Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Wonderslug posted:

Remember Bad Machinery was specifically intended to be all-ages-friendly.

Then remember the time Natalie got murdered by elderly arsonists, or the time Ryan's comatose body was tipped into a dumpster by a shady doctor and salvaged by devil-nuns, or the time Erin got engaged to the devil and was literally dragged into hell and erased from living memory.

It's more a return to form than anything.
Or the time a discarded protagonist got burned alive.

Btw, Saucy Bob's the one that engaged her. The devil merely officiated their union, shortly before it was annulled.it did not turn out well for Crowley nor the devil.

As for the arsonists, I forgot about them until this very thread brought them up. They've had their comeuppance from their turf war with Amy, but those old bats got away with murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Wyld Karde posted:

I wonder if Allison is pining for the old Scary-Go-Round crew and is working to get them back together, or if he's just rounding them up into a single spot so he can kill them all off in one go and be done with it?

Nah, this is a return to form due to the return of the Scary Go Round label. If he's gonna kill off a group of characters in one fell swoop, it's going to be Bad Machinery's main cast.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Leroy Dennui posted:

Nah, this is a return to form due to the return of the Scary Go Round label. If he's gonna kill off a group of characters in one fell swoop, it's going to be Bad Machinery's main cast.

:ohdear:

Couldn't they just...go into the background?

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
That seems highly unlikely. The only central cast member I can remember dying for keeps is Rachel, and that's stretching the definition of "central" to include "was intended to be important and then vanished for ages after like one chapter."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, I guess if Riley divorces TIm there's nothing to stand between him and Shelley except everybody concerned being eaten by devil bears.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Man, poor Scout. Most kids only think they're the reason Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce. She really is. :smith:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Man, poor Scout. Most kids only think they're the reason Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce. She really is. :smith:

Nah, you can really put the blame on Tim for leaving Scout around a dangerous machine unsupervised and on Riley for pretty much refusing to listen to Tim (or rather, for having a history of being so unreasonable that Tim won't even try to explain the truth to her for Scout's sake).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rand Brittain posted:

Nah, you can really put the blame on Tim for leaving Scout around a dangerous machine unsupervised and on Riley for pretty much refusing to listen to Tim (or rather, for having a history of being so unreasonable that Tim won't even try to explain the truth to her for Scout's sake).

I think given the resolution of Expecting to Fly, I feel like Tim is just stupid enough to think claiming the blame for someone else is the right and chivalrous thing to do.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Fangz posted:

I think given the resolution of Expecting to Fly, I feel like Tim is just stupid enough to think claiming the blame for someone else is the right and chivalrous thing to do.

Actually, the explanation for everything is very simple.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Actually, the explanation for everything is very simple.

You know, earlier today I questioned if Fallon was written off when she was sent to the island The Prisoner took place on. After reading a few strips past the one you posted, I found out that is not the case.

Whatever happened to Fallon Young?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I'm not sure what happened to Fallon, but I do remember that particular panel of her in the diner was reviewed by Allison on twitter or tumblr and he basically said "poo poo man, I took any excuse to pose those girls in ridiculous ways, didn't I?" I love John A.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nope, not going to test Erin, not at all, no sir. :stare:

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

:eyepop:

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Leroy Dennui posted:

You know, earlier today I questioned if Fallon was written off when she was sent to the island The Prisoner took place on. After reading a few strips past the one you posted, I found out that is not the case.

Whatever happened to Fallon Young?

I completely forgot this happened and that Fallon existed, and I'm pretty sure that's the reference that got me into SGR.

John Allison is great.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

ZearothK posted:

Fake Edit: Meeting Hellrin does actually sound reasonable, she showed up in the "Happy Festive Season" and the album chart, and this story did begin by making clear her human half became the Erin we've known these last few years.

Zearoth with the loving two week snipe, :bsdsnype: :drat:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I keep on forgetting how supernatural this comic actually is. It's like, everything seems relatively normal and grounded for the majority of the time (sure, there are it weirdos and oddities) and then, in the space of a few days, devil bear portals, death Gods and underworld queens are a thing.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

British Magical Realism.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I completely forgot this happened and that Fallon existed, and I'm pretty sure that's the reference that got me into SGR.

John Allison is great.

I blame Esurance for Fallon being phased out.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Erin's going super-saitan! :haw:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I keep on getting tempted to read the old Scary Go Round archive, but when I go to read it, my brain can't keep track of anything. I can't tell any of the characters apart, and they keep dying and coming back to life.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Welp, it looks like this is happening.

I wonder if we're going to see the return of Esther to Tackleford, especially since the Giant Days comic is getting released soon.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

The Boy Who Lived... but at what cost? :ohdear:

In other news, Len Pickering confirmed to be a freemason.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I keep on getting tempted to read the old Scary Go Round archive, but when I go to read it, my brain can't keep track of anything. I can't tell any of the characters apart, and they keep dying and coming back to life.

I kind of feel usage of Illustrator confined Allison's ability to make each of the characters distinct from each other; if you keep going until the hand-drawn strips become the norm, you may not have problems telling anybody apart. Everybody will stop dying and coming back to life not too long after that point as well.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

:siren:Today is apparently the ordering deadline for the Giant Days print comic! Inform your LCS!:siren:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Boycey leads a cursed life

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jackard posted:

Boycey leads a cursed life

I still maintain that Esther will likely be returning to Tackleford soonish (after Giant Days wraps up).

But dang, I'm sad for Erin. She lost out again. :smith:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

In contrast Tim leads a relatively charmed life but is boneheaded and keeps loving it up

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
The time travel teapots worked perfectly. It's just Tim failed to secure them from Shelley and Amy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well it look like the Shelley & Tim honeymoon period is over.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

Only if the portal connects to the Girl Genius setting

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jackard posted:

Only if the portal connects to the Girl Genius setting

That is arguably possible.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's already a crossover sort of thing going on between Girl Genius and Gunnerkrigg Court, might as well get all the other British webcomics.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I still maintain that Esther will likely be returning to Tackleford soonish (after Giant Days wraps up).

But dang, I'm sad for Erin. She lost out again. :smith:

You know I never really liked Erin when she was introduced, she seemed a straight man for a setting that didn't need one, and the grow juice/marriage thing happened and I was glad to see her go. I wonder if Allison felt the same, because he's worked a lot to redeem her in the recent arcs, and her last appearance is a powerful one. At the same time she's like a mirror to Shelly, for everything that happens to Shelly where she emerges unscathed (dying, relationships), Erin gets extra-scathed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Alternate ending: Erin pops out of the hell-portal for a twist ending.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Alternate ending: Erin pops out of the hell-portal for a twist ending.

WELL

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Winters sisters loving reunion. D'aww. :3:

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I don't know if this had been previously mentioned, but it looks like this is the end of the Tackleford gang.

http://sgrblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/on-continuity.html

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I don't know if this had been previously mentioned, but it looks like this is the end of the Tackleford gang.

That's a pity- I only started reading late in Bad Machinery, but I've become quite fond of the characters. Still, I've no doubt whatever John Allison does next will be outstanding.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It will be sad to see the "end" of these characters we've been enjoying for a long time, but I still think this is a good move. Bad Machinery and Giant Days were Allison's best work so far, and it certainly helped both of those projects that he made a concerted effort to make them "continuity independent". It was really good for Bad Machinery that you could read it without any SGR history, and John repeatedly tried to stress that fact, but the fact that that historical tie was there still was a psychological barrier to some new readers.

I'm excited to see what new characters and new worlds he invents.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I was wondering why that bummed me out so, until I realized that I've been reading comics about these characters every day for 13 years.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Yeah, I've been reading since the Bobbins era so I know I'm gonna have a hard time letting go of the Tackleverse, but Allison's more than earned my trust so I'm just gonna choke down the tears and do my best to approach whatever follows with an open mind.

Besides, going by Allison's prior track record at jettisoning old material, Shelley's gonna show up by the third story anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wyld Karde posted:

Winters sisters loving reunion. D'aww. :3:

:unsmith: that was the first time Shelley's seen Erin since she got back right?

Roach Warehouse posted:

:smith:

• Locked thread