Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Points for unironic scornful use of the word "plebeian."

Yeah I stopped at the first plebeian. If I know anything from /mu/, its that anyone who uses that is obviously a troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Plebeian is actually perfect here, because it's an example of a society in which no matter how hard your work, it's your birth that determines your rank and not your personal merits.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
People should ask him about a.little book calls "the Bible" that calls for wealth redistribution. Does he think the Bible isn't culturally relevant.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Cross posting this from the social media thread.

Dude who posted this on his wall is a 4channer. I know he goes to /k/, cause he did so at work. Probably goes to /pol/ as well.

It's just further evidence that the right will forever not understand why they lose votes. A black man was elected president!? Clearly it was based on demographics and affirmative action and not the fact that his platform actually appealed to more people than the GOPs.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Remember during the 2012 election when Romney said that running for the Presidency would be easier if he was Latino. They will never, under any circumstances recognise white male privilige, but think the privilige of everyone else is totally unfair.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

'Americans are so dumb that they'll vote for someone based on what they look like instead of what they stand for.' -Thomas Sowell

drat, if Fabio hadn't been born in Italy, we might've been able to say 'Hey, remember when our President was insanely handsome?'

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

'Americans are so dumb that they'll vote for someone based on what they look like instead of what they stand for.' -Thomas Sowell

If Americans actually had the time and processing power to look at voting records and budgets and policies instead of personalities, hoo boy.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Yo you guys want facebook comment on the NYT?

edit: oh here's a doozy from Jennifer Graham

quote:

You fail to see the purpose in bringing this up, over and over. No one alive now has a time machine to go back and right wrongs from 1,000 years ago. We all went to high school, so we don't need the smug history lesson. This is the moral equivalency argument that liberals and the media make because god forbid you criticize any thing that brown people do. This is Naziism all over again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

drat, if Fabio hadn't been born in Italy, we might've been able to say 'Hey, remember when our President was insanely handsome?'

Isn't that what JFK was for?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't that what JFK was for?

I dunno, I think Barack Obama actually looks pretty good for his age and workload. And if we're talking about him when he was younger? poo poo yeah, I'd have lit up with that guy.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Luigi Thirty posted:

There are 112 different and valid ways to spell Muammar Gaddafi, if you want to go for 1980s-vintage SNL jokes.

I got sent this today.

Points for unironic scornful use of the word "plebeian."
The whole article is just a massive helping of JustWorldFallacy.txt. It's such a concentration of that cliche I don't even know what else to say. He apparently hasn't even considered that the right might not all be Self-Made Ubermenchen or the poor might not all be Lazy Whiners.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Guilty Spork posted:

The whole article is just a massive helping of JustWorldFallacy.txt. It's such a concentration of that cliche I don't even know what else to say. He apparently hasn't even considered that the right might not all be Self-Made Ubermenchen or the poor might not all be Lazy Whiners.

Pussygeneration.txt

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Guilty Spork posted:

And how did Mr Ubermensch here manage to avoid being a "pussy"?

By getting punched in the face
http://elitedaily.com/money/entrepreneurship/how-to-live-a-successful-life-embrace-the-struggle/

And peddling toxic masculinity based personal training packages
http://chadhowsefitness.com/

(Fight Club: still relevant after all these years.)

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
A friend of mine poster on her facebook about seeing Fifty Shades in theaters and this was the very first reply. It may be the first time I've seen "ARE TROOPS" in the wild.

I assumed it was satire until my friend confirmed that this person actually talks like this all the time. I feel like I need to add this person on my facebook soley for more thread content :getin:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

You fail to see the purpose in bringing this up, over and over. No one alive now has a time machine to go back and right wrongs from 1,000 years ago. We all went to high school, so we don't need the smug history lesson. This is the moral equivalency argument that liberals and the media make because god forbid you criticize any thing that brown people do. This is Naziism all over again.

Yes because Naziism was all about championing the cause of minorities or anybody else "of color"...

Remember when that Christian extremist gunned down that abortion clinic? If it would have been a Muslim, it would have been deemed at "terrorist attack" instead of "a mental nutjob killing in the name of God". And there are people that I work with who legitimately defended what he did as morally acceptable...

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Can you guess what's wrong with this statement? Ben Carson Calls For No Rules In War

Also this BS:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

My word. More packages than a UPS truck. :gay: :unsmith:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Yes because Naziism was all about championing the cause of minorities or anybody else "of color"...

Remember when that Christian extremist gunned down that abortion clinic? If it would have been a Muslim, it would have been deemed at "terrorist attack" instead of "a mental nutjob killing in the name of God". And there are people that I work with who legitimately defended what he did as morally acceptable...

'We don't need a history lesson!' *proceeds to display a complete and utter ignorance of what fascism was*

Chimera-gui posted:

Can you guess what's wrong with this statement? Ben Carson Calls For No Rules In War

Also this BS:

*note: prior military experience does not count as real military experience if the candidate is not a Republican.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Chimera-gui posted:

Also this BS:

Is this from the Mission: Accomplished event, because lol if it is

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

ErIog posted:

My word. More packages than a UPS truck. :gay: :unsmith:

Anti-g suits like that have built in support, since you really don't want anything flopping about while you're trying to pilot.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Chimera-gui posted:

Also this BS:

the man with the X over his head is Hitler

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 17, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If your objective is to create a militarist state which prospers via an unending war against its neighbors then requiring military service before serving in political office is certainly a good idea. It worked for Rome.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Except veterans who actually saw some poo poo tend to be a lot more skittish and cautious about perpetual unnecessary war.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Except veterans who actually saw some poo poo tend to be a lot more skittish and cautious about perpetual unnecessary war.

Because they're Communist pussies.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The definition of "unnecessary" gets a little fluid. Eisenhower jumped right into Korea, JFK leapt into Vietnam and was a nuthair away from WWIII. GHWB ran into Kuwait. I'll omit GWB since the harrowing tales of the Air National Guard is unfairly discounted as "not having seen poo poo."

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chimera-gui posted:

Also this BS:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I think that's still the most infuriating image in all of politics to me to this day. Even that stupid smug baby meme isn't as bad (and it's bad). It just so obviously demonstrates how they don't give a gently caress about the "support our troops" poo poo they spout: it's a political tool, dumped by the wayside when it's convenient.

mirepoix
Mar 22, 2009
I think the most obvious way (other than the concept being disgusting) to throw a wrench into someone's poo poo when they claim that they only want a president who has military experience, is just throw out some of the many reasons an otherwise healthy person can be disqualified from joining.
http://navy.army.com/info/join/medical
Should you be banned from any chance of being president if you're missing a finger from a childhood accident? You have a bad peanut allergy or bee allergy? Deaf in one ear or blind in one eye? Bad car crash and you have a replacement hip?
What else should military service be a requirement for? Should any of those conditions ban you from being in congress?
Also, I'm career military, and I'd like to know what people who post poo poo like that mean when they say "military service." Do they mean any military service? Someone with deployments to an actual combat zone? An actual combat veteran? I don't think most people realize just what a small sliver of the american military actually is engaged in violence during their service, even during the past decade plus of war. Obviously if you're going to use bush in the image macro, you're setting the bar low.
I'm obviously thinking about this way too much, I know.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is from the last two or three pages, but yes, Lincoln was the worst President. He jailed people for just expressing certain beliefs, he defied the Supreme Court, he was literally a military dictator who ran a single-party (the National Union Party) state that killed its own citizens. His job was to protect the Constitution and the citizens of the United States of America and he trampled over it and murdered his own people. However, Lincoln did two things:

1. Kept the country together
2. Effectively ended slavery

I honestly think we have been stronger as a country together than apart, and slavery was an unmitigated evil. My grandmother's grandfather fought in the Army of Northern Virginia, and lost his two brothers, and I think they and plenty of others were worth it to end slavery. The Confederacy was founded on slavery, existed only to promote the interests of slave-owners, and anything else is complete bullshit.

Basically I think of Lincoln's presidency the same way I think of the work done by people in a slaughterhouse. I don't like what we do to animals, I think they're more intelligent than we give them credit for, and today's industrialized production processes are way more cruel than they need to be. I never want to actually see the inside of a meat packing facility, ever. However, I'm still going to eat burgers and fried chicken. So if I'm going to engage in that behavior I have to accept the system as it is. I feel the same about the results of the Civil War and the actions of Lincoln in particular. I still feel that he did some horrible things that should not be applauded or emulated.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

What about McCain?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

This is from the last two or three pages, but yes, Lincoln was the worst President. He jailed people for just expressing certain beliefs, he defied the Supreme Court, he was literally a military dictator who ran a single-party (the National Union Party) state that killed its own citizens.

Even granted that, I still don't know if that puts him below Andrew Jackson. Genocide's pretty hard to beat.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Idran posted:

Even granted that, I still don't know if that puts him below Andrew Jackson. Genocide's pretty hard to beat.

Lincoln was also not the best on indian affairs.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Idran posted:

But Jackson is clearly in the Chaotic Neutral square! :ohdear:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Technically you could also make the argument that a head of state's first duty is to the state and its citizens, and gently caress everybody else. It's a rather distasteful viewpoint and not one that I would advocate taking to the extremes of genocide, but if you're arguing about someone's worth as a head of state and not a human being, it's probably more technically correct.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

OAquinas posted:

The definition of "unnecessary" gets a little fluid. Eisenhower jumped right into Korea, JFK leapt into Vietnam and was a nuthair away from WWIII. GHWB ran into Kuwait. I'll omit GWB since the harrowing tales of the Air National Guard is unfairly discounted as "not having seen poo poo."

Eisenhower jumped way the hell out of Korea. It went from July 1950 to July 1953. Eisenhower didn't take office until Jan 1953 and within 6 months there was a signed negotiated ceasefire. And while JFK may have started some involvement in Vietnam, he ordered in a presence that was several orders of magnitude smaller than what ended up happening after his death. And considering RFK's anti-war stance (and his insistence that his brother wouldn't have supported this policy) there's no reason to assume Kennedy would have done what Johnson ended up doing.

Vietnam troop levels by year:

Cpt.Americant fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 17, 2015

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

mirepoix posted:

I think the most obvious way (other than the concept being disgusting) to throw a wrench into someone's poo poo when they claim that they only want a president who has military experience, is just throw out some of the many reasons an otherwise healthy person can be disqualified from joining.
http://navy.army.com/info/join/medical
Should you be banned from any chance of being president if you're missing a finger from a childhood accident? You have a bad peanut allergy or bee allergy? Deaf in one ear or blind in one eye? Bad car crash and you have a replacement hip?
What else should military service be a requirement for? Should any of those conditions ban you from being in congress?
Also, I'm career military, and I'd like to know what people who post poo poo like that mean when they say "military service." Do they mean any military service? Someone with deployments to an actual combat zone? An actual combat veteran? I don't think most people realize just what a small sliver of the american military actually is engaged in violence during their service, even during the past decade plus of war. Obviously if you're going to use bush in the image macro, you're setting the bar low.
I'm obviously thinking about this way too much, I know.

Yeah, I know a guy who did several years in the Air Force and spent basically his entire military career working in a pretty ordinary office cubicle thousands of miles away from any conflict zone, never firing a gun outside of a target range for his entire time in service, but something tells me he'd be held up as a genuine war hero if he suddenly decided to join the Republican Party and run for office.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Chimera-gui posted:

Also this BS:

only if they understand the need to keep The Confederacy trapped 'neath a union bootheel

I'm not votin' for no closet secessionist like Hancock, no matter how many Gettysburgs he won. I would rather vote for a hundred fat yankee oligarchs.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 17, 2015

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Shbobdb posted:

People should ask him about a.little book calls "the Bible" that calls for wealth redistribution. Does he think the Bible isn't culturally relevant.

Unless someone is a very public and avowed Christian, or is already talking about basing policy on the Bible in a specific argument, I find it's best to avoid invoking the Bible as a gotcha in terms of moral economic policy. At this point, there are a lot of libertarians and conservatives who will sidestep these arguments really smugly by saying they're not religious. I've even seen people I know to be at least somewhat religious sidestep the matter this way, which is hilarious because it's virtually the same as Peter denying Jesus but they do it to, uh, avoid confronting cognitive dissonance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah, I know a guy who did several years in the Air Force and spent basically his entire military career working in a pretty ordinary office cubicle thousands of miles away from any conflict zone, never firing a gun outside of a target range for his entire time in service, but something tells me he'd be held up as a genuine war hero if he suddenly decided to join the Republican Party and run for office.

Isn't that pretty much what Nixon did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Tucker Doubt is a buddy of mine who's also a musician and has a bunch of musician friends, some of whom are apparently completely insane. The second to last comment is really the icing on the cake.