Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

I found out Wildbow has insight in low screentime characters and his writing process scattered around the internet. Mostly for Worm. Apparently there was a realistic chance Taylor would have died during Leviathan, as he rolled dice to determine survival for his mass extinction scenarios. His original choice was to have continued on as Aegis, but we see how that worked out.

And people say grrm is capricious with the fates of his characters...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read qntm's Fine Structure today. It's a hell of a story, he covers a lot of similar territory to what was later in Ra.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Namarrgon posted:

I found out Wildbow has insight in low screentime characters and his writing process scattered around the internet. Mostly for Worm. Apparently there was a realistic chance Taylor would have died during Leviathan, as he rolled dice to determine survival for his mass extinction scenarios. His original choice was to have continued on as Aegis, but we see how that worked out.

Wonder if he/she/it did that for Parian's girlfriend whose name I can't remember during the S9 finale. :ohdear:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

All authors should dice roll for character life or death in battle This will only make books better.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Namarrgon posted:

I would have preferred this because while I think she was well written, I did not like Taylor at all.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Neurosis posted:

I would have preferred this because while I think she was well written, I did not like Taylor at all.

Takes some balls to kill your protagonist off and switch though, very few books can pull it off.

I liked Taylor but Worm's relentless escalation got to the point where I was just "Okay, there's no way she should be alive by now" and it really killed it for me. Pact is starting to get to the same point, but if it's really ending it might do it just in time.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk, taylor's absurd survivability started to make more sense when it became clear that her shard at its core was about pulling a solution out of the resources at her disposal

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah it became obvious that her shard was more of a thinker shard akin to the numbers man etc than some random low level power. "Queen administrator" rather than "insect girl."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it just happened to latch onto the concept of bugs as a fairly omnipresent and versatile resource during the moment of traumatic awakening, really

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I forget how off the wall the ending got, I really didn't follow all of it and missed that part. Or just plain forgot over time.

But since you don't find that out until near the end, it didn't really help that I was getting a bit incredulous around the Slaughter House 9 arc and definitely lost any sense of actual threat for the events that followed with Dragon or Noelle and that's still waaaaaaay off the reveal that it was the Shard all along. Worm felt like it should have ended with Coil. He was the last bad guy who really hit the mark for me, Jack's just a psychopath, Scion is some alien minded thing and Mother we just never got to spend enough time with to care about. If there was a time to kill Taylor off and start with Worm 2.0 it was after Coil got dealt with.

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 16, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blake mentions that he is subject to Rose’s weakness while possessing her.

The Barber is possessing Johannes.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
So under ideal circumstances, fighting a mortal practitioner in their own demesne should be near-impossible right?

Good luck Blake and co.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Well the practitioner they're fighting isn't mortal! That's something right?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

"Ah, you see, but the fact that you cannot be killed is actually a weakness!"

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Namarrgon posted:

"Ah, you see, but the fact that you cannot be killed is actually a weakness!"

Knowing Wildbow this might actually be the case.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Well I didn't make it up out of nowhere; it was hinted at with the Sphinx. Others that are very long-lived tend to think on a longer timescale and may be more affected by demons. Presumable being human or something in a similar timespan makes you a bit more reckless and ready to do things long-lived Others might not see coming. I have no idea how that would apply to something like the Barber though.

BTW, Lola is still Padriac right?

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
No, I think Lola's who everyone thinks she is. Joanna is the fake, I think.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Everyone who isn't Human is just a fuckin' Fairy anyway...

Isn't that something that we saw in the different scenes shown to Blake when he inherited the Thorburn karma/etc?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Blasphemeral posted:

Ok, if that's actually where he is. If not, talking about that spoils the end. Hence people asking him to clarify what he's talking about. I mean, thinking "gently caress this Saint guy" before then is totally a thing you could do.

Very belatedly - yeah, that's where I was. Saint did the bad thing.

But everything turned out okay for Colin and Dragon. :3

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm getting increasingly bored with Pact. It just hasn't been interesting in like a month or more. I want some serious plot-advancing things to happen and instead we're getting tons of filler action. We didn't really need 50,000 words about Blake killing some DuChamp redshirts or 20,000 words about a Dragon and Giant that disappeared off the stage as quickly as they entered it.

This is what happened to me, unfortunately, right at the dragon and giant part. I loved Pact when it started and I still think the world is really cool, but Blake went through so many changes so quickly and it never had the, well, slick coolness that Worm had. I'd still rate Pact highly but it's more of a 3.5-4 out of 5 than Worm's 5/5, if that makes sense. Pact just had so much fighting and, honestly, doesn't have the same character moments like Worm does. Even if I really liked a lot of the characters (Green Eyes, Evan, etc) they just don't grow and develop as much. Compare virtually any of them to, say, Armsmaster. Great world though.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Completely true on all accounts. So, did the Barber just cut off the 'weak/dying' part of the dragon and essentially fabricate a new one? That is actually somewhat funny.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I get the impression that he finished his cut just before Blake made his stab.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Same thing really; net result is that Blake murders the 'weak' dragon and the Barber spawns a 'strong' dragon.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Peter is a loving godsend.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

Same thing really; net result is that Blake murders the 'weak' dragon and the Barber spawns a 'strong' dragon.

Which is, to be fair, better than the alternative of Blake NOT having killed the 'weak' dragon...

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

How many arcs are left do we know? This is getting out of hand.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Not many, there's another month or so of updates at most I think?

My Girlfriend's Account
Aug 19, 2004
Looks like one more update, the Epilogue, and then we're moving on to Twig.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
It had it's ups and downs, some of the slow parts dragged on a little too much for me, but in the end I enjoyed Pact.
Wildbow keeps on coming up with characters I get attached to.

I was hoping he went with Face out of the four story introductions, but Pact was good as well.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I really hope Twig doesn't have the same sort of pyrrhic ending that Worm and Pact both had. Can we please get a Wildbow protagonist that eventually winds up ahead, and stays there?

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Pact posted:

“Go, Buttsack!” Mags ordered.

“gently caress you!” Buttsack replied.

You don't have enough badges to train me!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

People keep talkign about Twig, where does the name come from? Do we know the setting yet?

I don't follow the comments, FTR.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

blastron posted:

I really hope Twig doesn't have the same sort of pyrrhic ending that Worm and Pact both had. Can we please get a Wildbow protagonist that eventually winds up ahead, and stays there?

Part of the reason I like Wildbow's work is because I don't see too many pyrrhic endings in other works.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm not sure it makes sense for him to immediately start his next story. Pact ended up being a badly plotted mess in spite of starting with an interesting premise and character, probably because Wildbow was forced to make it all up as he went.

Worm was better on most levels but suffered badly from author fatigue and a rushed ending. He should take some time writing up some background material before leaping headlong into another year of writing of dubious quality.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Velius posted:

I'm not sure it makes sense for him to immediately start his next story. Pact ended up being a badly plotted mess in spite of starting with an interesting premise and character, probably because Wildbow was forced to make it all up as he went.

Worm was better on most levels but suffered badly from author fatigue and a rushed ending. He should take some time writing up some background material before leaping headlong into another year of writing of dubious quality.

Agreed, he had written so much in the Worm setting before he ever started publishing it and you can really tell (especially the early parts).

Part of me hopes he eventually does a Pact reboot in a different setting with different characters and uses the Blake story in a similar manner to the unpublished Worm stuff. I thought it was a really cool world but the action was mostly physical rather than magical which I found less enjoyable. I was hoping for more magic/strategy not just chopping stuff up with the hyena.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Overall I liked Pact but it had some rough patches.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lyon posted:

Agreed, he had written so much in the Worm setting before he ever started publishing it and you can really tell (especially the early parts).

Part of me hopes he eventually does a Pact reboot in a different setting with different characters and uses the Blake story in a similar manner to the unpublished Worm stuff.

His big break into tradpublishing will be when he sells the first Maggie Holt novel to Scholastic.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I would not be opposed to a Maggie Holt book, their arc was just a lot more satisfying than any of Blakes. Though that may be because Maggie at least had some idea of whats going on, while Blake never really gets to the point where he has a clue and pretty much brute forces his way through the entire plot.

Also Goblins.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Velius posted:

I thought the roughness was due to real life taking a serious toll on him. His mom in the hospital, his brothers wedding, his moving... I'd totally trust 'bow to immediately move on to greener pastures.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Velius posted:

He should take some time writing up some background material before leaping headlong into another year of writing of dubious quality.

At this points I think a lot of his income's been coming from the donations his stories bring in. No updates probably means no donations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Pavlov posted:

At this points I think a lot of his income's been coming from the donations his stories bring in. No updates probably means no donations.

He's got a Patreon account closing in on 2k a month from supporters.

If kicking some money to him every month helps keep his writing going, I am more then happy to do so.

• Locked thread