Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Chard posted:

Picked this up the other day and I'm already in a passionate, abusive love/hate relationship with it. I'm still a bit overwhelmed by all the things I can do to/for heroes but I've been having good success running Occultist/PD or Vestal/melee/Leper. I really like Lepers, they make better tanks than Crusaders imo. Holy lance seems really weird?

Anyway, earlier people were posting about thematic quirk progressions. My newest Leper is like that. Aside from various pieces of him dropping off at random, he's also extra sickly, super-extra scared of dying, shits himself constantly, and to top it all off he caught syphilis the very first time he went to the brothel. On the plus side, if it looks vaguely human he can kill it real good. The unluckiest blade swinger in the world

:smith:
drat, that poor guy's got it rough. Isn't having leprosy bad enough?

The Leper has turned into one of my favorite classes. They're just so great thematically, and get some really good lines.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Radiochromatic posted:

Honestly, the only hard part is figuring out a tactic, and getting there with minimal damage. The bosses are, so far, pretty easy. If you can clear them once, then you'll clear them a second time and a third. Usually the trick is to bring two Hellions with If It Bleeds, and bleed everything.

Incidentally, I just got done wiping the floor with the Swine King, and every adventurer came back with the Nymphomania quirk. I don't even want to know.

I got lucky against the Hag, she didn't keep throwing the same guy into the pot. My hellion had a clutch crit on it a few times too. Is the Swine King always in the front? That messed up my lineup the first time I fought him. I ran, but still lost a good teammate.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The good news is that backtracking doesn't hurt your torchlight that bad.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Is there any way, any way at all to speed up combat? Besides disabling he pivot camera, which I have done.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Wow fungal artillery are huge pieces of poo poo. It feels like they have way too much HP for a backline unit that can and does spam blight constantly.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I was stupidly lucky on my first fight against the Swine Prince. My hellion and highwayman were at death's door almost the entire fight, and the Swine Prince's repeated onslaughts just were not killing them. After they killed the Swine Prince the hellion died to, of all things, Wilbur's Squeal.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Viridiant posted:

I was stupidly lucky on my first fight against the Swine Prince. My hellion and highwayman were at death's door almost the entire fight, and the Swine Prince's repeated onslaughts just were not killing them. After they killed the Swine Prince the hellion died to, of all things, Wilbur's Squeal.

SOME PIG!

But not Pig Supreme, that sounds like a rich dessert.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
My first fight against swine prince I forgot to equip my trinkets... the trinkets I had planned to equip were low light ones, so I hadn't brought any torches anyways. Got lucky with an easy map (a grid, so I knew exactly where to go to get to the boss, the farthest room from my spawn, and the path was much shorter than normal, 3 rooms between us) and lucky targeting by Wilbur (always my crusader/leper so I could just raise protection), and won. Then I proceeded to clear a few other rooms then rested to clear stress and went back to town VICTORIOUS.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Viridiant posted:

After they killed the Swine Prince the hellion died to, of all things, Wilbur's Squeal.
That's how my level 5 Vestal died. :negative:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I just lost my level 4 Hellion in the most :xcom: way. The first fight in the dungeon is the 2 webber+2 spitter spider fight. All the spiders go first. First up webber crits hellion for 5 and marks her. Both the spitters go, both attack the hellion, both crit for 20+ and put her on death's door. Hellion gets her turn, takes a tick of blight and dies. First round of the first fight in the dungeon before anyone else got a chance to go.

The three survivors then proceeded to finish the dungeon flawlessly and all three left with 0 stress in the end.

Now that 90% of my team is level 3 I dread trying to train up a new hellion.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I've had some good success with the HealVestal-Bountypuller-dual Highwayman frontal PBS combo, just killed Apprentice Necromancer without a sweat since i could kill all of his little skeletons in about one shot and could get around 8-12(18+ on crits) damage per shot, not to mention all the other fights where i could pull the more annoying enemies to the front to get PBS'd in the face repeatedly. :jihad::hf::black101:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

I just lost my level 4 Hellion in the most :xcom: way. The first fight in the dungeon is the 2 webber+2 spitter spider fight. All the spiders go first. First up webber crits hellion for 5 and marks her. Both the spitters go, both attack the hellion, both crit for 20+ and put her on death's door. Hellion gets her turn, takes a tick of blight and dies. First round of the first fight in the dungeon before anyone else got a chance to go.

The three survivors then proceeded to finish the dungeon flawlessly and all three left with 0 stress in the end.

Now that 90% of my team is level 3 I dread trying to train up a new hellion.

Poor luck like that aside, I find Hellions are still super good enough that they can take on higher level quests just fine if everyone else is the proper level.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

The biggest problem with blight skills at the moment is that all the enemies it might conceivably be useful to stack DOTs against are hugely resistant to everything except getting stabbed.

Swine Prince/King/God makes a lot of sense to DoT the gently caress out of, since at least the Prince level had flat 0% resist to blight and bleed and enough HP that you can reasonably expect that your stacked DoTs are gonna run most of their course. Never loved my Plague Doc more than when she was throwing toxic bombs at that fucker, by the time he keeled over she had him eating 16 damage before he could move.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

poptart_fairy posted:

I totally missed the plague doctor was a woman. :psyduck:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Jester may be also.

..new arrival at the stagecoach.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Jackard posted:

If a woman can be named Bernaul then a man can be named Lucy. Youre seeing meaning in absolute random chance. Characters are named after a very limited pool of names completely randomly. Quirks are entirely random as well currently.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

Respect the gender identity of your adventurers, please.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Respect the gender identity of your adventurers, please.

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

Rest In Peace, Neufmarche, who died trying to clear rubble without a shovel.

I imagine she just passed out of exhaustion, while everyone was screaming insults in her ears, then left her to die while they hauled the loot home. (Everyone was afflicted and I was trying to push for the last room.)

This game is pretty great though, the moments of tension later on are a little less common, but when you're at death's door for one reason or another or something does go wrong, you can really feel it, even if your heroes aren't instantly maxing out their stress. It takes a little bit of imagination, I personally create little bits of narrative for each mission, and later on you have so much loot you come home with no supplies whatsoever (I think this is intentional, but long dungeons have a ton of loot so I feel like Im throwing out a lot of it) and 60+ crests.

I assume part of the challenge is balancing heirlooms and normal loot(gold and gems)!

Mottie fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 16, 2015

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Would it be unbalancing if the Survivalist sold a skill that allowed you to stack items 1 higher at each rank?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

[<str_death_trap_obstacle>] makes it seem like the game maybe had it in for her.

Time_pants posted:

Would it be unbalancing if the Survivalist sold a skill that allowed you to stack items 1 higher at each rank?

I'd prefer it if the Provision screen just sold bags that were maybe on the order of 500 gold for like 4 more slots.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The survivalist has stuff that exclusively affects the camp screen, having one random exception would be weird. The inventory limit itself is probably a calculated thing on the developers' part - coming back with a full inventory of heirlooms and gold, with absolutely nothing else, is insanely profitable. I remember on my last Necromancer run I came back with like three dozen Crests, a dozen Busts, some assorted other Paintings and Deeds, and almost 12000 in gold. Those guys basically paid for maxing out the Abbey's prayer chambers and improving the armor of every hero in the hamlet, in one run. It was awesome and insane and if I had more runs like that I'd probably have the entire game cleared by now.

That said, one of the complaints with the game is that it's super grindy so being able to fork over 1k for another line of inventory would probably help that quite a lot.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but is there any word on when the other areas will be finished? I've killed all nine bosses and am sort of at a loss for things to do in this game now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

PresidentBeard posted:

So sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but is there any word on when the other areas will be finished? I've killed all nine bosses and am sort of at a loss for things to do in this game now.
in 6 month prolly

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Waffle! posted:

I got lucky against the Hag, she didn't keep throwing the same guy into the pot. My hellion had a clutch crit on it a few times too. Is the Swine King always in the front? That messed up my lineup the first time I fought him. I ran, but still lost a good teammate.

Yeah, the Swine King is always in front. All the bosses, at every level, are exactly the same as the earlier ones. The only difference is their HP, accuracy, dodge, and resistances. All of which are mitigated by the fact that upgrading weapons increases your damage, upgrading armor increases your dodge, and upgrading skills increases your accuracy and effectiveness of afflictions. If you can beat the apprentice version, then you can beat the veteran and champion versions, with the exact same party.

Really, the only advice I stress is to camp early on boss runs. Build a team that can handle the boss, and have them use buff skills. Scouting and surprise increases are good for getting to a boss in good health. Increase crit and accuracy on your main damage dealer, and you'll be wiping the floor with random encounters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Did they buff the dogs in the weald or something? Every encounter with them today has been horrible. They always get to go first all of a sudden and have a bizarre crit rate. I almost lost a good healer because they just would not stop critting and going before anyone could heal.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Everyone's at 85+ stress, <20% health, but I just need this ONE... LAST... ROOM... to finish the quest.......

RIP all four dudes and a few rare trinkets :suicide:

That snowball effect from one dude freaking out and making everyone else freak out is the worst.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If you have an exploration quest, does a room count as explored if you go in, there's a fight, and you bail on it? Or do you have to finish the fight for the room to count as visited?

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Lotish posted:

If you have an exploration quest, does a room count as explored if you go in, there's a fight, and you bail on it? Or do you have to finish the fight for the room to count as visited?

Thankfully it does count.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Radiochromatic posted:

Really, the only advice I stress is to camp early on boss runs. Build a team that can handle the boss, and have them use buff skills. Scouting and surprise increases are good for getting to a boss in good health. Increase crit and accuracy on your main damage dealer, and you'll be wiping the floor with random encounters.

For boss runs I usually camp later. I find the boost to HP is well worth feasting at just over half-way. I usually run Vestal, Bounty Hunter, Hellion, Hellion on boss runs.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Did they stealth patch the difficulty over the weekend? I started a new track since my first save slot got stonewalled at Necromancer and I had a roster of 13 stressed and senile adventurers. First dive into the ruins ended in four dead. It was a hilariously tragic combination of RNG and just bad luck striking at the worst times every step of the way.

I immediately started over on a new save slot again, getting my first party into the ruins without issue. Again RNG seemed to be against me and it was a brutal slog the entire way. I lost Dismas and ended with the other three at 100 stress and afflicted. I was really at a loss for why this was so difficult when i flew through it without problems during my very first game.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Does speed do anything after the first round? Is the turn order completely random starting at round 2? I've had the same skeleton go last at the end of a round and first at the beginning of the next. Sometimes it just feels like the mobs take as many turns as they want.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah turn order is re-randomized every round. Speed does affect it, but as with everything in this game, sometimes the RNG just decides to ignore all your stats and do what it wants.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Antares posted:

Does speed do anything after the first round? Is the turn order completely random starting at round 2? I've had the same skeleton go last at the end of a round and first at the beginning of the next. Sometimes it just feels like the mobs take as many turns as they want.

Speed helps, but initiative for every round is basically speed + RNG. I have a feeling the start of fights usually favour the player, but that might just be conjecture

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Antares posted:

Its like D&D Initiative; Roll 20 add your bonus. If the bonus is less than 20, people are still going to go first who have super low speed at times. That's RNG.

In this case we don't even know what the die size is. It could be 1-100 + speed, 1-1000, who knows. But yes, speed does matter for rounds after the first.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zaphod42 posted:

Its like D&D Initiative; Roll 20 add your bonus. If the bonus is less than 20, people are still going to go first who have super low speed at times. That's RNG.

In this case we don't even know what the die size is. It could be 1-100 + speed, 1-1000, who knows. But yes, speed does matter for rounds after the first.

It seems to be a d6. If you get +5 speed or better you will essentially always go first. This makes the Jester's buff song and the Occultists' camp buff very powerful.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Obviously it cannot be anything that high, or you wouldn't notice a difference in SPD.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I have camped late in the three boss runs I've done, but only because it's my A team and they kick the poo poo out of the dungeon. I usually get half in with a little stress and damage, camp to top off and get buffs, then take out the fight or two left before the boss.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dackel posted:

Speed helps, but initiative for every round is basically speed + RNG. I have a feeling the start of fights usually favour the player, but that might just be conjecture

I've usually been beaten on initiative pretty consitently unless my SPD stat is sitting somewhere like 6 or 7 and above, and then I consistently go first every round.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Legacyspy posted:

Even pitch black runs are super easy. I'm running around with like 40% crit and 50% dodge in the dark on a team of robber,robber,robber,occultist.

Lunge is super powerful. 40% and 10% base crit. Basically most of the enemy dies on the first turn, it takes 1-2 hits or a crit to kill someone.
Enemies are all dead by the second turn.
Since enemies get little chance to attack me, my dodge rate means I hardly take damage. So most runs I don't even need the occultist's heals.
Hes just in case something goes super wrong and because
I have no one else lvl 4 to run.

The lunge chain is a thing of beauty when it goes right, but how do you ensure that your robbers go in the right order? I keep my highest speed in the 3 slot, second highest in the 2, slowest in the 1, but it seems like half the time the 1 or 2 goes first and can't lunge. The alternative is to put the cultist/vestal in the #1 slot, but then they can't heal. Is it just a matter of developing bigger speed differentials between my robbers or am I just missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

how me a frog posted:

"Don't bring torches if you think the game is too easy" is akin to saying "don't play well" and is as such incredibly asinine.

This is a very dumb way of thinking, and as such you are incredibly asinine. :chord:

Choosing to run with no torches is this games way of allowing you to do a self imposed restricted run, just like nethack has Vegan or pacifist runs that are, you know, self imposed. You could also -GASP- make a party that is not the absolute most optimal pairing of classes for FUN or something different. Hell, you could self impose an entire run where you don't use any hellions.

Oh or like X-com having an achievement for doing all of Vanilla with a squad of 4 or a downed UFO with 1 soldier. Or like classic xcom where many people decided to do self imposed no psychic runs, which were so popular they ended up adding it as an option in Open Xcom.

Doing these types of runs has absolutely nothing to do with "not playing well." It's just another play style, nothing more or less.