Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
That save point down there is just loving evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What if the, uh, monkeys fell down there before GameFAQ's existed?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Are there statistics anywhere for how many people are making however much money by playing video games for Twitch/YouTube? I want to stare into the abyss.

I don't know about statistics since a lot of money comes through donations rather than just ad payments, but there are big streamers out there making 6 figures. I wouldn't be surprised if Pewdiepie could pull in a million or more annually.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I heard pewdiepie is more like 4 mill a year

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

What if the, uh, monkeys fell down there before GameFAQ's existed?

alt.games.help

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
That fucker.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
You could call the nintendo tip line if you got stuck down there but it just played a recording of the noises the animals make when they wall jump correctly.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

a cop posted:

What's wrong with big bouncing tits?

in life you can only choose one; tits in my face or tits in my game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least until Hololens.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That new Mortal Kombat was as pervy as DOA. Bloodier tits though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Herr Direktor posted:

You could call the nintendo tip line if you got stuck down there but it just played a recording of the noises the animals make when they wall jump correctly.
Haha, I always wondered what a telephone tip line could do to help you with an action game problem like that.

edit: seriously though did DOA5 Ultimate or this new one bring back fun stages? I bought DOA5 and was sad to see there are no stages where you can kick someone down the stairs or slam their head through a concrete pillar. All my memories of previous DOA games are made of things like that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Via the game's many updates they added a couple of backgrounds with multiple levels/things to knock people into that are almost on par with the old temple backgrounds. But nothing will ever touch the dinosaur island in DoA4 and the cliffs in DoA2 Ultimate. :3:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

But nothing will ever touch the dinosaur island in DoA4 and the cliffs in DoA2 Ultimate. :3:
So basically they were like "we want to make this game more fun, but it's against the rules to make it as fun as DOA2 or 4...what should we do?"

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I don't know about statistics since a lot of money comes through donations rather than just ad payments, but there are big streamers out there making 6 figures. I wouldn't be surprised if Pewdiepie could pull in a million or more annually.

If there are like 8 people that are making 6 figures or a million dollars a year by playing videogames I can accept that and just say "what a world!". If there are hundreds or thousands of people living a comfortable middle class existence by playing video games it would destroy me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There are hundreds or thousands of people who make a comfortable middle class existence by talking about bullshit on the radio, what's the difference

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There are hundreds or thousands of people who make a comfortable middle class existence by talking about bullshit on the radio, what's the difference

What the gently caress is a radio?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

If there are like 8 people that are making 6 figures or a million dollars a year by playing videogames I can accept that and just say "what a world!". If there are hundreds or thousands of people living a comfortable middle class existence by playing video games it would destroy me.
There are some Twitch channels that have 1800-2000+ rotating subscribers. Streamers get $2.50 of every $5 sub, so $4500 a month, $54,000 a year.

Then factor donations on top or other revenue streams.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Aphrodite posted:

I think they mean podcast.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They're like podcasts, but for old people.

Also that Order interview is hilarious. "If you want to talk about the number of gameplay mechanics, we probably have a lot more than normally any single game would have." I assume he is trying to sell lockpicking minigames as puzzle gameplay and walking around a room until you find the lever to pull as exploration

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did someone invent naked Twitch yet? Seems like combining those 2 worlds would bring in the subscriptions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They're like podcasts, but for old people.

Also that Order interview is hilarious. "If you want to talk about the number of gameplay mechanics, we probably have a lot more than normally any single game would have." I assume he is trying to sell lockpicking minigames as puzzle gameplay and walking around a room until you find the lever to pull as exploration
In flipping around between parts of the playthrough I saw a minigame where you need to balance this mercury-filled steampunk device for a bit, and then put it down again. Apparently it was part of a segment just showing off mysterious steampunk tech that has nothing to do with the game.

edit: of course, it's clear that us in here have a much narrower definition of what is considered "the game" than the developers...and maybe most consumers?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 16, 2015

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Aphrodite posted:

Did someone invent naked Twitch yet? Seems like combining those 2 worlds would bring in the subscriptions.

That was basically what got the Playroom banned from Twitch.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Harlock posted:

There are some Twitch channels that have 1800-2000+ rotating subscribers. Streamers get $2.50 of every $5 sub, so $4500 a month, $54,000 a year.

Then factor donations on top or other revenue streams.

Not bad at all. Then again, there really aren't that many streamers that have 1800-2000+ rotating subscribers. Not hundreds of them, at least.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

They actually banned no-shirt streams because some freaky speedrunner used to do it.

He also had a habit of punching himself in the face.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sounds like that's a no then. We need to strike before someone else does.

I have an old 2003 Dell Dimension and a Linksys router lying around, so I think I have better equipment than Twitch.

Hire a few of the cheapest 'models' from a cam site and send them a Playstation. Charge users $29.99 a month, each.

No Xboxes. This is a classy establishment.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

:hchatter: They are not getting the money for playing vidya games, they are entertainers who would have been radio jockeys or local TVstation hosts in the past.

Speedrunners have the skill but they're not usually the ones getting lots of views, unless they're also charismatic at the same time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

snodig posted:

They actually banned no-shirt streams because some freaky speedrunner used to do it.

He also had a habit of punching himself in the face.

What the hell? Why would someone do this? This reminds me of the movie Foxcatcher.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The term is, 'content creators.'

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

What the hell? Why would someone do this? This reminds me of the movie Foxcatcher.
Maybe the same impulses that lead someone to be a professional speedrunner.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
People that got in on the ground floor of streaming are living pretty good. I salute their cunningness.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Caleb is loving Crazy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

snodig posted:

People that got in on the ground floor of streaming are living pretty good. I salute their cunningness.

This is the part I don't understand at all. Like I can understand how a thousand people might send a streamer 5 or 10 bucks every so often. But who pays 50,000 to some guy to play video games? If they've got that kind of cash lying around, they should donate that money to charity or blow it in Vegas or if they want to keep it in video games buy a video game spaceship

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is the part I don't understand at all. Like I can understand how a thousand people might send a streamer 5 or 10 bucks every so often. But who pays 50,000 to some guy to play video games? If they've got that kind of cash lying around, they should donate that money to charity or blow it in Vegas or if they want to keep it in video games buy a video game spaceship

I have no idea. But some of the people I follow are just genuinely funny and pretty good at the game which to me, is a rarity among twitch streamers.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speculation is it was a Saudi Prince donating to World of Warcraft streamers.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So this is a thing that happened to me today:

Me and my friend both bought a copy of Nidhogg because Playstation Blog claimed here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/14/nidhogg-out-today-on-ps4-vita-pstv/ that you can cross play across platforms like Vita vs. PS4. I have a PS4 and my friend owns a VITA so we thought this would be cool. Well apparently this feature in non-existent. Neither Vita nor PS4 recognized game invites across platforms when we tried this. The funny thing is that this blog entry was written by the co-founder of the studio that made this game. Does anyone have any insight on this matter because we'd like to get a refund for this misleading advertising.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
So I gave shareplay a try over this weekend, great concept but is the buddy you are share playing with really limited to an hour total of playtime? I thought it was an hour per session but couldn't figure a way to implement a 2nd play sessions.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

xxEightxx posted:

So I gave shareplay a try over this weekend, great concept but is the buddy you are share playing with really limited to an hour total of playtime? I thought it was an hour per session but couldn't figure a way to implement a 2nd play sessions.

Its an hour per session and you just start a new session.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Most of these people make nothing.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

So this is a thing that happened to me today:

Me and my friend both bought a copy of Nidhogg because Playstation Blog claimed here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/14/nidhogg-out-today-on-ps4-vita-pstv/ that you can cross play across platforms like Vita vs. PS4. I have a PS4 and my friend owns a VITA so we thought this would be cool. Well apparently this feature in non-existent. Neither Vita nor PS4 recognized game invites across platforms when we tried this. The funny thing is that this blog entry was written by the co-founder of the studio that made this game. Does anyone have any insight on this matter because we'd like to get a refund for this misleading advertising.

I don't have any helpful info, but it sounds like either you hit a bug or you were doing it wrong. I don't think they'd write up a whole blog post advertising a feature they have no plans of implementing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Most of these people make nothing.

You need like a Youtube channel where you're putting up videos every single day and all of them are getting over 1 million views within 24 hours in order to make a living doing this.

• Locked thread