Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Still...kinda pink...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Son are you trolling or is your one monitor completely off?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How's the skin tone here?

Simone by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

I dig it! Still has a red tint though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
There's magenta in all your photos.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Still...kinda pink...

I'm sitting here like "...really?"

I might need to recalibrate my monitor. Or get my eyes checked. :/

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's still pink.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Yup, still magenta. Also you crushed your shadows a bit much for my taste.
It causes a reddish band on her arms, most noticeable where her jacket meets the arm.

If you plan to print, I learned it's better to let your shadows float a bit.
Otherwise you will lose even more shadow detail when printing.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm sitting here like "...really?"

I might need to recalibrate my monitor. Or get my eyes checked. :/

Not as bad as the rest of your shots but still slightly visible.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

something odd is happening here, i think a profile is being embedded oddly or something, i did a "copy image" into photoshop and the skin tone seems great, but whenever i upload it or view it in a web browser it's red/magenta as hell.

edit: i just verified that it happens in chrome and firefox, i definitely have color profile corrections enabled and poo poo, and either way you dont want users to need to fiddle with their browser settings to not see your poo poo in bright red. i tried to "save to web" feature in photoshop with a bunch of variations on converting the colors when saving the final image, no luck so far, there's probably a simple trick here i'm just not used to solving

edit 2: now i know a lot more about color profile fuckery in photoshop

edit 3: by jove i've done it

edit 4: i need to do some more color profile research/understanding, but to get this jpg/test i had to go to View > Proof Setup: Monitor RGB, which will let you toggle soft proofing to see what a browser/your computer will show you when it considers this image not-color-managed, from there i went to Edit > Convert To Profile and converted it to CMYK with Intent set to Perceptual, this doesn't seem quite right, but converting to sRGB with perceptual intent and toggling soft proofing showed me the horrible redness again so i'm not sure what to make of it until someone here can provide a more concise explanation

edit 5: TheJeffers was able to simply convert it to sRGB, which isn't giving me the same result as the jpeg he shows me, but both paths give a way less blown saturation than what you're giving, your Adobe RGB 1998 profile in the original file is suspect

edit 6: we're losing our minds and aren't loving with this any more, use better color profiles, when in doubt do stupid poo poo like convert to CMYK with perceptual intent, magically it works if you do this. there's probably some greybeard colorspace conversation to have here but w/e

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 17, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Mido posted:

something odd is happening here, i think a profile is being embedded oddly or something, i did a "copy image" into photoshop and the skin tone seems great, but whenever i upload it or view it in a web browser it's red/magenta as hell.

edit: i just verified that it happens in chrome and firefox, i definitely have color profile corrections enabled and poo poo, and either way you dont want users to need to fiddle with their browser settings to not see your poo poo in bright red. i tried to "save to web" feature in photoshop with a bunch of variations on converting the colors when saving the final image, no luck so far, there's probably a simple trick here i'm just not used to solving

edit 2: now i know a lot more about color profile fuckery in photoshop

edit 3: by jove i've done it

edit 4: i need to do some more color profile research/understanding, but to get this jpg/test i had to go to View > Proof Setup: Monitor RGB, which will let you toggle soft proofing to see what a browser/your computer will show you when it considers this image not-color-managed, from there i went to Edit > Convert To Profile and converted it to CMYK with Intent set to Perceptual, this doesn't seem quite right, but converting to sRGB with perceptual intent and toggling soft proofing showed me the horrible redness again so i'm not sure what to make of it until someone here can provide a more concise explanation

That's a million times better!

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
On my home PC I thought there was a hint of magenta but it wasn't too bad but on my campus computer which is no way set up for photo editing it looks red as hell, Mido's edit looks much more natural and now I'm paranoid that the colours in all my photos are totally hosed.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

crap nerd posted:

On my home PC I thought there was a hint of magenta but it wasn't too bad but on my campus computer which is no way set up for photo editing it looks red as hell, Mido's edit looks much more natural and now I'm paranoid that the colours in all my photos are totally hosed.

my "edit" is just color profile fuckery, when i open the image in photoshop it looks fine if photoshop doesn't make erronious assumptions about the color profile, and then getting it not to gently caress up the image on it's way out via a save as or a save for web is it's own struggle only overcome by converting it to CMYK with perceptual intent, it seems to flush w/e profile badness is causing the over saturation

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Downloading the file from Flickr and opening it in PS shows that the embedded color profile is Adobe RGB. Assigning it an sRGB profile (and doing literally nothing else, aside from saving for web) gave me this:

Don't use Adobe RGB for web output.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

one weird fact discovered by dorkroom mother TheJeffers, Apple hates him!!

it turns out iOS doesn't do color profiles, basically at all, so the original image looks just fine on an iphone :v:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

TheJeffers posted:

Don't use Adobe RGB for web output.

Also unless you're sure every single link in your chain can support it (printing, etc.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't like this one, too much colour gone but THIS:

looks much better

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah jeffers' version looks nice!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also dorkasaurus your work is amazing but calibrate yer screen.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I don't like this one, too much colour gone but THIS:

looks much better

yeah for some reason I followed the same steps as Jeffers and my poo poo was all red, I guess my computer was taking weirder guesses with the color profile vs my perceptive RGB profile

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Also dorkasaurus your work is amazing but calibrate yer screen.

It's not even a calibration problem, it's just taking 30 seconds to target the right color profile for web output (sRGB).

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

TheJeffers posted:

It's not even a calibration problem, it's just taking 30 seconds to target the right color profile for web output (sRGB).

I was always told that Adobe RGB was best, but hey, go figure, sRGB it is from now on.

Also, serious post: how do I calibrate my monitor properly? Don't you need a fancy/expensive tool?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Adobe RGB is the best in that, yeah, it covers the widest gamut of color, but unless everything in your chain supports it, you're going to run into trouble.

https://fstoppers.com/pictures/adobergb-vs-srgb-3167

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I was always told that Adobe RGB was best, but hey, go figure, sRGB it is from now on.

Also, serious post: how do I calibrate my monitor properly? Don't you need a fancy/expensive tool?

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/calibration/colormunki

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

:eyepop: drat, $60 to rent a calibrator for 4 days?!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How to calibrate:
Use a Mac :cool:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Calibrate your Mac, dude.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Yeah, Apple get their screens from the same places every other computer manufacturer does, I couldn't believe the difference when I calibrated mine.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Chill Callahan posted:

Adobe RGB is the best in that, yeah, it covers the widest gamut of color, but unless everything in your chain supports it, you're going to run into trouble.

https://fstoppers.com/pictures/adobergb-vs-srgb-3167

I'm putting this in the OP. Thank you.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

ansel autisms posted:

Calibrate your Mac, dude.

This.

I have a Windows PC and a Mac laptop. After I calibrated both the difference was smaller on the Windows PC. I'm using a good IPS monitor on Windows, mind you, so it shouldn't be surprising. Now I can move my LR folder (smart previews & Dropbox FTW) back and forth and not worry about inconsistent edits.

The default color profile on the Mac was quite warm, looks nice but no good for pictures, switching them back and forth was quite revealing.
The stupid myth that Macs don't need calibration needs to die.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

How to calibrate:
Use a Mac :cool:

Uhh maybe my Mac is just old but I don't think this is true?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Arthur Street, Yau Ma Tei, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

Tin Hau Temple, Yau Ma Tei, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I think I'm getting the hang of medium format.

img544

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

mulls posted:

I think I'm getting the hang of medium format.

Did you push this photo in lightroom/photoshop after digitizing? I only ask because you seem to have these grain streaks in the sky that I usually find when I push the photo too far in lightrooom.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Putrid Grin posted:

Did you push this photo in lightroom/photoshop after digitizing? I only ask because you seem to have these grain streaks in the sky that I usually find when I push the photo too far in lightrooom.

My scans always come in really flat and dark, and then I fix it up in Pixelmator. I was going for a little grain in the sky, but I also think it's an exposure level that works for the whole image because I'm too lazy to selectively burn anywhere. I actually think those streaks are from having a lovely scan of really curly film.

Also, I think the Flickr conversion makes the streaks way more noticeable than on my original tif.

mulls fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 21, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Adreena by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

are your reds back to haunt you?

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

It's really pink. Also, I wish you could keep that grain in the background but lose it under her chin.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

That was the lighting on the platform!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Adreena by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr
[/url]

[quote="dorkasaurus_rex" post="441871745"]
That was the lighting on the platform!