Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
It's pretty telling when everyone's superteam ideas are just airlifting their favorite players to TSM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
the meteos and montecristo ego twitters are the best

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Disinterested posted:

The problem with superteams is that they ignore synergy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Aphromoo has synergy with everyone who plays with him, problem solved. Was interesting in that interview where Aphro seemed to have a lot of input in creating the current CLG roster.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
In news that should disappoint very few at this point, Ocelote finally retires to focus on running his team. I think they've also expanded to CS:GO? I don't really know. Good luck I guess, I never disliked the guy but this was long overdue.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

It's pretty telling when everyone's superteam ideas are just airlifting their favorite players to TSM.

Sneaky and Bjerg to CLG would be just as potent as any two TSM fantasy swaps, with the bonus that everyone on the team can speak english fluently. Downside would be a distinct lack of #baylife.

Zion is better than Dyrus.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 16, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Typical Pubbie posted:

Hahaha.

Or to put it another way, [citation needed].

Jerkface posted:

Yea, but Wildturtle is a beast laner in soloqueue and they might be able to carry more out of the botlane with Aphromoo. If they had Aphro & played the same style I think it would be a mistake. Having Aphro diversifies their potential play stylings. TSM seems to realize they need to open up the amount of comps & gold distributions on the team though so we'll see what stuff they start to run.

He also had a bad run of form all through last split and only played consistently well on a passive farm-heavy champion. Also all the arguments you made about Turtle also apply to Lust, who is already showing he can play more aggressively if needed. He just has to get over the habit of playing passive after years of bodyguarding Cpt. Jack.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 16, 2015

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Up until the last few weeks Zion's main weakness was only being able to split push while being a terrible team fighter with terrible positioning while being prone to getting caught out.

It's going to take more than just 3 weeks of play to suddenly say he's better than Dyrus.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The difference between Dyrus and Zion is that Dyrus is focused on what competitive top lane is rather than what he wishes competitive top lane was.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Typical Pubbie posted:

hmmmmmm

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
if your comp relies on the mega gnar cc letting you engage the other team is gonna play around it. zion was forced to throw the game to get mega gnar going in team fights

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Jerkface posted:

Aphromoo has synergy with everyone who plays with him, problem solved. Was interesting in that interview where Aphro seemed to have a lot of input in creating the current CLG roster.

If you look at some ranked team games from last season with Bjergsen and Aphromoo they seem to have pretty good synergy. My superteam is C9 with a play making mid and a stronger support that moves Lemon to coaching where he would really shine.

Super team for me is

Balls or Dyrus (either are good)
Metoes (Consistently good jungler, Nidalee game was incredible)
Bjergsen (no one else is even close)
Sneaky (Positioning is usually spot on, doesn't do dumb poo poo as often as Turtle or Dlift)
Aphromoo (Better play maker than Lustboy, but with less vision control)

Apprentice Dick fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 16, 2015

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
My super team is
Top lane: the rain man
Jungle: the odd one
Mid lane: Reginald
Adc: chaox
Support: xspecial

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Slaapaav posted:

if your comp relies on the mega gnar cc letting you engage the other team is gonna play around it. zion was forced to throw the game to get mega gnar going in team fights

If you look at the CLG vs TSM match and come to the conclusion that Zion of all people threw the game, I don't know what to tell you.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Zion did more damage to champions than Doublelift that game :newlol:

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The GE Tigers basically are a super team of exiled players from Najin and IM so it's really funny that they ended up being best in Korea.

I liked whoever posted the other day the TL/WFX idea. Quas, IWD, Pob, Altec, Xpecial

That's (kinda like GE) taking a quality set of players from mid tier teams to make a better one.

Will never happen though. I wish LCS had trades and trade deadline day.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Aumanor posted:

If you look at the CLG vs TSM match and come to the conclusion that Zion of all people threw the game, I don't know what to tell you.

He kind of did. People make a big deal about Xmithie getting caught but dude survived and made TSM use Tibbers/Cataclysm. Sure they might have had to give up the Dragon but that would have been TSM's second dragon and CLG still would have had Baron.

Instead, he flashed forward when Xmithie couldn't dive and Link was getting zoned by a Banshee's Veil Annie with stun up (Zion's Gnar only popped the Banshees leaving Link still effectively zoned out). Even worse, Zion's Big Gnar was running out at that point so after he flashed ahead to engage he got chunked to almost death since he was a little Gnar with a Frozen Mallet.

So yeah, Doublelift tunneling on Bjergsen into the middle of TSM is probably a more obvious reason that CLG lost at that moment but Zion threw pretty hard there too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The GE tigers of NA should be like CST or TIP. Except that Cris will never have the SMEB touch :colbert:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

Will never happen though. I wish LCS had trades and trade deadline day.

Can you imagine? It would be crazy.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

I wish na junglers were better but that's kind of riots fault anyways. Gosh how did meteos manage to play at his old level simply by picking nidalee, a jungler that is allowed to do damage and doesn't die to wraiths.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

He kind of did. People make a big deal about Xmithie getting caught but dude survived and made TSM use Tibbers/Cataclysm. Sure they might have had to give up the Dragon but that would have been TSM's second dragon and CLG still would have had Baron.

Instead, he flashed forward when Xmithie couldn't dive and Link was getting zoned by a Banshee's Veil Annie with stun up (Zion's Gnar only popped the Banshees leaving Link still effectively zoned out). Even worse, Zion's Big Gnar was running out at that point so after he flashed ahead to engage he got chunked to almost death since he was a little Gnar with a Frozen Mallet.

So yeah, Doublelift tunneling on Bjergsen into the middle of TSM is probably a more obvious reason that CLG lost at that moment but Zion threw pretty hard there too.

Well, that's only the last engage where Zion arguably made a serious mistake. I'd still say that of the entire CLG team, Zion still cost his team the least by far. IMO Dlift threw the hardest, followed by Xmithie (getting caught twice in bad situations) and Link (that monumental fuckup of an ult single-handedly allowing TSM back into the game) ex-aequo on the second place and Aphroo on the fourth place for that one teamfight near mid where he got evapourated before he could even ult.

So yeah, it was the rest of CLG's fault that there was a last dragon fight in the first place

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I personally don't know how any junglers do good. They get an embarrassingly low amount of gold and everything hits like a truck.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sexpansion posted:

Can you imagine? It would be crazy.

There aren't really enough teams, or players on teams, to really do that. Ten teams of five guys with two to three (usually significantly less skilled) substitutes isn't really enough to sustain that compared to a sport like, say, American football.

quote:

I personally don't know how any junglers do good. They get an embarrassingly low amount of gold and everything hits like a truck.

Pro jungling will always be the most boring thing on the planet (mobility junglers that build Warrior into full tank or Elise/Eve when they're in a playable state) unless there are outright broken things like Nidalee or release Feral Flare/Devourer that enable them to play carry junglers.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 16, 2015

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Invalid Validation posted:

Me neither especially since the most successful junglers are constantly buying wards too. Junglers got a tough life.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Invalid Validation posted:

Yeah and then imagine that coordinated invades and sharing camps with your top laner were a thing you had to deal with every day alongside about 5 or 6 highly contested smite battles per 30 minutes. Being a jungler sucks now, and being a pro jungler is like a super high stressful version of an already lovely job.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Libertine posted:

Yeah and then imagine that coordinated invades and sharing camps with your top laner were a thing you had to deal with every day alongside about 5 or 6 highly contested smite battles per 30 minutes. Being a jungler sucks now, and being a pro jungler is like a super high stressful version of an already lovely job.

Particularly since every time junglers being able to carry becomes a thing riot headshots it immediately (though usually this is a loving overtuned champion with bad lane matchups like Khazix).

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Libertine posted:

remember when they were on this trip about making tank junglers relevant again? Yeah... that didn't last long. Instead they made the jungle even harder so only champs with a super fast clear (and lee sin) see any play. They have never had any idea what the gently caress to do with the jungle and it's never been more clear than this season.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Honestly Lee doesn't even seem very good in competitive anymore, and I think the only reason we still see him to the degree that we do is that he's a comfort pick for basically every high level jungler.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Frustrated posted:

remember when they were on this trip about making tank junglers relevant again? Yeah... that didn't last long. Instead they made the jungle even harder so only champs with a super fast clear (and lee sin) see any play. They have never had any idea what the gently caress to do with the jungle and it's never been more clear than this season.

Tank junglers aren't that badly off. I've had a ton of success on Sejuani this season; she's got a workable clear, and then ganks incredibly well. Juggernaut is also really good.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
People pick lee assuming they'll get several kills early, lay down some sick wards, control the vision game, and eventually get a game changing kick for the highlight reel. Usually he's not hitting that level of impact, especially with the common practice of putting your ADC in a top lane freeze for solo XP.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

SC Bracer posted:

Tank junglers aren't that badly off. I've had a ton of success on Sejuani this season; she's got a workable clear, and then ganks incredibly well. Juggernaut is also really good.

They're ok in solo que, but totally unplayable in competitive. I'm just getting tired of seeing J4, Reksai, Lee, Nidalee, the occasional Vi, and literally no one else.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The silly thing is that all of the damage junglers build one damage item for clearing and go into full tank into competitive otherwise they get one or two shot and do nothing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Frustrated posted:

They're ok in solo que, but totally unplayable in competitive. I'm just getting tired of seeing J4, Reksai, Lee, Nidalee, the occasional Vi, and literally no one else.

Vi sees more play than Lee now.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Luna Was Here posted:

im with ya

scarra really is somethin else

God. They were all pretty funny but Scarra walking up mid-interview... Watching it at my desk, I just about passed out trying to keep from laughing (then, coughing).

He just awkwardly walks up to the interview with that bizarre smile on his face and stops. Even the camera guy is like "uh... ok" and pans out and readjusts to have him in frame. I don't know if he did it for the laughs or not. I'm leaning toward not. But either way it was just completely hilarious to me.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Frustrated posted:

remember when they were on this trip about making tank junglers relevant again?

This will never happen because any tank that does enough damage to clear the jungle at an efficient pace will immediately become a dominant toplaner.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

This will never happen because any tank that does enough damage to clear the jungle at an efficient pace will immediately become a dominant toplaner.

I can't help but wonder why they don't just slap "deals bonus damage to neutral monsters" on some abilities. Sure, it's not an elegant solution by any measure, but it WOULD solve most of the balance problems.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
The way pro teams build is either double AP or the top and jungle are both your initiators and your tanks. Plenty of non "figher" junglers work for solo queue. You can still play amumu or sejuani. Warwick was unstoppable in the first patch (altered immediately, of course).

I can't believe people are getting on Doublelift for losing that last fight by being in the "middle" of it. The only person behind him was Xmithie because he's the one that got caught out and had to recall. He didn't valk in, he valked out of the cataclysm. Gnar was in front of him (getting a 4-man stun), Lissandra died in the river ahead of him, Janna was right next to him. Gnar bailed after getting ruined by 5-man focus. CLG's entire team was a mess after the charm. He might have thought he could follow through and finish off some of those kills, or that he had more team support than he still did, or maybe he even ignored a call to back off and regroup. But, he wasn't out of position relative to his team.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Luna Was Here posted:

gonna save this for later

It's true though, Doublelift is hugely inconsistent compared to other ADC's, everyone thinks he's the best because of that one time when he did this amazing stuff on Vayne or Kalista, or whatever, but the times where he does something like that is outnumbered by the 20 other games where he plays like dogshit.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

There are 2 things that might be true about doublelift. 1. He is almost guaranteed to be ahead in laning phase 2. He is definitely going to gently caress up massively in teamfight and lose the game for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Apparently niQ is stepping down from Gambit because of undisclosed health problems and they're looking to replace him with Kori.

• Locked thread