Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

FireSight posted:

Is there somebody above that you can have review the request, and might understand why it's a bad idea?

"It's his box. Just make sure he has our card handy for the inevitable."

I'm making sure to point out the huge security risks, but I have no doubt the client will go through with it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

FreshFeesh posted:

The other is the company's primary file storage (sitting on a Mac Mini).

primary storage Mac Mini

:catstare:

Is this a media company?

I mean, even if it is, a Mini?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Potato Alley posted:

:catstare:

Is this a media company?

I mean, even if it is, a Mini?

If you want to only shop Apple, what options do they even give you these days?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
11 sales reps, 2 full-time secretaries, 4 admin/marketing, and about 18 people working on the floor. They work in the hospitality industry.

The mind, it boggles sometimes.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Can't you just reply with "What are you trying to do?"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

NZAmoeba posted:

Can't you just reply with "What are you trying to do?"

"I'm trying to open the computer to the internet, just do it!"

In seriousness, NZ's suggestion is correct. 10 to 1 the client does not know what ports do or what they're for, so you need to figure out what they really want because they do not loving have the knowledge to tell you what steps to take to solve their problem.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 13, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

If you want to only shop Apple, what options do they even give you these days?

A lot of our network storage these days is sitting on Pegasus Raid appliances hooked into a mac mini.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you're working in a mac environment, a Mac Mini with OSX Server hooked up to a decent thunderbolt DAS is a fairly competent little small business server.

I just wish access to the internal drive(s) was easier.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

If you're working in a mac environment, a Mac Mini with OSX Server hooked up to a decent thunderbolt DAS is a fairly competent little small business server.

Flip it over, take the bottom off and undo 2 screws? :confused:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Flip it over, take the bottom off and undo 2 screws? :confused:
...then undo a couple of more screws, disconnect the wifi antenna, remove the fan assembly, disconnect a bunch of connectors, use a special tool to remove the motherboard, unscrew and remove the PSU, and pull the drive tray out of the deepest recess of the case to access the component most likely to fail. :suicide:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Hard+Drive+Replacement/32815

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 13, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

...then undo a couple of more screws, disconnect the wifi antenna, remove the fan assembly, disconnect a bunch of connectors, use a special tool to remove the motherboard, unscrew and remove the PSU, and pull the drive tray out of the deepest recess of the case to access the component most likely to fail. :suicide:

If I'm reading that link correctly, you have to physically disassemble the entire machine to get at the ssd.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kurieg posted:

If I'm reading that link correctly, you have to physically disassemble the entire machine to get at the ssd.

appleproducts.txt

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Correct. Ratbert90 probably worked on a pre-2014 mac mini. They completely redesigned it for the current model and made the ssd a huge pain in the rear end to get to.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yep .You used to be able to buy it pre-loaded with OS X Server and a RAID 1 but it looks like they discontinued that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Welp, one of my guys just learned the hard way that you never operate as root, and that maybe you should wait and review a command before hitting enter.

At least I saw him do it and we were able to correct it before it became a problem.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Welp, one of my guys just learned the hard way that you never operate as root, and that maybe you should wait and review a command before hitting enter.

At least I saw him do it and we were able to correct it before it became a problem.

Well common, what did he do?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

RFC2324 posted:

I'm a root addict. :(

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Correct. Ratbert90 probably worked on a pre-2014 mac mini. They completely redesigned it for the current model and made the ssd a huge pain in the rear end to get to.

The old minis were easy to get into, just needed a screw driver and a paint scraper (or another tool with a thin, flat edge) to pull the housing off. That new mini article just reaffirms that I was smart to never buy an Apple product, other than the 2GB iPod I use for the gym - if I can't upgrade or fix the drat thing myself, it's not worth buying in the first place.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

m.hache posted:

If it was rm -rf .*, you let it run and see if they can fix their damage.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

If it was rm -rf .*, you let it run and see if they can fix their damage.

That was my trial by fire as newly minted UNIX admin at a startup ISP in the mid-90s.

Cleaning up some pref directories on a NNTP box. After it ran for about 5 minutes to remove what should have been only 5 directories with *maybe* 50 files total, I began to be suspicious. When the kernel panic got thrown onto the console it was confirmed.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

That was my trial by fire as newly minted UNIX admin at a startup ISP in the mid-90s.

Cleaning up some pref directories on a NNTP box. After it ran for about 5 minutes to remove what should have been only 5 directories with *maybe* 50 files total, I began to be suspicious. When the kernel panic got thrown onto the console it was confirmed.

I always loved finding out there was a problem in the call center when all the phones were quiet and suddenly every line lights up.

"WHAT'S BROKEN OH GOD WHY"

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

flosofl posted:

Why would it panic? I've done this (many of us have, I think), and you end up in a weird situation where nothing can be removed after rm is gone, but panic is odd.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

Why would it panic? I've done this (many of us have, I think), and you end up in a weird situation where nothing can be removed after rm is gone, but panic is odd.

This is BSDi from the early 90s. There were times when it would dynamically load object modules as needed. Apparently it needed to, and promptly poo poo itself.

EDIT: Actually I may be mixing up two different BSDi horrors. One was trying to install a Riscom driver into the kernel. That was a god drat nightmare because 'cc' really, really hates certain kinds of whitespace.

The NNTP one may have been just panic messages from running processes looking for certain files. Not an actual kernel panic which would have stopped it dead in it's tracks.

Also, LKM I don't think was a thing for me until I started using Linux. Aging and memory is a bitch.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 14, 2015

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Holy gently caress there are some sadists working in design for Apple

They even used an even smaller security screw

quote:

This is the smallest Torx Security screw we've ever seen—our kits go down to T7 Security, so we asked our tool design team to get improvising.
Improvisation complete! Our packrat engineers produced a lone prototype T6 Torx Security screwdriver, a tool we originally abandoned because nobody had seen such a screw used in real life

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

myron cope posted:

Having purchased one of iFixit's (very nice) screwdriver sets, is it sane for me to refuse to buy a new Mac Mini on the basis that I don't have a screwdriver for it?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

flosofl posted:

My main fail was during an internship. I didn't check where I was running commands, and completely buggered the NIS+ master tables. That wasn't the problem. The problem was that this happened seconds before the backup job that mirrored everything to the replicas. The other problem was that four months before this, we'd replaced all on-machine tape backups with a (networked) backup robot. Our newest non-robot backups were from before we'd installed the new master. (I may be misremembering the exact details, this was about 15 years ago and I've been drunk since then)

My boss said "Either get out and never come back, or shut up and do exactly what I tell you to." I shut up and learned a lot about Solaris and NIS+

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Correct, screw the new mini.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't use Apple stuff for anything other than client devices. Server.app is just there to keep people happy who haven't managed to implement a migration plan since the Xserve was discontinued 6 years ago.

OS X has worked with SMB for ages now, and worked really nicely with it since 10.9. ExtremeZ-IP is there for edge cases where you need AFP, and device management can be handled by Casper which runs perfectly on Windows.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

OS X has worked with SMB for ages now, and worked really nicely with it since 10.9. ExtremeZ-IP is there for edge cases where you need AFP, and device management can be handled by Casper which runs perfectly on Windows.

I have yet to see Casper leave me with an unbootable system. Unlike SCCM for example, which hosed up a boot.ini just yesterday..

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
You'll need a Mac server for NetBoot and DeployStudio if you're running Casper and want to get the most out of it. Get the cheapest Mini with two drives, use CCC to make a nightly clone to the second drive, and call it a day.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

m.hache posted:

It actually wasn't too bad. He just change the domain of a root trusted host/LDAP master for all of the major fabs, instead of logging into the server we needed to check and see what the domain was.

He has a history of dumb moves, and is frantically trying to get his poo poo together to save his job, so it was more the shock of breaking something on a server that critical that I am hoping teaches him to be cautious.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

myron cope posted:

Why would we make it easy when you can just pay us a bunch of money to do it for you instead! We call that good customer service in these parts.

I tired replacing the Hard Drive in some old Averatec laptop running XP a few years back. I don't remember what ended up happening, but I'm pretty sure it involved me crying in the fetal position somewhere in the corner of the shop at some point.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't use Apple stuff for anything other than client devices. Server.app is just there to keep people happy who haven't managed to implement a migration plan since the Xserve was discontinued 6 years ago.

My 10.9.5 MBP is my iPad MDM server at work :sigh: It broke on update twice in the last year and required a total rebuild including client devices. Server sucks.

But my old Xserve still looks better than anything in the rack right now

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FireSight posted:

Is there somebody above that you can have review the request, and might understand why it's a bad idea?

Why can't it just be easy. I hate security! Why do we even have to have passwords? :qq:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

skooma512 posted:

Why can't it just be easy. I hate security! Why do we even have to have passwords? :qq:

Do these people ever pay for stuff or manage their bank accounts online?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

IndustrialApe posted:

Do these people ever pay for stuff or manage their bank accounts online?

They pay for everything via paper check, that they fill out at the register. Whenever anyone asks why they don't switch to using a debit card instead, they tell you that checks work just fine and are more secure.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not surprising. My baby boomer father has never paid for gas at the pump. He always goes inside, because otherwise it's too confusing.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

In our glorious cyberpunk future, we'll be the luddies sliding cards or NFCing on our cellphones while the kids are using their Neural Area Network to authorize payments.

Also cellphones are a visual sign you're old.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreenNight posted:

Not surprising. My baby boomer father has never paid for gas at the pump. He always goes inside, because otherwise it's too confusing.

Heh.

I've worked with Senior AS/400 Administrators (70k/y+) and while they have an iPhone they have to print out map directions and airline itinerary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Heh.

I've worked with Senior AS/400 Administrators (70k/y+) and while they have an iPhone they have to print out map directions and airline itinerary.

To be fair, if I'm going anywhere that cell service might be spotty, I print out a copy of my map directions.... I had google maps crash on me when I was in the mountains once. That wasn't fun.

• Locked thread