Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Renting out the --startup experience-- to white guys with disposable cash and a business idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gold rush businesses that are still around:
levi's
wells fargo
bank of america [in name at least]
ghiradelli chocolate

gold rush businesses that are not still around:
anything having to do with gold

selling stuff to people who want to be in on the action is a solid plan

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

followed by

quote:

What I tweeted earlier was ill-considered. I’m sorry. Never intended to compare our issues to work done by one of history's great leaders.
— Brian Chesky (@bchesky) February 13, 2015

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Is it a rule that 'sharing economy' treps will inevitably try to compare themselves to great leaders of rights movements throughout history.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

followed by

hoooooooooooooooooooly poo poo

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

he has a point, though, in that if gandhi had marched against unjust government policies while adhering strictly to those policies he would not have gotten far.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's some kind of weird logical leap where these people can ignore the fact that they're rent-seeking and see themselves as enablers of good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

there's some kind of weird logical leap where these people can ignore the fact that they're rent-seeking and see themselves as enablers of good
bringing things into conformance with the unfettered free market IS good, you silly dilly!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

no one on the face of this earth has ever woken up in the morning and thought "yeah, I'm the bad guy!"

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Did Gandhi really pay rent when he was marching or whatever? I doubt it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

no one on the face of this earth has ever woken up in the morning and thought "yeah, I'm the bad guy!"

well someone, somewhere has at some point but they were probably crazy or got over it a bit later

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

these are the people of nowhere, who don't stand for anything. do you expect any better?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

well someone, somewhere has at some point but they were probably crazy or got over it a bit later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

why isn't that show on netflix anymore damnit

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

gold rush businesses that are still around:
levi's
wells fargo
bank of america [in name at least]
ghiradelli chocolate

gold rush businesses that are not still around:
anything having to do with gold

selling stuff to people who want to be in on the action is a solid plan

i wanted to see if i could disprove you but i got a bunch of bitcoin articles so gently caress that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

i wanted to see if i could disprove you but i got a bunch of bitcoin articles so gently caress that

most of the remaining mining-type stuff got bought out or merged with big companies like Schlumberger who only really care about energy now

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

followed by

jfc

just...gently caress

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ultramiraculous posted:

jfc

just...gently caress

an uber exec compared their dealings with cities and taxi associations to that of rosa parks, completely unironically

Apr 7, 2003

ultramiraculous posted:

jfc

just...gently caress

these dudes grew up being fed a line about how they were the smartest kids in the room and how they were going to change the world and they took it hook line and sinker

Apr 7, 2003

have any Uber drivers had a meltdown about doing their taxes yet

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
are any Uber drivers aware they even have to file yet

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
does uber have any drivers yet

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
steam makes it clear that you need to file taxes if you do a large number of sales on their marketplace

so what I'm saying is that I fully believe uber won't make this clear to their employees drivers because they're less professional than steam's hatsales bureau

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

do we even know if they've sent out their 1099s yet? i think they have a bit longer before they're required to have them prepared.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

loving etrade just got my 1099 out today, every other bank I deal with was done in january

I called them out on twotter and their response was "the government deadline is Feb 15"

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

loving etrade just got my 1099 out today, every other bank I deal with was done in january

I called them out on twotter and their response was "the government deadline is Feb 15"

ah i thought it was even later. it feels like forever when <insert Internet brokerage> is the only thing holding up filing when everyone else gets their poo poo together by end of january.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ultramiraculous posted:

ah i thought it was even later. it feels like forever when <insert Internet brokerage> is the only thing holding up filing when everyone else gets their poo poo together by end of january.

they're still blaming dodd frank 4 years later

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ultramiraculous posted:

do we even know if they've sent out their 1099s yet? i think they have a bit longer before they're required to have them prepared.

quote:

So last night I went in and got my taxes done. I have a w2 from work and this ugly 1099-K from Uber. Tax agent went ahead and filed a form 1040 (Schedule C) Profit or Loss from business form..

Let me give you a quick rundown of my Uber 1099:

Total "gross": $2889
Total rides: 216

Here's how my form looks and what expenses I wrote off. I did not take the standard deduction but he ended up just itemizing my expenses, which benefited me in the end.

Basically, my expenses were "more" than my earnings as an independent contractor and I ended up paying $0 in taxes for Uber. He told me it would be better to just write off expenses than to take the standard mileage deduction. I didn't make a whole lot off Uber so this may not apply to everyone. What happens is if you show your business as a 'loss', you don't need to pay taxes in that situation, is what he said. I hope this helps shed some light on those who are still wondering how/what to do.

If anyone in the Los Angeles area (westside) needs a reputable tax agent, I can refer you his #. He charged me $60 to file my w2 and a 1099, with direct deposit. Fast & knowledgeable. Got me back a nice refund :d:D:D

all the posts in that thread are people telling him he's gonna get his rear end audited off, and him saying "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it..."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I've been working on my taxes. Mainly just running numbers.

With the amount I've gotten deposited from both Uber and Lyft (which I am using instead of their ridiculous 1099), and then subtracting my mileage deduction; I'm finding that it will be drat near impossible to ever show any kind of "profit".

I've run the numbers into the future, using my estimated earnings and mileage for 2015 (extrapolated from 2014). With the mileage deduction and at these rates, there is no way I'll be able to show profit. At all.

So all i'm left with is SS/Medicare. This is so sad.

uber drivers finally coming to the realization that they're pawning their car for uber

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

these guys a v lucky the republicans got rid of all the tax auditors

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Condiv posted:

With the amount I've gotten deposited from both Uber and Lyft (which I am using instead of their ridiculous 1099)

uhhhhh

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Condiv posted:

all the posts in that thread are people telling him he's gonna get his rear end audited off, and him saying "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it..."

lol if expensing almost twice as much money as you earn doesn't automatically trip some sort of red flag.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Condiv posted:

As a former compliance officer, ya, that schedule c is bad. But he made so little as it is that it is likely he will never be audited.

I'm curious how many uber drivers will try to claim standard mileage rates. Drivers for hire aren't allowed to do that.

edit: I would love to here about an irs-wide project to hit uber drivers. Are they giving out tax advice?

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 17, 2015

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I can't imagine uber would give out tax advice. they'd either lose drivers by admitting how terrible it is for them, or they'd encourage people to cheat and then be on the line for it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
let's be serious: uber probably isn't paying their own taxes, much less worrying about their subcontractors compliance

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

I expect that to start on April 14

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

eschaton posted:

I expect that to start on April 14

CP2000 notices come out many months later :xd:

Apr 7, 2003

Condiv posted:

I've been working on my taxes. Mainly just running numbers.

With the amount I've gotten deposited from both Uber and Lyft (which I am using instead of their ridiculous 1099), and then subtracting my mileage deduction; I'm finding that it will be drat near impossible to ever show any kind of "profit".

I've run the numbers into the future, using my estimated earnings and mileage for 2015 (extrapolated from 2014). With the mileage deduction and at these rates, there is no way I'll be able to show profit. At all.

So all i'm left with is SS/Medicare. This is so sad.

uber drivers finally coming to the realization that they're pawning their car for uber

lmao

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

theflyingexecutive posted:

these guys a v lucky the republicans got rid of all the tax auditors
i thought they got rid of even trying to audit complicated tax filings that rich people use (because rich people will fight it and also complain to their congressman) unless they were grossly out of band (like, laundering drug money kinds of wacky numbers)

straightforward stuff that a simple computer program can detect (like botching a 1099 or not reporting your ebay sales) still results in a letter being sent out and penalties and eventual wage garnishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

these dudes grew up being fed a line about how they were the smartest kids in the room and how they were going to change the world and they took it hook line and sinker

i mean they were right they just missed the "for the worse" at the end there

• Locked thread