Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Silegna posted:

uh, Nomura was only the character designer for FFXIII, not the director. I'm pretty sure even HE doesn't like her.

sorry got my names mixed up, After awhile it gets hard to remember exactly who is who. I will fix my error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
It took me a long time to figure out why Auron popped up when Hades was pulling out the very worst of the worst, but it's all to do with the Final Summoning and the choice he, Braska and Jeckt made by using it. Every summoner who ever made it to that point made the choice to sacrifice a Guardian and given the massive amount of references to Bushido with Auron, likely he felt he should have been the one to be that sacrifice. After Braska and Jeckt used the Final Summoning, Auron likely felt that he betrayed every person on the planet by unknowingly allowing the cycle of Sin to continue. Mythology wise, Hades was never the judge, only the warden, so what would be the worst person in the land of the dead? The war general who led thousands to death at the business end of a spear when fighting for glory or the man who betrayed his entire planet through complacency? Auron passed that judgement, deeming himself the worst person.

Or they wanted a cool partner that wasn't Hercules, and it was slim pickings to find a dead hero that they already had rights to.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Or because Tidus and Wakka are already in gane so whats one more FFX character?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!

pointlessone posted:

It took me a long time to figure out why Auron popped up when Hades was pulling out the very worst of the worst, but it's all to do with the Final Summoning and the choice he, Braska and Jeckt made by using it. Every summoner who ever made it to that point made the choice to sacrifice a Guardian and given the massive amount of references to Bushido with Auron, likely he felt he should have been the one to be that sacrifice. After Braska and Jeckt used the Final Summoning, Auron likely felt that he betrayed every person on the planet by unknowingly allowing the cycle of Sin to continue. Mythology wise, Hades was never the judge, only the warden, so what would be the worst person in the land of the dead? The war general who led thousands to death at the business end of a spear when fighting for glory or the man who betrayed his entire planet through complacency? Auron passed that judgement, deeming himself the worst person.

Or they wanted a cool partner that wasn't Hercules, and it was slim pickings to find a dead hero that they already had rights to.

It sure wasn't slim pickings because they could easily have brought in Zack instead of waiting until Birth By Sleep to use him. Technically Zack would be dead if you look at the character models they are using for Cloud and Tifa. Sure, Aerith should be too but that is neither here nor there. They could have also brought in human form Jecht as well. I'm pretty sure there is a long list of Final Fantasy heroes or heroines that died in the line of duty that they could have chosen if they didn't want to use Auron.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

But not many that Nomura himself designed.
Which are really the only characters that hes said he was comfortable with adding into KH.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But not many that Nomura himself designed.
Which are really the only characters that hes said he was comfortable with adding into KH.

Ah, well I hadn't remembered he said that.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
That point should be non existant with KH3 at least, thanks to Dissidia. Nomura ended up redesigning pretty much every main character and villain from the series, which is great because I want to see Gilgamesh in a future KH.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Krad posted:

That point should be non existant with KH3 at least, thanks to Dissidia. Nomura ended up redesigning pretty much every main character and villain from the series, which is great because I want to see Gilgamesh in a future KH.

Is it wrong I LIKED Lightning in Dissidia? I mean she actually had CHARACTER in there.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Silegna posted:

Is it wrong I LIKED Lightning in Dissidia? I mean she actually had CHARACTER in there.
When you have the protagonist of your game actually have better motivations in what was essentially Final Smash Fantasy Bros., you know you hosed up on writing it. A fanfiction beat-em-up game wrote her better than in the main loving game she was in.

Christ :cripes: I really liked her in Dissidia 012 because she actually cut through bullshit amidst fabled knights and ancient warriors and she was a really great foil to someone like Warrior of Light in pure contrast of opinion and motivation. Basically one was half-full and the other half-empty but that's still a hell of a lot better than what FFXIII ever achieved.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

When you have the protagonist of your game actually have better motivations in what was essentially Final Smash Fantasy Bros., you know you hosed up on writing it. A fanfiction beat-em-up game wrote her better than in the main loving game she was in.

Christ :cripes: I really liked her in Dissidia 012 because she actually cut through bullshit amidst fabled knights and ancient warriors and she was a really great foil to someone like Warrior of Light in pure contrast of opinion and motivation. Basically one was half-full and the other half-empty but that's still a hell of a lot better than what FFXIII ever achieved.

I gave XIII a try. Once. First level, gave up. I was like...am I even playing a game, or is this all on autopilot? I mean the combat system is dull as hell, I'm literally running down a hallway to the objective, facing the enemies no matter what, and then boss at the end.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
God gently caress FF13. I hope that Squeenix loving drops FF13 forever. *sees that Nomoura is announcing there will be more Lightning in 2015*...I don't want to live on this plane of existence anymore.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nomura has absolutely nothing to do with FFXIII beyond character design.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Nomura has absolutely nothing to do with FFXIII beyond character design.

I mentioned that last page, I believe.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Spoke with my friend about FF13 today. He's a large FF fan, and he somewhat called me out on quitting halfway through the story, on Gran Pulse. I told him it's because I was with the game by that point, and he said that then was when the game finally opened up.

I still stand by my decision. If I'm not having fun, then the game is not for me. He understood completely, though. And then we talked about martial arts for the remainder of that discussion. Which Final Fantasy only barely has any sort of relation with. We should probably talk about the bare-handed fighters in KH2 soon. It's an interesting concept here.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

Spoke with my friend about FF13 today. He's a large FF fan, and he somewhat called me out on quitting halfway through the story, on Gran Pulse. I told him it's because I was with the game by that point, and he said that then was when the game finally opened up.

I still stand by my decision. If I'm not having fun, then the game is not for me. He understood completely, though. And then we talked about martial arts for the remainder of that discussion. Which Final Fantasy only barely has any sort of relation with. We should probably talk about the bare-handed fighters in KH2 soon. It's an interesting concept here.

Unfortunately the best bare-handed fighter in Final Fantasy history won't be seen for a while. It will be episode 20 I believe.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

GMArcturus posted:

Unfortunately the best bare-handed fighter in Final Fantasy history won't be seen for a while. It will be episode 20 I believe.

I like that character in this game, if only because that character is fairly inoffensive and has a funny scene to their name. Unlike Cloud, who just pouts all the time here. Seriously, goddamnit, you don't have the Geo stuff in you, you can be free and be silly and not-sad.

Auron is okay, though. Because he is a boss. And he knows how to take care of things. Oh, speaking of which, one reason why he can considered a bad guy, like Hades claimed, is because of his backstory before the other backstory. Before he met Jecht and Braska, Auron was a monk who was supposed to get married to this one chick who was the daughter of some high-level monk-person man. He decided against it at the last minute (I forget why), however, and the monastary got so pissed they tossed him in jail. Now, in a number of religions, going against the religion is one of the biggest sins anyone can hope(?) to achieve. Refusing the arranged marriage meant that Auron was refusing their ways. And that's part of the reason why Braska picked him up to go along for his excellent adventure (which kills the entire loving party). He's an outcast now, same as Braska (crazy summoner who pushes for finding a permanent end to Sin) and Jecht (crazy athlete who claims to be from the holy city of Zanarkand and smells like drunk).

Auron's story makes me a little sad sometimes. But he becomes a stronger character for it, and pretty much the best party member of any game he's in.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

bman in 2288 posted:

I like that character in this game, if only because that character is fairly inoffensive and has a funny scene to their name. Unlike Cloud, who just pouts all the time here. Seriously, goddamnit, you don't have the Geo stuff in you, you can be free and be silly and not-sad.

Auron is okay, though. Because he is a boss. And he knows how to take care of things. Oh, speaking of which, one reason why he can considered a bad guy, like Hades claimed, is because of his backstory before the other backstory. Before he met Jecht and Braska, Auron was a monk who was supposed to get married to this one chick who was the daughter of some high-level monk-person man. He decided against it at the last minute (I forget why), however, and the monastary got so pissed they tossed him in jail. Now, in a number of religions, going against the religion is one of the biggest sins anyone can hope(?) to achieve. Refusing the arranged marriage meant that Auron was refusing their ways. And that's part of the reason why Braska picked him up to go along for his excellent adventure (which kills the entire loving party). He's an outcast now, same as Braska (crazy summoner who pushes for finding a permanent end to Sin) and Jecht (crazy athlete who claims to be from the holy city of Zanarkand and smells like drunk).

Auron's story makes me a little sad sometimes. But he becomes a stronger character for it, and pretty much the best party member of any game he's in.

I did not know this. Now I want Team Jecht's Awesome Adventures Side Story even more. That game would be the ultimate in "It's not the destination, but the journey" story telling.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Braska wasn't an outcast because he wanted to find a permanent end to Sin; Braska was an outcast because he banged an Al Behd, married her and fathered a child.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

DFlux posted:

Braska wasn't an outcast because he wanted to find a permanent end to Sin; Braska was an outcast because he banged an Al Behd, married her and fathered a child.

It's been a while since I played the game, is my excuse.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

GMArcturus posted:

Lies, Sabin doesn't show up in this game. :colbert:

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Krad posted:

Lies, Sabin doesn't show up in this game. :colbert:

You know what, I'm pretty sure the fighter in this game could suplex anything that Sabin can. That includes trains. Also, can Sabin summon a dolphin with an uppercut? Can Sabin bring the pain like a meteor?

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

GMArcturus posted:

You know what, I'm pretty sure the fighter in this game could suplex anything that Sabin can. That includes trains. Also, can Sabin summon a dolphin with an uppercut? Can Sabin bring the pain like a meteor?

Does creating multiple fire versions of himself to attack the enemy count? Cause I think that at least beats dolphin.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love these per-world Limit Break things Sora can pull off.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Time for another update! Also, the fanart contest has ended and it is time to vote for your favorite. Here is the poll.

New Episode (Uncut)
Episode 014 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: GET UP ON THE HYDRA'S BACK!!!"

New Episode
Episode 014 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: GET UP ON THE HYDRA'S BACK!!!"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Characters

The Hydra

The multi-headed monstrosity that just won't die.
VA: None

Pegasus

The flying horse that is also willing to lend a helping a hand

Demyx, a.k.a Organization Member IX, The Melodious Nocturne

The sitar playing organization member that really doesn't like to fight.
VA: Ryan O'Donohue

New Heartless

Trick Ghost

A ghost Heartless that is really just annoying.
Reaction Command: None

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 13, 2015

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
We got two things to cover here. Yeah, Olympus is long and just FULL of goodies. Two Limits to play around with, and a spell!

Magic

So. Thunder. The last returning spell from KH1. (No, we don't get Gravity or Stop, and I'm honestly kind of sad about that. But what we do get is better than them, so.) While in KH1, Thunder brought down a whole bunch of lightning around the target area (or around Sora if you weren't targeting), instead it brings down one. It still serves basically the same purpose (long range instant hit). And this is why they changed Fire. As they had it in KH1, Thunder and Fire ultimately served the same basic purpose. So instead of doing the same thing here, they took the AoE properties of Thunder and gave it to Fire, and then removed the long-range component from Fire, giving each spell a single distinct niche. I actually prefer it this way! Thunder's finished combo is similar to Blizzard and Fire, at least with our current available forms. That is, it does more damage, is slightly slower, and is slightly larger.

Limits

So, when we beat Pete, we got Trinity Limit, available from the ability of the same name.

Trinity Limit is FANTASTIC, and also really unique as far as Limits go. First off, Sora can use it without both Donald and Goofy, and by doing so, do the Limit by himself, where he'll teleport to whatever enemy you're locked onto, and do an aerial combo ending with a dash attack through the enemy. If you press the Triangle button at appropriate times, you can manage this three times! It's actually really powerful even by itself, though not quite as powerful as most Limits.

However, the true power of Trinity Limit is when you use it with Donald and Goofy. Your entire menu gets replaced by three options; Major Drive, Ultima, and Break. Break is Sora's move, triggered by X; Sora-Donald-Goofy (:v:) will all gang up on an enemy with a powerful midair combo. Essentially, the same thing Sora does by himself, but with Donald and Goofy joining in. Ultima is Donald's move, and once you press Square, everyone gathers together to cast a powerful magic spell, creating firework-like explosions all around you. (This is similar to a Limit that Donald will get later.) And then there's Major Drive, used with Triangle, for Goofy. Everyone gets together and they fling a spray of drive orbs out, hitting all enemies in the cone multiple times. You can aim this, incidentally, turning around to hit everyone.

After you use each move, its prompt in the menu gets replaced by 'Begin Combo'. You see, each of those three moves above don't do any damage. At all. However, once you begin combo, depending on how many hits you've managed to accumulate through the process is how many bits of damage you deal to everyone around you. Sora-Donald-Goofy raise their weapons together, creating a bunch of light over them with colored lights swirling around it, which gets brighter and brighter until the screen fades out, similar to how Trinity Limit ended in KH1 and CoM.

Potentially very powerful, but you should be careful! Trinity Limit, not dealing any damage during its three starter attacks, is an all-or-nothing attack. If the Limit gauge runs out before you hit Begin Combo, then you've wasted all your MP for nothing. And if you let all the moves play out their full animation (you can, I believe, interrupt them with another of the moves), then you have VERY VERY little time remaining to press Begin Combo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres definitely one that's much longer than all other keyblades.
And is about equal in length with Fenrir.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Every limit in the game looks pretty fancy, but I've always found them largely useless. Now summons, on the other hand, I didn't think much of until I actually tried them out a couple of times. They're completely broken and I'd rather have one out than having two other guys dragging me down.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Krad posted:

Every limit in the game looks pretty fancy, but I've always found them largely useless. Now summons, on the other hand, I didn't think much of until I actually tried them out a couple of times. They're completely broken and I'd rather have one out than having two other guys dragging me down.
I had absolutely no idea on how good the summons were by themselves until Prythian explained it, I only really liked one purely for the novelty of it and who it was before ignoring the rest of them. Now I know a lot better.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

I really hope some more votes are cast before Sunday at 5pm. Got a tie for the fanart contest at the moment with Pixeltendo and System_Logoff in the lead with 3 votes each.

Porush
Dec 26, 2012

GMArcturus posted:

I really hope some more votes are cast before Sunday at 5pm. Got a tie for the fanart contest at the moment with Pixeltendo and System_Logoff in the lead with 3 votes each.

I'd vote, but I don't know where the straw poll is. Maybe add it to the OP?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Porush posted:

I'd vote, but I don't know where the straw poll is. Maybe add it to the OP?

Look, I don't want to sound rude, but it's pretty easy to figure out if you read the update I posted just a few posts above your own. It's literally the third sentence in the update.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

GMArcturus posted:

Everyone vote for Pixeltendo, he put in more effort than me. :v:

Porush
Dec 26, 2012

GMArcturus posted:

Look, I don't want to sound rude, but it's pretty easy to figure out if you read the update I posted just a few posts above your own. It's literally the third sentence in the update.

Sorry, that was thoughtless of me.

E: I removed an explanation for why I missed the post, because I didn't think that it was important, or helpful. Also made the apology a little clearer.

Porush fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 15, 2015

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Porush posted:

Sorry, that was thoughtless of me.

E: I removed an explanation for why I missed the post, because I didn't think that it was important, or helpful. Also made the apology a little clearer.

Eh, don't worry about it. I was a little perturbed because of a toothache I was having. Anyway, with 1 hour and 47 minutes left to go before the contest ends it looks like System_Logoff is in the lead with 6 votes.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

GMArcturus posted:

Eh, don't worry about it. I was a little perturbed because of a toothache I was having. Anyway, with 1 hour and 47 minutes left to go before the contest ends it looks like System_Logoff is in the lead with 6 votes.

If I may say something related to the contest: you kind of got my name wrong in the OP. It's "bman in 2288", not "Bmanin2288". The latter sounds like a bad xbox live account.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

If I may say something related to the contest: you kind of got my name wrong in the OP. It's "bman in 2288", not "Bmanin2288". The latter sounds like a bad xbox live account.

I'm sorry about that. Anyway the winner of the contest seems to be Pixeltendo. Congrats buddy.

Edit: If anybody has Pixeltendo on Skype could you let him know to contact me? My Skype name is TheGreatJoshini.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 16, 2015

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

GMArcturus posted:

I'm sorry about that. Anyway the winner of the contest seems to be Pixeltendo. Congrats buddy.

Edit: If anybody has Pixeltendo on Skype could you let him know to contact me? My Skype name is TheGreatJoshini.

Cool daddio! thanks for the gift, looking forward to the rest of the LP :)

Pixeltendo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 16, 2015

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Time for Monday's Update!

New Episode (Uncut)
Episode 015 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Onwards to Disney Castle!"

New Episode
Episode 015 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Onwards to Disney Castle!"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Characters

Horace Horsecollar

A good-natured fellow that lives in Disney Town.

Clarabelle Cow

Another resident of Disney Town who is also very nice.

Clara Cluck

Yet another resident of Disney Town.

Captain Pete

This is Pete before he went bad and sided with Maleficent.
VA: Jim Cummings

New Heartless

Minute Bomb

An annoying Heartless that will detonate if you let the timer that appears above its head countdown to zero.
Reaction Command: Dodge Roll - Sora dodges out of the way as the Minute Bomb self destructs.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I definitely love how KH2 is a lot more jokey with its main characters more goofing around and having sidechats and such, it makes them a lot more well, believeable as friends together. And yeah, I'm so happy to see this world, this next world is just fantastically fun if not short.

I will add something in my next post for next vid because the next world not only references one specifically famous cartoon of Mickey's career but also four OTHERS that some people might not be aware of from old Disney stuff so when that time comes I'll put up a post about all the classic references that this next world has. Mainly because I'm a super dork about old Disney cartoons and old cartoons in general :v:

HOWEVER I might as well start with some notes on the old character designs of Sora, Donald, Goofy.

Donald interestingly enough, did not originally appear in black-and-white and was first established in a colour cartoon known as The Wise Little Hen from 1934. He was however also in other black-and-white cartoons around that area, so I was mistaken that he never appeared black-and-white, he actually has. Just never STARTED as that.

The only differences made to his model over the years was being less lanky and having a shorter beak, even in the newer retro-styled Mickey Mouse cartoons they still keep Donald's modern look of a flat wider beak as opposed to his stretchier form from way old times.
Fun fact, Donald is only a duck because his original voice actor, Clarence Nash, wowed Walt Disney over with his duck voice and so made the new character a fowl-tempered duck.

Goofy however is one of the first of Mickey's new friends, with Minnie first then Pluto afterwards all of whom were made two years apart of each other. First appearing in Mickey's Revue in 1932, he started out as Dippy Dawg as the animators called him as an in-joke of an annoying background character, before being given the name Goofy fully in Orphan's Benefit, 1934.

Admittedly he's not PERFECTLY like his very first incarnation because he was redesigned for Orphan's Benefit once he had fully been given a name, which of course marks his usual clothing and facial look a lot more recognisable.

Even by his first appearance as Dippy Dawg if you all check the cartoon, he still had that dorky-rear end laugh we all love him for, as first invented by Pinto Colvig long back for which every other Goofy voice actor has done since then. And Goofy has had SEVEN voice actors which is amazing considering Mickey's had five and Donald's only had two.

Now Sora's design is much different, being that he takes instead his visual look more based on old anime starting out in the 1960s, most specifically that of Astro Boy.

Which, as Prythian said in this episode is double-ingenious because Astro Boy in turn was ALSO inspired by Disney directly in its style of big eyes and whatnot. So that's just a small covering of the retro-Disney look you might have saw. I totally recommend you check out Orphan's Benefit at least just to see the whole gang themselves originally.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Out of curiosity, who here has played Epic Mickey?

• Locked thread