Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Totally off genre, but I think Ace Combat Infinity does your rating based on performance and objective completion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

astr0man posted:

Doesn't ESEA use RWS for their matchmaking system?

Yeah. I don't think most of the people ITT play ESEA though.

RipDouglas
Oct 18, 2014

My tournament team has a very flexible schedule and is available to dumpster the rest of you for our free skins pretty much anytime.

astr0man posted:

Doesn't ESEA use RWS for their matchmaking system?

RWS, or "average Round Win Shares" was created to represent a player's contribution to overall team success.

•RWS player values range from 0.00 to 100.00, a higher number is better than a lower number
•Only 100 RWS points (or win shares) total are given out each round, and only to players on the winning team
•All players on the losing team receive 0 RWS points for the round
•A players receives 0 RWS points for each round that occurs after they leave a server, effectively treating it as if they had lost all of the subsequent rounds

•For rounds that end by one player fragging another, the 100 RWS points are divided among the players on the winning team based on their share of the total damage dealt during the round

•For rounds that end by one player successfully planting (via an explosion) or defusing, the player that completes the objective is given 30 RWS points, and the remaining 70 RWS points are divided among all players based on their share of the total damage dealt during the round

Sadly it seems to promote people just chasing all the kills, but seems decent for tracking skill overall.

RipDouglas fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 16, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Do you guys feel like matches on ESEA tend to be fair?

Edit: actually I've just realized that I have no idea how ESEA actually works. Do you have preset teams and you get scheduled games like a sports league?

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 16, 2015

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Do you mean Pugs? Sure? Nobody is offensively terrible in ESEA.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I know what RWS is, and I think RWS is a bad metric for rating players in CS:GO.

For what it's worth, back when wex existed I had an alternate version of gpskill that used RWS to weight a players contribution to a round won or lost. The end result of both the weighted and unweighted systems were almost identical, and I decided to not use the RWS version because it would be easier to 'game' the system once people knew how it worked.

edit: basically with both systems the relative order of ranked players stayed mostly the same, but using the weighted values the better players had bigger numbers and the worse players had smaller numbers.

edit2: also I don't have this data available any more and I am too lazy to go back and rebuild all of it right now. if there is enough interest I could do it eventually since I still have all the wex log data but :effort:

astr0man fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 16, 2015

RipDouglas
Oct 18, 2014

My tournament team has a very flexible schedule and is available to dumpster the rest of you for our free skins pretty much anytime.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

In my experience its fairly similar to MM in that sometimes the skill matchup is terrible and sometimes its a really good game. I find that the 9-12 RWS is kind of like the Badge rank in MM. There are some crazy good and really bad players all within that range. Below or above that range is fairly predictable.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I personally love ADR as a stat.

RipDouglas
Oct 18, 2014

astr0man posted:

I know what RWS is, and I think RWS is a bad metric for rating players in CS:GO.

Was just putting out there for anyone who didn't. I also agree it isn't great. People just chase kills and it doesn't really promote team work in MM

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

RipDouglas posted:

Was just putting out there for anyone who didn't. I also agree it isn't great. People just chase kills and it doesn't really promote team work in MM

Ah my mistake then.

Also for anyone who cares, the altpug (does altpug even still exist??) rating system is just RWS except that you also get points for a lost round, rather than getting a 0.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
adr > rws

RipDouglas
Oct 18, 2014

astr0man posted:

Ah my mistake then.

Also for anyone who cares, the altpug (does altpug even still exist??) rating system is just RWS except that you also get points for a lost round, rather than getting a 0.

CEVO bought Altpug, and yeah, they still use efficacy.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I don't understand this market:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I don't think ADR as a player metric is any better than RWS/efficacy, since RWS/efficacy is essentially just your ADR divided by your teams total ADR (with the bonus points for plant/defuse).

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I like it more because I look at the little chart when I'm having an off game and I'm usually still team topping damage. Feels nice.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

metallicaeg posted:

I don't understand this market:

I think this can be explained by the fact that you cannot use StatTraks in trade up contracts so they tend to be cheaper when on shittier weapons.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
How do the trade up contracts work? If you take like 10 lovely Mac10's does it give you a better Mac10 or just a better random weapon?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You get a random weapon with random quality from the next rarity tier.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

astr0man posted:

You get a random weapon with random quality from the next rarity tier.

Ah, dang. I'd do it for a better mp7 or or one of the rifles, but a random just isn't worth it. I don't want to end up with a shotgun.

Do they work on knives? (Dumb question since who would do that when the cost of getting 10 knives isn't worth the trade up)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Kazinsal posted:

So for matchmaking, just suck less than the other team and hope the number god that guesses how good you are is underestimating your abilities. Got it.

I put this stuff in the OP for a reason. If you're good enough to consistently swing games in your favor then you WILL rank up. Period. If you're not good enough to do this then you will not rank up and don't deserve to. Period.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
If anyone has a free week of ESEA I'd love it if you could steam message it to me, I want to give it a try. I might be able to throw some skins your way or a key or something idk.

E: If you have esea and are willing to play with someone who is probably below the average skill level, hmu as well.

henne fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 16, 2015

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Necc0 posted:

I put this stuff in the OP for a reason. If you're good enough to consistently swing games in your favor then you WILL rank up. Period. If you're not good enough to do this then you will not rank up and don't deserve to. Period.

How does MM work when queuing up with other people? Can you do it with people of a higher rank than you or can it be with in the same range (ie: silvers can queue with silvers vs silver 3's with silver 3's only)?

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
If you're asking for a rating system to try to incorporate individual performance metrics, while the actual game is team based with a single outcome, you should be aware that you're asking for faster rating adaption at the cost of robustness and most likely accuracy too.

Put more simply: a rating system that incorporates individual metrics will give you a new wrong rating more quickly.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Crain posted:

How does MM work when queuing up with other people? Can you do it with people of a higher rank than you or can it be with in the same range (ie: silvers can queue with silvers vs silver 3's with silver 3's only)?

A 5 stack can have any ratings. For less than 5 there's a limit on how much ranks you can differ.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Thom and the Heads posted:

I think this can be explained by the fact that you cannot use StatTraks in trade up contracts so they tend to be cheaper when on shittier weapons.
Yeah but putting a $5 skin into a trade-up contract is beyond foolish though, right?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

metallicaeg posted:

Yeah but putting a $5 skin into a trade-up contract is beyond foolish though, right?

Stop using logic and just gamble, you could get that statrak item that will cover the cost of all 10 skins.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

metallicaeg posted:

Not necessarily. For instance, if you were to have ten ~$11 dollar P90 Emerald Dragons, you could put those into a contract and have a 50/50 chance at getting a Fire Serpent AK which could be worth a lot more than the P90s. Of course, you could also get a 9 dollar Deagle skin so :csgo:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
You cant get stattrak items from trade-up contracts.

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
You don't get stattraks from tradeup contracts. You get a random item of the next highest rarity from one of the collections that you put in. 10 Nova antiques will give you a 50-50 shot at an AWP Asiimov, and it's why they're so expensive.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
I cant believe Steel is was invited to commentate on a pro game. He even made a joke about throwing for skins.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

bpower posted:

I cant believe Steel is was invited to commentate on a pro game. He even made a joke about throwing for skins.

Just because he threw for skins doesn't mean his insight from a pro's perspective is any less valid. If anything he will likely be able to tell if other teams are throwing since he was so good at it.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

bpower posted:

The impotence/balls discussion on Inferno was top notch commentary.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

DareToSlack posted:

You don't get stattraks from tradeup contracts. You get a random item of the next highest rarity from one of the collections that you put in. 10 Nova antiques will give you a 50-50 shot at an AWP Asiimov, and it's why they're so expensive.

How does it work if you use skins from different collections? If I have 1 skin from one and 9 from another, I'd have a 10/90% shot at getting the respective collection?

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

astr0man posted:

For what it's worth, back when wex existed I had an alternate version of gpskill that used RWS to weight a players contribution to a round won or lost. The end result of both the weighted and unweighted systems were almost identical, and I decided to not use the RWS version because it would be easier to 'game' the system once people knew how it worked.

edit: basically with both systems the relative order of ranked players stayed mostly the same, but using the weighted values the better players had bigger numbers and the worse players had smaller numbers.

edit2: also I don't have this data available any more and I am too lazy to go back and rebuild all of it right now. if there is enough interest I could do it eventually since I still have all the wex log data but :effort:

:goonsay:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

How does it work if you use skins from different collections? If I have 1 skin from one and 9 from another, I'd have a 10/90% shot at getting the respective collection?

Correct, this is why some crazy people will use a M4A1-S Knight, a $250-300 weapon, in a trade up with 9 others in hopes of getting a dragon lore. Some people even use 4-5 Knights from what I have heard.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Can't you guys just go play the slots like slightly-more-normal people?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol at going out in public

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Awesome Welles posted:

lol at going out in public

online poker

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
yo, question to the guy who sold that bayonet doppler for 2k, did it go to summit? I can't help but notice his Stattrak Bayonet Doppler that looks FN in the a51 vs elevate match where he 40 bombed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Luna can you post your trade link again? I have some cases I can send you to open for tourny winnings. Any preferance on cases? No chroma but I have huntsman, phoenix, vanguard, some other poo poo too probs.

• Locked thread