Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MeruFM posted:

reminds me of when people disabled it on their blogs and then popped up "don't steal code lololol"

it is more tedious these days, they write javascript that replaces the contents of the clipboard with either a message or reference detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I was in the shower the other day and I was thinking about what it would take to write a javascript logging framework like slf4j where you could have configured endpoints like console.log or write to a web socket and then I realized what I was thinking of doing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MeruFM posted:

the event for right clicking with the menu is contextmenu

right mouse clicks also fire mousedown/etc. with the button and buttons event properties set appropriately.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

right mouse clicks also fire mousedown/etc. with the button and buttons event properties set appropriately.

yeah mousedown, 1,2,3 for left, middle and right respectively. I wasnt trying to gently caress with the context menus per se, just observe what is going on

MeruFM posted:

That's definitely not a "good programmer" thing to do

its definetely me

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
in a break from lovely project work its time to peer review some essays! i ask you this yospos

"And how can we
find all the frauds and errors of the security in a computer system, if we don't try to break it?"

:argh:

Marc Rogers, a behavioural sciences researcher at the
University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, identifies the hackers in four categories – Old School Hackers,
Script Kiddies or Cyber-Punks, Professional Criminals, or Crackers and Coders and Virus Writers
(Ziegler, Fötinger).

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > As we mentioned earlier, crackers are the evil hackers.

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 16, 2015

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

help me yospos
im trying to write a thing in visual studio using qt and i have the qt addin installed, but im also trying to link against some other headerfiles from another thing and ive added them to the vs linker options (well the folder theyre in) but vs says it cant find/open them or something?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
have you tried whisky until the pain goes away

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Soricidus posted:

good idea

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hello folks

i've been slapping some poo poo together for work in javascript/jquery, and have also been mucking around with them outside of work to better familiarize myself.

javascript is awful, like, omg

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
"God our schema sucks. Why does a join table have ids?"

"You shouldn't need configuration if you follow convention"

:geno:

Code First EF is everything wrong with a plang put into C#.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

hello folks

i've been slapping some poo poo together for work in javascript/jquery, and have also been mucking around with them outside of work to better familiarize myself.

javascript is awful, like, omg

javascript is v bad

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
all programming languages are equally terrible, but some are more equally terrible than others

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Arcsech posted:

javascript is v bad

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
javascript is ok

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
javascript is bad because there's too many ways to do things and most of them are bad

lots of bad programmers use javascript

ergo, javascript is bad because people give bad advice on how to use javascript

well crafted javascript, especially using ES6 generators and iterators will be about as good as any dynamic language can hope to be. still bad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Awia posted:

help me yospos
im trying to write a thing in visual studio using qt and i have the qt addin installed, but im also trying to link against some other headerfiles from another thing and ive added them to the vs linker options (well the folder theyre in) but vs says it cant find/open them or something?

I don't have VS to hand right now, but I think you want the include path and not the linker, if you're dealing with headers. (You include headers and link against libraries, so I think your terminology might be a bit confused.)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arcsech posted:

javascript is v bad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

uncurable mlady posted:

javascript is ok

wrong

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

MeruFM posted:

javascript is bad because there's too many ways to do things and most of them are bad
perl: "there's more than one way to do it"

python: "there should be one and preferably only one obvious way to do it"

ruby: "there should be as many ways to do it as possible"

java script: "eh, gently caress it, we're not going to define any ways to do it at all, I'm sure people will figure something out"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the whole "one way to do it" vs. "lots of ways to do it" dichotomy is retarded and the p-langiest debate ever.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
because it's an open-and-shut question to which python, and only python, gave the correct answer?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Soricidus posted:

ruby: "there should be as many ways to do it as possible, and anyone still using ruby in 2015 thinks theirs is the only correct way"

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
is it normal to be 12 indents deep in case/successes in scala???

i think I already know the answer to this question because the script in question also uses mongodb

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

i think I already know the answer to this question because the script in question also uses mongodb

lol. you need... a monard.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Corla Plankun posted:

lol if i go more than 2 cases deep in any language i get extremely bothered and start refactoring everything

this is why i will probably never program anything of importance

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
12 spaces is my default indentation

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

each level of indentation is a different prime number.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

qntm posted:

because it's an open-and-shut question to which python, and only python, gave the correct answer?

nah

cpan is clearly better than pip / npm / etc

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 17, 2015

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

qntm posted:

I think dropping filter() and map() is pretty uncontroversial

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

OldAlias posted:

nah

cpan is clearly better than pip / npm / etc

cpan is the originator of the gross and terrible conceit that you can just distribute source code and build it in situ because "hey it's mostly scripts right?" without that original sin maybe we would not have to deal with pip or npm or the others

on the other hand, cpan recognized its error early on. the beating heart of cpan is the culture of testing. even trivial libraries have hundreds of tests, and test suite results are collated centrally by cpan, so you can see which platforms are broken with which versions of perl

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
is it just me or is actually trying to find new things on github kind of terrible

like if you have a link it's fine but otherwise bleh

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

is it just me or is actually trying to find new things on github kind of terrible

like if you have a link it's fine but otherwise bleh

their organization is kinda hosed, it takes like 3-4 steps to get to a specific language's popular repos which is annoying

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

current job status: manager introduced me to my supervisor, left, came back, and berated her for 10 minutes for "slacking"

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

current job status: manager introduced me to my supervisor, left, came back, and berated her for 10 minutes for "slacking"

work there as long as you can stand and then use your experience to gtfo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Luigi Thirty posted:

if your state is on this list the gws goons swear by this place: http://www.klwines.com/state_legality.asp

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Stringent posted:

if your state is on this list the gws goons swear by this place: http://www.klwines.com/state_legality.asp

no florida :smith:

i walked in and they were like "well here's a cube, here's a computer, i think it has office on it? oh well have fun" and i spent all day either updating windows, installing visual studio and friends, or eating granola bars while waiting for git to fetch a 1.5gb codebase and i still don't know what i actually do all day

it was still checking out when i left for the day

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

Olin Shivers posted:

I couldn't get through the day as it is without the Prozac and Jack Daniels I keep on the shelf, behind my Tops-20 JSYS manuals. I start getting the shakes real bad around 10am, right before my advisor meetings. A 10 oz. Jack 'n Zac helps me get through the meetings without one of my students winding up with his severed head in a bowling-ball bag.

from the scsh manual, of course. wonder what Olin is up to these days…

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

no florida :smith:

i walked in and they were like "well here's a cube, here's a computer, i think it has office on it? oh well have fun" and i spent all day either updating windows, installing visual studio and friends, or eating granola bars while waiting for git to fetch a 1.5gb codebase and i still don't know what i actually do all day

look at all those binaries in git

you should probably use git-svn, but in the other direction than it it's normally used

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

sounds better than retail!

more seriously, back when I started at my current employer, it legit took about two weeks for all of the various accounts I'd need to be created, all of the access lists to be updated, and so on. during that time, a coworker gave me a tarball of our code so I could start learning it, I went to a lot of design meetings, and I figured out how to update quickly to our latest builds.

only after that I could really start coding for serious. (and a couple months later I got to demo it all on stage, whee!)

(also, nowadays it's all pretty much all set by the time a new hire is done with their orientation & training stuff.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Brain Candy posted:

look at all those binaries in git

what if

just stick with me here for a second

what if it's all code?

• Locked thread