Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Awesome! posted:

why do i keep getting only vdrome and kut ku guild quests when they dont even show up in the expedition

Almost all of the early expidition monsters only drop those 2 quests:

Seltas = VDrome, Yan Kut-Ku, Rajan
Yan Kut-Ku = Yan Kut-Ku, Basarios, Yan Kut-Ku Subspecies, Rajan
Kecha Wacha = Rajan, VDrome, Yan Kut-Ku, Basarios
Tetsucabra = Daimyo Sub, Basarios, Rajan, Devil Jho
VDrome = VDrome, Yan Kut-Ku, Chameleos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

When I go an expedition and it lists the weapon type as bow/bowgun, does that mean guild quests I earn on the expedition are more likely to have bow/bowgun rewards, or does it only apply to weapons I find on that expedition?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Holy poo poo I just beat Shagaru Magala in under 10 minutes on the first try.

That fight is like the anti-Caedeus. Shag has low HP for an Elder Dragon but jumps around like crazy and sprays explosions everywhere. It's great, probably one of the most involved fights in the series.

10/10 would murder again.

I thought he was a lot easier than Gore just due to the fact that you fight him at final destination.

Emalde posted:

Has anybody unlocked Ruby Basarios yet? I can't seem to find it in any quest lists. Seems like it might be HR only but the internet yields nothing.

Ping's dex only has HR and G drops listed for him.

Zaphod42 posted:

Gunlance is pretty good if you're not so good at dodging, and I never see people online using them so somebody should because they're cool as gently caress.

I love gunlance but it has sort of a weird counterintuitive play style and fiddly controls so I'm not surprised it isn't very popular. More popular than lance though, I never see anyone using them despite them being really good.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 17, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I will not stand for Gunlance hate. http://youtu.be/n00_s-VIOnc

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Potsticker posted:

I will not stand for Gunlance hate. http://youtu.be/n00_s-VIOnc

Ganransu is definitely the best weapon for PvP.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Mithross posted:

The bug always flys out in a straight line when you first send him off, but it's awkward because it's the way your hunter is facing, not the camera, despite the crosshairs. After he flys in a straight line for awhile (until he hits something? until stamina? honestly not sure despite maining glaive), then the bug homes in on your shot point.

As for the return time, that's strictly a function of his speed. That's why most people just build for speed, since bug juice is what's really important.

The reason why your bug doesn't seem to respond sometimes is because it gets tired if you try to command it too much in a short period of time. It starts out with ~3 commands and they regen at about one every three seconds. You can upgrade stamina to get more commands.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Somebody was asking about Caravan 6 quests after Kirin earlier and I was wondering the same. I looked up the quests and their monsters only have HR drops, so I assume they require some form of HR progress? They appear to be what were MH4 vanilla endgame quests so might need gathering hall HR specifically.

Anybody actually unlocked them yet? Been holding off on online stuff and advancing in caravan high rank, but if they for sure unlock via online might make that my goal for the week.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How could you not post the greatest Gunlance video ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPmsCMv8N-o

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Body Carve S.Magala Plate 1 3%
Tail Carve S.Magala Plate 1 4%
Shiny Drops S.Magala Plate 1 2%
Break Horn S.Magala Plate 1 3%

:smithicide:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

How could you not post the greatest Gunlance video ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPmsCMv8N-o

This one is about twice as long as it needs to be and is better watched muted. :colbert:

I still chuckled, though.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hunting Rathian is like seeing an old friend. I love that lady :3:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

What are the percentages for v.drome claws? I need four more to upgrade my vprey claws, and haven't seen one drop between two captures and one kill.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Moldy Taxes posted:

What are the percentages for v.drome claws? I need four more to upgrade my vprey claws, and haven't seen one drop between two captures and one kill.
53% on carve, 0% on capture. Stop capturing them.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

The Moon Monster posted:

Ping's dex only has HR and G drops listed for him.

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I guess I'll have to do every 6* mission until it unlocks to find out how and just post it.

E: Meat Upgrades, since I see this in IRC constantly

1. Bite Your Tongues: Deliver 6 Popo Tongues (2-star Gathering Hall quest)
2. Advanced: Purge and Binge: Hunt a Tetsucabra and a Zamtrios (3-star Gathering Hall)
3. Apes of Wrath: Hunt a Kecha Wacha and an Emerald Congalala (4-star Gathering Hall quest)

Emalde fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 17, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is Affinity supposed to be crit rate? This gunlance is a 100 raw improvement over my current one but has -20%.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Is Affinity supposed to be crit rate? This gunlance is a 100 raw improvement over my current one but has -20%.

Yeah, if you've got -20% that means you have a 20% chance of doing less damage when you hit.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ciaphas posted:

Positive affinity is a percent chance to hit for 125%, negative affinity is a percent chance to hit for 75%. So -20% affinity means you'll do (.8 * 1 + .2 * .75) = 95% damage on average.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Yes.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah. I think it's 125% on a crit, 75% on a "bad" (negative affinity) crit.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Affinity is critical hits. If it's plus then sometimes you hit for 1.25. If it's minus then sometimes you hit for .75. But only that % of the time. So 1000 raw with -20% affinity is (1000 * .8 + 1000 * .75 * .2) so it adds up to 950. As you can see, you can also just take 2.5% off raw for each -10% affinity and vice versa for plus.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Does anyone have a link to the goon's youtube channel with all the Monster Hunter videos? I should have saved it but I'm a dummy and didn't.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

jabro posted:

Does anyone have a link to the goon's youtube channel with all the Monster Hunter videos? I should have saved it but I'm a dummy and didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SocialDissonance/featured

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Elysiume posted:

53% on carve, 0% on capture. Stop capturing them.

RIP. Thanks for the info.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013
Is there a way to fill in Hunters for Hire without picking up Streetpasses? I barely leave my home and when I do there don't appear to be any MH fans around

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Feeling some hipster satisfaction from hearing how underused Lance and Hunting Horn are. I'm still a long way off from being good at HH, but I'm quite enjoying it, and Lancing is the best. My only trouble is I don't want to make all of both weapons so I've gotta figure out the best paths to take. Also HBGing some since I fell in love with my Hallowed Dracannon at the end of MH3U, I'm pretty bad at it still though. I think I may prefer the mobility of LBG but I don't like statusing much and I love the sheer power of the HBG.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pheace posted:

Is there a way to fill in Hunters for Hire without picking up Streetpasses? I barely leave my home and when I do there don't appear to be any MH fans around

If you go online, you can send your guild card to anybody you're in a lobby with. Just go into lobbies and ask people to send their cards to you / send your card to them.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Feeling some hipster satisfaction from hearing how underused Lance and Hunting Horn are. I'm still a long way off from being good at HH, but I'm quite enjoying it, and Lancing is the best. My only trouble is I don't want to make all of both weapons so I've gotta figure out the best paths to take. Also HBGing some since I fell in love with my Hallowed Dracannon at the end of MH3U, I'm pretty bad at it still though. I think I may prefer the mobility of LBG but I don't like statusing much and I love the sheer power of the HBG.

Don't forget that you don't have to upgrade all the way down the tree. If you get far enough you can upgrade to later weapons or you can just make them outright. Making them outright requires different materials, sometimes the same but more, but sometimes entirely different pieces. Sometimes easier pieces, ironically.

So its not so bad to skip around between different weapon types.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'd like to avoid online play till I finish the village quests at least but hopefully there's likeminded people around

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Emalde posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I guess I'll have to do every 6* mission until it unlocks to find out how and just post it.

E: Meat Upgrades, since I see this in IRC constantly

1. Bite Your Tongues: Deliver 6 Popo Tongues (2-star Gathering Hall quest)

Any idea how to unlock this? I was searching this morning and came up with nothing beyond other people asking the question. It's just not in the list.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow this is getting kind of boring being asked to kill 5 piss easy dinosaurs, or 8 slightly larger piss easy dinosaurs.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Wow this is getting kind of boring being asked to kill 5 piss easy dinosaurs, or 8 slightly larger piss easy dinosaurs.
They aren't key quests so you might as well leave them aside until you need something from those small piss easy dinosaurs.

Hunting Horn is awesome but it's kind of lame when you're starting out because you don't have buddies to buff and the songs aren't all that good. It gets amazing in G rank.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

You don't have to fight those, and if you haven't been given the quest to fight an actual monster you are very close to it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Thanks!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

If you go online, you can send your guild card to anybody you're in a lobby with. Just go into lobbies and ask people to send their cards to you / send your card to them.

does this also let you exchange palicoes and guild quests?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've just unlocked expeditions. I'm not really having a huge problem with game difficulty, but I'm a bit clueless when it comes to what I should be crafting armor wise. Is there anything I should be farming specifically for in the beginning?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Zotix posted:

I've just unlocked expeditions. I'm not really having a huge problem with game difficulty, but I'm a bit clueless when it comes to what I should be crafting armor wise. Is there anything I should be farming specifically for in the beginning?

I'm not sure about this myself. I got up to the tetsucabra without changing from the starter armor and even then, I only changed because I thought it looked neat. Low rank is very forgiving damage-wise so I don't think it really matters until high rank, where you start wanting to get more defense and skills.

In other words, you can just stick with whatever you've got unless you're specifically having problems with a certain type of monster, then you might consider upgrading to a better set to tackle that fight.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Velocidrone armour is good offensively, tetsucabra is good defensively.

With the velo set, you can gem in attack up M and detect easily as well (need 2 attack gems and 2 psychic gems to do so).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This really is a big improvement over 3U in a lot of little ways. Everything's slightly smoother and easier to get done, palico cat army of NPC allies is amazing :allears: and the whole single player with multiple cities and cool story developments is a huge improvement.

Turtlicious posted:

:ssh: you can skip those. There's just like one thing you HAVE to do and then you can do harder things.

Fauxtool posted:

does this also let you exchange palicoes and guild quests?

Guild quests definitely, have done it. Palicoes not sure but probably.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
My friend is looking for a circle pad pro XL. Is there any place to find it at a reasonable price? I remember mine was about 20bux. Apparently Gamestop only has the circle pad for the regular 3DS and you have to buy the XL from Japan.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone explain the targeting system to me? I know it has something to do with L but I can't seem to get it to work.

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

Tracula posted:

My friend is looking for a circle pad pro XL. Is there any place to find it at a reasonable price? I remember mine was about 20bux. Apparently Gamestop only has the circle pad for the regular 3DS and you have to buy the XL from Japan.

I ordered mine from here, it took about a week to get to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

Can someone explain the targeting system to me? I know it has something to do with L but I can't seem to get it to work.

Lock by tapping the target icon on the touch screen once you've spotted a big monster.

Tap L once to target monster (if in zone) and tap L twice to return to forward view.

As someone who's used to 'claw' play from the PSP I find the target lock disorienting, I'd rather have him in my blind spot but have a good idea of where I am/going. I usually have a good idea of where they are anyway.

• Locked thread