Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wankie posted:

Well, the new Root Metrics report of network performance is out for last half of 2014 and Sprint just kicked T-Mobile back down to its proper place as the worst network in America. Cue enraged T-mobile fan boys.

http://recode.net/2015/02/09/sprint-is-no-longer-the-worst-network-says-rootmetrics-study/

Both services are still terrible, we probably all still wish we were on Verizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

thelightguy posted:

Someone finally noticed that you can't get calls on t-mobile if you live more than 15 miles from a metropolitan center. Thank god Sprint roams on to Verizon or we'd be in the same boat.

Does T-Mobile not roam onto AT&T in the same manner?

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

td4guy posted:

Does T-Mobile not roam onto AT&T in the same manner?

Nope. T-Mobile signs limited roaming agreements with ATT for specific towers to roam on. Even if you have no T-Mobile signal it won't roam on ATT unless its one of those special towers and the majority of ATT towers are excluded for roaming. Also, Root Metrics turns off all domestic roaming when running their tests so Sprint's universal roaming agreement with Verizon has no effect on their scores.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea Sprint has picked it up reasonably this year. Most everywhere I go now I get LTE or good enough 3G (1Mbit+) and voice calling is still as good as it always has been for me.
And I too have tethered upwards of 40+G off of LTE and heck, up to 20G off of 3G various times lol. Never had a problem. Though it would be hard to identify from data usage alone as I pull nearly that using just the phone at times because its faster than my home 2Mbit DSL so yea.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Could anyone tech who is tech savvy regarding Sprint explain to me why occasionally I won't receive my texts/calls even when I have several bars of coverage?

The problem is intermittent enough that Sprint's support can't do anything about it. But occasionally my wife will call 2-4 times and none of them will come through (others have the same result though they don't usually try as many times). Texts sometimes will be delivered hours after they were sent. Like, 4 hours after they were sent. This happens regardless of signal strength. Problem is, I have no idea how often the issue really comes up because I'm only made aware of it on days when my wife tries to get a hold of me and is unable. I really don't receive that many time sensitive texts/calls.

Anytime I call support they just have me do a software update and phone reboot then try and sell me a tablet. I'd just like to understand the process behind my phone not working as a phone.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

Could anyone tech who is tech savvy regarding Sprint explain to me why occasionally I won't receive my texts/calls even when I have several bars of coverage?

The problem is intermittent enough that Sprint's support can't do anything about it. But occasionally my wife will call 2-4 times and none of them will come through (others have the same result though they don't usually try as many times). Texts sometimes will be delivered hours after they were sent. Like, 4 hours after they were sent. This happens regardless of signal strength. Problem is, I have no idea how often the issue really comes up because I'm only made aware of it on days when my wife tries to get a hold of me and is unable. I really don't receive that many time sensitive texts/calls.

Anytime I call support they just have me do a software update and phone reboot then try and sell me a tablet. I'd just like to understand the process behind my phone not working as a phone.

What type of phone do you have? This actually can make a difference.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Stick100 posted:

What type of phone do you have? This actually can make a difference.

Samsung Galaxy S4. It actually did crop up after I got this phone a year ago.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Assuming you have the tri-band LTE version of that phone, which was released like 13 months ago, then the problem lies with the CSFB. Basically your phone cannot run the 1x and LTE radios at the same time. Instead, it sits on LTE all the time and switches to 1x when it receives a message like "hey, you have an incoming phone call", or "text message inbound!". And that's what's screwing up.

But hey, your battery life is great since you only have one radio active at a time!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well that's way more descriptive than I ever got from Sprint customer service on chat or phone, so thanks for that.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The 4G service on my old Galaxy Nexus was atrocious. The 4G service is incredible in comparison. The phone can make a lot of difference.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

PBCrunch posted:

The 4G service on my old Galaxy Nexus was atrocious. The 4G service is incredible in comparison. The phone can make a lot of difference.

The Galaxy Nexus used WiMax for its 4G. Newer phones use LTE. So it's a combination of the phone and the network type!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

nimper posted:

The Galaxy Nexus used WiMax for its 4G. Newer phones use LTE. So it's a combination of the phone and the network type!

Uhhhhhhhh no?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

amenenema posted:

Uhhhhhhhh no?

Uhhhh yeah okay fine

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

nimper posted:

Uhhhh yeah okay fine

It's a complicated issue, but there are certain phones (recent phones refered to as Spark phones) that engage in some odd behaviors in certain markets. This causes some pretty extreme issues rarely like horrible data or missed phone calls. It's mostly in the Northeastern markets if I recall correctly.

The S4 did you get it on launch or more recently?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Stick100 posted:

It's a complicated issue, but there are certain phones (recent phones refered to as Spark phones) that engage in some odd behaviors in certain markets. This causes some pretty extreme issues rarely like horrible data or missed phone calls. It's mostly in the Northeastern markets if I recall correctly.

The S4 did you get it on launch or more recently?

More recent. Looks like I purchased it in February last year.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

More recent. Looks like I purchased it in February last year.

Then you probably got a Spark S4, and the issue describe by td4guy is likely the cause. Sorry Spark is a problem in the non-incumbent markets. Thread title might be what you want sorry.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Actually, The Ferret King is in one of the good markets that shouldn't be having any issues.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Curiouser and curiouser.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
My friend has that happen a lot where he won't get texts for sometimes days and then just gets all of them. I think he had this happening before too, and I've had it happen on my old, old phone and my mom has had it happen a few times too I think. My friend is in KC and I'm in DFW, so both incumbent markets, he has my old Note 2 and I have a Note 4, but he has this problem sporadically with all texts.

The Note 4 having Spark is sorta odd, it seems about like the Note 2 as far as speeds, but I almost always have just 1 bar, and sometimes it'll switch between 3g and 4g a few times while doing something. I'm probably just on the edge of a tower's radius or something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Galaxy S5 just got Lollipop. I am installing the update right now, but it's 5.0, not the latest version of Lollipop that is a lot more stable. :/

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

I said come in! posted:

My Galaxy S5 just got Lollipop. I am installing the update right now, but it's 5.0, not the latest version of Lollipop that is a lot more stable. :/

It's Samsung lollipop 5.0 though. It's possible whatever issue was affecting the nexus phones was fixed by Samsung, or wouldn't have affected Samsung devices anyway.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

It's also possible that they doubled the battery life with the Lollipop update, but how likely is that?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Harminoff posted:

Well that worked, thanks!

So now my choices are s4, g3 vigor, lg g flex, HTC One® E8, moto x

Though I'm guessing the only one worth while though is the s4?

Not sure if you've bought a phone already, but if not, the G3 (the normal G3, not the G3 vigor) is $50 with a 2 year agreement, web only.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So this sprint unlimited everything for 60 bucks seems too good to be true. Whose kidney do I have to steal for it to work right?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Grumpwagon posted:

Not sure if you've bought a phone already, but if not, the G3 (the normal G3, not the G3 vigor) is $50 with a 2 year agreement, web only.

I haven't so I checked and it looks like it is still $199 for me. I'd have to upgrade to the $60 or the family plan for it :(

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Harminoff posted:

I haven't so I checked and it looks like it is still $199 for me. I'd have to upgrade to the $60 or the family plan for it :(

Must have been a 1 day thing. It's $199 for me too now.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Gah that's a bummer. Any way to have price drops alerted to me or is it just something I'll need to check often?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Ninkobei posted:

So this sprint unlimited everything for 60 bucks seems too good to be true. Whose kidney do I have to steal for it to work right?

You have to add the device payment to it or bring your own phone.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
What happens if the second line on my two-line account ports out? My brother wants to leave our plan and doesn't care about paying the $100 ETF. I only have a couple months left on the contract for my line, so I'd rather just stick with Sprint until that's up and save $100. Will my plan automatically change to an appropriate individual plan? We have the 1500min/unlimited data plan right now.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
So I'm currently on an employee plan for $25/mo, what are the chances I get to keep this plan once I change jobs?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Sprint recently updated their Device/SIM Unlocking Policy page on 2/11/15 to reflect the CTIA Voluntary Unlocking Policy changes
http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Unlocking for International Travel (no changes here):
  • All capable devices can be International SIM-unlocked for foreign travel if you meet some loose criteria.
Unlocking for Domestic Usage:
  • Associated account in good standing
  • Device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
  • Any associated Service Agreement, Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including payment in full of any applicable early termination fees or end-of-lease purchase options
For domestic SIM unlockable devices launched after February 2015, Sprint will automatically unlock the device when it becomes eligible.

Generally, if you have a device that was launched prior to February 2015 and it is capable of being unlocked, Sprint will provide a bill notification and/or text message when you are eligible to have your device unlocked. The bill notification will direct you to Sprint Customer Care who can assist in efforts to unlock your device.

For inactive devices, customers must contact Sprint Customer Care to request that their DSU-capable device be unlocked.

They provide a chart indicating what pre-February 2015 devices are Domestic SIM Unlock capable. So far, it's only the iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, and 6 Plus (iPhone 4s and 5 are excluded). All the Android devices listed are International SIM only, and I don't expect this to change. This is probably because the existing Sprint Android phones were manufactured to be International SIM unlock capable only, whereas Apple maintains a device whitelist for iPhone activation purposes that Sprint was able to have amended for older devices like the iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, and 6+. Previously, all the Sprint iPhones could only be International unlocked by request, where the iPhone IMEI is added to Apple's unlock whitelist and then reset/restored in iTunes.

This should help with Sprint iPhone resale value, as an unlocked Sprint iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, or 6+ has all the same LTE bands as the AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon version. The 6/6+ may even work on Verizon's LTE network with a working Verizon SIM, and I presume would download the necessary Carrier Update file to work with Voice over LTE.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

e.pilot posted:

So I'm currently on an employee plan for $25/mo, what are the chances I get to keep this plan once I change jobs?

Depends on how long your current job lets you keep it. I was on that plan for a year after i left Best Buy but they finally noticed in an audit and cut me off. The good news was when i called sprint they put me on SERO.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Medullah posted:

Depends on how long your current job lets you keep it. I was on that plan for a year after i left Best Buy but they finally noticed in an audit and cut me off. The good news was when i called sprint they put me on SERO.

Nice, that's still a really good deal for service.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I was one my plan for 5 years or so before they figured it out. It just depends on how diligent they are about auditing employee accounts.

I, too, am on SERO now which is why I'm reluctant to switch from Sprint even though they don't always connect my texts or calls. The data performance is usually pretty nice at least.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

I was one my plan for 5 years or so before they figured it out. It just depends on how diligent they are about auditing employee accounts.

I, too, am on SERO now which is why I'm reluctant to switch from Sprint even though they don't always connect my texts or calls. The data performance is usually pretty nice at least.

Unlimited data is really the only reason I stay with them. I commute 2.5 hours a day and burn a solid 6-7gigs a month with streaming audio.

As long as they stay unlimited and their speeds are good enough for that I can't really complain.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is my Nexus 5 capable of 5Ghz hotspot?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
What are the best non-spark phones? I like using data while I talk on the phone (actually comes in very handy) and I travel distances to work so I don't want to lose this.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm currently on a plan with my whole family. My brother is the account holder. I have an iPhone5 and want to upgrade to the 6. Is there anything I need to do aside from going to the Apple Store and getting a new phone?

Will it gently caress up the current plan in any way if I do this? I'd be doing another 2 year contract, so $199 for the 16gb iPhone6 is what I'm planning on.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

thisdude23 posted:

What are the best non-spark phones? I like using data while I talk on the phone (actually comes in very handy) and I travel distances to work so I don't want to lose this.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 or the HTC One (M7). Or an iPhone 5s/5c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

td4guy posted:

The Samsung Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 or the HTC One (M7). Or an iPhone 5s/5c.

Gotta be careful the to get a specific model of S4 as it switched to Spark 1/2 through it production cycle.