Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
No, but I would think with all his posturing for a presidential run he'd get thrown a bone for taking the backseat to Hilary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Cliff Racer posted:

There'll have to be someone hispanic, the question is if you want to go hard on immigration or not. If not then one of the Castros, if so then there's probably a ton of choices. Unlike Joe I don't think that Kamala Harris will get too much time. Certainly not a headliner.

The aforementioned Gallego is Hispanic, I agree with Joe that he will almost definitely speak.

Additionally a large portion of the Democratic delegations from California, Texas, and Florida are Latino, but I'm not really familiar with the field.

It hurts that there's not a single Democratic Latino governor at the moment and I believe that Bob Menendez (D-NJ) is the only Senator.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Meg From Family Guy posted:

What are the odds Cuomo gets a speaking spot?

I could see him doing a tribute to his dad or something like that.

To be fair, part of that is because Dems are really sucking at the whole "getting governors elected" thing in general (only 18 states out of 50).

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 17, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

To be fair, part of that is because Dems are really sucking at the whole "getting governors elected" thing in general (only 18 states out of 50).

Cuomo will probably get a spot if he wants one. The party obviously is hoping he has eight years of Hillary's presidency to mend fences for a shot in 2024. If he's still a flaming turd then, there's little lost now.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

DaveWoo posted:

Super true.

And two of those 18 are Jay Nixon and Andrew Cuomo, Jesus.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Nixon's in a red state, take what you can get.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yeah. Still though, post-Ferguson, the guy is worthless as far as national credentials go.

I like Tom Wolf a lot, but he's exactly the kind of bland, white, inoffensive Democrat who is built for the sole purpose of winning statewide Pennsylvania races and will never appear at the DNC. He'd be a better choice than Cuomo though, since his name isn't anathema to the entire activist liberal cadre, and he won in 2014 against an incumbent Republican.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky
Dan Malloy won in CT despite attempting to throw away the election at every turn. :classiclol:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Rand Paul's daddy issues are so large they can be seen across the ocean:

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Rand Paul's daddy issues are so large they can be seen across the ocean:

Do you think mental health issues should be mocked? If so, why?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

eternalname posted:

If we didn't make fun of mental health issues then libertarianism would pretty much be totally off limits so yeah.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Meg From Family Guy posted:

What are the odds Cuomo gets a speaking spot?
Everyone attending the event will receive a complimentary biography.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

eternalname posted:

I do, because mocking them is funny, just like everything else on earth.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/02/17/387035292/joe-biden-gets-a-bit-too-close-to-new-secretary-of-defenses-wife

quote:

Then it was time for Biden to swear in Ash Carter, the country's new defense secretary. That went well, until Carter started talking and Biden called Carter's wife, Stephanie, over.

For a few seconds, Biden put both hands on Carter's wife. It was reminiscent of what President George W. Bush did to German Chancellor Angela Merkel. But Biden, then took it a step further, getting really close to whisper something in her ear.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
p

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
If Biden is forced to resign over this, who would be Obama's best choice for a replacement? Elizabeth Warren? Kamala Harris? Hillary?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh god, Diamond Joe is real.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

He's not going to be forced to resign over this lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"I could eat a peach for hours"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

If Biden is forced to resign over this, who would be Obama's best choice for a replacement? Elizabeth Warren? Kamala Harris? Hillary?

Uhhhh what?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh god, Diamond Joe is real.

I with he would run for VP forever. Actually, CAN you run as VP forever?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

:ughh:

Oh Diamond Joe, never stop making the ladies uncomfortable.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I with he would run for VP forever. Actually, CAN you run as VP forever?

tl;dr: yes, unless he served as a president for what the Constitution considers 2 terms.

(to be elected as VP, one must be eligible to serve as President. To be eligible to serve as President, one must have not served two terms. Should a person become President mid-way through a term, it shall count if he serves at least 2 years)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I told you. I told you he's a chester.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rand Paul is going to announce his campaign on April 7. He's also moving forward with his push to change the KY primary into a caucus.

quote:

His Senate term is up in 2016, and Mr. Paul is planning to make his case to the Kentucky Republican Party on March 7 that it should hold a presidential caucus instead of selecting its candidate in the primary scheduled for May 2016. The Senate primary would still be held in May, but a presidential caucus would be held earlier, so Mr. Paul technically would not appear twice on the same ballot.

Mr. Paul laid out this argument in a letter to state Republicans recently, asking that they allow him the same option Representative Paul D. Ryan had in 2012, when he ran simultaneously for his congressional seat in Wisconsin and as Mitt Romney’s running mate. “My request to you is simply to be treated equally compared to other potential candidates for the presidency,” Mr. Paul wrote.

If he fails to persuade Kentucky Republicans to switch to a caucus, his advisers say, one possible recourse could be to challenge the law in court.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dancer posted:

tl;dr: yes, unless he served as a president for what the Constitution considers 2 terms.

(to be elected as VP, one must be eligible to serve as President. To be eligible to serve as President, one must have not served two terms. Should a person become President mid-way through a term, it shall count if he serves at least 2 years)

That's still up for legal debate; it hasn't come up in the courts yet, but there are legal arguments in both directions. The question is because the 12th amendment says that a vice presidential candidate has to be constitutionally eligible to be president, which some legal scholars say refers only to the specific eligibility of service requirements in Article Two rather than the eligibility of election requirements introduced by the 22nd amendment.

It's not likely to ever be decided, though, because no one would risk selecting a VP nominee that had served for two terms as president anyway and having their nominee invalidated by the courts.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Joementum posted:

Rand Paul is going to announce his campaign on April 7. He's also moving forward with his push to change the KY primary into a caucus.

Oh Rand, you are just the most petulant guy. What are the odds of this actually working out for him? Like... 20% chance?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
So he's giving up his Senate seat?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Cigar Aficionado posted:

He's pushing for the party to do a caucus so that he doesn't have to, no idea what he does if he doesn't have enough friends in the state for that to happen though.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Cigar Aficionado posted:

He knows that neither the Republican-controlled state senate nor the Democrat-controlled state house and executive branch care for him, so the caucus plan is kind of a longshot.

He will probably just not bother running in the Kentucky presidential primary, which he will have a hard time winning anyway given the more conventional southern republicans like Jeb and Huck who will likely be in the race.

Rand knows he has to pin his hopes on the West Coast and the Rockies. Maybe New Hampshire.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

He knows that neither the Republican-controlled state senate nor the Democrat-controlled state house and executive branch care for him, so the caucus plan is kind of a longshot.

He will probably just not bother running in the Kentucky presidential primary, which he will have a hard time winning anyway given the more conventional southern republicans like Jeb and Huck who will likely be in the race.

Rand knows he has to pin his hopes on California and the Rocky Mountains. Maybe New Hampshire.

He's in it for the long haul, I bet. Even if it doesn't work now, he may be able to get it done in 2020 if he spends 4 years building bridges and funding support. Or he may just be happy to have a national platform to beg from. Who knows?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
He's also got until 1/26/16 to make the final decision to say Senate or Pres w/r/t the Kentucky primary, so he can dick around with running for both until then.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
He will loom really bad if he doesn't run in Kentucky in a way Biden and Lieberman didn't.

There is a good chance that he could lose both the primary and his Senate seats if he isn't careful.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

My Face When posted:

:ughh:

Oh Diamond Joe, never stop making the ladies uncomfortable.

You remember the Senate swear-in? Diamond Joe has just what the ladies and ladymen need

But really, I wish the whole gay scene in DC was more pro-biden and less pro-Hillary

Caros
May 14, 2008

Is it bad of me that I want Rand Paul to win the Republican Primary by some fluke?

I just want to see a Rand Paul presidential campaign, I want to see him get more and more angry everytime someone quotes back his position on vaccinations, or the civil rights act, or his 'biology' degree verbatim.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's coming down. Obama's going to bring out his big guns to rein in Biden's groping; a joke followed by a stern look.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

It's coming down. Obama's going to bring out his big guns to rein in Biden's groping; a joke followed by a stern look.

Yeah? Well, Biden will just have to give Ruth a call to go out for drinks again

Biden and Ginsberg, living in DC....

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Worked on Putin.

Caros
May 14, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yeah? Well, Biden will just have to give Ruth a call to go out for drinks again

Biden and Ginsberg, living in DC....

One is a vice president who doesn't play by the rules... the other, a no-nonsense supreme court justice out for Scalia's blood. They are... Biden and the Gins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Whatever Rand decides, I will be interested to see how his next campaign performs.

2010 was a shock campaign during the Tea Party wave year wherein he caught provincial opposition totally off-guard.

I'm pretty familiar with Trey Grayson (the moderate/establishment former SecState Rand blew out in the primary), and he's a slick, solid, accomplished guy who should have been a fine candidate despite his association with the much-hated Fletcher administration. But during the primary you could see him flailing about in confusion, unsure of how to deal with an opposition campaign that combined the attributes of grassroots insurgency with massive out-of-state dark money streams. Rand was able to attack from every angle and had the bandwagon backing of national conservative media.

Rand could paint Grayson as too liberal due to his cooperation with Beshear. He could paint him as too conservative due to his association with Fletcher and the extent of his establishment ties. He could score aesthetic points - the great war-winner of Kentucky politics - because Grayson is a harvard academian who served on advisory boards with people like Ted Kennedy, while Rand is pretty good at the aw-shucks country doctor routine when he buckles down and concentrates on it. The latter of these was also key against Conway in the general. It was really just a perfect storm.

A nationwide election with a more general audience and a less provincial political environment is a different matter entirely.

I expect Rand's performance in 2016 will probably have some major repercussions regarding the GoP's general flirtation with libertarianism, in that it will indicate whether this is actually a strong trend within the electorate or just a fad that can project the occasional dark horse to victory in the right circumstances.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 18, 2015

• Locked thread