Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Holdbrooks posted:

I got my offer for the new job today and accepted it. Got a legit clinical title with will go a long way for me in the future and about a 10% raise to go with it. It's a pretty good birthday present other than having to tell the director at the university in the morning.

Congrats Dr. Holdbrooks PharmD! :)

I'm assuming that means 10% more funds for the exocet :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Well, aren't you lucky! All of ours use the low profile back wall. You're lucky to have a C2D, all of ours are Pentium Ds, 1 GHz, IIRC. Which is why they're going away, of course.
Tah-dah!:

Power supply, no problem, either.

Pentium D 1 GHz :stonk: No wonder they're going away.

New RAM showed up.... on President's Day. I didn't think there was mail service today :psyduck: - I think the discrepancy in usable RAM is due to the onboard video.

According to the HP documentation, the board can handle up to the E6700 (2.66 GHz C2D), and they're :20bux: on Amazon. It's a tempting upgrade. I'm on it now though, and it's very usable in its current state. Chugging a little at the moment since it's still downloading the billions of patches/updates for Win7, but that may also just be me being used to using an i5 with an SSD.

I'm going to be in Irving on Thursday afternoon, or it can wait until you're in Allen (I'm right on the border of Plano/Allen); if you need it for the recycling contract, I can bring the full height back panel. Mine came sans slot covers though. Or shipping. Whatever. I won't have the new video card for about a week anyway, and I can run it without the back wall until then.

We can hash it all out over email - awfulbean at that gmail thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Took a ride on this today :black101:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Got a new phone to replace my broken nokia.

I feel special for breaking one. The new one looks so pretty and nice. I feel like I should go hammer some nails with it or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So if someone you knew decided to quit drinking after years of accusations of being an alcoholic, the proper response is praise and encouragement right? My girlfriend's father made some offhand comment about how I'm only doing this to prove something. I have to sit across a table from him on Saturday night and I swear to god I'm going to stab him in his loving throat.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Does he smoke? If so, make a comparison, then let him know that you're on edge, but you're trying.

Then shoot him.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I have to sit across a table from him on Saturday night and I swear to god I'm going to stab him in his loving throat.

You don't have to do anything, if he insulted you tell him to gently caress off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

You don't have to do anything, if he insulted you tell him to gently caress off.

I do actually, we're attending an awards banquet Saturday (also my birthday!) where my girlfriend is up for an award for work. She invited her father who for the first time in 5 years decided he actually wants to be a part of her life.

So he's getting stabbed.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
So who is left on the old AI supercar owner roster, anyone? Blow Dog doesn't post anymore AFAIK, Porter is long gone... I remember Heropup had some pretty wicked stuff but he's gone too.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Rhyno posted:

So he's getting stabbed.

Is this why you bought the master sword?

The color combo on that murci is loving sweet! Congrats!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Spintires OWNS

-Adiabatic, 3am on a worknight

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Spintires kicks loving balls, it is amazing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yay, bank fuckup chat.

I tried to top off my car on the way home from work - I still had 3/4 of a tank, but I'm off for 2 days, and I want to get out and do some shooting (photos). Swiped my credit card at the pump.

"SEE CASHIER" - which means declined. And there's no cashier at that station at that hour anyway.

Wait, what? It's only a $250 limit secured card, but I paid it off a week ago, and last night it was showing an available balance of $200 (I've put half a tank of gas and a box of cat5e on it).

Opened up my USAA app on my phone. It showed my available credit as -$288 and change. ... the gently caress? How do you get a negative number on available credit on a secured card? Closed it, reopened it, now it's showing -$218. Closed it, opened again, now it's showing -$250. :wtc: The account balance kept increasing every time I reopened the app too. Now that I'm at home, it seems to have settled on -$218 when using the web site. That's still a $400+ discrepancy though.

Called them, not expecting an answer on a holiday at 10:30pm (I was going to report unusual activity on the card to get it blocked, thinking someone had managed to run a shitload of charges on it), and actually got a real person. He was just as confused as I was about it. He went over all the charges, both pending and completed, and everything matched up. He switched from their normal UI to "an older system that updates much faster" (I assume a terminal session with whatever mainframe/large computer/etc they use), and he said "what the hell is going on?". He went so far as to pull out a calculator and start adding up everything, and said absolutely nothing added up right in either system (and both systems showed the same transactions, but wildly different balances - the 'older system' showed over $600 in pending charges, on a card with a $250 credit limit, along with a bunch of pending overlimit fees that my account isn't even supposed to have). It's a 2 week old card (my old card got lost). He was even able to see where Netflix's auto rebill had been declined, along with the decline I saw at the gas pump (and he confirmed that the pump did an authorization for only $1, as did the pump I used the other day, so it's not authorization holds causing it).

I felt kinda bad, when I asked how he was doing he said I was his last call of the night, so his night was going really well.. then I kept him on the phone for nearly 15 minutes while he tried to figure out what the hell was going on with the account. He finally gave up and said it was definitely something hosed up with their backend system, and that my car hadn't been compromised, but everyone involved with the backend systems had gone home hours ago. He did document that I had called, and that none of the math came close to adding up. So I get to deal with that tomorrow.

I normally handle most stuff with them via email, but their email customer service can be hit and miss - and this is complicated enough that it'll be easier to handle over the phone. Over the phone they've always been stellar. I do know I've noticed a lot of issues with their online banking over the past couple of weeks, particularly with it showing incorrect available balances (it'll show recent transactions, but not factor them into the available balance.. or factor deposits into my available balance twofold for a few hours, that kind of poo poo... also does the same if I do an ATM balance inquiry), which makes me wonder what the hell is going on with their backend.

At least I'm off tomorrow.

some texas redneck posted:

Looked at the Fry's ads.

I figured a 2800 mAh battery for :10bux: couldn't be bad for when I need to top off my phone. I think they were off by at least 2 decimal points on the lumens though.

It claimed to be fully charged when I got it (going by the status LEDs anyway); it got my phone up to 60% from 5% before crapping out, but I'm sure it's been on a shelf for awhile. It's been charging for about 4 hours from a 2 amp charger, and still isn't fully charged. :stare:

Charged it last night. My phone was down to 20% when I got home tonight, plugged my phone into it. Phone is now at 81% 84%, and the battery pack still shows 3/4 1/2 of a charge. I'm.. really surprised. Downside is my phone sees it as USB, so the phone will only pull 500mA without a new kernel (the pack claims to be able to put out 1 amp). For :10bux: I'm not complaining though. I'll eventually get a nice beefy Anker pack.

I found the data sheet for it. It shows that the lanyard attachment is where you plug in a micro USB cable to charge it. :laffo:

e: VVVV Anker is good stuff, this just happened to be one of those "oh hey, it's dirt cheap and I'm already here" impulse buys. Even the data sheet on the manufacturer's website claims 2300 lumens though. And it's a US-based company...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 17, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have the first Anker 10,000 mAh batteries, still going strong through an Ingress addiction, and then multiple national guard field activities, and being homeless for a week. I love that thing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tusen Takk posted:

I think part of it was because paying interest on school loans and part of it was because my wife never changed her W4 from single to married.

Also I don't mind giving the government an interest free loan, it's an easy way to save money every year without thinking about it and not having to stress out about potentially owing them. Also, it's not like whatever interest I would gain at Chase is much better, and unless something awful happens the government isn't going to not be able to pay back the loan anytime soon, but to each his own :shrug:

Yeah, my student loan interest pushed me to nearly $1k back this year as well.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bovril Delight posted:

You need to adjust your withholding because giving the Feds a 5k interest free loan is nuts

If you have it in an interest bearing checking account or savings account, you're not getting any more than zero, so really that's not much of a concern anymore.

Actually if you have it in CDs, you're in approximately the same shape. Bonds are going to give you slightly more than zero, so what he's doing is nuts, why don't you tell us where you put your money to see yield right now?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Great Beer posted:

Hello fellow knoxgoon! I'd never seen thunder snow before tonight. Was pretty cool. I went ice sledding with my roommate and only hurt myself a little!
My bed was calling so I missed the show but I think my brother got video. Are you iced in or are you in one of the areas that got cleaned up and is driveable? It doesn't even look like the DOT trucks have made it into the neighborhood and the ice melt we put down only helped with the first few hours of crap yesterday. I'm going to clear the cars off today and see how frozen shut the doors are but I'm not going anywhere.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's the second mutt in four months I've found wandering around.
Random dogs running around is so common here no one would think of taking it into the vet or anything. I keep a bowl of water out for them, especially in the summer, but they just kind of roam around and no one cares.

Adiabatic posted:

Spintires OWNS

-Adiabatic, 3am on a worknight
Hmm I might have to fire that up and see if I can make any progress at all today.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Weird. This gas station has 87, 88, 89, 92 and 93 Octane.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

meatpimp posted:

why don't you tell us where you put your money to see yield right now?

Not going to claim being investment savvy, but my funds are up 15.49% since jan 1st and up 98.06% in the last 12 months.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

meatpimp posted:

If you have it in an interest bearing checking account or savings account, you're not getting any more than zero, so really that's not much of a concern anymore.

Actually if you have it in CDs, you're in approximately the same shape. Bonds are going to give you slightly more than zero, so what he's doing is nuts, why don't you tell us where you put your money to see yield right now?

You can get .90% in a savings account, which is far better than 0.

Edit: you can actually get 1.25% right now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 17, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
1.25% hardly keeps up (if at all) with inflation.

We have been turned into a society of spenders, not savers. Pathetic.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

1.25% hardly keeps up (if at all) with inflation.

We have been turned into a society of spenders, not savers. Pathetic.

Yeah long gone are the awesome rates. I had an account with Dow Chemical Credit Union and it had great rates back in the day.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

Root canal 3 of five gently caress my life

Kinda late but I hate root canals so much. My first one went OK, but then my second with a different dentist was extremely painful. I decided if I need any work like that again, if you can't see the tooth when I smile it's getting pulled!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kastein posted:

just walk in and start yelling
WAT MAKE MODEL YEAR? :downs:
DOES IT HAVE AIR CONDITIONING? :downs:
4 WHEEL DRIVE? :downs:

So far most of the people who had applied for the same position as me failed to complete a simple test where you were given 2 "part numbers" and told to see if they matched or not in the 3 minutes given. No wonder they all have to ask these questions to pull up the part number and still give you the wrong part. :gonk:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Through work I have the opportunity to buy stocks on a pretty big discount, but I don't want to invest money when I need to focus on paying bills and keeping an emergency fund (right now we can save maybe $200/month since everything is so tight).

The only way I know of to make good interest is 5-10 year mutual funds, which is something I'd like to do in the future, but I can't tie up the minimum $5000 in on right now when investing is the last step.

So an easy savings method for me and an interest free loan for Obama, God bless America :911:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

My bed was calling so I missed the show but I think my brother got video. Are you iced in or are you in one of the areas that got cleaned up and is driveable? It doesn't even look like the DOT trucks have made it into the neighborhood and the ice melt we put down only helped with the first few hours of crap yesterday. I'm going to clear the cars off today and see how frozen shut the doors are but I'm not going anywhere.

I was iced in last night but most of it seems to have melted now. The only road to my house is a twisty road through a mountain though so it's probably still got some frozen areas. With how badly my rx8 handled the snow last year I'm a little afraid to drive anywhere.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Great Beer posted:

I was iced in last night but most of it seems to have melted now. The only road to my house is a twisty road through a mountain though so it's probably still got some frozen areas. With how badly my rx8 handled the snow last year I'm a little afraid to drive anywhere.

Lost power last night and every 30 minutes a branch fell. Half expected a tree to fall on my house

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I do actually, we're attending an awards banquet Saturday (also my birthday!) where my girlfriend is up for an award for work. She invited her father who for the first time in 5 years decided he actually wants to be a part of her life.

So he's getting stabbed.

Anyone I've ever known that lets their estranged family members back into their lives ends up regretting it after it goes horribly wrong.

There's a reason it happened and nine times out of ten it's better to just leave it the way it is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

leica posted:

Anyone I've ever known that lets their estranged family members back into their lives ends up regretting it after it goes horribly wrong.

There's a reason it happened and nine times out of ten it's better to just leave it the way it is.

My wife never met her father, despite him trying to reach out to her when she graduated High School. She keeps him at a distance and really is not interested in meeting him for this exact reason.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This is what I woke up to. Bitch to scrape off the cars. Propane torch worked great for melting around the doors so I could get in. Still not going anywhere but I can get in vehicles and drive if needed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

leica posted:

My aunt wrote a particularly nasty letter to everyone in the family when I was young then ten years later decided she wants to reestablish contact. Almost every major family event she's at ends with her sulking/throwing a tantrum and leaving early. Turns up at the next one without fail and pretends like nothing happened.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
About once a year I have a moment or two where I get along with my sister. Usually something happens and then we go back to not speaking. Longest we've ever gotten along was about 6 months.

There's a reason why most of my friends didn't know she existed for years.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

We figured out why I'm getting hosed on mine. Back in 2012 I worked my bar job 6 days over a three month period before quitting for good. I never got my W2 and forgot to put it on my taxes the next year. The IRS is pissed and I'm getting a fuckload of penalties over it.

You just explained it, you don't get out of trouble because you didn't bug your previous employer for a W2.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Great Beer posted:

I was iced in last night but most of it seems to have melted now.

So apparently what I thought was slush and cleared concrete was actually slush from last night that has frozen solid with the occasional patch of black ice. Looks like I'm stuck in here until at least Thursday.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

Also if anyone is in Seattle I'm happy to take you out in it.

Goon meet at Carkeek Park?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Bad spot, no way anyone should drive more than 15mph there.

Dicks on holman over to sunset park and down to shilshole?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Maksimus54 posted:

Goon meet at Carkeek Park?

I live over in North Beach which is like...a stone's throw away.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I grew up in North Beach, if you ever need someone to come over and drool on your car I'm available! We did a PACNW AI meet at Dicks before and the route BraveUlysses has far fewer speed bumps

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

This is why I don't have an office job. 2nd day in a row at the shop marking up blueprints and I wanna blow my brains out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Also if anyone is in Seattle I'm happy to take you out in it.

I am in Seattle. :D

PS gratz on the beautiful new ride.

• Locked thread