Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lysidas posted:

i remember reading about a researcher who developed a proof of concept firmware hack for western digital (iirc) hard drives, that was some really neat/scary stuff and i have his example code saved somewhere

sprite_tm

I know him a little, all around awesome dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I knew all of this was theoretically possible and if anyone had the resources to develop it it would be :nsa: but to see proof is pretty amazing.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i just assume if it's more complex than a rock it has a processor and firmware updates and can be exploited

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

how do you know if your seagate is infected?
it doesnt die after 2 years :v:

lmao

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i just assume if it's more complex than a rock it has a processor and firmware updates and can be exploited

same

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bhodi posted:

That article is amazing. Some of that is scary CSI, next-level poo poo.

* A bootkit that injects code into the MBR and kernel at start
* Firmware flashing that works on all major brands of hard drives and creates a basically undetectable partition
* Sophisticated air gap spanning via thumbdrive with stored-commands and sniffer software
* An encrypted Virtual file system that lives solely in registry entries hidden away in bits of the registry
* Encapsulated modules, each with different encryption keys stored on the VFS

* BadBIOS

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
that's some :nsa: poo poo right there holy piss

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

* BadUSB

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
*BadPOST

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

its u

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

you've just been infected

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
* BadLightning

I want to see more of these hardware hacks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

you've just been infected

gives a whole new meaning to getting fishmeched

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

welp *ahhh* I'm spent

fuckin amazing

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

I wonder if TAO gets bored of waiting for a shipment to intercept and just pretends to be a hardware manufacturer, sends them a really nice vdieo card

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

BadPOST

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
everyone stop what youre doing

the virus is literally called Fanny

FANNY

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
:yosfanny:

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Ch3eXvJkw

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
a worm.
a FANNY worm.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
a fanny shortcut exploit

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Wired posted:

The vast majority of Fanny infections detected so far are in Pakistan.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

i work for a hdd company i wonder if anything cool or new is going to come of this

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

besides my job being gone in 3 years hahahahahaha

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

FCKGW posted:

i work for a hdd company i wonder if anything cool or new is going to come of this

A physical write protect switch for the heads and firmware :v::v:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

2006: nobody makes write protect switches on usb sticks anymore
2016: nobody makes hard drives without them

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
when's memristor tech coming

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
fany computer

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

there's really a couple situations where forcibly disabling write heads would be useful

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

there's really a couple situations where forcibly disabling write heads would be useful

forensics? but they already have write blockers for that

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

i can't say much but one of our hard drives is showing some peculiar physical abnormalities to the heads over time. our firmware group is issuing a firmware update to correct this problem. i'll leave it up to you imagination as to how that works.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

yeah. it's not like some people like myself don't use them for legal reasons

https://www.guidancesoftware.com/products/Pages/tableau/products/forensic-bridges/t35es-r2.aspx

i use these pretty frequently because of this problem

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

FCKGW posted:

i can't say much but one of our hard drives is showing some peculiar physical abnormalities to the heads over time. our firmware group is issuing a firmware update to correct this problem. i'll leave it up to you imagination as to how that works.

don't cpus have that whole microcode update thing provided by the OS? there's also evidence they are signed updates too.

i'm guessing that's really only rolled out on the factory line and to people having issues but really want to save a few bucks and keep the drive they're running.

i don't think hard drives have such a thing but i wouldn't be surprised if hard drive firmwares start becoming signed pieces of software as well with updates handled by the os vendor. that's the change i foresee. has apple ever rolled out a ssd firmware update or have they not reached that point?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

FCKGW posted:

i know you can't possibly confirm or deny this but i'm going to assume your firmware makes the head thrash around in a way that fixes the abnormality because that's the funniest scenario i can imagine

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
fanny means vag in the uk xD lol

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
mods change name to fanny.bmp

Jewel
May 2, 2009

i mean ok get this, what if i send my private key (to someone to communicate with later) in 20 chunks of single characters via 20 different lovely disposable email services (alternatively for extra security using different computers at n different libraries or w/e)

is that security through obscurity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

Redirects that sent iPhone users to unique exploit Web pages. In addition, infected machines reporting to Equation Group command servers identified themselves as Macs, an indication that the group successfully compromised both iOS and OS X devices.

• Locked thread