Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Ti is not clearly superior to aluminum in every away. It's much lighter, but not as good at actually cooking.

So if all you do is boil water, you're golden, but if you're trying to fry an egg or do pancakes or make a stir-fry you're going to have hot spots and probably burn/undercook your food.

Edit: also, everyone in this thread continues to be weight weenies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Speleothing posted:

Ti is not clearly superior to aluminum in every away. It's much lighter, but not as good at actually cooking.

So if all you do is boil water, you're golden, but if you're trying to fry an egg or do pancakes or make a stir-fry you're going to have hot spots and probably burn/undercook your food.

Ain't nothin' wrong with that. Hike/Backpack in whatever way makes you happy. If you want to carry a bunch of stuff and have elaborate dinners or comfy camp amenities, great! Or if you just dont' want to spend the money for lighter gear, great! Important thing is to get out there and enjoy yourself, not what gear you carry or how you carry it.

If you've got the money and inclination to get lighter gear, also great, and for some people it can help them continue to backpack as they get older or work around/avoid health problems that might keep them from otherwise getting outside (leg problems, etc).

Doesn't matter if your pack is 20lbs or 60lbs if you're getting out there and enjoying it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Flick lock poles are widely preferred over the twist locking kind. Shock absorbers a usually not worth the weight/cost.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Speleothing posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing :psyduck:

Officer Sandvich posted:

When I've used trekking poles in the past I've just borrowed from friends but I'm doing some trips alone and need a pair of my own. Search isn't working for me right now, but there's been advice here about which kind of lock on adjustable poles to avoid. So I'm interested in that and any general advice on what to look for.
If you need them to be adjustable, get flick-lock, not twist lock, and avoid shock absorbers. If you don't need them to be adjustable, fixed length poles feel amazing.

In actual backpacking talk, it has been unseasonably warm this weekend in Colorado (thanks Obama), so I went out to the Lost Creek Wilderness for an overnighter. It was pretty fun to have to figure out the trail since I was the first person on it since it had snowed, but the cold at night reminded me of why I generally don't do overnighters during winter.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Oh I agree, it's just funny to read people agonize over three ounces.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

I went out for a hike in the Cairngorm Mountains in Scotland last weekend and it was pretty great. Wind speed was pretty crazy at times, but I snapped a photo I am really happy with, even if it isn't the greatest.

A friend of mine cheaped out on his backpack (despite my warning against the idea) and it was pretty disastrous. He paid around $30 and after about 15 miles one of the straps just ripped right off. Fortunately we had some duct tape and jury-rigged his backpack which made him look a bit like a travelling hobo. I guess if anyone is thinking of cheaping out on equipment they should think again.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Speleothing posted:

yeah but if you agonize over 3 ounces enough times then suddenly you've saved a couple of pounds :) (and blown a poo poo ton of money)

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Speleothing posted:

fat shame all packlists

I get what you're saying, and from a setup that's already pretty well dialed in, you are absolutely correct that a few ounces don't matter. The issue is when people are buying a set of new gear and start saying "oh it's only a few extra ounces on this piece of gear, and this one, and this one, and hey a ka-bar is multiuse, I'll bring that" and soon you're up to several extra pounds if you're not careful, and we want to steer them away from going down that road.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Dravinski posted:

I guess if anyone is thinking of cheaping out on equipment they should think again.

Cheap can be good to an extent.

I bought my alice pack when I was still in the service nearly a decade ago (why wear issued non-matching camo and those first gen molle packs sucked fat cock, always breaking). It's been through hell and its outdated design doesn't lend specifically to comfort, but it's durable as hell and still in great shape. Being 6' tall and 200lbs, I'm a big enough guy that the extra weight is fine.

Got to be the right kind of cheap.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Discomancer posted:

In actual backpacking talk, it has been unseasonably warm this weekend in Colorado (thanks Obama), so I went out to the Lost Creek Wilderness for an overnighter. It was pretty fun to have to figure out the trail since I was the first person on it since it had snowed, but the cold at night reminded me of why I generally don't do overnighters during winter.

Idaho has also been outrageously warm for February. I'll be taking stock of the snow levels to see if I can knock out the last couple of 12,000ers before June.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
The real reason I want all my hiking gear ultralight is so I can justify carrying a good sized external battery that'll recharge a smart phone / kindle a dozen or more times between power outlet stops.... and a decent USB chargeable weatherproof Bluetooth speaker as well. Those three items are useless weight in a lot of ways, but infinite entertainment/uses when needed/used

Anyone ever use an electric portable showering system on hikes? I'm thinking of trying it out since I like before bed showers and not smelling of rear end. Ivation Battery-Powered Handheld Portable Shower - Turns Water From Bucket/Basin/Sink Into... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IFHFJXI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_a0J4ub1WXZ7V6

1.8 pounds, but quick showers behind some privacy tarps (warm water even if I choose too I guess) before bed after a long day hike sounds awesome,

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

you don't need to lug an iphone and a loving electric shower along with you when you go backpacking, ugh

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Do you hike the AT/PCT every year or something? Even then you usually have to go into town to get food so you can recharge in town, why do you need a huge battery to recharge your phone 12 times? Legit curious because your stated goals seem to be out of the norm for the majority of people who backpack etc (at least in this thread)

I take my phone with me because I use it to take pictures and it's lighter than a camera, but it's basically airplane mode on all the time and maybe I use it to read a bit too

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Why not just use a bladder style shower? Its cheaper, easier, smaller, lighter, doesn't require a bucket of water or battery power.

Literally fill it with water, set it in the sun or add warm water to it. Hang it up and rinse off.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 16, 2015

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

The real reason I want all my hiking gear ultralight is so I can justify carrying a good sized external battery that'll recharge a smart phone / kindle a dozen or more times between power outlet stops.... and a decent USB chargeable weatherproof Bluetooth speaker as well. Those three items are useless weight in a lot of ways, but infinite entertainment/uses when needed/used

:stare:

Well.

I guess different people are looking for different things out of backpacking.

But, still.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

But quick showers behind some privacy tarps (warm water even if I choose too I guess) before bed after a long day hike sounds awesome,

You know, 1.8lb+the weight of the tarps all day vs. a few minutes of lukewarm water doesn't make a good cost/benefit. On a 6 day hike we hadn't seen a shower for 4 days. A freezing cold lake in the Yukon all of a sudden seemed great and someone had brought some natural environmentally friendly soap. We felt fantastic after that.

But do you think that I wanted a 1.8lb motor with me for all 5 days for that just moment? Nope.

As for batteries... I'm more understanding but still, think weight vs. benefit. If you can loose the bluetooth part, I sometimes take this speaker, but rarely use it: http://x-mini.com/product/x-mini-ii-capsule-speaker

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
please don't hike with speakers

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Officer Sandvich posted:

This.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Only bring speakers if you're a weird European guy blasting Native American chants while you power up the side of the mountain.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ not quite the intent, I think. But definitely a better option than the banjo music no one ever wants to hear in the woods.

Officer Sandvich posted:

I was waiting for you guys to tell him that. That bluetooth speaker is heavy enough to hammer down tent stakes.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Hahaha yesssssssssssssssss.

Goons horrified of weight to get a shower setup going when base weight is in the teens haha. loving :lol:, I like those Coleman solar shower setups that you can just fill and hang as well.. I used to use this sorta setup on hunting trips: Coleman 5-Gallon PVC Camp Shower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PUT20/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_fUN4ub0H29E63
It's only 1/2 the weight, but like I said I'm deep in the teens on pack weight already, my pack out includes a large lightweight collapsible bucket I can fill with hot water, and for some retarded seeming luxury I'm hauling a little extra weight and bathing on the trail, every few days, if not every day. As far as the electric shower goes It's gadgety looking as gently caress, so I'm super wary on it, trust me it'd have to be a lightening sale / test piece but I like that it filters and that the pump is USB rechargeable. Odds are its a heavy hunk of poo poo, but sometimes there's diamonds in the rough.

I dunno, it's mostly a :350:highdea:350: on the electric shower thing, but I'm definitely getting either a shower attachment for my water bladder, or just a solar shower bag. Showering regularly is :cool: and stank is not, though understandable and mostly tolerable for folks. I just like the added luxury of a shower. ;)

Lots of folks wear stank like their badge of honor when hiking, just not my thing.

Bluetooth speaker was kind of a joke, I do need good headphones though and I hate earbuds with a passion. How else will I listen to my 9/11 conspiracy podcasts on the AT? And with a speaker we can all realize that jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough to melt steel girders.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

/\ not quite the intent, I think. But definitely a better option than the banjo music no one ever wants to hear in the woods.

I was waiting for you guys to tell him that. That bluetooth speaker is heavy enough to hammer down tent stakes.

Haha not that heavy rear end Bose speaker man. They have some waterproof lightweight marine speakers that are pretty good. You know me l.. IDGAF about ruining the serenity of nature with podcasts and music, but I think headphones are gonna be best just because I'm cheap and they're light.. But then nobody else can listen to weird euro pop electronica with me mashed up against coast to coast on the AM frequencies. ;)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I dunno man I just wash off in a freezing cold lake, it's part of the experience.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Speleothing posted:

I bought a Ti poop shovel to save 2 ounces. But then again, I am planning on hiking the PCT this year. Got my permit the other day and I'm putting in notice at work on March 1. This next 45 days is going to feel so loving long.

Gear list for those interested

Tigren fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 17, 2015

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

You're taking an umbrella?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hahaha yesssssssssssssssss.

Goons horrified of weight to get a shower setup going when base weight is in the teens haha. loving :lol:, I like those Coleman solar shower setups that you can just fill and hang as well.. I used to use this sorta setup on hunting trips: Coleman 5-Gallon PVC Camp Shower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PUT20/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_fUN4ub0H29E63
It's only 1/2 the weight, but like I said I'm deep in the teens on pack weight already, my pack out includes a large lightweight collapsible bucket I can fill with hot water, and for some retarded seeming luxury I'm hauling a little extra weight and bathing on the trail, every few days, if not every day. As far as the electric shower goes It's gadgety looking as gently caress, so I'm super wary on it, trust me it'd have to be a lightening sale / test piece but I like that it filters and that the pump is USB rechargeable. Odds are its a heavy hunk of poo poo, but sometimes there's diamonds in the rough.

I dunno, it's mostly a :350:highdea:350: on the electric shower thing, but I'm definitely getting either a shower attachment for my water bladder, or just a solar shower bag. Showering regularly is :cool: and stank is not, though understandable and mostly tolerable for folks. I just like the added luxury of a shower. ;)

Lots of folks wear stank like their badge of honor when hiking, just not my thing.

Bluetooth speaker was kind of a joke, I do need good headphones though and I hate earbuds with a passion. How else will I listen to my 9/11 conspiracy podcasts on the AT? And with a speaker we can all realize that jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough to melt steel girders.

http://youtu.be/dTstgW3wRbA

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

You're taking an umbrella?

Presumably for the sun protection.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

dedian posted:

Presumably for the sun protection.

Precisely. Hiking 20 miles a day in near 100 degree weather with little to no tree cover in the Mojave Desert is miserable. Not to mention it can be used in the rain as well as a nice sign for hitchhiking.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK6uQZFznMA

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tigren posted:

I bought a Ti poop shovel to save 2 ounces. But then again, I am planning on hiking the PCT this year. Got my permit the other day and I'm putting in notice at work on March 1. This next 45 days is going to feel so loving long.

Im jealous, Gods speed lucky goon hiker….

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Re: Bathing. Lots of wilderness areas have a rule against using soap (regardless of whether or not it's environmentally friendly) in lakes/rivers. You're supposed to gather the water and go at least 100 ft away from standing water to use soap. Even green, eco-safe soaps still disrupt the aquatic plants and habitat, and as someone walking up to a shore line that's recently been used as a bath, it's not much fun to see other people's suds instead of pristine landscape. Also, it's gross when you need to get some drinking water and there's soap in the water.

It's really not hard to dip yourself in the lake, take a container of water with you, walk 100 ft, and scrub and rinse down.

We usually go about a week before we decide to bathe with soap. If we get really sweaty or gross in between, we take a swim, use our cooking pot to pour water over ourselves, or we just do a quick pits and bits wash. Being dirty is part of the experience.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
http://nhpr.org/post/new-york-hiker-found-dead-white-mountains

Sometime died in the Presidential Range in the Whites yesterday while doing a hike. This is a pretty common hike in the summer and I've attempted it a few times in the winter, but always turned back due to high winds. Even when it's single digits, the windchill brings it down to negative temperatures easily. I don't know what would have convinced her it was alright to continue beyond the tree line solo without a partner in conditions where most of the time you can just barely be standing.

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

Suicide Watch posted:

Sometime died in the Presidential Range in the Whites yesterday while doing a hike. This is a pretty common hike in the summer and I've attempted it a few times in the winter, but always turned back due to high winds. Even when it's single digits, the windchill brings it down to negative temperatures easily. I don't know what would have convinced her it was alright to continue beyond the tree line solo without a partner in conditions where most of the time you can just barely be standing.

Interesting that she had a beacon, and activated it with a legitimate reason (as opposed to the people who carry one and activate it for a helicopter ride home because they're tired). Just goes to show they aren't a magical life saving device, and you still need to carry enough to look after yourself while waiting for a rescue. All the beacons in the world aren't going to help a helicopter fly better in whiteout conditions :( .

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Packing day hike supplies and not looking at the forecast is p up there for irresponsible behavior.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

There's been forecasts up here for the past week or so predicting another storm overnight this past Saturday into Sunday (which did happen). It's been very hard to escape the forecasts in general lately with all the lovely weather we've been getting, and not just in terms of hiking conditions. Going through with any hike with that on the horizon, let alone a Presidential hike, demonstrates a complete lack of forethought.

On a tangentially related note I just started reading "Not Without Peril" by Nicholas Howe... the first person to complete a Washington summit in winter was, not coincidentally, the first person recorded in western history to die up in the Whites.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Tigren posted:

Truly jealous. Should be an awesome trip. How often does that trail go through cities/towns, are you ever going to be out 6-7 days by yourself before hitting a resupply?

Bath talk. I was always taught that even with "green" or bio-degradable soap that you're supposed to pack out some water in a bucket and be 200 yards from a water source (lake, stream, etc) just to avoid ground water contamination. Between that, wool clothing, and baby wipes to clean up at night I've always been able to keep the stink down to manageable levels.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah I usually will jump in a lake and rinse off but any soaping is done away from the water. I'll rinse off every day if I can and like to rinse out some of my clothing

re: that hiker in the whites, I can't imagine why someone would choose the past couple of days here to go hiking up there without being prepared and ready to turn back. The weather has just been terribly cold with storms moving in.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Truly jealous. Should be an awesome trip. How often does that trail go through cities/towns, are you ever going to be out 6-7 days by yourself before hitting a resupply?

Bath talk. I was always taught that even with "green" or bio-degradable soap that you're supposed to pack out some water in a bucket and be 200 yards from a water source (lake, stream, etc) just to avoid ground water contamination. Between that, wool clothing, and baby wipes to clean up at night I've always been able to keep the stink down to manageable levels.

Depending on our hiking speed, 6-7 days should be about the maximum time between resupplies. Typically, it should be more like 3-5 days.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Tigren:
Is the desert portion of stuff during a period where you could see much rain / very cold temps? You might consider not carrying some of that rain gear and some of those insulation layers early in the trip and have it mailed to you. You might also consider a light ~40 degree bag starting out if conditions permit. I'd probably not bother with a battery - if you use your phone as a camera, just turn it off and on or whatever. I also don't see any soap or babywipes - something to consider. What's your food plan? My personal theory with jetboils is to never put anything but water in them. You don't mention carrying extra fuel in your list. You also mention duct tape, but you should consider carrying some plastic zip ties since I find them very useful and perhaps a few feet of wire. You also don't have any sort of paracord/small diameter rope listed, that's pretty useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Suicide Watch posted:

I'm willing to hike in the cold, but if the winds are too high I won't go above treeline. I hiked Mt. Carrigain, NH with some friends on Saturday. It was cold (highs ~7ºF), but the wind wasn't a factor while we were on the mountain. The sketchiest part of the whole day was the drive back to Boston that evening. I93 was basically covered with packed snow between Concord, NH and Boston, and this was before the brunt of the storm hit. I can't imagine why anyone would have gone out on Sunday.

From the news coverage and her Facebook account, at first glance she seemed to have had some mountaineering experience (Elbrus & Kilimanjaro). Perhaps she underestimated the hike because of the relatively low elevations. It sounds like she was planning a single day traverse of the Northern Presidentials (Madison, Adams, Jefferson, and Washington). I'm not sure what her planned route down Washington was, but getting to the summit from the main trailhead for Madison & Adams is about 11 miles, and 7500' of elevation gain. If she was planning on descending via the Jewell trail, she would have been planning a 16 mile day. The reports say that her husband dropped her off at the trailhead at 5:00 AM, and she activated her beacon at 3:30 PM. Her body was reportedly recovered near Star Lake, which is in the col between Madison and Adams.

I wonder why she didn't turn back sooner given her pace, especially since she was probably slowed by the fresh snow that had fallen the night before. Assuming that she had summited Madison, she had only covered about 5 miles only 1 mile of which was above treeline (with 6 more miles to Washington). Maybe she'd summited Adams as well, and was trying to retreat. If she was found near Star Lake, she would have been less than half a mile over flat terrain to the Valley Way trail, which quickly gets you into the relative shelter of the trees, from there it's less than 4 miles to the trailhead. Maybe she was disoriented, maybe she was injured. Of course this is all speculation.

The conditions were brutal Sunday night/Monday morning. The Mount Washington Observatory recored a temperature of -35ºF, with wind chills around -90ºF, and maximum gust of 141 mph, with sustained winds of 100 mph. There's video of the S&R, at around 0:20 you can see two people get blown off of their feet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4u6VyrgCk