Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

large hands posted:

Pretty sure they were talking about the big Teflon wok with the steamed fish in it right above the picture of the ceramic pot.

oh. welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Can anyone recommend me a Sheng Jian Bao recipe that will result in some mouth scalding soupy goodness? I want to make a dozen or so with home made wrappers and will make a dozen or so with wop biscuits as well. More concerned about getting that soup though. I mainly don't know how to render gelatin at all, much less a short period of time.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 14, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Amergin posted:

If you're ever in LA and you want either biang biang mian or even better (IMHO), you po mian, as well as probably the best rou jia mou in the US, you need to check out Xi'an Kitchen.

My wife tells me they're the best, most authentic Xi'an food she has ever had outside of Shaanxi, including Xi'an food she's had around China (from Kunming to Beijing). They are drat good and drat cheap, especially for LA.

EDIT: I haven't tried the Xi'an place getting all the buzz in NYC but I seriously doubt they can topple Xi'an Kitchen.

I think it's got a lot to do with the novelty of it, but it's so simple and so singular that the adulation is deserved. I'd love to hit up this Xi'an Kitchen place, though.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Does anyone know a good source for good big conpoy / dried scallops from hong kong?

I have been getting nostalgic about my time in the Far East and have a craving for them.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Can anyone recommend me a Sheng Jian Bao recipe that will result in some mouth scalding soupy goodness? I want to make a dozen or so with home made wrappers and will make a dozen or so with wop biscuits as well. More concerned about getting that soup though. I mainly don't know how to render gelatin at all, much less a short period of time.

Gave it a shot. Cheated and used whop biscuit dough, which burned way too quickly and didn't steam properly. Meat mince wasn't sweet enough nor did it have a good texture. After adding the gelatin and stirring over and over it ended up being a meat slurry. Gonna ask my wife's aunt what her jiaozi filling and maybe use that, otherwise add some water chestnuts and more green onion to the mix.

First go was a failure. Even though I had the added gelatin they were not juicy in the slightest.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I accidentally bought pork intestines. What the hell do I do with this, besides stuffing them?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Cong.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just had my first box of cold noodles here in Taiwan.

Noodles, cucumber, bean sprouts, and a bag of magic sauce.

GOOD GOD, HOW DO I MAKE THIS MOUTH MAGIC WHEN I RETURN TO KANSAS?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

toplitzin posted:

I'm not a food-scientist, but I assume you would mix noodles, cucumber, bean sprouts, and some sort of magic sauce. :v:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

toplitzin posted:

actually, you should google around and find a recipe that sounds like what you just ate

this seems like a good one, although I think I'd add some chili oil to it, probably

http://www.eatingchina.com/recipes/cold-noodles.htm

was it anything like that?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Jeoh posted:

I accidentally bought pork intestines. What the hell do I do with this, besides stuffing them?

Large or small? Deep fry if large.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

bamhand posted:

Large or small? Deep fry if large.

Small

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

paraquat posted:

actually, you should google around and find a recipe that sounds like what you just ate

this seems like a good one, although I think I'd add some chili oil to it, probably

http://www.eatingchina.com/recipes/cold-noodles.htm

was it anything like that?

I think that's probably close.

They're called 涼麵 if that helps at all

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like mixing the black rice vinegar, black bean sauce, soy sauce, minced garlic, and Angry grandmother in oil, frying for a bit, and then mixing with noodles.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I finally picked up some Lao Gan Ma spicy chili crisp, and am unsure of what to do with it next. I tried a little bit on some white rice just to get a sense of the flavor, and can just describe it as kinda nutty, kinda hot, kinda odd.

Recommend something specific to try it on?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Everything.

That's not a joke.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I use it when I improv fried rice. Toss the rice in, cook it for a few minutes, add the meat & veg, cook it for a few minutes, add a healthy glob of the chili crisp sauce, some soy sauce, and optionally some oyster sauce, cook for a minute, and finish with a little egg. Yum.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Jeoh posted:

Everything.

That's not a joke.

Seriously. I roast butternut squash in it, fry eggs with it, use it with rice and beans, fried rice, what have you. Tomorrow I'll throw some in leftover pho. Put it on everything.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In 20 years lao gan ma will be like sriracha today. They might even have to open a factory of in california to keep up with american demand.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Too much eating. I'm going to die. My stomach can be turned into Haggis

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Karia posted:

Seriously. I roast butternut squash in it, fry eggs with it, use it with rice and beans, fried rice, what have you. Tomorrow I'll throw some in leftover pho. Put it on everything.

Had some on rice tonight, not bad. Made husband try it - he doesn't like it.

Sever?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Anyone have a recommended fried rice recipe? I gather that it's a pretty personal thing. Tonight I did egg, chives, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and it came out decently.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Anyone have a recommended fried rice recipe? I gather that it's a pretty personal thing. Tonight I did egg, chives, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and it came out decently.
Fried rice is the people's dish, so just throw whatever you have.

Sausage is a good addition, but don't feel constrained by Chinese sausages. I've done it with kielbasa and andouille and it's great. I am religious about my light soy (PRB forever, unless I just went to the heathen grocery that doesn't carry PRB), chili garlic paste, Lao Gan Ma, and frozen peas and carrots (I'm a loving American). I imagine that a splash of oyster sauce in the egg is a pro-move, but I do that in French omelettes.

Chinese sausage, by the way, is questionable on pizza.

EVG posted:

Had some on rice tonight, not bad. Made husband try it - he doesn't like it.

Sever?
I suggest a Voight-Kampff test.

This stuff is loving magical and I will make dan dan mian, mapo tofu, and even just basic loving stir fries with it instead of the traditional ingredients. God came down from heaven and blessed us with Angry Lady Sauce, and we should be thankful.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 19, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Fried rice is more of a fridge clearing recipe. Use cold left over rice from the night before. I guess the most generic fried rice is Yang Zhou Fried Rice. The generic greasy diner version is:

Dice everything

Pork*, eggs, carrots, peas**, spring onions.

* Pork in this case may be left over char siu, or diced spam. Spam is good
** I don't like peas so I substituted with chives

One time I even dumped left over salsa on top of my left-left over fried rice :ohdear:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Everything above about Fried Rice is correct - but when I had a craving specifically for spicy thai basil fried rice, I tried this recipe at random:
http://www.food.com/recipe/thai-spicy-basil-fried-rice-473225

Ignore the BS about "olive oil cooking spray" and "egg substitute" and just use cooking oil and eggs (cook into a omelette, cut up, stir fry in, or just scramble it in the pan). You can find thai basil at your local Asian grocer normally - it's got a purple tinge to it, and is like $2 for a gigantic bunch. It comes out great and has made it into my regular rotation. I also never bother adding cilantro, and use chicken. Plus, add bean sprouts because they're great in fried rice.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Gave it a shot. Cheated and used whop biscuit dough, which burned way too quickly and didn't steam properly. Meat mince wasn't sweet enough nor did it have a good texture. After adding the gelatin and stirring over and over it ended up being a meat slurry. Gonna ask my wife's aunt what her jiaozi filling and maybe use that, otherwise add some water chestnuts and more green onion to the mix.

First go was a failure. Even though I had the added gelatin they were not juicy in the slightest.

Biscuit dough is a lot different from dumpling dough so you're just not going to be able to cheat there. Also you're adding the gelatin to the meat mixture itself? That sounds like where you're going amiss. First, you want a gelatin rich broth that solidifies. So you need to make your broth separately. Lots of bones will get you a gelatin rich broth that will set. You can shortcut by adding packet gelatin to your broth but just remember that a lot of the flavor is coming from your nice broth so you should still start with a good broth and only add gelatin if you really need to. Remember to add cold broth to the gelatin to allow it to bloom before mixing it into hot broth to dissolve compeltely. Then you need to let it actually set into broth jello. From there you can either wrap your dumplings with the meat mixture plus a couple little cubes of broth or some people then loosely mix the gelled broth into the meat mixture to make it a little easier to fill.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

caberham posted:

Fried rice is more of a fridge clearing recipe. Use cold left over rice from the night before. I guess the most generic fried rice is Yang Zhou Fried Rice. The generic greasy diner version is:

Dice everything

Pork*, eggs, carrots, peas**, spring onions.

* Pork in this case may be left over char siu, or diced spam. Spam is good
** I don't like peas so I substituted with chives

One time I even dumped left over salsa on top of my left-left over fried rice :ohdear:

Mother fucker I forgot I had some char siu in the fridge :doh:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone read Chinese?

Bakery lady could only describe this as a sticky rice new years cake

edit: welp image didnt attach

edit2: here we go

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 20, 2015

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Never had it, don't know poo poo about chinese or chinese food but I'm pretty sure that's NIan Gao, based on an article I read yesterday on Yahoo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It does indeed say year cake.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's an extremely sticky, sweet cake made from rice. Kind of like mochi but stickier.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Casu Marzu posted:

Anyone read Chinese?

Bakery lady could only describe this as a sticky rice new years cake

edit: welp image didnt attach

edit2: here we go
Oh that's totally Nian Gao! We had some all the time growing up, and it's super easy to make. drat, I want some.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

It's an extremely sticky, sweet cake made from rice. Kind of like mochi but stickier.

Southerner spotted. It's super savoury anywhere north of Shanghai. Heck they probably dump chilies on it in Hunan.

Oh and Happy New Year everyone

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Yeah that's nian gow and it's pretty much like your baker described. It looks like it might be the Cantonese type. It's great when dipped in egg and fried.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

caberham posted:

Southerner spotted. It's super savoury anywhere north of Shanghai. Heck they probably dump chilies on it in Hunan.

Oh and Happy New Year everyone

I'm mostly northern actually but that definitely is a cake so it's sweet. The savory kind is in slices and stir fried.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I don't know that there is a more exact way to describe that then sticky rice new years cake. It is what it is.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Finally scored some angry lady (it's the crispy/crunchy variety right? Still couldn't find any XO sauce which was odd considering it was a ranch 99 store.

Can I make jook with pre cooked calrose rice?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Sure, just add liquid and keep cooking until it falls apart. That's how they do it in restaurants.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jeoh posted:

Everything.

That's not a joke.

Yep. Chili crisp is probably my favorite condiment other than, I dunno, some kind of relish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

mich posted:

Biscuit dough is a lot different from dumpling dough so you're just not going to be able to cheat there. Also you're adding the gelatin to the meat mixture itself? That sounds like where you're going amiss. First, you want a gelatin rich broth that solidifies. So you need to make your broth separately. Lots of bones will get you a gelatin rich broth that will set. You can shortcut by adding packet gelatin to your broth but just remember that a lot of the flavor is coming from your nice broth so you should still start with a good broth and only add gelatin if you really need to. Remember to add cold broth to the gelatin to allow it to bloom before mixing it into hot broth to dissolve compeltely. Then you need to let it actually set into broth jello. From there you can either wrap your dumplings with the meat mixture plus a couple little cubes of broth or some people then loosely mix the gelled broth into the meat mixture to make it a little easier to fill.

No no, I did the gelatin + broth but didn't let it gel completely, just added the cool mixture to my filling. Came out... I dunno how to explain the texture but it was incredibly smooth and not very appetizing. My aunt said I should add shrimp bits, chestnuts, and maybe chopped cabbage to crunch up the texture.

I used the biscuit dough after seeing a YT vid of a Chinese American family doing the same thing, but yeah, it just didn't work. May try again this weekend.

Buddy of mine is opening his own Chinese restaurant end of next week. We talked about my backup plans of opening a jianbingguozi food stand/truck when I move to Austin if I just get burned out by IT work finally. He did the math and figured the ingredient cost versus the actual cost he could charge for one was just too good to pass up, so he bought a round griddle and we're gonna make some tonight.

We'll do the typical crepe + egg + cilantro + spring onion + sauce build but I'm gonna swing by Whole Foods and pickup some soppressata for one as well.

Call me crazy but I've had some Chinese sausage that easily had the taste and texture of some quality soppressata.