Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
My god has anything in recent memory done more to discredit "the American Left" then the b-list celeb twitter brigade and sanctimonious poo poo posters proudly bleating on about how Chris Kyle and anyone like him deserve to die? What the gently caress kind of progressives do you people think you are?

Amazing how people can start a sentence saying American Sniper wasn't tolerant enough and end it by saying anyone who is moved by or enjoys the movie or has respect for veterans are all ignorant pieces of poo poo. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You seem quite angry about this.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Fangz posted:

You seem quite angry about this.

Maybe a little. The fixation I've seen in some people on despising Chris Kyle for being proud of his service and saying racist poo poo about his enemy and the concern trolling about ISIS fighters is worse than a Breitbart comment chain about Obamacare.

Had friends on Facebook who never even seen the movie quoting lazy headline grabbing tweets from Seth Rogan like he is some intellectual and trotting around 'otherization' like the movie was some neoconservative plot to indoctrinate Americans to supporting genocide.

I just finished rewatching The Pacific where every other line or scene is about killing subhuman savage warrior japs and the hate fear and massive amounts of killing with all the hosed up veterans who survive the experience and get changed for the worse. Where's the liberal moral outrage over those innocent misunderstood imperial Japanese soldiers and the monstrous Marines who wrote memoirs about their service and conditioning to kill?

War is always the same and it's never good. Wasn't that Clint Eastwoods entire point?

In this thread alone people are quoting Chris Kyle justifying to himself all the killing he had to do as some egregious evil thing. Uh you realize it's probably either that or suicide for lots of vets?

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 17, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

Maybe a little. The fixation I've seen in some people on despising Chris Kyle for being proud of his service and saying racist poo poo about his enemy and the concern trolling about ISIS fighters is worse than a Breitbart comment chain about Obamacare.

Had friends on Facebook who never even seen the movie quoting lazy headline grabbing tweets from Seth Rogan like he is some intellectual and trotting around 'otherization' like the movie was some neoconservative plot to indoctrinate Americans to supporting genocide.

I just finished rewatching The Pacific where every other line or scene is about killing subhuman savage warrior japs and the hate fear and massive amounts of killing with all the hosed up veterans who survive the experience and get changed for the worse. Where's the liberal moral outrage over those innocent misunderstood imperial Japanese soldiers and the monstrous Marines who wrote memoirs about their service and conditioning to kill?

War is always the same and it's never good. Wasn't that Clint Eastwoods entire point?

In this thread alone people are quoting Chris Kyle justifying to himself all the killing he had to do as some egregious evil thing. Uh you realize it's probably either that or suicide for lots of vets?

1. Maybe you should address individual people and/or statements instead of a semi-imagined eigen-person that is an amalgam of every claim you ever read that annoyed you, exaggerated to the maximal degree. Discussion on that basis is insulting and annoying. If you are angry with your facebook friends, then go talk to your facebook friends. If you are annoyed with Seth Rogan, then tweet at him.

2. People's complaints about Chris Kyle extends to far far more than "being proud of his service and saying racist poo poo about his enemy". It pertains to his racist (hopefully lying) boasts about murdering dozens of fellow americans, his self-aggrandisement and use of his kill count to defend past and future wars, his abuse of charity money, his harmful and unsound treatments of PTSD sufferers leading to his own death, his statement that he believed rules of engagement allowed him to kill "all Iraqi males between 16 and 65", his direct lies that led to him being in a court case... and in the case of this movie, the whitewashing of all of that to create a manufactured hero so that Texas can have a Chris Kyle day and so that movie studios can make a lot of money.

I do not know if you are ignorant of the arguments here or you are willfully misrepresenting people. Many critics of Chris Kyle do respect veterans, and I would suggest that *not sending them into senseless atrocious wars is the highest respect you can have*. Chris Kyle certainly did not respect fellow veterans that had the temerity to disagree with him about the War on Iraq, see e.g. Jesse Ventura.

3. Chris Kyle never fought ISIS. ISIS did not exist when Kyle left the military in 2009.

4. I haven't seen the Pacific, but as far as I know it is not one of the most successful movies ever and is not nominated for the Oscars.

Copious amounts *have* been written on WWII, in any case, with a lot of criticism of the racism prevalent in that period. Indeed even noted liberal Clint Eastwood directed a film, "Letters from Iwo Jima", portraying the Japanese side of the conflict shown in the Pacific. You may have heard of him?

Of course, that war was in general rather distinct from, say, the conflict in Iraq. If you see no difference between fighting the genocidal IJA, and shooting all males between 16 and 65 in a country you launched an unprovoked attack on and was militarily occupying, then I suppose that's your choice to make.

EDIT: Actually a lot of veterans are anti-war. They don't tend to commit suicide. So no, I don't think believing that killing hundreds of people was fun and the best time of your life is necessary for civilian existence. A generation of people went to Vietnam and afterwards thought it was a horrible mistake, and get shat on by Chris Kyle's fanclub. But hey, Support The Troops.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 17, 2015

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
All these twitter day slacktivists circle jerking over a dead douchey redneck who ran his mouth off all the time like they're any better should probably go to a Veterans Hospital and soapbox there about WMD to the crippled crazy racists who dared to kill in war and tell me how good you feel about bestowing true liberal American virtues to those ignorant simple folk?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

All these twitter day slacktivists circle jerking over a dead douchey redneck who ran his mouth off all the time like they're any better should probably go to a Veterans Hospital and soapbox there about WMD to the crippled crazy racists who dared to kill in war and tell me how good you feel about bestowing true liberal American virtues to those ignorant simple folk?

You are becoming incoherent. You're saying that critics of Chris Kyle and American Sniper should be abusive to injured veterans in hospital? Why? I mean, heck, there was a guy in the thread earlier who was a veteran, should he be mean to himself?

Is this some kind of schoolground argument where I'm supposed to respond, "if you like Chris Kyle so much, go to Iraq and tell the widows and orphans he created how he was the best dude?" You have your aforementioned facebook and twitter friends for that sort of non-sequitir bluster, if you aren't scared of pissing them off.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Most of the posts here are more bigoted, prejudiced, and inhumane than anything in Chris Kyle's memoirs. At least he had the excuse of PTSD for being an rear end in a top hat. Calling him a sociopath for thinking Iraqis were savages is saying the same thing about my Vietnam vet father who is a good man otherwise and God knows how many other veterans of all stripes who were conditioned to kill and hate.

Let alone all the tone deaf bullshit slamming on Southerners or conservatives with different values and cheering Kyle's real life tragic murder trying to find peace with fellow hosed up dudes. Seems like he was trying to help and who knows in ten years maybe he'd be telling the next generation to not send the boys in to die or be maimed or go crazy. We won't know because he's dead but people here read three quotes from a best selling author and think they know a man's soul, and condemn his memory like tumblr gods passing judgement.

The only circle jerk ignorant American propaganda jingoism I've seen about American Sniper is from liberals. The hypocrisy is pathetic

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lol

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Saw it

Thought it was a pretty bad move technically and content wise. The first 40 mins were an endless montage, the longest scene being the girl cheating. My gf is from texas, super right wing, loves america, jesus and her boyfriend too and thought the movie was rear end in both categories and didnt even cry. She crys at loving everything. LOL at the made up sniper guy, the whole he died cause he stopped believing was cringe worthy, and it was just badddddd. It was a pure propaganda piece and it sucked. Eastwood is completely tone deaf.

1/5 would not see again but the rooftop action sequence was pretty cool.

This sums up all that up there nicely

Just lol

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

The hypocrisy is pathetic

Hmm

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Smoothrich posted:

Most of the posts here are more bigoted, prejudiced, and inhumane than anything in Chris Kyle's memoirs. At least he had the excuse of PTSD for being an rear end in a top hat. Calling him a sociopath for thinking Iraqis were savages is saying the same thing about my Vietnam vet father who is a good man otherwise and God knows how many other veterans of all stripes who were conditioned to kill and hate.

Let alone all the tone deaf bullshit slamming on Southerners or conservatives with different values and cheering Kyle's real life tragic murder trying to find peace with fellow hosed up dudes. Seems like he was trying to help and who knows in ten years maybe he'd be telling the next generation to not send the boys in to die or be maimed or go crazy. We won't know because he's dead but people here read three quotes from a best selling author and think they know a man's soul, and condemn his memory like tumblr gods passing judgement.

The only circle jerk ignorant American propaganda jingoism I've seen about American Sniper is from liberals. The hypocrisy is pathetic

How is calling Chris Kyle a moron for taking a guy with severe PTSD to a shooting range where there are (presumably) a bunch of people firing weapons a bigoted or prejudiced thing?

The quotes are from Chris Kyle's own book, and the guy literally said that he had fun killing people in Iraq and it was the best time of his life. Dude was a monster.

EDIT: The real disconnect here is the "liberals" that take issue with the idea that the movie American Sniper displays anything that isn't actually believed to be true and morally upright by the vast majority of Americans.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Wade Wilson posted:

EDIT: The real disconnect here is the "liberals" that take issue with the idea that the movie American Sniper displays anything that isn't actually believed to be true and morally upright by the vast majority of Americans.

Yet the movie is the most successful R rated film of all time? Are the vast majority of Americans watching it just to poo poo post about WMD?

Sounds like some ivory tower distasteful bullshit to me. Like all the criticism. Just so negative and hateful and full of sweeping generalizations. That's how liberals talk now?

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 17, 2015

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Smoothrich posted:

Yet the movie is the most successful R rated film of all time? Are the vast majority of Americans watching it just to poo poo post about WMD?

Sounds like some ivory tower distasteful bullshit to me. Like all the criticism. Just so negative and hateful and full of sweeping generalizations. That's how liberals talk now?

Is English your first language?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

So, I've been to Iraq, am I qualified to say the movie sucked?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Armyman25 posted:

You've been to Iraq and you're still a drat Liberal???

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Armyman25 posted:

Yeah that's fine that's movie criticism. Not pop psychology denouncemets of some dead dude and hateful bashing of the movies fans over spiteful political bipartisanship that is so toxic and divisive. This thread has some poo poo heads but at least also some insightful perspectives going on. I just came off catching up on poo poo like Salon.com articles that sound like sjw tumblerite crap constantly 'dehumanizing' Republicans, soldiers, Clint Eastwood, and then a meaningless blurb about WMD like it has to be a political attack on one side or the other. Like you aren't a liberal if you don't say propaganda three times in your lovely op ed or post.

Seems like a new low in civil discourse when all the people involved in the production are just happy it was successful and will get attention to vet hospitals and stuff but people cite Seth loving Rogen twitter trolls as some more important prescient rally call poo poo to hate.

Just the negativity and spite people keep hurling online at a movie that might dare be meaningful to someone else for entirely different reasons like their dad died in Iraq or something. You don't have to love the loving Bush Doctrine to find meaning or enjoyment from a movie.

Wade Wilson posted:

Is English your first language?

Uh yeah? Is my grammar even incorrect there at all? Was this your first troll? Douchebag.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 17, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What if it's a bad movie that glorifies and justifies the Bush Doctrine. That didn't seem to cross your mind.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Smoothrich posted:

Yeah that's fine that's movie criticism. Not pop psychology denouncemets of some dead dude and hateful bashing of the movies fans over spiteful political bipartisanship that is so toxic and divisive. This thread has some poo poo heads but at least also some insightful perspectives going on. I just came off catching up on poo poo like Salon.com articles that sound like sjw tumblerite crap constantly 'dehumanizing' Republicans, soldiers, Clint Eastwood, and then a meaningless blurb about WMD like it has to be a political attack on one side or the other. Like you aren't a liberal if you don't say propaganda three times in your lovely op ed or post.

Seems like a new low in civil discourse when all the people involved in the production are just happy it was successful and will get attention to vet hospitals and stuff but people cite Seth loving Rogen twitter trolls as some more important prescient rally call poo poo to hate.

Just the negativity and spite people keep hurling online at a movie that might dare be meaningful to someone else for entirely different reasons like their dad died in Iraq or something. You don't have to love the loving Bush Doctrine to find meaning or enjoyment from a movie.

Uh yeah? Is my grammar even incorrect there at all? Was this your first troll? Douchebag.

lmao. Where are you finding this poo poo? Please source your quotes.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What if it's a bad movie that glorifies and justifies the Bush Doctrine. That didn't seem to cross your mind.

I didn't even like the movie that much. Just the tone people on 'the left' been using is so against any sort of common decency. Like all emotional knee-jerk reactionary bullshit you'd expect from the stereotypes everyone keeps bashing. American Sniper as propaganda that needs to be corrected and belittled is to me the same as Fox News War on Christmas poo poo. Stupid as gently caress.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Step back for a moment and look at your posts. Do you see what a moron you are looking like? Now go back to trolling those 'SJW's on tumblr, oh great internet warrior.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So are you going to actually post any kind of cogent defense of this film or just keep ranting about the big mean liberal conspiracy to slander American Hero (tm) Chris Kyle.

If you actually bothered to read this thread instead of inventing straw men, you would see that quite a few people were critiquing this film in terms of both political agenda and artistic merit, neither of which have to do with Chris Kyle himself. Like ok, I get that you are upset about SJW or whatever the gently caress, but that's not what people are talking about here.

People on both sides of the political spectrum (and even actual veterans!) have pointed out problems with this film, so the whole "rrahghhr drat liberals" thing is probably not the hill you want to die on. Also keep in mind that the vast majority of media outlets, even the left-leaning ones, have basically been tripping over themselves to huff Kyle's jockstrap. Maybe don't get so bent out of shape by opinions that aren't yours?

edit: also lol at using the term "ivory tower" unironically.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 17, 2015

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Smoothrich posted:

I'm actually wondering how you could miss the actual point of the post you quoted so hard. I said:

Wade Wilson posted:

How is calling Chris Kyle a moron for taking a guy with severe PTSD to a shooting range where there are (presumably) a bunch of people firing weapons a bigoted or prejudiced thing?

The quotes are from Chris Kyle's own book, and the guy literally said that he had fun killing people in Iraq and it was the best time of his life. Dude was a monster.

and you responded:

Smoothrich posted:

So can you maybe explain how what you said in any way contradicts anything I posted? The reason I asked if English was your first language is that you seem to have completely missed that nothing in what you posted contradicts the EDIT you quoted.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Smoothrich posted:

I didn't even like the movie that much. Just the tone people on 'the left' been using is so against any sort of common decency. Like all emotional knee-jerk reactionary bullshit you'd expect from the stereotypes everyone keeps bashing. American Sniper as propaganda that needs to be corrected and belittled is to me the same as Fox News War on Christmas poo poo. Stupid as gently caress.

Yeah, haters gonna hate I suppose.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Fangz posted:

1. Maybe you should address individual people and/or statements instead of a semi-imagined eigen-person that is an amalgam of every claim you ever read that annoyed you, exaggerated to the maximal degree. Discussion on that basis is insulting and annoying. If you are angry with your facebook friends, then go talk to your facebook friends. If you are annoyed with Seth Rogan, then tweet at him.

2. People's complaints about Chris Kyle extends to far far more than "being proud of his service and saying racist poo poo about his enemy". It pertains to his racist (hopefully lying) boasts about murdering dozens of fellow americans, his self-aggrandisement and use of his kill count to defend past and future wars, his abuse of charity money, his harmful and unsound treatments of PTSD sufferers leading to his own death, his statement that he believed rules of engagement allowed him to kill "all Iraqi males between 16 and 65", his direct lies that led to him being in a court case... and in the case of this movie, the whitewashing of all of that to create a manufactured hero so that Texas can have a Chris Kyle day and so that movie studios can make a lot of money.

I do not know if you are ignorant of the arguments here or you are willfully misrepresenting people. Many critics of Chris Kyle do respect veterans, and I would suggest that *not sending them into senseless atrocious wars is the highest respect you can have*. Chris Kyle certainly did not respect fellow veterans that had the temerity to disagree with him about the War on Iraq, see e.g. Jesse Ventura.

3. Chris Kyle never fought ISIS. ISIS did not exist when Kyle left the military in 2009.

4. I haven't seen the Pacific, but as far as I know it is not one of the most successful movies ever and is not nominated for the Oscars.

Copious amounts *have* been written on WWII, in any case, with a lot of criticism of the racism prevalent in that period. Indeed even noted liberal Clint Eastwood directed a film, "Letters from Iwo Jima", portraying the Japanese side of the conflict shown in the Pacific. You may have heard of him?

Of course, that war was in general rather distinct from, say, the conflict in Iraq. If you see no difference between fighting the genocidal IJA, and shooting all males between 16 and 65 in a country you launched an unprovoked attack on and was militarily occupying, then I suppose that's your choice to make.

EDIT: Actually a lot of veterans are anti-war. They don't tend to commit suicide. So no, I don't think believing that killing hundreds of people was fun and the best time of your life is necessary for civilian existence. A generation of people went to Vietnam and afterwards thought it was a horrible mistake, and get shat on by Chris Kyle's fanclub. But hey, Support The Troops.

I love how the dude basically ignored the contents of this post just to show some more liberal anti-veteran strawmen what for. Silence speaks louder than words, in some cases.

v :vince:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 18, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I love how the dude basically ignored the contents of this post just to show some more liberal anti-veteran strawmen what for. Silence speaks louder than words, in some cases.

Pictured: Smoothrich's posting in this thread.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lurdiak posted:

Eastwood actually understands direct symbolism in a way that if you don't agree with him politically you can read as irrational old man gobbledegook, and that even if you do agree with him politically you're probably too ignorant to understand. Like, even conservatives saw that speech and were, like, "What the gently caress is Eastwood talking about?" even though the metaphor is so patently simple: Attempting a bipartisan political dialog with President Obama is like talking to an empty chair, an intractable and pointless gesture towards the democratic cooperation that 'just isn't there.'

In this scenario, this thread and the film's detractors are actually Eastwood, people who care about film as a commentary on political realities, and Smoothrich is the empty chair.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Hahaha yeah basically. No qualms with most posters here just real surprised at this movies success and the harsh blow back everywhere on the Internet. I mean it's not really an exceptional movie or really that offensive on its own. I didn't know poo poo about Chris Kyle myself but once it was a hit all the haters started bashing the dude the movie is loosely based on for being a bullshiting braggart racist redneck which I mean it's America who gives a poo poo what someone else believes?

The movie could do some good too you know by raising awareness for disabled veterans and their health care. Yeah its retarded to take PTSD vets out to a gun range, but if people really care enough to poo poo talk Chris Kyle about it maybe your time would be better spent lobbying or volunteering for job training and rehabilitation programs that don't get people killed instead. And maybe if half the media bashing American Sniper now were against the Iraqi war in the first place..

Generic Hollywood military action ending with an almost ruined marriage and then double homicide doesn't scream white washing the Iraqi War to me either, its just sad instead. I can't imagine anyone came out of that movie wanting to be a sniper killing civilians unless they're like a dumbass 12 year old who shouldn't be watching an R rated movie to begin with.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

I didn't know poo poo about Chris Kyle myself but once it was a hit all the haters started bashing the dude the movie is loosely based on for being a bullshiting braggart racist redneck which I mean it's America who gives a poo poo what someone else believes?

I don't know man, you seem to care a whole bunch about these "SJW" and "Liberals" think. Still not sure why you keep putting those in quotation marks honestly.

Also, lol, loosely based

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Smoothrich posted:

Everything else in your post has been responded to, but this stuck out to me. Do you really not see the difference in tone between American Sniper and The Pacific? The Pacific is a pretty brutal depiction of american soldiers in a war that American film makers almost never depict in anything but a 'God bless our soldiers!!' way. It was fairly shocking coming from the people behind Band Of Brothers.

It has admittedly been awhile since I saw it, but I remember being deeply uncomfortable frequently by the actions of the soldiers. American Sniper? Not so much.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Everything else in your post has been responded to, but this stuck out to me. Do you really not see the difference in tone between American Sniper and The Pacific? The Pacific is a pretty brutal depiction of american soldiers in a war that American film makers almost never depict in anything but a 'God bless our soldiers!!' way. It was fairly shocking coming from the people behind Band Of Brothers.

It has admittedly been awhile since I saw it, but I remember being deeply uncomfortable frequently by the actions of the soldiers. American Sniper? Not so much.

It actually makes a pretty sharp contrast to Band of Brothers, especially it's depiction of battle. Band of Brothers places great emphasis on the tactics, on the geography and technology. It's brilliant for armchair generals or people that really know the tactics of the time (and masterfully recreated, I think I could draw a pretty clear diagram of every battle in the show)
The Pacific, by contrast, is hordes of faceless enemies hurling themselves at the marines until they stop. Then the marines trudge on to the next unclear objective against a vague enemy and do it again, and they slowly all go mad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Which is its own kind of bullshit, to be honest.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Fury was so loving good.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

i didn't really see this and i think its hard to take a message about american strategy in iraq from the movie

can you expand

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge too, the basis of the best Pacific episodes. It's some disgusting shocking poo poo, and the HBO series covers a surprisingly large amount of it. I mean they're going around ripping gold fillings out of still alive Japanese fighters mouths, finding dead Marines strung up with their severed dicks shoved in their mouths, Marines immediately stop taking prisoners and have to kill tens of thousands of expert fighting fanatic Japanese defenders in the middle of loving civilian centers in Okinawa where over a hundred thousand civilians died, so much awful stuff, everyone was fighting to kill and hated each other on a primal level that seems indescribable, but that book comes close.

The second Pacific episode features John Basilone who literaly Rambo'd in his hands his heavy machine gun and spent three days high on adderall with no sleep killing possibly hundreds of people and won the Medal of Honor, hosed super models on tour as an American Hero, then went to Imo Jima and died on the first day from a mortar in the middle of him like single handedly assaulting machine gun nests in a kill frenzy all over again.

I bet if John Basilone had a twitter he'd be all #killingjaps every day. Shits crazy. In this thread alone people posting basic facts about Chris Kyle killing tons of people, getting famous, and poo poo talking rebel Iraqis and concluding he was an evil sociopath who deserved to die. Uh okay? The people and places can be different from but the story is always the same.

Just seems wrong to attack this guy so much and the attitude is that only ignorant brain washed racists could get something out of the movie without going all autist dwelling on every real life flaw of the person in the movie that people liked. It's a circle jerk film event but it's liberals doing the jerking over a dead guys corpse. It's weird. I'm very liberal and anti war and could never get worked up that poo poo. Like American Sniper is causing harm to American society or something? That the movie is dishonest manipulative propaganda without a cabal of shadowy neoconservative supervillains appearing in the last act admitting to doing 9/11?

Would the critics really liked the movie more if the script had more racist poo poo in it to be more like the book, or less to be more uh, sympathetic to radical Sunni insurgents in the same cities with the same rebel army known as ISIS today? I don't get that either. Too racist! Not racist enough! That he must've been a sociopath war criminal serial killer to shoot people in a war as a soldier is my favorite though.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 18, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

Two thirds of Fury were so loving good.
Fixed.

Smoothrich posted:

Just seems wrong to attack this guy so much
Also seems a little weird to venerate him so much.

quote:

Too racist! Not racist enough!
Almost like it was a disjointed film that didn't know what point it was making, or even if it was making one.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 18, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Nope.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That last battle was loving retarded and snuck in from a much, much worse movie. It was Windtalkers level of ridiculous.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Smoothrich posted:

I bet if John Basilone had a twitter he'd be all #killingjaps every day. Shits crazy. In this thread alone people posting basic facts about Chris Kyle killing tons of people, getting famous, and poo poo talking rebel Iraqis and concluding he was an evil sociopath who deserved to die. Uh okay? The people and places can be different from but the story is always the same.
I hope you do realize that a Hollywood movie will get more exposure than an HBO TV series. It's just a logical consequence that people will be more outspoken about American Sniper than of the Pacific. You probably shouldn't expect people to talk about the Pacific when the thread is about American Sniper. (I freely admit that I've never seen the Pacific and have only vaguely heard about it.) And I dunno if anybody here has actually said that he deserved to die, but I can't say that I did/would shed a tear for him.

Smoothrich posted:

Like American Sniper is causing harm to American society or something? That the movie is dishonest manipulative propaganda without a cabal of shadowy neoconservative supervillains appearing in the last act admitting to doing 9/11?
I do think it does more harm than good to American society because it glorifies a man with a typical American cowboy "badass" image who truly enjoyed his time in Iraq, and his worshippers are chanting to kill all Muslims and ragheads. As if we need to further reinforce our country's polarization..

Smoothrich posted:

Would the critics really liked the movie more if the script had more racist poo poo in it to be more like the book, or less to be more uh, sympathetic to radical Sunni insurgents in the same cities with the same rebel army known as ISIS today? I don't get that either. Too racist! Not racist enough! That he must've been a sociopath war criminal serial killer to shoot people in a war as a soldier is my favorite though.
Personally, I think the movie is getting more accolades that it really deserves largely because of the "you're either with us or against us" mindset. It seems that anybody who speaks negatively about the movie will receive very harsh backlash from its supporters (no poo poo.) Immediately after watching the movie and walking out of the theater, I decided not to have a serious discussion about the movie with my friend because I had criticisms about it that I thought would be unwise to speak in public as it could've potentially spurred confrontation since I live in the military bastion that is San Diego.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Snowman_McK posted:

That last battle was loving retarded and snuck in from a much, much worse movie. It was Windtalkers level of ridiculous.

It made precisely as much cosmological sense to me as the opening scene. It's not precisely like it comes out of nowhere, the entire film is building up to it from the moment we open in the smoked out, poo poo hole crater of mud and shrapnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

It made precisely as much cosmological sense to me as the opening scene. It's not precisely like it comes out of nowhere, the entire film is building up to it from the moment we open in the smoked out, poo poo hole crater of mud and shrapnel.

Would you mind elaborating on what 'cosmological sense' means? I'm not being facetious, I have honestly never encountered those two words together before.

• Locked thread