Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
There's no room for the subtle distinction that someone doesn't have to be a con-man in order to not be a safe bet. I want to believe Molyneux believes the things he says, but it's hard to do that when he takes refuge by upping his claims.

All that's left for me to believe is that he is a designer who was successful a long time ago, but has been the walking paragon of the Peter Principle for 20 years as he develops an increasingly complicated relationship with creative limitations and the press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDvHlwNvXaM
As much as I hate the sentiment of saying something like this, this video is such a mic drop moment goddamnit Peter. Like find me a 15-20 chunk in there that doesn't contain a bold faced lie. (not including the intro)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Eponymous posted:

Yeah, I'm still generally positive on the interview but those are probably the best points against it I've seen. Has anybody ever had an interview with a 22cans developer who wasn't Molyneux? Is he the sole person allowed to talk to people outside the studio?
One guy who got hired after hounding the company to actually do stuff (IIRC) talked to the media about that, and the guy who is actually in charge of making Godus now that Molyneux's gamedev ADD has kicked back in (possibly the same guy) has said a couple of things to the media at least.

Song For The Deaf posted:

There's no room for the subtle distinction that someone doesn't have to be a con-man in order to not be a safe bet. I want to believe Molyneux believes the things he says, but it's hard to do that when he takes refuge by upping his claims.
I have no doubt he believes every word. He's like gaming's George Lucas. He firmly believes in his ideas and their awesomeness, but without someone else there capable of reining him in, things kind of go to hell. Also his best work is literally decades behind him.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Eponymous posted:

I dunno, I read the article and it seemed pretty fair given the circumstances? The interviewer is agressive, sure, but Molyneux has put himself exactly in the position to be asked those unanswerable questions.

I agree generally. I think Molyneux essentially dug his own grave. How many chances do you get? Like they say on C&C he says he has "learned valuable lessons" but he obviously hasn't because he just keeps repeating the mistakes.

As for John Walker, he seems to have a huge target painted on his head by the gamer gater's or what ever you call them. So you have to try and weed out who is just attacking him for that and who is legitimately criticising him.

How they think this ties in with the whole press collusion/corruption conspiracy theories I'm not sure. I agree again with C&C in that they hope this is actually new "office" style mock documentary thing because it is awkward as gently caress to watch (I couldn't make it past the first few mins and just read the transcript).

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The argument that he believes everything he says is surely shot to poo poo after all we've learned about Curiosity and Godus, alongside his responses in that interview.

I genuinely don't understand why he gets this free pass every time.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

The argument that he believes everything he says is surely shot to poo poo after all we've learned about Curiosity and Godus, alongside his responses in that interview.
Just because he believes himself doesn't mean he's not lying.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He straight up admits to promising things he didn't intend to deliver, I don't think there's anything ambiguous about that.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

The purported problem with Molyneux is that you cannot believe a word he says. If that's your thesis, then an interview is the worst possible way to uncover some truth or persuade your readers. You're just giving him more opportunities to talk around you while you weaken your position by overtly trying to trap him. His word can't simultaneously be worthless AND powerful enough to undo him.

If the goal is to discredit Molyneux so that people won't be fooled again, you just let his actions do the talking for you. List his broken promises, in order, every time his name comes up. If it NEEDS to be an interview, talk to the people who have worked with him. Seems to me that's where the story is.

All of that is setting aside the fact that it seems gross (to me) to crusade against him so directly. It kind of seems like his star is falling of its own accord after a decade plus of nonstop scrutiny for failing to meet modern expectations. The conditions under which he thrived don't exist anymore. It's not quite kicking a man while he's down, but it's kicking him on the way down for almost no effect.

I feel goofy Monday morning quarterbacking a dumb and pointless interview, but everything about it is shamefully misguided. Nobody looks good.

I think this week's Jimquisition does a good job of demonstrating what a manipulative, duplicitous piece of work Molyneux is, almost exclusively using quotes about the Fable series. That is certainly one approach to the Molyneux problem.

But the issue is, if you've got a man like this in front of you, most of the games press would give him the same softball questions as any other developer, and that just can't be acceptable when you're dealing with someone like Molyneux. That not taking him to task for the decades of lies and deceit has been standard operating procedure is part of the problem. It's not the sole reason he's been able to get away with it all these years, but a complicit games press certainly hasn't hurt.

The RPS interview was harsh, but the amount of gnashing and wailing and Molyneux apologism it's unleashed has been remarkable.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

On a more positive note I loved hearing Kole just lose his poo poo completely at Gary's millennia-deep cut on Abject Suffering.
I was too Bible ignorant to get it, which is sad because not only am I going to hell, I also missed out an an amazing joke. :(

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I think it's a neat interview for actually trying to get answers re: what the gently caress is going on with Godus (I don't give a poo poo about Godus, but the people who paid/Kickstarted/is the God of Gods and will be paid probably do) and the things he was supposed to deliver. It's aggressive, but the alternative is yet another: What's next for Godus? Can you talk about the multiplayer? What can you tell us about the combat? PR bullet point back of the box featureset stuff.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
As someone who was there at the time and remembers the disaster that was Stalin vs. Martians, some context for y'all, Gary and Kole:

It's early 2009 and two trailers hit the internet and go moderately viral. One is the original Plants vs. Zombies "music video", and the other is the dancing Stalin which became one of the game's intermissions for SvM. I swear there was a thinkpiece actually bemoaning this as some kind of awful trend at the time, but I can't be arsed to find it. Then SvM comes out months ahead of Popcap's game, and hoooooo boy.

As you discovered, a lot of the game's base is a reskin of an actual military sim, but in what's less visible at a casual glance is that some of the enemy units are too. The not-Toy Story aliens are actually converted tanks, and the tiny skittle creatures that are impossible to target are infantry. I don't think any of you got up to the "beholder" enemy you mentioned from a loading screen, which is actually a really, really crappy Cacodemon from Doom ripoff. I don't think anyone ever picked out analogues for the later enemies, like the suicide-bomber mushrooms, or "The Worm" and other mega-sized enemies which are horrible gimmick missions. Basically, though, know that the further you get in, and from memory, the game did not launch in "Game of the Year Edition", that was actually a patched copy. Even post-patch, the game was still thoroughly broken. One mission required you to take out enough enemies of an endless spawning challenge to use one of the magic powers. The problem? The cost of the power was incorrectly listed, meaning you're sitting there going "WHY CAN'T I WIN" for about an hour while trying to grind Stalinbux. There are also invisible walls. In an RTS.

Anyway basically what I'm saying is you guys got off easy on that one. Also I found this image on the LP Archive for a good demonstration of how awful the enemies looked, this was a late-game mission where a massive army wrecks you often.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 17, 2015

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

He straight up admits to promising things he didn't intend to deliver, I don't think there's anything ambiguous about that.

Exactly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Here's a rhetorical question: why isn't anyone talking about the other, more friendly interviews Molyneux did, with the Guardian and others?

Maybe the answer is that PM has distilled avoiding talking about why he wants to avoid talking about into an art form. We already know that a more respectful, professional interview would bring nothing except PM's attempt to restore the status quo. In which case the hostility is a reasonable tactic, it breaks PM out of his comfort zone. And the controversy itself helps create awareness and stops PM from brushing this all under the carpet.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Szmitten posted:

It's aggressive, but the alternative is yet another: What's next for Godus? Can you talk about the multiplayer? What can you tell us about the combat? PR bullet point back of the box featureset stuff.
There are more than two styles of interviewing.

Fangz posted:

Here's a rhetorical question: why isn't anyone talking about the other, more friendly interviews Molyneux did, with the Guardian and others?
In part it's because RPS was first.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

A Jupiter posted:

Ah yes, the "lovely clickbait shill" argument.

You wrote that article just so people could read it!

(If I interviewed Peter Molyneux I would ask him about Dungeon Keeper 3 until he cried.)

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Is there a reason why you can't just humanely kill the sharks like any other kind of fish? Like I know it's a thing that they defin the sharks and throw them back in the water to suffer an agonizing death, but I can't imagine any reason that makes sense to do it that way.

EDIT: VVV *knits fingers perversely* indeed

The reason is shark meat is in low demand and you can make more money with a hold full of shark fins than a hold full of full sharks. To put in the video game metaphors, you don't want to lug around Dragon bones (10 pounds @ 10 gold)when you could just take dragon scales (1 lb @ 50g)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Awhile ago in this thread there was discussion about "People say they want a mature Zelda, but what does that even mean really?" Well, I found the answer for me. It's Majora's Mask.

All the hype about the remake (and your good pieces championing it, Bob) made me splurge on a New 3DS with MM and it's pretty loving amazing. I've just beaten the second dungeon and so far this will probably go down as my favorite in the series. It is the first Zelda game I've played where the world truly feels alive and in major crisis. It's also shocking to me how dark the game is in certain sections and some stuff is very horror-like. Frantically trying to beat a dungeon before the world ends adds such a great element to things. It's not just the timer, it's the way everyone continually freaks the gently caress out as the time draws closer and the environment changes (earthquakes, sky turns red as the moon gets gigantic, etc). It's just an awesome backdrop to a great story.

I'm also a huge fan of the other stuff that seems to have been a byproduct of a limited development time (as that awesome Iwata interview talked about). Hardly any tutorial at all. The overworld seems to be brimming with interesting stuff to do since they didn't have time to build a bunch of dungeons, and the dungeons that are present are much shorter (by necessity of the 3 day cycle) and I feel they are more fun because of it. They feel much leaner without so much superfluous backtracking.

I don't know how I overlooked MM before, but I'm glad that I did. Experiencing this tuned up and fantastic looking game in 2015 really is the best thing. As the Retronauts crew mentioned in their Majora's mini-episode, this is the "dark & mature Zelda" that people have been yammering on about for years, its just that most people missed out on it at release. I totally agree with this line of thinking (at least thus far in my playthrough).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Check out Link's Awakening if you haven't played that also. It's probably the closest in tone to Majora; though it doesn't get quite as dark, it's very melancholic and surreal.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I'm also a huge fan of the other stuff that seems to have been a byproduct of a limited development time (as that awesome Iwata interview talked about). Hardly any tutorial at all. The overworld seems to be brimming with interesting stuff to do since they didn't have time to build a bunch of dungeons, and the dungeons that are present are much shorter (by necessity of the 3 day cycle) and I feel they are more fun because of it. They feel much leaner without so much superfluous backtracking.

Yeah, that great Iwata Asks interview made me understand what informed the design of Majora's Mask, and what makes it so great. You really get the feeling the developers were trying to keep themselves entertained to stay sane, and it seems like Eiji Aonuma was not very happy about having to outdo Ocarina of Time shortly after ending production on a very difficult and often-delayed project. Though if you read any other interview with him, he generally seems like a pretty beleaguered guy.

If you like Majora's Mask, I really recommend checking out Marvelous: it's Aonuma's directorial debut, and basically why he was put in charge of the Zelda series. Like Majora's, it can get pretty dark, and the three characters with their distinct abilities really remind me of the Deku/Goron/Zora forms. Here's something I wrote about the game for Joystiq, if you're interested:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/28/nintendos-mischievous-marvelous-mixes-zelda-with-point-and-clic/

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Check out Link's Awakening if you haven't played that also. It's probably the closest in tone to Majora; though it doesn't get quite as dark, it's very melancholic and surreal.

And since it doesn't have any bullshit time limits or awful sailing mechanics, it is not a Bad Zelda.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

bobservo posted:

If you like Majora's Mask, I really recommend checking out Marvelous: it's Aonuma's directorial debut, and basically why he was put in charge of the Zelda series. Like Majora's, it can get pretty dark, and the three characters with their distinct abilities really remind me of the Deku/Goron/Zora forms. Here's something I wrote about the game for Joystiq, if you're interested:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/28/nintendos-mischievous-marvelous-mixes-zelda-with-point-and-clic/

I wouldn't really compare Marvelous to Majora; the tone is more wacky than creepy and the way the game is broken into discrete, more-or-less linear chunks reminded me of Skyward Sword, if anything.

One of the reasons Marvelous feels disjointed and unfinished is that, like Secret of Mana, it was initially conceived as a SNES-CD game and later hacked down to fit on a cartridge. Someone translated an old Marvelous interview a while back, it covers the development of the game in some detail: http://gosokkyu.com/post/102694408602/marvelous-mouhitotsu-no-takarajima-developer

What's also interesting about Marvelous is that the team developed a couple of episodic spinoffs that were distributed via Satellaview, and those same games were later heavily recycled to form the Japan-only "Navi Trackers" portion of Four Swords Adventures for Gamecube.

Hakkesshu posted:

The main story threads for both Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask were written by Yoshiaki Koizumi, the guy who now runs EAD Tokyo, the studio that makes all the 3D Mario games, so that's no coincidence. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't write the plot to Mario Sunshine because yeesh.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 18, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
oops

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 18, 2015

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wouldn't really compare Marvelous to Majora; the tone is more wacky than creepy and the way the game is broken into discrete, more-or-less linear chunks reminded me of Skyward Sword, if anything.

I don't know, that Invasion of the Body Snatchers-inspired chapter is probably creepier than anything found in Majora's Mask. Thanks for posting that interview, BTW—I've never heard so much inside info on Marvelous before.

Dec 30, 2008
I just listened to the latest Idle Thumbs, and it was super weird hearing how down Justin was on Grim Fandango after they brought it up by mentioning that he gave it a 7/10.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Guest posted:

I just listened to the latest Idle Thumbs, and it was super weird hearing how down Justin was on Grim Fandango after they brought it up by mentioning that he gave it a 7/10.

The lesson there is to not pay any attention to Polygon's reviews. The fact that they don't score their own reviews is weird and anything Arthur Gies is in charge of is automatically suspect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pasco posted:

I think this week's Jimquisition does a good job of demonstrating what a manipulative, duplicitous piece of work Molyneux is, almost exclusively using quotes about the Fable series. That is certainly one approach to the Molyneux problem.

That video did more harm to Molyneux than any interview done by angry enthusiast press man could ever hope to achieve. Researching old quotes coming from him about his previous games and how a pattern emerges from it all was really well done.

Guest posted:

I really love that game but adventure games, even the ones near the end of the "golden age" could be pretty obtuse with their puzzle solutions. Not having a solid hint system like the Monkey Island remakes really hurt it with modern audiences not used to this sort of game.

Link43130
Apr 13, 2009

Guest posted:

I think they mentioned it in that episode (or maybe an earlier one with Danielle) but at Polygon the writer doesn't score the review, other people at Polygon read the text and give it the score they think the text reads like.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Jimbot posted:

I really love that game but adventure games, even the ones near the end of the "golden age" could be pretty obtuse with their puzzle solutions. Not having a solid hint system like the Monkey Island remakes really hurt it with modern audiences not used to this sort of game.

Having just played it, Grim's puzzles strike me as bad when compared to LucasArts' other games, but a lot of that can be chalked up to how often the 3D sets obfuscate important details. I also get the feeling that Schafer really beefed up the difficulty of the puzzles on account of Manny only having one verb action.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Not sure when it's out but Shawn Elliot is on the next (I think) gamers with jobs. Been a while since he was on a podcast.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I haven't listened to GWJ in a very long time but that sounds like it might pull me back in at least for an episode

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Honestly, I'm scared to check out another show with Shawn. He's had some weird regressive opinions on Twitter lately. He did some cheerleading of the Ethan Carter guy who was basically throwing a tantrum about Anita trying to make it so he could never use certain plot devices again. Shawn was my first favorite pod-personality.

To clarify: I'm capable of enjoying someones work in spite of gross opinions but I imagine it will come up and I don't necessarily want to hear this guy I like say some dumb poo poo. Maybe I'm wrong.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 18, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It was more or less about a villain being villainous. I don't think it was regressive at all. I'm more concerned that it seems like he has become really ponderous and full of himself. He kaka'd cutscenes because it wasn't done in-game like the stuff he worked on but the stuff he worked on basically locked you in a room and talked at you while giving you binary choices rather than being an entertaining piece of fluff. Hopefully the Ken Levine self-importance sheen will wear off while he is working at Arkane.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Jimbot posted:

It was more or less about a villain being villainous. I don't think it was regressive at all. I'm more concerned that it seems like he has become really ponderous and full of himself. He kaka'd cutscenes because it wasn't done in-game like the stuff he worked on but the stuff he worked on basically locked you in a room and talked at you while giving you binary choices rather than being an entertaining piece of fluff. Hopefully the Ken Levine self-importance sheen will wear off while he is working at Arkane.

There was still a fundamental misunderstanding of what progressive critics are talking about when they bring this poo poo up, however. Ethan Carterman was banging on about a tool being permanently removed from the writer's box rather than people saying hey, there are other tools and this one shouldn't be used so casually.

You're right about other points, however. His cut scene rant was pretty silly (though he's right about QTEs).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, I won't disagree that it's a worn out tool that could use some rest and her tweets are basically saying that, I think Shawn Elliot even said he misunderstood them and shifted his position some. But I could be misremembering. And yeah, he's spot on about QTE but the whole cutscene thing just came off as snobby to me.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

RE: The latest Thumbs and Selfie Sticks vs Asking Someone Else to Take Your Picture:

I'd love to live in a place where I could hand my $400 phone to a stranger and not expect it to get stolen. Handing over some disposable camera back in the 90s can't really be compared to handing over the 'camera' that everyone carries around with them now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pasco posted:

Selfie Sticks

Oh God I was in Thailand last Christmas and those things were everywhere. I had never seen them before, don't tell me they're spreading!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

C-Euro posted:

Oh God I was in Thailand last Christmas and those things were everywhere. I had never seen them before, don't tell me they're spreading!

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I really don't see what the problem is with selfie sticks. It just seems like something for people to get self-righteously mad at as if they're above it all or something.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Lugaloco posted:

I really don't see what the problem is with selfie sticks. It just seems like something for people to get self-righteously mad at as if they're above it all or something.

Was I mad at selfie sticks? I said they made me feel old (which they do! I don't care about them one way or another but tourist spots look undeniably different than they did when I was younger because of their presence), and Remo gave a pretty succinct and accurate reason for their (and selfies) rise, in a way that was not about anger or shaming. Just because someone has a selfie stick discussion it doesn't mean they're immediately having the conversation you're apparently assuming they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

ja2ke posted:

Was I mad at selfie sticks? I said they made me feel old (which they do! I don't care about them one way or another but tourist spots look undeniably different than they did when I was younger because of their presence), and Remo gave a pretty succinct and accurate reason for their (and selfies) rise, in a way that was not about anger or shaming. Just because someone has a selfie stick discussion it doesn't mean they're immediately having the conversation you're apparently assuming they are.

It wasn't directed at you at all, I haven't even listened to the episode yet :)

• Locked thread