Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

I think it's just a tuner, not a receiver. I.e., no amp.

Yeah just saw that, thanks though, I was unsure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Flaggy posted:

Yeah just saw that, thanks though, I was unsure.

Its probably a find tuner if that's what you're looking for.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I'm going to be picking up a pretty sweet looking Luxman power amp later this week. Right now it looks like the owner doesn't have the matched preamp. Any suggestions on cheapo preamps I could buy to let me use this thing until I track down the matching Luxman pre?

Like I would seriously be totally on board for something Lepai-sized that's $50 or less that I could hide away a little bit. If push comes to shove I only need one input.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Do you need a remote?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TheMadMilkman posted:

Do you need a remote?

Nope. Especially if it's a small form factor.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Nope. Especially if it's a small form factor.

Do you just need a phono stage or a linestage as well?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Chill Callahan posted:

Do you just need a phono stage or a linestage as well?

For the time being I probably don't need a phono stage. Input will be a TV over RCA cables. (So device switching will be/could be through the tv)

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 17, 2015

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Does your TV control the volume of the line out? You may not need a preamp.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The schiit sys would be an option. Small, two inputs, a volume control, and $49.

But if the TV has a variable line out, then ya, it should be possible to use that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't think the TV does, but it's definitely worth looking into before I buy something. Good advice. I'll look into that Schiit too.

OK, the Schiit SYS is basically exactly what I'm looking for I think.

This setup is going to be a TV that has a Roku, a Chromecast and a laptop hooked up via HDMI. 99% of the time I'm streaming music through the Chromecast. I think the line out is not variable, but I'll check. If not, TV line out will go into that SYS, then into the 120wpc Luxman M120A, then into a pair of B&W DM-2s.

Is there anything that sounds stupid in this scenario?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 17, 2015

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Nothing really to add but I got my first piece of Luxman gear and I really like it, a R115, combined with a Luxman CD player, I was pretty impressed from the CD direct side input of this receiver.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm looking to unload a Marantz PMD 510 in not great working condition. I'm hoping that maybe I can get somebody to do something in exchange for it rather than cash, or swap it for something that I actually want or need, feel free to make offers. It will record and play, and all the buttons and dials appear to work, but there's sporadic noises, buzzing, et cetera, that make this thing sound like doodoo. So let's just say it's "used, for parts or repair."
I'm thinking maybe I can swap this for some work.
Apologize for sorta trying to solicit but offhand I can't think of a better piece of hardware to discuss in this thread, for what it's worth. The PMD 510 was a beautiful piece. It was the Death Star of 80s stereo equipment.
If interested, PM me.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

The glue on the selector knob for my Marantz 2250B gave out today. Any tips on what to use when re-gluing it?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Heya guys, I've had a fairly nice two-channel setup connected to my computer for a while now. Sony STR-7055 receiver, KLH Model 23 speakers with fresh crossover caps, and a Technics SL-D205 turntable with a Grado Black cartridge of unknown age. I've never gotten a ton of use out of the turntable, but I'd like to change that, especially since I got my hands on a (literal) crate full of vinyl and discovered that my boring river town has a gigantic used/new record store hidden in it.

I have noticed that the turntable seems to sound pretty grainy, for lack of a better term, during loud or busy sections, on both new and old records. It's a bit more noticeable on inner tracks, but I think the cartridge is calibrated pretty accurately. Could the stylus just a a bit worn, is there something else obvious that I'm missing, or is the Grado cart just a bit limited? On that note, I've somehow accumulated a few other cartridges which all have very worn or completely broken styluses (styli), namely an XLM Improved Mk III, a Shure M91ED, and a very shiny gold Empire 4000 D/I with its box. Assuming the cartridges themselves work, would any of these be a major improvement on the Grado? Styluses for the XLM and the Empire are both nosebleed-inducingly expensive, but ones for the Shure are pretty affordable.

BEST COMPUTER SPEAKERS EVER. Also, more things need a :black101: LOUDNESS :black101: switch.

The turntable, on the other hand, gives me mixed emotions. sharp-eyed viewers may notice something INTERESTING in back

And an actual crate full of records. The ones sitting on the lid are shiny new ones I picked up.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

From an Amazon review:

quote:

Now( and here's the "honest" part), the Grado Prestige Black is going to show it's slight weakness in overcoming inner groove sound distortion and it's inability in tracking harsh consonants/sibilants. It can be "spitty" at times and depending on the quality or condition of the record.

I would try a new cartridge and then if that doesn't fix it, try headphones and see if it sounds better than your speakers since those are your biggest sources of distortion in your chain.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

The turntable, on the other hand, gives me mixed emotions. sharp-eyed viewers may notice something INTERESTING in back

That you need to dust?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Flaggy posted:

That you need to dust?

KLH 9s?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Thorens TD-105 is alive*, with a brand-new Ortofon OM-5E and spinning some Count Basie that I inherited from my grandpa. The pop at the beginning is from my phone, for some reason. I also need to perfect my positioning and lowering skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSz6KSw9MAQ
(drat, Youtube doesn't play around with their copyrighted music detection. The record's from 1969, I figured they'd cut me some slack.)

* The auto-return function doesn't work. It senses the runout groove correctly and stops the platter, but it doesn't raise+return the turnarm. It must be a mechanical issue, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. It also desperately needs a new belt. The current one will maintain a steady speed, but it's lost pretty much all elasticity.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 20, 2015

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Magnepans?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

Magnepans?

That's what I was thinking.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

TooLShack posted:

Magnepans?

KLH made planar speakers. The model 9, like I said.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

They look just like my Maggies, but I've never seen KLHs before.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm facing a bit of an annoyance with my Thorens. While I'm pretty sure I can fix the auto-return, I have discovered that the motor is making a noise that kinda sounds like knocking.

It's definitely not the platter spindle nor the belt, since the noise is still picked up with the belt off and the pickup resting on a stationary record. When I lift the pickup back up, the noise disappears again, so it must be the motor coupling noise into the sprung part of the plinth. I've tried adding a drop of oil to the motor's bearings and letting everything run for a couple of hours, but to no avail.

Any tips for fixing a noisy motor on a belt-drive turntable, other than replacing it (impossible to find)?

E: Running it for a couple more hours seems to have lessened the problem somewhat :confused: I'll have to see if it changes further over time. A perfect excuse to play my inherited mint condition copy of Aqualung.

I also managed to fix the auto-return. Apparently the relay was just barely too weak to pull properly, so by shifting it slightly in its mounting holes it won't have to pull quite as far, and it all works now. It's a pretty cool little opto-mechanical system that leaves the tonearm completely untouched until it needs to be returned.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 21, 2015

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

empty baggie posted:

They look just like my Maggies, but I've never seen KLHs before.

Yep, MG-1s to be precise. Sadly they have the usual wire corrosion problems. I'll fix them up. Sometime.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Yep, MG-1s to be precise. Sadly they have the usual wire corrosion problems. I'll fix them up. Sometime.

Same model as mine. Luckily I have no issues with them besides nobody wanting to buy them from me.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

KozmoNaut posted:

Any tips for fixing a noisy motor on a belt-drive turntable, other than replacing it (impossible to find)?

E: Running it for a couple more hours seems to have lessened the problem somewhat :confused: I'll have to see if it changes further over time. A perfect excuse to play my inherited mint condition copy of Aqualung.

Motor vibration/knocking/noise issues can be caused by motor spindle bearings that have come out of place. I was able to fix a similar issue with a Garrard motor of mine with a sharp rap to the bottom of the motor bearing cover with a screw driver handle. (This was Garrard's actual recommended fix from a service bulletin!)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ron Burgundy posted:

Motor vibration/knocking/noise issues can be caused by motor spindle bearings that have come out of place. I was able to fix a similar issue with a Garrard motor of mine with a sharp rap to the bottom of the motor bearing cover with a screw driver handle. (This was Garrard's actual recommended fix from a service bulletin!)

:allears:

I love whenever engineers get past the marketing fluff and are able lay down the no-nonsense truth.

The noise is tolerable for now, but I'll keep it in mind, should it get any worse.

I've also got a line on a beautiful SL-1200 Mk 1, so I might just solve it that way.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I bought this Pioneer PL-A35 from a friend today for $60. Missing the anti-skate weight/arm, and the motor seems to start slowly after it sits for a while. It sounds great though, with the Shure M91ED cart and whatever stylus was replaced into it years ago. A nice step up from my Garrard DD75.

The previous owner painted the bottom black. :( At least he did a good job with it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Dare is a pretty great album too.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It seems like everyone in my city has gotten word that vintage audio equipment is suddenly desirable, and I haven't been able to find any good deals on local classifieds or at thrift stores. It used to be that I could routinely find amps and receivers for $20-60 on the regular, clean and fix them up, and flip them for a reasonable profit. Now even the junk stuff is being listed for $100+

I broke the dry spell tonight by finding a really nice condition Kenwood KA-7300 at a thrift store. 65 watts/channel with a dual power supply.

I was originally gonna clean it up and flip it, but I might keep it for myself since I don't have a nice integrated amp anymore.

It was staticy as all hell, but a quick spray in the pots and switches with contact cleaner fixed everything right up.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Dude that thing is awesome, you gotta keep it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah definitely. I will probably recap it some day too, since everything looks easy to access.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Yeah that Kenwood stuff back then was very well regarded. Dual mono is really awesome too. Too bad it doesn't have toroidal transformers (though I don't know if there are really any advantages to them, really).

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That Kenwood looks real nice. Toroidal transformers make less EMI supposedly. I don't know if it would make any difference after they are shielded though.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

BANME.sh posted:

It seems like everyone in my city has gotten word that vintage audio equipment is suddenly desirable, and I haven't been able to find any good deals on local classifieds or at thrift stores. It used to be that I could routinely find amps and receivers for $20-60 on the regular, clean and fix them up, and flip them for a reasonable profit. Now even the junk stuff is being listed for $100+

I broke the dry spell tonight by finding a really nice condition Kenwood KA-7300 at a thrift store. 65 watts/channel with a dual power supply.

I was originally gonna clean it up and flip it, but I might keep it for myself since I don't have a nice integrated amp anymore.

It was staticy as all hell, but a quick spray in the pots and switches with contact cleaner fixed everything right up.

the coolness of vintage recievers is directly proportional to the size of the volume knob

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Chill Callahan posted:

Yeah that Kenwood stuff back then was very well regarded. Dual mono is really awesome too. Too bad it doesn't have toroidal transformers (though I don't know if there are really any advantages to them, really).

Yeah I've had my hands on several pieces of Kenwood gear and they've always been my favorite to work with. The older stuff that has Trio branded components were supposedly the best.

This KA-7300 has proprietary output transistors in the amplifier stages, which are apparently near irreplaceable if they get fried.

Normally they look generic like this

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Stopped by goodwill real quick today, paid off, Klipsch Forte II with matching center channel for 200 bucks.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Been meaning to toss this up for awhile, flexie shelfs are great. Took an afternoon and around $170 in materials. I spent a little extra for black oxide all thread and hardware.

Planning on building a freestanding bookshelf once I get all my stuff in one place.

Phone posting, hope it's not gigantic

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I'm in the process of building my first real a/v setup and I was thinking that the peachtree audio nova 65se would be the best option for me (I will be playing from both a computer and a turntable) but now I'm wondering if I might not get as good or better sound for way less money if I get a DAC and a vintage 70s receiver. Any thoughts on peachtree or what my options are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I'm in the process of building my first real a/v setup and I was thinking that the peachtree audio nova 65se would be the best option for me (I will be playing from both a computer and a turntable) but now I'm wondering if I might not get as good or better sound for way less money if I get a DAC and a vintage 70s receiver. Any thoughts on peachtree or what my options are?

Are you really going to spend a grand on an amp? Spend the money on speakers.