Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Still better than Chris Kyle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Is that the tomahawk at sea test?

edit: haha those poor birds.

TCD fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 16, 2015

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I know birds are irritating as gently caress, but this just seems... Excessive.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

Needs more bus exploding suicide boom sticks.

is there a story about that incident?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

is there a story about that incident?
Suposedly it's actually a Kazakh Spetnaz training exercise.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Those birds honestly have pretty good reaction times considering how fast that jimbo was probably flying.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Rough Lobster posted:

Those birds honestly have pretty good reaction times considering how fast that jimbo was probably flying.

That's the thing with pigeons, you think you're about to get one finally in your car and then *poof* they dart outta there.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

TCD posted:

Is that the tomahawk at sea test?

edit: haha those poor birds.

Yes.

Birds poo poo everywhere, don't feel sorry for them.

Edit
http://gcaptain.com/pigeons-sitting-stacked-containers-blasted-tomahawk-missile/

lightpole fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 16, 2015

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
In the future the Marines will go to war.. with their balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6IZTY4__Sc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

Suposedly it's actually a Kazakh Spetnaz training exercise.

Yeah, from what I've seen it was just a training exercise/public demonstration of a hostage rescue. No word on exactly why their method was to use a pole to hurl a bomb in through the window beyond "Spetsnaz."

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, from what I've seen it was just a training exercise/public demonstration of a hostage rescue. No word on exactly why their method was to use a pole to hurl a bomb in through the window beyond "Spetsnaz."

I was a bit more concerned about the armored vehicle spitting machine gun fire at the start. Then again, that seems to be SOP for Russian hostage rescue. The terrorists have no more living hostages, we win!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

iyaayas01 posted:

And if you want to talk big planes flying off of carriers, it doesn't get much bigger than the Whale:

It even dropped some bombs in Vietnam:

Their recon job seemed like straight-up suicide. Fly in a straight line dropping flares and taking pictures until you get blown out of the sky.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

drgitlin posted:

Their recon job seemed like straight-up suicide. Fly in a straight line dropping flares and taking pictures until you get blown out of the sky.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

drgitlin posted:

And probably the only love it got in the popular media was in The Andromeda Strain.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Pretty sure the last aircrew to get shot down in Vietnam was an RF-5C crew doing BDA, so take that as you will.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Pretty sure the last aircrew to get shot down in Vietnam was an RF-5C crew doing BDA, so take that as you will.

It was one of the last...I think a BUFF got shot down by a SAM a couple days later during the tail end of Linebacker II. Also there were some other losses in 1973 (A-6, A-7 (both USAF and Navy), F-111) but they were all either from AAA in South Vietnam or in Laos/Cambodia.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I had no idea the Navy flew planes like this over Vietnam. That seems like a pretty big bomber for the Navy.

How did it compare to Skyhawks and Intruders?

I think this about covers it:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

It was one of the last...I think a BUFF got shot down by a SAM a couple days later during the tail end of Linebacker II. Also there were some other losses in 1973 (A-6, A-7 (both USAF and Navy), F-111) but they were all either from AAA in South Vietnam or in Laos/Cambodia.
There was also that VNAF AC-119 gunship (that we had turned over to them) that was shot down on the last day of the war (pg 82) attacking NVA columns marching on Saigon, but they were technically not American.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 17, 2015

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Posted unironically on my old unit's facebook page re: al asad air base

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Admiral Bosch posted:

Posted unironically on my old unit's facebook page re: al asad air base

ISIS wipes out the posturing pedos while the Navy drives them back?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Madurai posted:

I think this about covers it:

lol loving the Stoof with a Roof.

Dead Reckoning posted:

There was also that VNAF AC-119 gunship (that we had turned over to them) that was shot down on the last day of the war (pg 82) attacking NVA columns marching on Saigon, but they were technically not American.

Well if you want to get really technical a -53 got shot down during the Mayaguez snafu with another one crash landing off-shore and another crash landing in Thailand.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I was completely unaware there was a C-1 AEW variant. They called it the Tracer instead of Trader. :3:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

I was completely unaware there was a C-1 AEW variant. They called it the Tracer instead of Trader. :3:

The Anti-Submarine Warfare variant was called the Tracker.

(Click for big.)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

The Anti-Submarine Warfare variant was called the Tracker.

(Click for big.)

How bout that Tracer

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Stultus Maximus posted:

ISIS sure takes their goats chastity seriously.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

isis doesnt have a navy :ssh:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

How bout that Tracer

Amazing how far we've come in 60 years.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The C/E-2 is old school pretty. Like a 56 Chevy or a 39 Buick Road master. It looks like had it been made 60 years earlier it would have leveled a mess of German cities

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Hey look at these cool bulletproof hats. Do they work? Only one way to find out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgcxNyz1g_Y

:captainpop: good job russians

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Huh, is that the old commie revolver that you could (theoretically) use a silencer with because the cylinder pushed forward to make a seal with the barrel each shot?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

not caring here posted:

Huh, is that the old commie revolver that you could (theoretically) use a silencer with because the cylinder pushed forward to make a seal with the barrel each shot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagant_M1895

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only problem is that the unique cylinder arrangement means it takes ages to be reloaded through a side gate and it has a lovely, stupidly heavy trigger pull.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hahahaha, gently caress it, that's still pretty cool.

I've never shot one, but it's the only double action with a loading gate I'd ever seen before.

If you are a bit of gun nerd, you might like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNeAXoZb4VQ

Basically, this isn't going to be a contender in the army and air force's modular handgun system fiasco (if it's even still running), but a proposed upgrade to the existing M9s that we got floating around. They'll even sell the whole units for less than what the army pays now. I think Beretta is banking on the army and air force being a grade a gently caress up (a good bet) and being unable to decide on a new gat. The video shows the new features, like just a decocker and no safety, threaded barrel, and some other bits and pieces.

Hell, I'd buy one.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Didn't they announce sometime very recently that the M9A3 wouldn't get picked up?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Don't quote me on this, but apparently the army decided to not even look at it.

edit: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/01/09/army-rejects-m9a3-proposal-opts-for-new-pistol.html

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What is it about pistol procurement that turns into such a fiasco?

We're still using Browning Hi-Powers from 1945 because every new procurement program fails. :canada:

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/article/65674military_cancels_planned_weapons_purchase/

http://www.casr.ca/doc-pa-gsp-pistol.htm

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Pageau.pdf

I feel like it should be a simple matter for Canada or the US to just buy X number of SIG p226, or Berettas, or whatever and be done with it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How that not going to end up like the rifle program where they always end up going "welp modern poo poo's nice but not enough of an improvement to warrant replacing existing inventory, everyone get bent"

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

What is it about pistol procurement that turns into such a fiasco?
Answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

Even the High Power is a case of procurement stupidity: the French looked at it and others, then said, "nah," and used it to make improvements to one of their own goofy-rear end guns instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

evil_bunnY posted:

How that not going to end up like the rifle program where they always end up going "welp modern poo poo's nice but not enough of an improvement to warrant replacing existing inventory, everyone get bent"

That carbine replacement program was designed to not actually replace anything, and to keep Colt picking up piles of money. I'm a little bit fuzzy on the details but it involves a former general being on the board of directors for Colt, and some terrible fudging of test results.

As for the M9, I like it a lot, which I suppose puts me in the minority. As long as you haven't got those checkmate mags that still seems to be in armories everywhere, they are reliable as gently caress. The biggest thing that they need to change isn't the gun, it's that lovely goddamn ammo that they use. I don't know what it is exactly but it's loving terrible.

• Locked thread