Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

ghetto wormhole posted:

Let's get retarded in here.

lol grotesques are half the cost and better in almost every way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

ghetto wormhole posted:

Let's get retarded in here.

Finally, the Power Drill has rules. IA 13 didn't have the information for them.

I think I liked it better when you paid 15 points for nothing. Christ, why not just make it a Powerfist? That would fit it AND be marginally useful.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Von Humboldt posted:

Christ, why not just make it a Powerfist? That would fit it AND be marginally useful.

Some of their decisions for little things like that are really weird. I still can't get over the Augur shells for the Leman Russ Conqueror. The fluff is like "these are rare experimental shells that work in a unique way" (basically HESH) and then they give them complicated rules that are completely worthless and make them an upgrade only available on a very meh variant for 20 points.

Like why bother putting so much effort into writing, formatting, and space if it's just gonna end up as something that you'd have to be an idiot to take? Also in the same section they have incendiary shells for the Leman Russ battle tank that completely invalidate the Eradicator because they have the same stats as the Nova cannon with 12" longer range for 5 points less. And you could still choose to fire regular shells too.

edit: I assume quad launchers supposed to have pinning? Because barrage weapons no longer inherently have pinning in 7th and they seem to have remembered to add it to several of the other artillery pieces. The Shell Shock rule is completely pointless without it.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 17, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've got so much GW, Mantic, Spartan and terrain stuff on that well off the bottom of the screen 'To Paint' list I'm considering splitting it up and making dedicated boards each for those four, plus one for the rest.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Has anyone tried running gunslinger vanguard veterans? Kind of like the idea of a five man squad each loaded out with a plasma and a grav pistol.

Oh man, no, don't do it. The guns alone would cost 150 points for 5 guys outfitted like that. It's not worth it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I've got so much GW, Mantic, Spartan and terrain stuff on that well off the bottom of the screen 'To Paint' list I'm considering splitting it up and making dedicated boards each for those four, plus one for the rest.

How do you make subtasks with visible clickboxes?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Pierzak posted:

Click on the little tick marks on the task. The area is a bit small and you might go to the main dialogue by accident but just close it and try it again. It'll expand into a list.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pierzak posted:

When you create a new task, there's a panel for adding subtasks next to General and Dates. In the general board settings I've then gone and set that column to show the subtasks expanded by default, whereas they're collapsed by default in the other columns.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone I know is talking about working alongside Games Workshop on a new property of theirs.

I need articles and examples of just how lovely a company GW is to dissuade him because he is a nice person and I do not want to see him destroyed, annihilated down to the very last speck by a meat grinder of a company like GW.

Thank you!! :)

edit: his property, not GW's.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 17, 2015

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone I know is talking about working alongside Games Workshop on a new property of theirs.

I need articles and examples of just how lovely a company GW is to dissuade him because he is a nice person and I do not want to see him destroyed, annihilated down to the very last speck by a meat grinder of a company like GW.

GW is a pretty good company to deal with creatively.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

I hear New Line Cinema burned to the ground the moment they signed over their hobbits.

Games Workshop may make questionable corporate choices, but they are in the interest of making money and forwarding their IPs. If they want to buy up a concept off your friend, they're likely going to do it nicely as to not sully any upcoming reputation for their new property.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I really wish GW would stop piddling around with vehicles and get rid of the different armor/damage rules for vehicles. Either make all vehicles use vehicle rules or don't this mishmash of "oh this mech is a MC but this walker is a vehicle, but this huge drill tank is a MC" stuff is just dumb.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Can I ask why? I can't think of a single example where there isn't a rules justification for something to not be what it appears.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

CyberLord XP posted:

I really wish GW would stop piddling around with vehicles and get rid of the different armor/damage rules for vehicles. Either make all vehicles use vehicle rules or don't this mishmash of "oh this mech is a MC but this walker is a vehicle, but this huge drill tank is a MC" stuff is just dumb.

Yeah, the idea of a Dark Eldar poisoning a Riptide is... Well, it's kind of hilarious, unless it's another "Horrifying Tau Implication" that they are a subordinate race they bolted metal plates and missiles onto.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Plus Knights and contemptors are a good example of how walkers can work within the vehicle framework.

I can kinda see the justification for the riptide, Dreadknight and wraith knight being MCs... But the breaching drill is baffling.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The breaching drill is infantry for the purposes of assaulting.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Can I ask why? I can't think of a single example where there isn't a rules justification for something to not be what it appears.

Honestly it's just that I like things to streamlined and all fall under the same categories. The Dark Eldar thing above is a great example. They can poison a breaching drill? Really? And haywire grenades don't work on it? It's dumb how GW seems to arbitrarily assign things as MC's or vehicles and I wish it would just stop. Either make all of them MCs or all of them vehicles or have some sort of idea as to why they would be one or the other.

Examples:

Giant Eldar/Tau walkers: MCs
Giant Ork Walker: Vehicle
Dreadnaught: Vehicle
Dreadknight: MC
Literal Drill Tank: MC

No rhyme or reason to any of it. It just urks me. I may just be a grumpy old ham though, but it's something that has been bothering me ever since Wraithknight/Riptide came out. And with the Breaching Drill it's just silly.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The drill tank is infantry and has to be, it gets attached to infantry.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Hey ghetto wormhole, any chance you could track down Inquisitor Rex?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Why does it have to be?

EDIT: Like I get it has to be attached, but IMO that does not preclude it from being a vehicle (plenty of walker types in squads). It's also a dedicated transport with no transport capacity. For my nickle just make the breaching drill an actual transport, give it a tunneling rule, and make be able to tank shock for d6+2 Str 8 hits or whatever.

I'll let this die because I'll probably never see one in the wild so no idea why i'm venting.

CyberLord XP fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 17, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It has to be for the rules to function as-is.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Like why bother putting so much effort into writing, formatting, and space if it's just gonna end up as something that you'd have to be an idiot to take? Also in the same section they have incendiary shells for the Leman Russ battle tank that completely invalidate the Eradicator because they have the same stats as the Nova cannon with 12" longer range for 5 points less. And you could still choose to fire regular shells too.

The problem is that FW- and to a lesser degree GW- have no idea what value units have in game. And, by some arguments, simply don't care- "we are a miniatures company," blah blah blah. It's an attitude that does a lot of damage to the game and to the brand in general, I think, because people end up frustrated with units that they want to like and have cool models but are so bad as to be unusuable. You descriptions of stuff like "these elite assault units are savage and terrifying combatants that can tear through an enemy battalion to pieces in mere seconds" and then you glance at their stats and they're S4 T3 A1 or some nonsense like that.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

It has to be for the rules to function as-is.

But the rules don't have to be what they are. That's putting the cart before the horse.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
This is the simplest way to have a machine that allows you to tunnel underground to function. The rules don't 'have' to be what they are, but the other alternatives are worse.

CyberLord XP posted:

Why does it have to be?

EDIT: Like I get it has to be attached, but IMO that does not preclude it from being a vehicle (plenty of walker types in squads). It's also a dedicated transport with no transport capacity. For my nickle just make the breaching drill an actual transport, give it a tunneling rule, and make be able to tank shock for d6+2 Str 8 hits or whatever.

I'll let this die because I'll probably never see one in the wild so no idea why i'm venting.

As far as I know, the fact that walkers can be in squadrons does not change the fact that infantry have no method of forming a unit with a vehicle. The closest thing to this is Artillery, but even then the gun models are pretty much the same as the Drill Tank: High T, decent W non-vehicle models. Having it be a vehicle and Tank Shocking drastically changes how it functions.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 17, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

AbusePuppy posted:

The problem is that FW- and to a lesser degree GW- have no idea what value units have in game. And, by some arguments, simply don't care- "we are a miniatures company," blah blah blah. It's an attitude that does a lot of damage to the game and to the brand in general, I think, because people end up frustrated with units that they want to like and have cool models but are so bad as to be unusuable. You descriptions of stuff like "these elite assault units are savage and terrifying combatants that can tear through an enemy battalion to pieces in mere seconds" and then you glance at their stats and they're S4 T3 A1 or some nonsense like that.

Amen. Its worse when "tweaks" are clearly designed to sell models, which is simply frustrating.

Having said that, I do believe the newer codexes are pretty balanced. Necrons, for example, seem strong, but have taken some nerfs. Marines are pretty well rounded - there is spammability, but they aren't god-kings. Tau and Eldar are still very good but they're old Codexes.

I think the 7th ed ones are pretty drat good on the whole.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

AbusePuppy posted:

But the rules don't have to be what they are. That's putting the cart before the horse.

I don't trust ForgeWorld to properly define how to roll to wound against mixed toughness and armor value.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Touched up my first Canoptek Wraith I originally painted a few years back:

Two more updates and three new ones to go.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't trust ForgeWorld to properly define how to roll to wound against mixed toughness and armor value.

It could just be like it was before, when the Drill was a thing that moved near a squad but not actually part of it. That worked reasonably well.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Are you forgetting Dark Angels used to have a Landspeeder in their bike squadrons, and that the Thunderfire Cannon used to be a vehicle?
It's do-able, it always has been.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
The entire reason why it "used to be" is because it was a mess of rules and it's just easier this way. The current ruleset has no way to do such a thing and they have phased that concept out.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AbusePuppy posted:

It could just be like it was before, when the Drill was a thing that moved near a squad but not actually part of it. That worked reasonably well.

below is the answer to the riddle 'why are these GW rules written like this???'

they dont know what they doing

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

It's do-able, it always has been.

It's 'doable' in that it is not a physical impossibility. The current framework of the rules, however, doesn't have provisions for what you're describing.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

PierreTheMime posted:

Looks great, man. That's some really nice blue, and I'm digging the OSL.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The randomization of hits was clunky, but from a narrative point of view, it makes more sense than why a bigass drill tank has wounds, whereas a Demolisher or a Rhino has hull points and AV

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

PierreTheMime posted:

Love that blue man. Very rich.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The vehicle/MC thing has been a debate since 3rd edition when the Dreadnought remained armored and the Wraithlord was an unstoppable MC.

Taking 3 Wraithlords in 3rd edition was an unstoppable force and it was awesome.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
BULBASAUR
Have you used the Hammer of Olympia rite yet and how did it work out if you did, what did you run? I'm debating on Ebaying a bunch of tanks and such to make use of it, and does it work with the extra FoCs, I think it's Onslaught that let's you take 4 heavy supports

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
RoWs don't work with the optional detachments. I want to say the requirements for it are pretty easy (Compulsory Warsmith and an extra troop or something?) and it's pretty much all benefits from there.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

CyberLord XP posted:

For my nickle just make the breaching drill an actual transport, give it a tunneling rule, and make be able to tank shock for d6+2 Str 8 hits or whatever.

If this happened, every single games workshop / forge world employee would be smooshed to death by actual steamrollers driven by ork players.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I have that game against the newish necron player tonight and I'm still looking for advice on how to deal with quantum shielding without fielding multiple flyrants and crones if anyone has any!

Right now I'm probably going to try to do this:

+++ Tyanid 1 FMC (1250pts) +++

++ Tyranids: Codex (2014) (Combined Arms Detachment) (1250pts) ++

+ No Force Org Slot (75pts) +

Tyrannocyte (75pts) [5x Deathspitters]

+ HQ (425pts) +

Hive Tyrant (230pts) [Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms (15pts), Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms (15pts), Wings (35pts)]

Tervigon (195pts) [Scything Talons, Stinger Salvo]

+ Elites (145pts) +

Venomthrope Brood (45pts) [Venomthrope (45pts)]

Zoanthrope Brood (50pts) [Zoanthrope (50pts)]

Zoanthrope Brood (50pts) [Zoanthrope (50pts)]

+ Troops (335pts) +

Hormagaunt Brood (75pts) [15x Hormagaunt (75pts)]

Termagant Brood (160pts)
··20x Devourer Termagant (160pts) [20x Devourer (80pts)]

Tyranid Warrior Brood (100pts) [Barbed Strangler (10pts)]
··Tyranid Warrior (30pts) [Devourer, Scything Talons]

+ Fast Attack (60pts) +

Gargoyle Brood (60pts) [10x Gargoyle (60pts)]

+ Heavy Support (210pts) +

Biovore Brood (40pts) [Biovore (40pts)]

Exocrine (170pts)

I think the hormagaunts are a waste of points with only 15 bodies; with 30 they might absorb more than a single turn's worth of shooting, but 15 will probably die somewhere in turn 1. It's too late for me to build new models, so I can do this or either of the two lists in my previous post or something new with only those models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

drgnvale posted:

I have that game against the newish necron player tonight and I'm still looking for advice on how to deal with quantum shielding without fielding multiple flyrants and crones if anyone has any!

What you've posted has almost no chance to break QS save the Tyrant and Zoanthropes in Shooting or any MC getting into close combat (which likely won't happen). If you want to try getting some shooting to take it out, you could go with a Tyrannofex (though it's not a great buy), Hive Guard, or adding Venom Cannons to the Tyrannocyte. If you're going to field a Tervigon, you may as well go the extra 40pts and make it a Troop for ObSec, that way you can force your opponent to have to get their troops near your scary bug if they hope to score.

• Locked thread