Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

You really shouldn't have to do this, but does anyone know if you can just copy the game save file? That'd be a good protection against full wipe like that. That really sucks invictus, and no, iron rose, it really shouldn't delete everything losing power like that. I've killed my computer a few times while playing and it saved my progress mid fight perfectly. My game just crashes if I click or do anything while a level is loading.

How can I their a character is religious? Is it just the perks related to the Abbey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
I don't have the path handy (posted earlier in the thread, something like C:\users\USERNAME\Darkest\) - but there's a backup folder where your save is stored that should have your previous save. Just need to copy the files up one directory.

Theoretically...

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

How can I their a character is religious? Is it just the perks related to the Abbey?

Vestal, Crusader, Leper are the only base religious classes as far as I know and Abbey related perks can also make them religious.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harry Joe posted:

Vestal, Crusader, Leper are the only base religious classes as far as I know and Abbey related perks can also make them religious.

Yeah, the best theory I've seen is that those three classes are "religious" base, but other classes can be religious if they have the right quirks (flagellant, etc) and those three can lose that status if they have the wrong quirks (faithless).

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Good to know it's in the thread somewhere. I wonder if a system back-up restore would take you back in progress/ to having a party.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Does anyone know how buffs stack in this game? Can the same buff stack from different sources, such as two Vestals trying to bless a Leper at the same time? Do different buffs with the same effect stack? I want to know if I can pile enough buffs onto a Hellion to make her one-hit-kill everything in sight.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, all buffs stack and all blights and bleeds stack and all track their own timers independently. Stacking rules for debuffs don't seem to be consistent. Stuns don't stack at all (but the resultant stun resist buffs do).

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
That's like freaking out and being mad at the game when you have a hard drive failure. It's not the game's fault that the file got corrupted while that poo poo happens. It sucks but almost anything will explode when under that sort of situation.

Now, if the game itself crashed and didn't gracefully handle it, that'd be something to get angry at.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's cool that some stress going max can infact have the opposite result, and make characters become rightous and stronger than before. My plague doctor did that just now, when I was super worried since one of my dudes was on death's door. It's just cool in general how many different ways things can happen in this game. I feel like there's always a new status effect or buff to see.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, all buffs stack and all blights and bleeds stack and all track their own timers independently. Stacking rules for debuffs don't seem to be consistent. Stuns don't stack at all (but the resultant stun resist buffs do).

It's probably a bug, but I've noticed very rarely that a buff won't stack (particularly my Grave Robber's), and the same with debuffs being hit/miss on stacking.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's absolutely possible for a game dev to mitigate the effects of a power outage, it can make a new save, read it from the disk, validate that what was read is consistent, and then remove the old one. There's not really any excuse for that behavior. (A file getting corrupted can happen when the game isn't running, nothing they can do there, but if the power outage was during a normal save while playing there's no excuse.)

Also I'm sure the backer-only class can be edited in to your save if nothing else, not a huge deal.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Wait, so if I have a Hellion spam Adrenaline Rush while Plague Doctors throw their damage-bonus vapors at her over and over, she'll just continuously gain more and more damage bonus until the buffs start timing out?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, so if I have a Hellion spam Adrenaline Rush while Plague Doctors throw their damage-bonus vapors at her over and over, she'll just continuously gain more and more damage bonus until the buffs start timing out?

Should be, yeah. This is one reason the Jester's buff song is so powerful -- he can just spam it every round and the buffs stack and stack. Most buffs have fairly short ( 2-4 rounds at most) durations for this reason. The downside is that you're spending rounds buffing instead of attacking, and for *most* applications, that's a waste. For example, the Plague Doc's vapor bonus isn't normally worthwhile because you're probably losing more damage with the missed opportunity for an attack than you are gaining by giving the Hellion the bonus on the Hellions' next attack. Bounty Hunter's Mark has the same issue -- you lose more by having the BH mark for himself than you gain on the follow up attack (though that changes if the occultist marks, since the occultist's mark includes a damage component).

Real takeaway from this is that stacked camp buffs are really powerful.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 17, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Should be, yeah. This is one reason the Jester's buff song is so powerful -- he can just spam it every round and the buffs stack and stack. Most buffs have fairly short ( 2-4 rounds at most) durations for this reason.

Also means that camp buffs are really strong.

Vestal Acc Camp Buff + Leper's Acc Camp Buff = One Badass Leper

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

Vestal Acc Camp Buff + Leper's Acc Camp Buff = One Badass Leper

I think you mean Bounty Hunter Acc/Crit camp buff

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

As annoying as it was starting off a combat by eating two goblet of bullshit crits to my crusader, it was pretty cool that instead of making GBS threads his pants he went Courageous or something and started going HAM on the skeleton things. I didn't even know that was a thing, I'd been told it was just 100% stress and you go crazy
Wait until you get a bullshit chain of crits on the B-team you just took on a torchless trip for some extra portraits and ALL your team hit 100 stress on the same turn and they ALL succeed their roll and all get heroic afflictions like courageous, powerful, vigorous and focused. They will literally buff themselves with stuff like +15% damage, heal themselves as a free move from time to time, give themselves accuracy, speed and crits bonuses and reduces their stress just talking to each other. It's literally the best thing you can ever see in game and it's happening on a poo poo run, not when fighting a boss or on a long/hard run.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Does anyone else have issues with shovels not working properly? If I get a grave I can use the shovel no problem, but when I hit a blockage, it always acts as if I am without one and I take the huge stress hit and bit of damage. I tried reinstalling the game to no avail. I am assuming my save is messed up in some way but for now I'm just carrying no shovels in every dungeon and hoping I don't hit too many blockages.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

crowbb posted:

Does anyone else have issues with shovels not working properly? If I get a grave I can use the shovel no problem, but when I hit a blockage, it always acts as if I am without one and I take the huge stress hit and bit of damage. I tried reinstalling the game to no avail. I am assuming my save is messed up in some way but for now I'm just carrying no shovels in every dungeon and hoping I don't hit too many blockages.

You have to actually click the shovel icon.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Chard posted:

The same logic that means monsters are more surprised when you shuffle up to them with three burning torches in each hand

That's more of a "AAHHH MY UNHOLY EYES BURN AT THE LIGHT" thing, I assumed.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea if you hover over the buff icon it'll show your totals, it is pretty easy to check to see what you're at. I'd like to see duration on the skill maybe, but there is already a lot of info there so putting more might make it too dense. Planning out 12 time worth of camp buffs to make 1-2 guys a terror on the field is a strong strategy, but you'll find that you can only really do that with certain comps. For example, if you're doing crusader+vestral+plague doc then you have a lot of camp healing/de-stressing but not buffing, so plan your play accordingly.

Hieronymous lays out the issue of in combat buffing pretty accurately. I will say that depending on the enemy you're facing and what buffs you have going on already, it can be worth it to buff. Most classes self buffs are really situational, but buffs that you can cast on your party can get more play. Plague doc is a good example, if nothing needs a cure and the enemies have significant blight resist, you're better off buffing another damage guy than trying to blight them. Especially if you have all your camp buffs stacked on someone (say highwayman), spending other party members in-combat rounds buffing him more for a really big multi-target hit can be effective.

I started a new save that isn't using torches, and trying to keep guys a lot earlier than I was before. Week 10, got my A and B teams up currently, and over 3 weeks I can put together a newbie team that plunges through as I take an extra week cleaning up my main guys.

Based on how well this has worked out for me so far, I think we should also tell new players to try to build a team of 4 that have hit level 1 as they go through the early weeks. Once they're level 1, give them a week off and bench them until you unlock the guild and blacksmith. Unlock rank 2 skills and armor, upgrade their key skills (heal, single target damage, stun) and armor to rank 2. With that you should have a group that can make it through dungeons pretty consistently, and you can repeat the process as you build up another team. Use your A team when you can and preferably on medium+ length missions to keep your bank up (if you're really short of cash feel free to chuck heirlooms to carry more dollars).

On the topic of saves, I don't think priority gets placed on trying to make sure your edge-case "my computer crashed and messed up my save" gets handled gracefully. It'd be swell if they put in a back-up save that gets updated after each dungeon run to mitigate stuff like that, but it is a bit more complicated than you make it sound, and requires testing to make sure that it doesn't muck anything up (how pissed would you be if sometimes when loading the game it forgot your last in-game week progress).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ZypherIM posted:

Based on how well this has worked out for me so far, I think we should also tell new players to try to build a team of 4 that have hit level 1 as they go through the early weeks. Once they're level 1, give them a week off and bench them until you unlock the guild and blacksmith. Unlock rank 2 skills and armor, upgrade their key skills (heal, single target damage, stun) and armor to rank 2. With that you should have a group that can make it through dungeons pretty consistently, and you can repeat the process as you build up another team. Use your A team when you can and preferably on medium+ length missions to keep your bank up (if you're really short of cash feel free to chuck heirlooms to carry more dollars).

Level 1, or level 2? Level 1 gets reached so fast that I generally don't think pure level 1's are worth investing in unless you have cash to burn. Once you've got guys to level 2 yeah I think buying them key-point upgrades of specific skills can be a good idea. (On the Blacksmith front I'm still not sure whether armor or weapons are more important, and whether or not they're worth it before level 3).

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea I did level 1, which requires 1 successful dungeon win. The 2nd rank of skills and armor is a really big difference, while just being level 1 isn't a big difference. They're getting 5 accuracy 1 crit on attacks, stuns usually get 10% increase chance, and the upgrade on the heals is all solid. The increase dodge is useful over the course of the dungeon, though it won't win a given fight, and the HP increase makes it easier to spend rounds attacking instead of healing.

Keep in mind that a new player, or someone who got unlucky, might take a couple tries to beat dungeons with rank 0 guys. If they're provisioning following your suggestion, they should be able to work up enough cash to kit that first team out in fairly good time, and once they have that one squad they should be able to be beating a dungeon with them at least once every couple weeks. They'll probably also be clearing them with more leeway, instead of barely squeaking through with low health and high stress on the whole party.

Probably try to keep a bank of 5k+, and don't spend piecemeal really, sit your team until they can all get their stuff. If you think it'd help, we can come up with some sort of 'intro party setups', listing the classes in the positions and the general approach to fights with them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Skippy McPants posted:

I've done that, he still seems like a solid last place for front liners behind the Hellion and Crusader. No stun, no bleed, no movement abilities. He's tankier, for sure, but that doesn't seems to count for much in this game.
With lunge nerfed, he has pretty much the best AoE attack in the game now. It's just limited to the front two obviously.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hrm. I'll do a few playtests.

My concern is more that a level 1 character -- especially one managed by a new player who doesn't know quirks etc. that well yet -- can easily accrue a LOT of negative quirks before hitting level 2, and then you've got a lot of sunk costs in a hero that your probably need to dismiss anyway, just because of the backlog he'll create at the sanitarium.

Did we ever decide whether it was better to upgrade armor or weapon first?

Rascyc posted:

With lunge nerfed, he has pretty much the best AoE attack in the game now. It's just limited to the front two obviously.

Leper can be great in the right situation, he just lacks versatility and is screwed if he gets out of position, or if he has to hit the back two rows (i.e., hag fight, all other fights).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Leper would really benefit from some kind of taunt skill.

IMO a big thing that would help the game would be adding skills that helped let you control the fight. That lets them make enemies stronger too and more dangerous to be careless around.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Did we ever decide whether it was better to upgrade armor or weapon first?

It seems to me like that would be class based, no? Like, how much benefit is my Vestal going to get out of her weapon if I'm almost exclusively using her for healing and the occasional stun?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It seems to me like that would be class based, no? Like, how much benefit is my Vestal going to get out of her weapon if I'm almost exclusively using her for healing and the occasional stun?

Weapons give speed too, I think.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Speed base is tied to weapon. That said IIRC you only gain a point at level's 3 and 5 so armor is still a priority.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Anatharon posted:

IMO a big thing that would help the game would be adding skills that helped let you control the fight. That lets them make enemies stronger too and more dangerous to be careless around.

Taunts would probably be too powerful. A skill that let him absorb attacks made against another party member, or maybe gave the party +PROT, that could maybe work. I like the idea of giving his +self ACC buff a +1 Move Forward also.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Anatharon posted:

I think Leper can use Intimidate to shove frontline enemies back, can't he? Positioning is pretty important already, I'm not sure how well the current combat dynamic would hold up if you could force enemies to change their targeting after you move them where you want them. That said, the Crusader's self-targeted +protection skill would actually be really drat good if it, and skills like it, applied their protection to everyone behind the defending character as well. You could add some of that to the Leper's self-heal and he'd suddenly be an extremely good meat shield for a party with limited healing and/or lots of ranged damage.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Taunts would probably be too powerful. A skill that let him absorb attacks made against another party member, or maybe gave the party +PROT, that could maybe work. I like the idea of giving his +self ACC buff a +1 Move Forward also.

+PROT to characters behind the Leper (Or just the one behind the Leper)?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think Leper can use Intimidate to shove frontline enemies back, can't he? Positioning is pretty important already, I'm not sure how well the current combat dynamic would hold up if you could force enemies to change their targeting after you move them where you want them. That said, the Crusader's self-targeted +protection skill would actually be really drat good if it, and skills like it, applied their protection to everyone behind the defending character as well. You could add some of that to the Leper's self-heal and he'd suddenly be an extremely good meat shield for a party with limited healing and/or lots of ranged damage.

As far as I'm aware every enemy can attack every spot so the enemy's position doesn't really matter except for your attacks being able to hit things.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah, the problem with the Leper's push is that pushes are sortof inherently bad; they damage the wrong target, since you want to damage the back ranks; pulls are better. Plus front line opponents tend to have high Move resist anyway and you can't see the numbers for move resist.

Anatharon posted:

As far as I'm aware every enemy can attack every spot so the enemy's position doesn't really matter except for your attacks being able to hit things.

Enemy attacks have targeting limitations and position requirements, and enemies don't have basic move actions (though some have move forward and attack attacks). Push the front line enemies into the back (or pull the back ranks forward) and they often won't be able to use their best attacks. I've even made skeletons pass their turn because they were in the far back and couldn't do anything.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like intimidate for its debuff to accuracy as well as its pushback, but it is situational.

Anatharon posted:

A taunt that marks and shuffles/pulls would make a great leper skill, even if it did no damage. Make it mark the leper so he becomes the primary target (if that behavior actually works) as well as pulling the target into his range. A debut would be gravy.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Anatharon posted:

They have different attacks availiable from different positions. A bayonet jab is a lot less scary than a quarrel crossbow bolt is.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Does marking actually increase the enemies' odds to attack that character though? The tooltip, I think, says that it makes it likelier that they will take more damage, but in my limited experience mobs will still attack anyone they feel like, marked or not.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Also some melee enemies can't attack from spot 4 so if you pull a ranged dude to the front that neuters two enemies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dackel posted:

I think you mean Bounty Hunter Acc/Crit camp buff

Could have sworn the vestal had an Acc buff camp buff as well. You are right about the Bounty Hunter's though. Oh well.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Anatharon posted:

The brigand with the whip, bone defender, and cultist that does bleed attacks will all pass if they get shuffled into the last position. Arbolists will only do their bayonette jabs when moved up front, too. Controlling enemy position is one way you can mitigate damage from some of the hardest hitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Could have sworn the vestal had an Acc buff camp buff as well. You are right about the Bounty Hunter's though. Oh well.

He's mean the BH's camp buff is the really good one.