Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Yeah, start with a wavy noodle, put some constraints on whatever it hangs on and let it drop flat them side/animate the constraints closer together to get the curtain look.

basically you are taking a sheet, sim it so it drops then bunch the mounting points together to create the look. Save out the model and viola.

If it has to animate in a shot you can do all the sim prep in preroll or have the sim start at a precached point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

One last example of scanning from the Getty Villa.

Probably overkill on the polycount and texture resolution, considering the scan only consisted of 12 pics.

Recently, I saw a demo of Autodesk Fusion. I was pretty impressed and it looks like a fairly legit competitor to packages like Rhino. However, it is cloud based as far as I know and I refuse to use cloud based products (even though I realize that is where most of this stuff is going). Does anyone here have any strong feelings about Fusion one way or the other? I feel like if I am going to learn a NURBS based (engineering package) Rhino is best but Fusion did look pretty impressive from the demo.

... and yes, I know Adobe has gone cloud and Recap 360 is cloud based yadda yadda ... I just don't trust it.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Rhino is fun. I've been messing around with the OS X version (free while it's in beta, which knowing McNeel's development schedule will still be a while yet) and have become pretty decent at NURBS modeling in the process. Rhino is probably the friendliest CAD package for someone coming from a general 3D background, where something like SolidWorks is very much oriented toward a more engineering-based mindset.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Cyne posted:

Rhino is fun. I've been messing around with the OS X version (free while it's in beta, which knowing McNeel's development schedule will still be a while yet) and have become pretty decent at NURBS modeling in the process. Rhino is probably the friendliest CAD package for someone coming from a general 3D background, where something like SolidWorks is very much oriented toward a more engineering-based mindset.

Yeah - whereas I am an ACI (autodesk certified instructor), my brother is certified in Rhino. Time to pick his brain I think.

Fusion looks super cool but gently caress cloud based stuff.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

People still use nurbs? Like, as in NOT to just convert them to polys once you're done with them?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

This is a scan I took(well, my wife took of me) with the Structure Sensor using the iPad app "itseez3d", I'm so loving stupid though I can't load the .MTL (zbrush can't do it, and maya doesn't recognize it, and I'm not smart enough)... it's a photographic MTL, so it looks just like me when the texture on. But that screenshots shows what the actual mesh is like. Whenever I get un-lazy I'll take some 360 degree photos and try to compare Agisoft's (probably a million times better) to this laser sensor. I've yet to get "Skanect" to connect via wifi, so maybe using my PC's computing power can get more resolution, I'm not sure and I haven't read the loving manual at all.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

mutata posted:

People still use nurbs? Like, as in NOT to just convert them to polys once you're done with them?

Yeah. Why would you create panels with imperfections for any kind of product or vehicle?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

sigma 6 posted:

One last example of scanning from the Getty Villa.

Probably overkill on the polycount and texture resolution, considering the scan only consisted of 12 pics.

Recently, I saw a demo of Autodesk Fusion. I was pretty impressed and it looks like a fairly legit competitor to packages like Rhino. However, it is cloud based as far as I know and I refuse to use cloud based products (even though I realize that is where most of this stuff is going). Does anyone here have any strong feelings about Fusion one way or the other? I feel like if I am going to learn a NURBS based (engineering package) Rhino is best but Fusion did look pretty impressive from the demo.

... and yes, I know Adobe has gone cloud and Recap 360 is cloud based yadda yadda ... I just don't trust it.

Fusion is free for start-ups and non-commercial use and it's pretty good. I'm doing a fair amount of technical modelling for a hobby projects and while it's taken awhile to become familiar with me, it has really grown on me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah. Why would you create panels with imperfections for any kind of product or vehicle?

So here's maybe a question I should've asked in 3D Modeling 101 instead of several years into my career, but what's the difference between a smooth mesh preview versus NURBS modeling? Because I've modeled fancy cars and indes poo poo but it's always been smoothed polygons and I've never really had any issues.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

mutata posted:

So here's maybe a question I should've asked in 3D Modeling 101 instead of several years into my career, but what's the difference between a smooth mesh preview versus NURBS modeling? Because I've modeled fancy cars and indes poo poo but it's always been smoothed polygons and I've never really had any issues.

It's not smooth and controlled enough I suppose.
Hell, icem surf doesn't exist just for shits and giggles.
I design cars for a living and everywhere I've been uses alias and icem.
We spend months getting highlights perfect. Which always seemed kinda weird to me when tooling tolerances can't get near. Look at highlight rolls on door shuts etc for example.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

We spend months getting highlights perfect. Which always seemed kinda weird to me when tooling tolerances can't get near. Look at highlight rolls on door shuts etc for example.

Gotcha, makes sense. I never build for actual physical production, so NURBS in my circles are mostly the punchline to jokes. We used to make fun of Dreamworks in school because they were locked into a NURBS-based pipeline and were making feature films in NURBS. I'll stop poking fun at it... as much...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's something I did a while ago:

Based on a model from WoW.

Mostly trying out some volume rendering plugins for the real-time smoke and fire, which gets incredibly expensive quickly as it's CPU-bound. Apparently NVIDIA has a really good and fast GPU solution, hope the engines get to implement it.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 10, 2015

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

mutata posted:

Gotcha, makes sense. I never build for actual physical production, so NURBS in my circles are mostly the punchline to jokes. We used to make fun of Dreamworks in school because they were locked into a NURBS-based pipeline and were making feature films in NURBS. I'll stop poking fun at it... as much...

Disclaimer: This isn't exactly my area, but I'm a software engineer at Autodesk working on rendering CAD-y things -- I work on the path tracer that's in Fusion 360, for one -- so hopefully I have some vague notion of why the modeling works the way it works.

Far as I know there are a couple of reasons NURBS and other spline types are the thing in this domain. Some of these reasons are mostly historical, some not.
- CAD modeling is mostly constraint-based, where someone specifies that this or that curve or surface should be within this bound, or tangential to this circle or whatever. Figuring out how to fit the final model to a very large set of such constraints is doable with a parametric model, but almost impossible with a polygonal mesh.
- Relatedly, splines are very predictable and controlled. You can specify points that the surface or curve will always pass through, and the other elements define some sort of nice hull that your curve will definitely stay inside which makes it easy to obey mechanical constraints and ensure that all your various bits will fit together and can handle whatever forces the simulator says they can.
- In contrast, doing mesh subdivision moves your vertices around. You can actually get a perfectly smooth surface this way: the result of doing Catmull-Clark subdivision infinitely many times is well defined and you can evaluate that if you really want so it's not that a smoothed mesh is insufficiently smooth. The problem is that the result of doing that might to not look that much like the original mesh if it was roughly tessellated to start, and it definitely doesn't play nice with mechanical constraints.
- The amount of data required to accurately describe a surface with splines is very tiny, even compared to a reasonably tessellated mesh. Less important now, although still practical, but 10-20 years ago working on a complex mesh at manufacturing detail was too expensive to consider as I understand.

I guess the thing to remember is that most CAD programs started out as (and still are) mainly 2D-affairs intended to let engineers sketch the parts of a larger design in much the same way they sketched blueprints. Surface modeling of the sort that Alias and Fusion do is a newfangled and frightening concept to a bunch of people and still needs to interact nicely with the technical drawings.

I should also probably mention that Fusion uses T-splines rather than NURBS. The Fusion people tell me that NURBS are now old hat and everyone (here at the evil empire where we have the patent, presumably) should totally use their fancy T-splines everywhere. I just write the code that draws the pictures so it's all triangles to me, though.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Bape Culture posted:

Wait, are you saying you model cars super exactly so that when the door swings open or shut the pattern of highlights/reflections looks a certain way as it moves? Is this a Done Thing for all automakers? Do you optimize for a certain light angle or time of day? That's insane/amazing.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Do any of you guys do serious 3D work on a laptop? I'm going to grab a new computer this year, and I'm getting sick of always sitting in the same sweltering room. I think I'd be more productive if I could move around more, but I'm not sure if it's worth the drawback of not having a bunch of big screens.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
For what it's worth, I took a woodworking workshop once and the CNC mill they used to drill out the bowls in spoons and such used Rhino NURBs for input.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Do any of you guys do serious 3D work on a laptop? I'm going to grab a new computer this year, and I'm getting sick of always sitting in the same sweltering room. I think I'd be more productive if I could move around more, but I'm not sure if it's worth the drawback of not having a bunch of big screens.

I rendered some figures for a book chapter on a laptop over holiday once- it wasn't "serious" work by any means, but I found the bigger drawback was the hit on render times due to the weaker mobile processor than the lack of two screens.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
So long as you don't try and pretend you'll do any serious rendering on it you're fine. Save money on that part and just keep it for grunt work. You don't need a ridiculous laptop for it - you could get a mid range one to model on and an i7 desktop for less than a workstation laptop. Get them set up with distributed rendering and you've got the best of both for less.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

^^^ I use an i7 laptop with a decent Nvidia GPU and get most of my 3d done on it just fine. Unless you are doing huge scenes, it should be fine for modeling most assets. As long as you have a decent i7, Nvidia GPU and of course, lots of RAM!

This is pretty cool info but doesn't exactly address whether or not I should opt for Fusion or Rhino to learn. Fusion "seems" to have more advanced tech like T-splines but I am not familiar enough with either package to make an informed decision as to which one might be better.

Is Fusion meant to work in conjunction with Alias (sketch?) then? Draw the blueprints in Alias and then knock out the model in Fusion?

Still very turned off by the fact that I am forced to use "the cloud" when using Fusion. WTF Autodesk? If this is where all of your products are going, I am jumping ship.

Basically - I have made friends with some toy designers and craftsmen and they all use Rhino or want to use Rhino. I tried to convince them to use Zbrush but because of the need for real world measurements and engineering type tools, they are pretty biased.

I will say they let me use Zbrush to prototype a Frozen toy for Disney. Interesting getting a base mesh from a Rhino file (STL) and then modifying it in zbrush for final prototyping. Rhino is not good with organic shapes (like cloth) but it is VERY good for knocking out quick models from blueprints etc. It is used extensively in toy design and manufacturing apparently. Was trying to shoe horn Zbrush in their workflow but I was competing against a Rhino guy, so it got kind of weird when I was trying to convince them why Zbrush might be better.

Bottom line is that realworld output often requires engineering software. CAD software like AutoCAD and Solidworks used to be the standard but I think more and more people are inching towards Rhino or Fusion . . . especially smaller shops.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 11, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They author all of the Disney Infinity figurines in Zbrush, at least initially.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Disney did a great presentation at the zbrush summit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A36i_1kqhw0 , it gives some great insight into the 3D disney stuff.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

So long as you don't try and pretend you'll do any serious rendering on it you're fine. Save money on that part and just keep it for grunt work. You don't need a ridiculous laptop for it - you could get a mid range one to model on and an i7 desktop for less than a workstation laptop. Get them set up with distributed rendering and you've got the best of both for less.

That's an excellent idea, thanks.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Wait, are you saying you model cars super exactly so that when the door swings open or shut the pattern of highlights/reflections looks a certain way as it moves? Is this a Done Thing for all automakers? Do you optimize for a certain light angle or time of day? That's insane/amazing.

You optimize your highlights through panels. You don't swing the door over etc.
Basically all auto makers do it this way afaik.

You analyse with display modes like this:

And generally you model in modes like this, which show up any dips/imperfections etc

It's a brilliant piece of software if frustrating at times.

sigma 6 posted:

Basically - I have made friends with some toy designers and craftsmen and they all use Rhino or want to use Rhino. I tried to convince them to use Zbrush but because of the need for real world measurements and engineering type tools, they are pretty biased.

When I've worked with Hotwheels and other toy type people they've all used Alias still. I know one person in the industry who uses Rhino and it's only for hyper concept wheel designs.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
First use of the 3D painting tools in photoshop:

snucks fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 12, 2015

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Ohh - I see now. I was confused because Autodesk bought Alias / Wavefront a while back and here I thought Alias was the drawing program. It is actually a modeling tool, not a drawing tool. So then . . . how many NURBS packages does Alias ... ahem... Autodesk need? Doesn't Fusion do what Alias does then? Seems like their functionality would overlap a lot for industrial design.

The company I contracted for on the Frozen toy project was VERY small. They had one guy they had been working with for 10 years or more who was a Rhino guy, so they were naturally biased towards it.

If I really wanted to, I could model NURBS in maya but it is kind of a pain IMO. The boolean operations in Rhino (and I assume Fusion etc.) work much better.

Regardless, the stuff about car manufacturing is fascinating.

RizieN: Thank you for that link! Zack Petroc is some sort of zbrush god. A nice guy too!

Since I believe the toy has already been released, I will go ahead and post a render of the toy set.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 12, 2015

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

2hr speed model

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The top section looks nice. The main body looks pretty soft and squishy.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

SynthOrange posted:

The top section looks nice. The main body looks pretty soft and squishy.

Remember the top components are formed steel, while the frag section is unfinished cast iron. I think a nice pitted texture would drive it home.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Just get a external monitor.

For my adventures in Vancouver, I took a HP Zbook with me equipped with an I7/32GB and a quadro card and it generally keeps up with my workstation in most tasks.

I'm renting a furnished condo which has 3 tvs so I wound up hijacking the flat panel in the kitchen and using it as a 2nd display with a display port to HDMI adaptor. It's only 1080 lines of resolution but hey, more screen space.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Handiklap posted:

Remember the top components are formed steel, while the frag section is unfinished cast iron. I think a nice pitted texture would drive it home.

I was going to say the same thing, the casing is cast iron. No point in machining smooth edges for that purpose which is to have a cheap, mass produced weapon.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I have a question I doubt anyone will be able to answer but here goes:

Is there a way to adjust the mapping of a material that uses Object XYZ other than selecting the sub object element and moving it around?

I'm trying to adjust the wood grain texture from a procedural but it's very time consuming to have to clone original>sub object select element>move>align with original>delete original for every object I want to adjust.

Here's a helpful gif to illustrate:

Is there an easier way to do this? I hoped xform was something like this, but it isn't afaik.

edit: 3ds max also :reject:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 12, 2015

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Handiklap posted:

Opinions? I applied a noise modifier above the turbosmooth to give it the effect.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Kanine posted:

Opinions? I applied a noise modifier above the turbosmooth to give it the effect.

The cheap metal has perhaps a bit too much frequency in the noise tab and is missing a bit of resolution if you want to output it at that size. I'd rather use a displacement map at that point instead of using mesh deformation to give myself more detail while keeping proper subdivisions that don't turn into overkill.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

sigma 6 posted:

If I really wanted to, I could model NURBS in maya but it is kind of a pain IMO. The boolean operations in Rhino (and I assume Fusion etc.) work much better.

Yeah Maya's NURBS toolset is super clunky compared to a proper CAD package like Rhino. Even basic things like edge fillets and booleans are really annoying and awkward.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

drat straight. NURBS in Maya sucks. I am always amazed when people (mostly older modelers) can model decent characters with NURBS patches. Original Spiderman was all NURBS I believe. Also the T-Rex in Jurassic Park etc. etc.
Was hoping Rhino and / or Fusion would have much better tools and judging by the Fusion demo I saw, they definitely do.
The fillets in Fusion are pretty awesome, and somewhat interactive. Really, I am just looking for the FASTEST way to model hard surface objects from blue prints and yes, they will probably be brought into zbrush later and converted to poly.

TIA!

Regarding the grenade:

Not sure why you can't use a normal map (or displacement) for the noise on the grenade. Remember that less can be more with these things. Too much bump typically looks pretty bad. Right now it looks like you have too much bump on the bottom part and not enough on the top. The contrast looks a little weird. Unless it is a mirror, glass, or polished metal, EVERYTHING should have bump. Even if it is very, very slight. Consider tiny scratches, dents, pock marks etc. Above all, look at your reference!
Notice there is some VERY slight bump here with the aluminum(?) at the top.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 13, 2015

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
The first Batman movie the batmobile was modelled in NURBS. I know this because I had to take a NURBS modeling class in school with an instructor that made it, and it was loving awful.

Seriously, poly modeling is absurdly faster than NURBS modeling for me, especially Maya. I had to make a toaster and a motorcycle in NURBS and it was a grueling process full of broken tools and techniques.

I'm sure there are programs out there that do it faster than Maya, but honestly subdivision surfaces are easy enough to master and what can't be done with that easily can be booleaned and cleaned up.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ceebee posted:

The first Batman movie the batmobile was modelled in NURBS. I know this because I had to take a NURBS modeling class in school with an instructor that made it, and it was loving awful.

Seriously, poly modeling is absurdly faster than NURBS modeling for me, especially Maya. I had to make a toaster and a motorcycle in NURBS and it was a grueling process full of broken tools and techniques.

I'm sure there are programs out there that do it faster than Maya, but honestly subdivision surfaces are easy enough to master and what can't be done with that easily can be booleaned and cleaned up.

Both have their places and advantages. None of the nurbs models are done with Maya's poo poo nurbs tools that's for sure.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
image dump

whoops ignore the awful colors on the first one. didn't make any masks so that's just the mulch I was messing with

e:

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 17, 2015

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Today I have mostly been making voxel ships.

It's not high enough res, I want it double or even quadruple so it almost just looks like a pixelated ship instead of voxelized ship. I think I need to get the program makers to implement a smaller grid size for this though, or cut my model up and re-weld in max. Also texture is just slapped on to make the program not crash.

edit: fixed it

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 17, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Love this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I just learned me 4 point tracking in Blender yesterday, for this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700850

My result is this:

Which is, eh, good enough for a funny gif thread.

I just followed the procedure that was in "every" tutorial: track the corners in the video, convert the tracks to empties, hook the 4 corners of a plane to the empties, texture the plane.

Anyway, I had a couple of problems with animating the corners. In the latter half of the thing, one of the corners of the paper is outside the frame:

I just eyeballed the first, last and some keyframe in the middle somewhere. But I was wondering if it is possible to just set the position of the empty in the first frame and then add a modifier or something that moves the corner in the same direction as one of the other points. Or maybe something that moves it by the average movement of the three other empties?

I thought that it could be good enough for that kind of video where there is just a little bit of camera movement.

Followup question:

The top of the paper deforms at one point in the video. I thought that maybe an edit could blend in better if it followed the deformation. So I could subdivide the plane and maybe add new empties in the middle points and hook the vertices there to the empties. But I don't want to animate all the middle points, so is it possible to have all the uninteresting middle points take the average position of the corner points? Does this even make sense or have I just found a hammer and everything looks like a nail now?