Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
The boat was still in the driveway, when Saul and the female lawyer talked about the sex robot. You can see it in the background, so it wouldn't make much sense for the kettlemans to hide in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eezee posted:

The boat was still in the driveway, when Saul and the female lawyer talked about the sex robot. You can see it in the background, so it wouldn't make much sense for the kettlemans to hide in there.

Haha, I kept wondering if there was supposed to be another boat or if the boat disappeared or reappeared inbetween scenes, because I was confused why people kept talking about the missing boat when it was so plainly there in that scene.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It seemed like such a no-brainer, after Jimmy's big long speech explaining the whole situation and his very incriminating part in it to the ladylawywer right in front of the boat.

I'm glad they didn't go that way with it, though. I wonder if it was an intentional fake-out or they originally planned it that way and decided not to, or if it was just "their stupid boat is a big part of how smug and horrible yet astonishingly stupid these assholes are so it comes up a lot" but was never intended as like.. Chekhov's Yacht.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hailthefish posted:

It seemed like such a no-brainer, after Jimmy's big long speech explaining the whole situation and his very incriminating part in it to the ladylawywer right in front of the boat.

I'm glad they didn't go that way with it, though. I wonder if it was an intentional fake-out or they originally planned it that way and decided not to, or if it was just "their stupid boat is a big part of how smug and horrible yet astonishingly stupid these assholes are so it comes up a lot" but was never intended as like.. Chekhov's Yacht.

I think the point of them camping is that Saul did some investigative work (noticing the tent decal) and combined with the big hike he does until night, he's working very hard.

There are some things that are off ("Here's Johnny!") but it's not like the first season of BB didn't have some rough moments.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
He was working hard because his life was on the line. You all are making me feel bad because I never even noticed any boat and came into the thread and everyone's like "haha, no boat."

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
As if these guys would really pass up the opportunity to have Saul wandering the Albuquerque high desert. In Breaking Bad, they featured the desert easily because Walt had to cook meth, bury money, bury bodies, or meet with criminals in isolated places. Saul will have fewer opportunities unless he's going to be kidnapped a lot.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The tent will be his new office.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

monster on a stick posted:

There are some things that are off ("Here's Johnny!") but it's not like the first season of BB didn't have some rough moments.

Saul loves a good movie quote and has been using them all season

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Next week, Jimmy's going to have a full set of stickers for Mike. That, or the $9.

Anyway, I need a link to the podcast that's not iTunes, help? How did the previous goon find those other ones? Man, I wish they were just on AMC's website still. :argh:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I don't know, I thought it was funny and very much in character. As much trouble as they've caused for him, I sure he wanted to say something to scare the poo poo out of them when he popped in. I think it'd popped into a lot of people's minds, even.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Next week, Jimmy's going to have a full set of stickers for Mike. That, or the $9.

Anyway, I need a link to the podcast that's not iTunes, help? How did the previous goon find those other ones? Man, I wish they were just on AMC's website still. :argh:

Here you go.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You are wonderful, thank you.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

1. Mike said "nobody likes to leave home"-- maybe we'll learn something about why he left Philadelphia.

I was thinking that too as soon as he said it. And perhaps we'll find out what tragic thing happened to his son (which I think was only written in after Jonathan Banks told Gilligan "that's not Mike's daughter" when he saw the actress who plays Kaylees mom. Lol, JB calling the shots! :allears:).

And yeah, that grimace when the young detective touched him was great. Perhaps he has friends on the ABQ force but those two were pretty patronizing.

I would agree with the few people who said the writing is a little flatter than BB, but doesn't mean I don't love it, and it's better than most TV out there. Also, it's just so much more linear compared to BB since we are basically following just Jimmy's arc VS Walt/Jesse/Hank/etc. I like that, and it feels fun to root for one guy who's moral compass still functions. I'll admit I've been tense a few times for Jimmy, even though I know he makes out of even BB alive. That's a sign of some great writing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Saul makes 700 dollars a case. I assume most of its already taxed so he's depositing a full 700 dollars probably every week or so, sometimes multiple times a week considering how some cases may stack up next to one another. He drives a beater with no monthly payments, probably lives in a cheap apartment, has no dependents, and already seems to be established in life with a wardrobe, food, and a phone.

So how the gently caress does he never have 9 dollars to pay Mike?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Doltos posted:

Saul makes 700 dollars a case. I assume most of its already taxed so he's depositing a full 700 dollars probably every week or so, sometimes multiple times a week considering how some cases may stack up next to one another. He drives a beater with no monthly payments, probably lives in a cheap apartment, has no dependents, and already seems to be established in life with a wardrobe, food, and a phone.

He's also supporting Chuck, paying for his groceries. Also, the PD work is probably not very reliable, as there may be days or weeks that he does not have a full finished case, as the $700 is for every part of the case, the arraignment, the trial, and probably also the bail hearing. This does not all happen in one day or one week.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doltos posted:

He's supporting his brother, they go over this in the first or second episode where Jimmy says he can't support both of them anymore.

edit: beaten

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Interstitial Abs posted:

I would agree with the few people who said the writing is a little flatter than BB, but doesn't mean I don't love it, and it's better than most TV out there. Also, it's just so much more linear compared to BB since we are basically following just Jimmy's arc VS Walt/Jesse/Hank/etc. I like that, and it feels fun to root for one guy who's moral compass still functions. I'll admit I've been tense a few times for Jimmy, even though I know he makes out of even BB alive. That's a sign of some great writing.

Once Mike exits the toll booth, I think he'll have a bigger part in the show. I also wonder if we'll see Mike have an arc as well - in Philly, he was disgraced because he took out someone abusing his wife - not great but not what I'd call a "dirty cop" either. He's clearly OK with working for drug dealers and the like by BB, so something happened.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Once Mike exits the toll booth, I think he'll have a bigger part in the show. I also wonder if we'll see Mike have an arc as well - in Philly, he was disgraced because he took out someone abusing his wife - not great but not what I'd call a "dirty cop" either. He's clearly OK with working for drug dealers and the like by BB, so something happened.

We don't know if that is the reason.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

in Philly, he was disgraced because he took out someone abusing his wife - not great but not what I'd call a "dirty cop" either.

Are you sure about this? He let that guy go and the guy killed his wife. I think that's all we know.

edit: beaten again, need to hone my posting knife

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Last Chance posted:

Are you sure about this? He let that guy go and the guy killed his wife. I think that's all we know.

edit: beaten again, need to hone my posting knife

I could've sworn that when Mike told that story in Breaking Bad he said he went after the guy again later.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mike doesn't outright say that he killed the guy, but the context of that conversation implies he could have taken a full measure later, I guess.

I don't know, perhaps we'll just have to keep "tuning in" to Better Call Saul each Monday night to find out?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Wade Wilson posted:

I could've sworn that when Mike told that story in Breaking Bad he said he went after the guy again later.

quote:

He relates that at one point, he had to deal with a domestic dispute issue between a husband and wife. The man would beat his wife continually and Mike would have to take the man away to the precinct jail for the night and then send him back home in the morning, since the woman wouldn't press charges. During one of these instances, Mike became particularly enraged by the man's abuse, so he took him out to the desert, beat him, and held a gun to his head, threatening to kill him if he ever beat his wife again. However, weeks later, the man killed his wife by bludgeoning her with a blender base. It is implied that Mike eventually killed the man and, though he could not be convicted for the murder, he was discharged from the force

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't think it was implied that Mike eventually killed the guy and was discharged from the force.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

[citation needed]

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I don't know, that is from Wikia, after all. Pretty solid stuff.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Who the hell wears shoes in a tent? These people are monsters.

Also, the girl is laughing.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIG7VvngUK4

He says that he'll never take another half measure again after that, but he doesn't say whether he killed the guy or not during that speech. Maybe he said it somewhere else.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

MrBims posted:

[citation needed]

The great sandy desert of Lancaster County.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Doltos posted:

I always took it as the principle of the stickers, rather than not actually having enough to pay him. He worked long enough that day to earn the correct amount of stickers even if he wasn't given them, and this nobody tool booth dude should cut him a break already.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

He's clearly OK with working for drug dealers and the like by BB, so something happened.

Wait... poo poo, ya'll may have covered it, and I'm an idiot for not realizing it, this but this opens the door for a Gus cameo. Because it seems that their relationship was firmly established by the time Walt is cooking.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
did anyone else get the feeling that the dad was searching around for a weapon, i thought he was doing that with his hand when it was on the ground to the right of him.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ghostwritingduck posted:

He says that he'll never take another half measure again after that, but he doesn't say whether he killed the guy or not during that speech. Maybe he said it somewhere else.

I think it's heavily implied that he didn't, which is why he said "no more half measures". He took a half measure by beating the guy up and threatening him, but he regrets not following through. It was an example for Walt to follow, so Mike not having killed the guy would make the most sense.

Not to say he definitely didn't, but it's most likely that he didn't.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Interstitial Abs posted:

Wait... poo poo, ya'll may have covered it, and I'm an idiot for not realizing it, this but this opens the door for a Gus cameo. Because it seems that their relationship was firmly established by the time Walt is cooking.
He didn't know Gus at all before Walt started working for him. He just knew of him.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

misguided rage posted:

He didn't know Gus at all before Walt started working for him. He just knew of him.

Think he's talking about Mike, who definitely knew Gus.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Saul's phrasing was that he knew a guy (Mike) who knew a guy (???) who knew another guy (Gus). That suggests Mike hadn't met Gus directly yet, unless there was one less degree of separation than Saul thought.

We're introduced to Mike as Saul's guy, and later find out he's also Gus's guy, but it's never made explicit how long that's been the case. Could have been going on for a long time, could be a relatively new development.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I always assumed Saul was bullshitting with the "I know a guy who knows a guy" stuff and just threw that out to keep himself one or two steps removed from that stuff and from being thought of as a major player.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

Saul's phrasing was that he knew a guy (Mike) who knew a guy (???) who knew another guy (Gus). That suggests Mike hadn't met Gus directly yet, unless there was one less degree of separation than Saul thought.

We're introduced to Mike as Saul's guy, and later find out he's also Gus's guy, but it's never made explicit how long that's been the case. Could have been going on for a long time, could be a relatively new development.

Yeah, I mean in my mind Mike knew Gus before Walt met any of them.

And Right.. It's a little ambiguous the way the dialogue is written, but I could see Mike not disclosing his connection to Gus to Saul untill it was necessary. He also did threaten to break Saul's legs, for Gus. Kind of points to who was really buttering his toast.

Also, did Saul and Gus even ever have a scene together in BB? I am not recalling one. Just Saul's crippling fear of Gus.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Mike was the "head of security" for all of Los Pollos, you don't just hire a dude off the street to be the main enforcer for your growing meth empire. We may see the beginning of that relationship here in BCS but Mike definitely had a few years with Gus under his belt before we meet him in BB. I suspect it's a slight plot hole that he was running around doing poo poo for Saul like cleaning up the Jane OD, that was originally supposed to be Saul himself but Odenkirk was unavailable so they just made up some cleaner guy for that one scene. Then they ended up bring him back towards the end of season 3 and the rest is history.

On an unrelated note, some people in the BB threads said there was some benefit for mirroring the podcasts in DropBox because Sony won't let you stream the files or something. If that's still the case I can try and keep up with getting each podcast mirrored as it's released. Here's the first two:

BCS 101 Uno Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 102 Mijo Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mike working for Gus always seemed a little weird because then what the hell is he doing slumming it as a cleaner for Saul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Perhaps if there's ever a prequel show to Breaking Bad we'll find out the answers to these questions...

• Locked thread