Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Has no one reccomended Sandman or Lucifer yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

There are a million different books you could recommend over a ton of genres with the simple fact of "do you like to read books with pictures in them".

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Captain Invictus posted:

'Tis good, though maybe condense it down to a couple of images and two paragraphs or so. It's good to have a lengthy description for something, but the thread is more about catching someone's attention to something, and I've found that lengthy posts about a series, especially on SA, tend to make people disinterested for some reason. Give'em something to whet their appetite and to look for more.

Also, links to where you can purchase these series would be helpful.

Edited it down a little bit. It hurts, as I could talk about Hawkguy for hours. But I did it. Also threw in a Comixology link.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Any Brits of a certain age will surely be sad to hear that Brett Ewins has died. He's had a tough old life the past few years and it's sad to see him go.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Question for the thread, what's the most obnoxious running gag in comics. For me it's the "'THING' is actually my mutant/super power." response.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 17, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Squirrel Girl.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Soonmot posted:

Has no one reccomended Sandman or Lucifer yet?
Or Terry Moore's works (Strangers in Paradise, Echo, Rachael Rising)

Or Bone

Or The Plain Janes

Or (maybe) Preacher

Or WE3

Or Black Hole

or Daytripper

or An Elegy for Amelia Johnson

or Anya's Ghost

or Blankets

or

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 17, 2015

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Love & Rockets. That other or is Love & Rockets.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Question for the thread, what's the most obnoxious running gag in comics. For me it's the "'THING' is actually my mutant/super power." response.

Characters referencing the insanity of their own world. Not just in the Deadpool 4th wall breaking sense, but stuff like every time someone mentions "Man we sure do die and come back a lot" (I think there was some comic that particularly made a reference to this in regards to the X-Men) or whenever Wolverine gets stabbed and everyone goes "Oh he'll be fine (turn to camera, wink)". I think people in Justice League and Green Lantern have mocked Hal Jordan's uncreative constructs. Any non-Batman-book takes place in Gotham City, a fight breaks out and a character goes "Where's Batman?" Just stuff like that.

I won't lie, I find it funny sometimes, but it's definitely overplayed.

And that's a gag. If you mean obnoxious non-comedy trend in comics, I'd definitely say power creep/power seep. I mean, Batman's an almost regular (though quite rich) detective in his comic, then joins up with the Justice League and becomes a god (although I'm sure somebody will bring up his red-sun gloves in the recent Batman arc as a counterpoint). Dr. Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme, the master of magic in his world, but when he hangs with the Avengers, he turns into a joke.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The "COMICS, EVERYBODY!" thing is really annoying, both in and out of the text. I mean yes, there are definitely ridiculous things that deserved to be mocked that have been published in comics. And I'll even put up with well-placed "hey remember that one crazy thing that happened [in some comic from twenty years ago], that was pretty crazy!"

But there's an entire cottage industry online of tortured "and then and then GET THIS GUYS, another super wacky thing in the history of Quicksilver! What a world! COMICS, EVERYBODY!" low-info crap that either a) really strains to describe something in the silliest way possible or b) bends over backward to cram some unimportant cul-de-sac of the character's history into trying to prove WHAT A WEIRD CHARACTER AND INDUSTRY THIS IS.

The absolute worst is the sort of thing that I find Matt Fraction does (marginally) well and guys like Spencer and Kot do horribly, which is set up an absurd situation in the book they are writing and then have the characters go "my oh my, this is an absurd situation we are in! Do you realize that we're on a boat with a Norse God and a man who was frozen in a block of ice and the boat is made out of a shape-changing alien and maybe we're sitting on his dilz right now? And the boat is on an alien planet! We got teleported here by a giant teleporting dog! What is up with teleporting dogs, I don't even! And that dog just made a Grumpy Cat face, that's gonna be all over Tumblr tomorrow! And the planet is called Melmac! Like on the ALF tv show! What are the goddamn odds we're on a planet named after the planet from ALF? AND OH MY LORD THE NATIVES OF THIS PLANET LOOK LIKE ALF. WHAT ARE THE CRAZY CRAZY ODDS, THIS SURE IS CRAZY CAN YOU BELIEVE WE EVEN GOT AWAY WITH THIS REFERENCE IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 2015 I'M NOT SAYING WE DESERVE A MEDAL FOR THIS BUT WE KIND OF DESERVE A loving MEDAL ARE WE CRAZY OR WHAT

Okay now let's get real serious when we pretend we really killed off Doctor Druid.

MAN I'M JUST loving WITH YOU, WHO CARES ABOUT DOCTOR DRUID? LOL. THAT'S RIGHT I'M AN AVENGER AND I LITERALLY SAID THE WORLD LOL WITHIN MY REAL WORLD

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 17, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, everything sounds ridiculous when you don't provide context. If you actually read a story, it'll usually turn out to make logical sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People say lol all the time now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm saying lol right now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dog Cops is a good running gag though. It often makes me lol.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TwoPair posted:

Characters referencing the insanity of their own world. Not just in the Deadpool 4th wall breaking sense, but stuff like every time someone mentions "Man we sure do die and come back a lot" (I think there was some comic that particularly made a reference to this in regards to the X-Men)
The worst of this was in Incredible Hulk where 90s cool dude Rick Jones loses his girlfriend and hogs an entire comic just for his many adventures visiting Doctor Strange and the Fantastic Four to have emotional breakdowns at their houses begging for them to help him bring her back from the dead because they've come back from the dead.

To boot, hilariously ham-handed pop culture references by a professional hermit in his fifties.

She ends up coming back from the dead, of course.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

icantfindaname posted:

It's a shame the box set is like $300 and only like two thirds of it are in good quality on scanlation sites with the rest being 200x200 images edited in MS Paint, translated to Korean first then to English. Apparently it starts really dragging after Cell saga, so maybe it's for the best

It's about 220 for the VizBig collections and if you want to read the best part it's only about 90, also the Buu stuff is still really good just not nearly as good as DB/DBZ up to Frieza.

I literally just finished reading the whole thing a couple months ago, it's dope. Do it.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I would honestly say the first few arcs of Invincible really appeal to a broader audience. I don't know the best stopping point, though, because gently caress that series today.

Front cover of issue one. I tried rereading the early stuff, up to the fight with Nolan, because I had fond memories of that, and it's awful jank from word go. It's not as bad as it gets later on but ho-lee poo poo it's Robert Kirkman as gently caress.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 17, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Front cover of issue one. I tried rereading the early stuff, up to the fight with Nolan, because I had fond memories of that, and it's awful jank from word go. It's not as bad as it gets later on but ho-lee poo poo it's Robert Kirkman as gently caress.

I pretty much lost interest when he threw his first punch and a ton of gore came flying out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I pretty much lost interest when he threw his first punch and a ton of gore came flying out.

That stuff is basically why I can't take his whining about why he left Marvel seriously. It comes off as a guy who threw a tantrum when an actual editor asked him to maybe NOT have the gay kid shown beaten to a bloody pulp, instead of letting the artist just imply it.

Yes, you get stuff like Ares being killed in Siege, but those things tend to be saved for big events, rather than the commas Kirkman uses it as.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
For comic recommendations, you can't go wrong with Comixology's own "New to Comics" page: https://www.comixology.com/New-to-comiXology-Start-Here/page/502 . It's a nice mix of superheros, vertigo-style high concept series, and licensed comics. All sorts of different genres. Both ongoing and limited series.

That list's major flaw is it's missing autobiographical comics, which are a huge genre of american comic books. Here are a few of my favorites.

Persepolis - A girl grows up in Iran. She witnesses revolution, war, and religious extremism, but is at all times still just a child trying to navigate her world, and illicitly obtain American music and fashion.

Buddy Does Seattle - A disgusting slacker lives in Seattle with his disgusting roommates, just as the grunge era was inventing itself. The series starts off pretty drat silly, with Bazooka Joe level jokes, but eventually builds to some emotionally trying moments.

Autobiographical comics do have their own lovely and generic tropes that are trod out again and again. Most comics are some variation of this:

But if that really interests you, read Joe Matt's Spent. (Which I absolutely love, but would only recommend with reservations.)

I would include Maus on this list (which is an all-ages book, I don't care what anyone says), but I couldn't do it justice. It is the comic medium in high form, in style and content.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, MIRAGE (1984) and IDW (2011)

"Four turtles. Four brothers. Genetically reborn in the sewers of New York. Named after the Renaissance masters and trained as ninjas." ~ TMNT, 2007

Originally conceived as an homage to the grim tones of Daredevil and Ronin, and the mutability of New Mutants and Cerebus, over the past 30 years, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have made the most of their bombastic, self-explanatory name. What began as an independent comic book published by Mirage Studios in 1984, Playmates Toys and Fred Wolf Films helped develop into a worldwide phenomenon. And, while most of humanity might be more familiar with the goofy charm of the 1987 cartoon, after three subsequent television series, six movies, a live stage show, video games, fruit pies, an interminable action figure line, t-shirts, bath towels, keychains, cereal, water bottles, and anything else that could have possibly had their visage plastered on it, Leonardo, Michaelangelo (sic), Donatello, and Raphael are still at their best in understated black and white.

The original comic book series created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird has gone through multiple reprints, though previously only the first few arcs and stand-outs like Michael Zulli's Soul's Winter had been collected. Current editions of the original run are available through IDW Publishing, who also publish a monthly series that pulls content from all previous iterations and streamlines it into a new, more coherent universe, and a second monthly title based on the most recent cartoon, now in its third season on Nickelodeon. Personally, I recommend these five collections of the Mirage title that debuts with the origin, builds to the Turtles' final confrontation with The Shredder in Return to New York, and ends with the epic 13-issue City At War storyline that had Eastman and Laird return to the book after nearly 30 issues of questionable canon. The IDW series is also highly recommended, and has a much more straightforward reading order. As of this writing, it is around 80 issues in length, including all mini-series and one-shots, and can be found here on Comixology, starting with a free #1.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Question: Do the IDW turtles kill like the Mirage turtles? That affects my feelings about the current series and my desire to read it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Question: Do the IDW turtles kill like the Mirage turtles? That affects my feelings about the current series and my desire to read it.

Not yet, but they keep talking about how they might have to.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Not yet, but they keep talking about how they might have to.

Ehhh...it shouldn't be that much of a problem, but close enough, I guess. Heroes should just kill and not care.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

lifg posted:

For comic recommendations, you can't go wrong with Comixology's own "New to Comics" page: https://www.comixology.com/New-to-comiXology-Start-Here/page/502 . It's a nice mix of superheros, vertigo-style high concept series, and licensed comics. All sorts of different genres. Both ongoing and limited series.

That list's major flaw is it's missing autobiographical comics, which are a huge genre of american comic books. Here are a few of my favorites.

Persepolis - A girl grows up in Iran. She witnesses revolution, war, and religious extremism, but is at all times still just a child trying to navigate her world, and illicitly obtain American music and fashion.

Buddy Does Seattle - A disgusting slacker lives in Seattle with his disgusting roommates, just as the grunge era was inventing itself. The series starts off pretty drat silly, with Bazooka Joe level jokes, but eventually builds to some emotionally trying moments.

Autobiographical comics do have their own lovely and generic tropes that are trod out again and again. Most comics are some variation of this:

But if that really interests you, read Joe Matt's Spent. (Which I absolutely love, but would only recommend with reservations.)

I would include Maus on this list (which is an all-ages book, I don't care what anyone says), but I couldn't do it justice. It is the comic medium in high form, in style and content.

A lot of autobiographical comics do deal with people growing up so yes, those things mentioned in the above comic do happen a lot. There isn't a problem with that, unless you by a comic that's also a coming of age story and you get infuriated that it deals with things that happen in coming of age stories.
Other pro-autobio comics would be Fun Home and and Blankets. Highly recommend those.

And talking of Blankets, Habibi is another awesome comic book that should be recommended.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Madkal posted:

A lot of autobiographical comics do deal with people growing up so yes, those things mentioned in the above comic do happen a lot. There isn't a problem with that, unless you by a comic that's also a coming of age story and you get infuriated that it deals with things that happen in coming of age stories.

I think it becomes a problem when it appears so frequently it becomes a tired trope. "True life" shouldn't be an excuse for bad storytelling.

Ooh, another type of comic that's good for non-comic fans are those weird slice-of-life comics, the ones that are just left of normal, like Black Hole and American Born Chinese. Those two deal with STDs in teenagers and Chinese immigration/assimilation, respectively, and do so using comics to their fullest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't get an autobiography expecting good storytelling.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
American Born Chinese is really good and a great introduction to Gene Luen Yang. He also writes Avatar the Last Airbender comics and is soon going to be writing Superman which is crazy.

EDIT:

Aphrodite posted:

Uhhhh why not?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

Counterpoint: Blankets, Fun Home, Persepolis.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Counterpoint: Blankets, Fun Home, Persepolis.

They didn't say it never happens, just that it's not an expectation with autobiographies.

Senor Candle posted:

EDIT:

Uhhhh why not?

Because most people aren't writers. Biographies yes, autobiographies no. Of course, the best autobiographies are the ones that are either from writers, or with a lot of help from a writer.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Figured you all would be interested in this story:

My younger brother, in high school, has a club that brings in speakers from different alternate professions (no doctors, lawyers, engineers etc) to talk to the kids or whoever will listen. His girlfriend really wanted a comic book artist to come in, so after a few tries he got Art Spiegelman, who was coming into town for a convention. My brother not wanting to look ignorant goes to try to find Maus and off hand mentions it to the teacher coordinator who responds "Oh we got tons of copies of that just sitting on the shelf"

This is where it gets weird: The school purchased a class set of the books to a be a part of some upper level english course and maybe grade 12 english if they could get approval (there is a unit on alternate mediums, ie not books). After they were purchased, a Polish Heritage Group petitioned to have the book banned in schools because the Poles are represented as pigs and that is insulting to them. Keep in mind this is Canada. Keep in mind this was all done very quietly and most groups within the school and community had no idea it happened.

That is super lovely right? Like to petition against how they don't like that it's pigs in a book designed to make you look past the outward appearance of someone and understand them as a person feels incredibly short sighted. So now a poo poo ton of money is just wasted. And the message of the book is gone. A book that is probably very important for high school students to study.

art spiegelman wrote a letter to the school about why they shouldn't ban it and what the polish pigs represent but i doubt anything is going to happen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's been a while since I read Maus, but isn't the pig thing supposed be because they're not Jewish. So they're not kosher? Not "HURRR DUMB POLES ARE SMELLY PIGS"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They're obviously wrong and didn't read the book, but I really can't get up in arms at someone who doesn't want clarification on "Your race is portrayed as literal pigs" before getting pissed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

It's been a while since I read Maus, but isn't the pig thing supposed be because they're not Jewish. So they're not kosher? Not "HURRR DUMB POLES ARE SMELLY PIGS"

Pretty much. Pigs are supposed to represent the gentiles and because each nationality gets its own animal the Poles got the pigs.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pigs are cool though, and aren't cats supposed to be more acceptable and all-around "better" animals than mice, following that logic?

It still got nothing on the second issue of Blacksad, which got to be the most ridiculous and convoluted racism allegory story I've ever read.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alrighty, I've got some recommendations from folks for various things to put in the OP, but I'd like some summaries for non-superhero comics as well to put in the initial primer. If anyone's willing to do that, please either post'em here or PM me. :)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Okay then

Love & Rockets

One of the longest-running independent comics in the American comics industry, remarkably still staying strong and fresh after the several changes of the alternative comics guard. Drawn by brothers Hernandez - Jaime and Gilbert (and Mario in the earlier issues), - it is a slice-of-life comic with very minor fantastical and magical elements.

Jaime tells stories about Maggie, Hopey and Ray - latino punks in 80s LA; Gilbert's magnum opus is the story of Palomar - a border town in Mexico. While not strictly moving stories in 1:1 real-time, the timespan of comics and their publication is pretty close, presenting a fairly unique case in comics, showing the growth of characters and their relationships over decades.

The prime form of publication for Love and Rockets is magazines (and annual books in the latter years) that contain the stories of both brothers under one cover, but the collected editions offer their stories separately. The publisher has the recommended reading order. The paperbacks are very affordable and nicely made; they are also availiable digitally on Comixology, where the publisher frequently does the discounts on the whole series.

Generally, it is recommended to start with Jaime, as he has a more appealing style and his storytelling is more linear. A common recommendation is also to start at the second volume of his - The Girl from H.O.P.P.E.R.S.

100% - a drama about six city dwellers in the Blade Runner-ish future: messy, low-tech and mesmerizing. The artist behind it, Paul Pope, is a strong believer in the "world comics", drawing influences from the comic book traditions of USA, Europe and Japan. Manga readers would find themselves at home here, as Pope loves the kinetic approach and extensive sound lettering of Japanese artists.

Five issues collected in 1 volume (softcover and hardcover)

Richard Stark's Parker. A beautiful, pitch perfect adaptation of the books about the ruthless criminal without a moral code, the one who puts being a professional before anything else. While there were several movie adaptations of the Parker books, ranging from great (Point Blank) to dreadful (theatrical cut of Payback), no one came closer to replicate the cold quality of the novels than the retro-minded Darwyn Cooke. Not limiting himself to just kicking rear end in basic storytelling techniques, Cooke experiments with the form, employing different visual styles while drawing multiple heists, and plays with abstraction, achieving results unimaginable in motion pictures.

4 volumes: The Hunter, The Outfit, The Score and Slayground. I highly recommend the Martini edition - an oversized book collecting first two volumes with a lot of extra materials.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Invictus posted:

Alrighty, I've got some recommendations from folks for various things to put in the OP, but I'd like some summaries for non-superhero comics as well to put in the initial primer. If anyone's willing to do that, please either post'em here or PM me. :)

From Hell
Alan Moore (words), Eddie Campbell (pictures)

A dense story that uses the Jack the Ripper murders as the starting point for an exploration of the darkness at the heart of Victorian society and the birth of the 20th Century. The black and white art is frequently stark and brutal, bringing to mind newspaper illustrations of the era, while the story is laden with conspiracy and occult themes. It is not a pleasant book, but it is an excellent introduction to Alan Moore's work outside superhero comics, and the collected version contain his annotations and commentary which makes for a fascinating read after finishing the main story.

Amazon, Comixology

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Captain Invictus posted:

Alright, time for even more of 'Yvonmukluk's terrible opinions hour!'

Scott Pilgrim, by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Meet Scott Pilgrim. He's a twentysomething slacker in the mysterious land of Toronto, Canada, currently dating a high schooler after a bad breakup. However, this relationship soon falls by the wayside when American ninja deliverygirl Ramona Flowers starts rollerskating through his dreams (this is not a metaphor). However, dating Ramona has its pitfalls - Scott will have to defeat her Seven Evil Exes to finally date her - and probably have to do some growing up along the way.

Although the nominal plot revolves around Scott's defeating the evil exes, his maturing from a slacker who only he (and Knives Chau, his hopelessly lovestruck fake high school girlfriend) think is cool into a degree of maturity is the real heart of the story. Virtually all of the supporting cast is enjoyable to read (with Scott's gay room-mate and best friend Wallace shamelessly stealing every scene he's in) and have their own flaws and foibles, and O'Malley manages to thread the needle of making his leads flawed enough to be believable, but still likeable enough to care about.

It can be found on Amazon (both in black-and-white paperback and new colour hardcover editions), Comixology, and even its own app with added interactivity

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

If I remember the introduction to my copy of Maus correctly, Spiegelman was confronted by a Polish official with "The Nazis called us pigs," and he replied, "They called us mice."

It's not about gentiles, every group of people got their own animal in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gaz-L posted:

Apart from the obvious mice/cat/dog symbolism for the Jews, Nazis, and Americans respectively, I think everyone else just got their animals picked at random. Isn't there even a bit about that in the comic itself, when he's wondering what to make the French (frogs are too obvious), and ends up going with bunnies Just Because?

• Locked thread