Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

A is better than AA is better than B etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Chemmy posted:

Growing up we had AAA (best) AA, A, B, C. with numbers, like C2 being worse then a C. But all the adult leagues I've been in have either been Gold/Silver/Bronze, or 1, 2, 3 ect.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, numbers add numerical skill superiority.

Plus, the only other sport that uses multiple letters for skill level is baseball, and they use AAA as the top farm team on down to A. Who the gently caress writes out DDDDD instead of D5?

It's an obvious sign you should rebel against your league manager.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
holy poo poo I scored the overtime game winning goal in our playoff game tonight.

never in my lifetime thought I would ever do that.

its a pretty neat feeling to get mobbed by your team-mates after.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Chemmy posted:

Around here it is like this, only exactly opposite.

AAA = you potentially have or recently had a job playing hockey
A = damned good at hockey

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To really gently caress people up, my rink has C, C1, C2 and B.

C is the lowest level. Number indicates how many B level players the team can ice. :downs:

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

xzzy posted:

To really gently caress people up, my rink has C, C1, C2 and B.

C is the lowest level. Number indicates how many B level players the team can ice. :downs:

So is C2 considered lower than C1, because they need two ringers instead of just one? Or is it higher because they have a higher percentage of B players? :v:

We just use A B C D E in my league...

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

We have BC, Adv C, Int C, Lower C North, Lower C West, Lower C South; this is in order of best to worst.

Why do they need to make it that stupid? No idea.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
E - D - D+ - C minor - C - C Major - B

And then I don't know because I'm not even good enough to pretend I could ever hang in B or above.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

House League
A - Good
B - Okay
C - Meh

Hockey North America
1 - Only in certain cities
4a - where I play
4b
Beginner

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Benson Cunningham posted:

And then I don't know because I'm not even good enough to pretend I could ever hang in B or above.

I prefer to play in D Minor. I find it's the saddest of all leagues.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Our rink has (from good to not good)
AAA Major
AAA Minor
AA Major
AA Minor
A Major
A Minor
Masters

Masters used to be the old dudes league, 27+ but now its A Minor B because there's so many teams who want to play at the low level.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Benson Cunningham posted:

This chord progression doesn't sound very good

edit god dammit

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The rinks around here are roughly on the same scale but don't all have every league.

Centennial Sportsplex:
A (former college / pro)
Upper B
Lower B
Upper C
Lower C (Beginner)

A-Game Sportsplex:
B
Upper C
Lower C / sometimes they have D (this rink is the worst run in the area)

Ford Ice Center - This is a brand new rink run by the Preds that is right now mainly focused on getting new people into hockey, kids and adults, so they don't try to cater to advanced adult players at all.
C (intermediate)
D (beginner)
Under-30 league (all the good players regardless of age)

I think every rink has oldguy 35+ or 40+ leagues too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

lazerwolf posted:

old dudes league, 27+

Well that bums me out

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

oddIXIbbo posted:

I prefer to play in D Minor. I find it's the saddest of all leagues.

bewbies posted:

This chord progression doesn't sound very good

edit god dammit

G blues scale is where it's at, nerds.

Also the saddest league is league of legends. If you thought beer league hockey gets salty...

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

lazerwolf posted:

Our rink has (from good to not good)
AAA Major
AAA Minor
AA Major
AA Minor
A Major
A Minor
Masters

Masters used to be the old dudes league, 27+ but now its A Minor B because there's so many teams who want to play at the low level.

Did they not want to piss anyone off and instead made everyone A?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Jedimastafez posted:

holy poo poo I scored the overtime game winning goal in our playoff game tonight.

never in my lifetime thought I would ever do that.

its a pretty neat feeling to get mobbed by your team-mates after.

Congrats!

In league category chat, my league has bronze, silver, silver select, gold, platinum. Which is pretty easy to figure out who is better than who. There's a small bit of ranking in each division, players are A+ (basically a bit too good for that level, limited how many goals they can score), A or B. It works pretty well I think at balancing letting people play with their friends/family and finding an appropriate competition level.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Round these parts, we seem to keep to, D2 (wobbly hockey), D1, C3, C2, C1, B. Some rinks will have some subset of those. I don't know of any "A" leagues, but to hear it told most ex pros tend to have their own private skates. I have never been to one but have heard hilarious apocryphal stories.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is there anything I can do defensively if I'm not a strong backwards skater? I realize that not being a strong backwards skater I shouldn't be playing defense but since it's shinny I'm just floating to where I'm needed and that's where I wind up. I also imagine that when my beginner league starts I'll be playing some defense as well. Once the play is set up in our zone I know to find an open man within my coverage zone (or just where ever since so far I'm only playing shinny and people aren't sticking to positions) and I know how to position myself to disrupt a play, but if I'm sitting at the blue line in the offensive zone and the puck gets turned over I have no idea what to do. I've just been turning around and skating as fast as I can back to the defensive zone while trying to cut off their path to the middle but I feel like I'm a complete non-issue in the neutral zone. Any tips? (Besides working on my backwards skating which I assure you I am doing!)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Turning away from the puck for a few strides to build up speed is a valid approach to compensate for weak skating, try to look over your shoulder to keep an eye on the puck and transition as the situation warrants. It's better to transition early than late because if the puck carrier is any good, once they see your body start to twist they're going to cut in the other direction and leave you in the dust.

If you can't make a play on the puck, bust rear end to the net and figure things out from there. Or cover the second forward to prevent a pass.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I used to play in the D division, then we kept getting killed and moved down to the D/E division, then the E division, then the 40+ D2 division. I'm 31...oh well.

C is the highest division in the league.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just be glad you have divisions to get moved down into. The first season I ever played ball hockey we didn't win a single game, and my indoor soccer team has never won a game. I'm glad to finally be playing a sport that's popular enough that there are loads of adults who are trying to learn it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Thats a scenario thats one of the hardest for people to learn as its basically all hockey sense. Making the decision when to pinch up, when to stay, when to drop back to the neutral zone, and when to hustle back to the defensive zone and it depends on what kind of defensive player you are. Stay at home D? You will probably turn back the moment your team loses the puck in the offensive zone and not take any chances. Offensive defenseman? You might try to hug the boards and keep the puck in play, chip it up and try to create a chance, or take the shot from the point. Thats why communication with your D pairing is crucial. Having one who plays more offensively and one who takes no chances is a great balance because then you're covered on both ends.

Some people will get really pissed at a D man if they can't keep the puck in the zone. But the D man can always control it and set up another play in the neutral zone and get back into the offensive zone. Your team still has control of the puck the entire time. But if that D man tried pinch in order to keep the puck in the zone and got it chipped past him then he might have just given up an odd man rush or a breakaway and resulted in a turnover or a goal.

As far as learning how to skate backwards faster, get low and move those legs fast. Watch lots of youtube videos on defensive skating or take a power skating class.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last year someone told me if the opponent has the puck on his stick and he's facing me, start skating backwards to defend. If he's bobbling the puck or is facing down ice, bust rear end and pinch.

I don't know how well that advice carries across skill levels but it's how I play it.

If I notice the other d-man got sucked low I'll never pinch.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Verman posted:

Thats a scenario thats one of the hardest for people to learn as its basically all hockey sense. Making the decision when to pinch up, when to stay, when to drop back to the neutral zone, and when to hustle back to the defensive zone and it depends on what kind of defensive player you are. Stay at home D? You will probably turn back the moment your team loses the puck in the offensive zone and not take any chances. Offensive defenseman? You might try to hug the boards and keep the puck in play, chip it up and try to create a chance, or take the shot from the point. Thats why communication with your D pairing is crucial. Having one who plays more offensively and one who takes no chances is a great balance because then you're covered on both ends.

Some people will get really pissed at a D man if they can't keep the puck in the zone. But the D man can always control it and set up another play in the neutral zone and get back into the offensive zone. Your team still has control of the puck the entire time. But if that D man tried pinch in order to keep the puck in the zone and got it chipped past him then he might have just given up an odd man rush or a breakaway and resulted in a turnover or a goal.

As far as learning how to skate backwards faster, get low and move those legs fast. Watch lots of youtube videos on defensive skating or take a power skating class.

Thanks. I have a bit of hockey sense from playing ball hockey for a long time but some of it is pretty warped because it's 3 on 3 with no offsides or icing. I usually have somewhat of an idea of what my options are in a given scenario but because I'm so new to skating I have a hard time executing something quickly or doing what I want to do. I'm taking a learn to play hockey class right now, been looking for power skating but I can't find anything geared towards adults in my area. I'm also hitting public skates a few times a week but I don't think I'm going to be effective until I can transition properly and do backwards crossovers so I've still got a ways to go.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Once the play is set up in our zone I know to find an open man within my coverage zone (or just where ever since so far I'm only playing shinny and people aren't sticking to positions) and I know how to position myself to disrupt a play, but if I'm sitting at the blue line in the offensive zone and the puck gets turned over I have no idea what to do. I've just been turning around and skating as fast as I can back to the defensive zone while trying to cut off their path to the middle but I feel like I'm a complete non-issue in the neutral zone. Any tips? (Besides working on my backwards skating which I assure you I am doing!)

The transition play really depends on who your D partner is. For me, who has a D partner I have to shout at to remind him we're playing hockey, I have to play conservatively and start backing out as soon as they peel out of the corner or boards. If you have a speedy partner who's aware of the play, you can make a pinch and have him back you up to slow down the attack if it gets past you, so you can get back. If you pinch and miss, you turn and bust rear end to cover the second attacker.

If you play conservatively and play back, first check to see where the outlet pass might go, then check to see if the puck carrier is on his backhand or forehand along the boards. Give him/her space on the backhand, take away the lane on the forehand, but keeping them to the boards is a good play. A speedy player can chip it around you if you play too close, so it's a bit of an angles and space game.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Bradf0rd posted:

Did they not want to piss anyone off and instead made everyone A?

I have no clue. They could have just called each league by what day they play because we only ever play Thursdays in Masters aka A Minor B.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Do other sports have the innumerable ranking systems as well, or is hockey the only one this busted?

Rock Climbing does it all on 2 scales I know. Don't really know about rec league anything else though.

Silver Ultra Platinum Kickball
Silver Refined Platinum/Sterling KickBall
Gold v5.2 (+) Kickball
Challenger League Kickball

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Is maple syrup a sport? They've got some super convoluted ranking/naming systems as well

WIKIPEDIA MAPLE SYRUP ARTICLE posted:

In Canada, maple syrup is classified by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) as one of three grades, each with several colour classes: Canada No. 1, including Extra Light, Light, and Medium; No. 2 Amber; and finally No. 3 Dark or any other ungraded category. Producers in Ontario or Québec may follow either federal or provincial grading guidelines. Québec's and Ontario's guidelines differ slightly from the federal: there are two "number" categories in Québec (Number 1, with four colour classes, and 2, with five colour classes).[51] As in Québec, Ontario's producers have two "number" grades: 1, with three colour classes; and 2, with one colour class, which is typically referred to as "Ontario Amber" when produced and sold in that province only.

The United States uses different grading standards. Maple syrup is divided into two major grades: Grade A and Grade B. Grade A is further divided into three subgrades: Light Amber (sometimes known as Fancy), Medium Amber, and Dark Amber. The Vermont Agency of Agriculture Food and Markets uses a similar grading system of colour, and is roughly equivalent, especially for lighter syrups, but using letters: "AA", "A", etc.[54][55] The Vermont grading system differs from the US system in maintaining a slightly higher standard of product density (measured on the Baumé scale). New Hampshire maintains a similar standard, but not a separate state grading scale. The Vermont-graded product has 0.9 percent more sugar and less water in its composition than US-graded. One grade of syrup not for table use, called commercial or Grade C, is also produced under the Vermont system.[56] Vermont inspectors enforce strict syrup grading regulations, and can fine producers up to US$1000 for labeling syrup incorrectly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_syrup#Grades

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm in the Extra Virgin league.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

prom candy posted:

I'm in the Extra Virgin league.

So you've never scored?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I wish I was in an area with some many teams it required extra leagues. Right now our season is 20 games against the same 3 teams. At least everyone gets into the playoffs!

I also think something is wrong with my cat. I've caught her sleeping in my bag and just now she was asleep in my pants. Does she not realize how bad these things smell?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

calandryll posted:

I also think something is wrong with my cat. I've caught her sleeping in my bag and just now she was asleep in my pants. Does she not realize how bad these things smell?
Cats love that poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of my cats loves my sweaty gear, it's loving nasty. I get home from work and kick my shoes off, she sticks her nose right in 'em. Will also nap on my still-damp jerseys.

The other one will crawl inside my breezers and sleep the whole day in there. Ugh.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Glad I'm not the only one with a weird as cat.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

bgreman posted:

My cats love to lay on my hockey bag when I've got it sitting around with my gear in it. As soon as I set it down, they compete to be the first one to hop up and lay down. Cats are weird.

Edit: Proof.

Quoting myself from the last time the stinky hockey cat conversation came up.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

calandryll posted:

I wish I was in an area with some many teams it required extra leagues. Right now our season is 20 games against the same 3 teams. At least everyone gets into the playoffs!

I thought I had it bad, our league has 5 teams. Boo for bye weeks. We've got 25 games against the same ole 4 teams. Though we might be down to a 4 team league soon since one of the teams has forfeited 2 weeks in a row and the guy who runs it said at the beginning of the year he probably wasn't going to put a team in next year. Its starting to get pretty stale, I kinda hope the league decides to just turn into a draft league to mix it up for a season or two.

Oh and for cat chat, we have 2 cats and neither go near my stuff but I have lived with other cats in the past that have jumped right in and rolled in the stink.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah it's really annoying. One team is pretty much made up of players that also play as backup for one of the B teams. The other two teams I play in a private drop-in, so pretty friendly with most of them. We have a contest in the drop-in to find the worst beer ever. Current leader is Clear Creek Ice. It is loving terrible.

I do have a question. During warmup and dicking around during pickup, I can hit my slapper loving perfectly. Game time comes around and it goes about 2 feet. Suggestions on overcoming performance anxiety?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

I get home from work and kick my shoes off, she sticks her nose right in 'em.

My girlfriend's cat does this, too. Goes nuts in there like it's cat nip or something. Her sister-cat? Nope, doesn't give two shits. Maybe it's just the concentrated dude-stink that they like? :shrug: