Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

What do you mean 'scale up'? Its running at native resolution on the new 3DS. It does supposedly get slightly better textures though, so don't know why it would look blurry when my old 3DS XL looks just fine? :shrug:

Get your eyes checked or don't worry so much about how the password font looks.

That was just an example, the bottom screen text looks like rear end even if it's readable. It's not a big deal but it still looks bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
This should be helpful for new and old players:

http://game.capcom.co.jp/manual/MH4U/en-UK/

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I've found red buff to be the hardest to get usually but maybe that's just because I want it the most all the time. It's also really dependent on the monster too, for example Najarala is super easy to get red buff off, and the only time I ever see green buff is fighting typical dragon shaped monsters. It's also a bit weird that sometimes it's way better to be surrounded by little dudes in boss fights since theres quite a few who give off red buff, like the rhinoceros dudes and the velociraptor guys in V. Hollow.

As a complete newbie I found the IG pretty fluid and fun but a bit tricky, though the most annoying thing by far is missing the R+X/R+A release button press/command for whatever reason and being rooted in place firing the dumb pellet instead of the bug.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can get green from weird spots like nerscylla's poison spikes and rathian's back. im not even sure what it does tbh

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

It heals you for a tiny weenie amount, less than a first aid kit I'd guess

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

This should be helpful for new and old players:

http://game.capcom.co.jp/manual/MH4U/en-UK/

They don't mention the ultimate combo for IG, X X A (WITHOUT moving the circle pad in any direction, and only when you have red buff), repeat forever.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Decus posted:

How far are you from your router? How do you have your wireless setup on your 3DS? Manual or auto? Try things in this order:

1) Setup your wireless manually on your 3DS. Enter in the IP, subnet, gateway, DNS, etc. all manually. To do this open command prompt on your computer and type ipconfig /all. After that, look for the ip, subnet, and gateway. Add 10 to the final portion of the ip (ex: 111.111.111.6 becomes 111.111.111.016) and enter that in the 3DS, enter the others in exact. Make sure it's all three numbers and then a period, if a single digit is displayed add 0 to the front to keep the pattern. For DNS, use 008.008.008.008 as the primary and 008.008.004.004 as the secondary. This should all add up to a stronger connection on your 3DS.

2) If the above didn't do the trick, get closer to your router.

3) If that still didn't do the trick, your internet sucks, sorry. Maybe try using your 4G connection on your phone to supply wireless to the 3DS? If you don't have that, well, yeah that sucks.

I'm a ways away from the router, but there's not much I can do about it unfortunately. I'll try the manual settings (thanks!) but otherwise I'll just have to keep trucking.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Decus posted:

Near the end of low rank I liked Battle Helm, Tigrex Chest, Rathalos Vambraces, Velociprey Waist, Battle Boots, gem as needed.

I didn't know about this clown suit. I just made the Barroth Armor set, because I am simple. I will try it out. Thank you.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just got murdered by Jaggi for the third time, this game seems pretty bad with the clunky controls, the unsatisfying combat, the poor story, and the lack of visual information, the customizable UI while a nice idea doesn't help much when you need to read a small novel to try and comprehend everything. I'm curious how much of people's 100+ hours of play are just trying to suss things out about what they're doing or grinding dino rear end, and how much is fun gameplay.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
gently caress you spider oval office. I hate your loving poison spikes. Oh, what's that? You're trying to jump attack me? haha! tough poo poo! I'm going to do an attack animation that takes priority over your mount animation! Then I'm going to skitter around like a complete rear end in a top hat so you can never get into position!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Turtlicious posted:

Just got murdered by Jaggi for the third time, this game seems pretty bad with the clunky controls, the unsatisfying combat, the poor story, and the lack of visual information, the customizable UI while a nice idea doesn't help much when you need to read a small novel to try and comprehend everything. I'm curious how much of people's 100+ hours of play are just trying to suss things out about what they're doing or grinding dino rear end, and how much is fun gameplay.

is this a real post?

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

:gitgud:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

cpaf posted:

It heals you for a tiny weenie amount, less than a first aid kit I'd guess

In G-rank your bug gains skills that increase the heal amount and gives it status recovery, maybe some other stuff too.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Turtlicious posted:

Monster Hunter isn't for you, sorry to say.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My biggest regret was getting it digitally, no refund for me.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

did you even try the demo? you could have been brutalized by jaggi for free :v:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Awesome! posted:

did you even try the demo? you could have been brutalized by jaggi for free :v:

NAh, I was pretty confident I was going to like it! I played a ton of Dynasty Warriors and Dark Souls and this seemed to be that but fighting dinosaurs.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Isn't it possible to just block poke a Great Jaggi with a lance? I mean, who wants to play that way, but it would work.

Definitely use the lock-on. The lock-on is very useful.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Getting a little bummed out by the lack of upgrades for my insect glaive. I need gossamite ore to upgrade my scylla glaive, and presumably it comes from the next area I'll be visiting (heavenly mountain or whatevs) but being stuck with the same weapon for so long is kind of lame. I suppose I don't really *need* a new weapon because even the base glaive I've got is more than adequate for killing stuff but variety is the spice of life. High rank or bust, I suppose.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Turtlicious posted:

I played a ton of Dynasty Warriors and Dark Souls and this seemed to be that but fighting dinosaurs.
it's sad how many people say hey it's dark souls but with dinosaurs and then they find that not to be the case. :rip:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Speaking of high rank, at what point do you get the 7* gathering tours on the offline mode?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Colapops posted:

Getting a little bummed out by the lack of upgrades for my insect glaive. I need gossamite ore to upgrade my scylla glaive, and presumably it comes from the next area I'll be visiting (heavenly mountain or whatevs) but being stuck with the same weapon for so long is kind of lame. I suppose I don't really *need* a new weapon because even the base glaive I've got is more than adequate for killing stuff but variety is the spice of life. High rank or bust, I suppose.

yea i would probably feel worse about it if my nerscylla stick wasnt still loving everything up hard

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Turtlicious posted:

looks like u got a terminal case of "bein bad at video games"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Colapops posted:

You'll unlock a lot more as soon as you hit high rank. I wonder if they made so few LR ones because upgrading them is expensive as hell and they didn't want LR players blowing all their money.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It feels like the first few Insect Glaives were better than the other weapons to make up for it taking so long to upgrade them or make more.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Awesome! posted:

yea i would probably feel worse about it if my nerscylla stick wasnt still loving everything up hard

I've even managed to poison some stuff with it! Totally unnecessary but still funny. Also, it seems like monsters that have status effects might be easier to ride? I'm sure being tired makes them easier to ride as well but that seems sort of obvious.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

You're probably trying to do something that doesn't work, as evidenced by how it's not working. Try to watch a video or two if you can't figure it out. The controls aren't really that clunky, but you are locked into relatively long animations, which is an intentional design choice and also not very common.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Feel like this merits a repeat:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Honestly at this point zones should be open world if only to cut down on the loading screens

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean yeah maybe I need to get good, but does no-one see any flaws in the UI, when you have all these weapons, or trying to figure out when a hit is supposed to mount or not with the IG? Or when you get a quest to kill 8 Konchu so you run around and kill random things, except you have no idea what a Konchu looks like so you're just screwed? Yes, I'm bad at this game and maybe I'm not giving a fair shot, but that doesn't mean it's the perfect game for every gamer ever to play.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Lock on camera is literally, literally the dumbest idea for MH ever. Jeesum crow.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

NAh, I was pretty confident I was going to like it! I played a ton of Dynasty Warriors and Dark Souls and this seemed to be that but fighting dinosaurs.

Dynasty Warriors is about as far from how Monster Hunter plays as you can possibly get while still actually being a dude hitting things with a sword. If you're trying to play it like DW then you're going to get murdered a whole lot. Be more considerate of how you're attacking, watch how the monsters move (although if you're getting murdered by actual Jaggi and not Great jaggi there's more issues going on) and don't over-commit to hits that would get you hit by attacks.

Also the game is 100% grinding dino rear end that is also fun gameplay.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Speaking of high rank, at what point do you get the 7* gathering tours on the offline mode?

Do the Pro Hunter's quests. She gives all the harvest tours. If she hasn't given quests yet, do the key quests until she does give them.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

I mean yeah maybe I need to get good, but does no-one see any flaws in the UI, when you have all these weapons, or trying to figure out when a hit is supposed to mount or not with the IG? Or when you get a quest to kill 8 Konchu so you run around and kill random things, except you have no idea what a Konchu looks like so you're just screwed? Yes, I'm bad at this game and maybe I'm not giving a fair shot, but that doesn't mean it's the perfect game for every gamer ever to play.

There's a big vertical flash when you get a hit that counts towards mounting, when you get a quest to kill stuff there's usually a description of what the monster is (not necessarily directly, but in a roundabout way, like it looks like a bug or a pillbug or something etc), there's a picture that looks like the monster, and when you harvest something, it usually will drop something that includes its name in the type of item, and when you kill random things, if it counts, your quest counter will increment, so you know if the thing you just killed is correct or not.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken there should also be a menu somewhere that describes all the different types of monsters you've either seen or bought a book describing.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I think you may have skipped some stuff, because whenever new creatures are introduced they typically get a cutscene that shows off some of their behavior or abilities. Konchu have one and it's really early in the game so I dunno how you missed it.

konchu intro narrated by some German guy

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Lemming posted:

There's a big vertical flash when you get a hit that counts towards mounting, when you get a quest to kill stuff there's usually a description of what the monster is (not necessarily directly, but in a roundabout way, like it looks like a bug or a pillbug or something etc), there's a picture that looks like the monster, and when you harvest something, it usually will drop something that includes its name in the type of item, and when you kill random things, if it counts, your quest counter will increment, so you know if the thing you just killed is correct or not.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken there should also be a menu somewhere that describes all the different types of monsters you've either seen or bought a book describing.

That and every monster (even the tiny ones now!) has a long intro video the first time you encounter it in single player that gives you a good long look at it.

Some of which start off the fight in a specific way oh hi Gravios just gonna shoot your lava beam at me cool time to roll.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Turtlicious posted:

I mean yeah maybe I need to get good, but does no-one see any flaws in the UI, when you have all these weapons, or trying to figure out when a hit is supposed to mount or not with the IG?
mounting works like a status effect. after you do it once you the monster increases its resistance to it and you will have to hit it more to get another mount. im not sure what else you are referring to with that or what having lots of weapons has to do with anything.

Turtlicious posted:

Or when you get a quest to kill 8 Konchu so you run around and kill random things, except you have no idea what a Konchu looks like so you're just screwed?
well they give you a little picture when you take the quest and even then there arent that many small monsters in each area. just kill some randomly and see which one ticks up the quest.

Turtlicious posted:

Yes, I'm bad at this game and maybe I'm not giving a fair shot, but that doesn't mean it's the perfect game for every gamer ever to play.
no one says it's perfect for everyone. whenever someone says hey i liked xxxx will i like monster hunter i say play the demo because it is a very polarizing series and people seem to either rabidly love it or hate it equally as much

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

metasynthetic posted:

Feel like this merits a repeat:

Middle space should be "clunky"

Toxxupation posted:

Honestly at this point zones should be open world if only to cut down on the loading screens

It should be open world so enemies don't charge past the zone exit and then do their idle animation 5 times in a row with impunity.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Turtlicious posted:

No, because none of those things are problems, and nobody is arguing that its perfect

Here are a laundry list of legitimate problems with the game:

Too much loading
Gathering is fundamentally poo poo and straight up needs to be removed
Drops should be locked to specific breaks (Aka if you break rathalos' back you ALWAYS get a plate, etc) and not RNG-dependent
Tying drops to damage types (can only pull off tail cuts with cutting damage) is a flawed idea imo
The camera control has been a fundamental issue for the entire series and it's still not perfect

Here are things I feel like the game should absolutely change but I know why they don't or won't:

List every monster's drops and how to obtain them in-game
List every possible combination before you make them (maybe tie it to an item you buy)
Implement an item that locks a creature to a specific zone for a set amount of time
Add the ability to pick up set traps
Remove item bag limit

Monhun is very niche and specific but you're bitching about the reasons people play this game

the fact that there's no health bars and you have to actually watch the monster to know when you've damaged it/when it's weak is why I love it as much as I do

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Moon Monster posted:

It should be open world so enemies don't charge past the zone exit and then do their idle animation 5 times in a row with impunity.

I'll take the idle animation any day, I had loving Khezu stand out of bounds and do his lightning attack 6 times in a row last night. Then he left the zone

• Locked thread