Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fire Emblem 25th anniversary event! http://www.fe25thevent.com/

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Fire Emblem 25th anniversary event! http://www.fe25thevent.com/

Heh, I wonder what this event will have. Hopefully more info on FE14?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's a two-day concert, that's pretty much all that's said. I guess we'll find out more info after the countdown.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Probably mostly just music. At best, we'll get confirmation on the composers for FE14, and maybe they'll play a new song from it at the end.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

Probably mostly just music. At best, we'll get confirmation on the composers for FE14, and maybe they'll play a new song from it at the end.

They'll play a new song but it's just going to be the Fire Emblem theme again.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

:negative: I'm replaying Path of Radiance, and my current hard mode run is 3 chapters away from Endgame. My roster of usable units is about 17 or 18, and they're all around levels 10-13. The thing is, I want to get as many of them up to level 20 as I can so I can make Radiant Dawn even easier than it is when I eventually move on to it. But XP gain in hard mode is completely neutered and I just don't see how I can get all or a majority of them to 20. Are either of the bosses in Twisted Tower or Moment of Fate farmable for level ups? I had a good run with Ena in the castle siege level, since she regains 10 HP a turn and has 3 elixirs; on top of being a Laguz.

I know the game throws a lot of Laguz at you in Twisted Tower but I still don't know if its enough :saddowns:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Concurred posted:

:negative: I'm replaying Path of Radiance, and my current hard mode run is 3 chapters away from Endgame. My roster of usable units is about 17 or 18, and they're all around levels 10-13. The thing is, I want to get as many of them up to level 20 as I can so I can make Radiant Dawn even easier than it is when I eventually move on to it. But XP gain in hard mode is completely neutered and I just don't see how I can get all or a majority of them to 20. Are either of the bosses in Twisted Tower or Moment of Fate farmable for level ups? I had a good run with Ena in the castle siege level, since she regains 10 HP a turn and has 3 elixirs; on top of being a Laguz.

I know the game throws a lot of Laguz at you in Twisted Tower but I still don't know if its enough :saddowns:

If you wanna tank BEXP and go as slow as possible. Unequip all units, eat damage, heal up with priests. Level up 1 EXP at a time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Who was Awakening's composer?

Because get that person again

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What's SMT X FE?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5-EIzDtKo
Likely in development hell.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Always bet on Marth.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
RIP SMTxFE, we hardly knew ye.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If it ever happens, it won't be until Persona 5, DAN, FE14, and Codename STEAM are released. I doubt they'd even be doing more than conceptual stuff before then.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Composers, actually. Rei Kondoh and Hiroki Morishita are the composers.

You may recognize the former from the Wonderful 101 soundtrack.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

If it ever happens, it won't be until Persona 5, DAN, FE14, and Codename STEAM are released. I doubt they'd even be doing more than conceptual stuff before then.

I have no idea what DAN is but I don't see any reason STEAM would need to come out before SMTxFE assuming it's still in development.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I have no idea what DAN is but I don't see any reason STEAM would need to come out before SMTxFE assuming it's still in development.

Dancing All Night, the Persona rhythm game. And Code Name STEAM is confirmed for March, so unless Nintendo's really gonna spring one on us...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rei Kondoh (Okami, Bayonetta)
Hiroki Morishita (Paper Mario: Sticker Star, seems to be Yuka Tsujiyoko's protege in some regard?)
Yuka Tsujiyoko (Most of the past Fire Emblem games, Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door)

If IF's really going with a East vs West thing, then Kondoh would be perfect. His Traditional Japanese-style compositions for Okami were amazing.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Today I learned that in Radiant Dawn you can trigger Cancel on Doors.

Way to go Leonardo.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

dude789 posted:

Way to go Leonardo.

Safety first

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

dude789 posted:

Way to go Leonardo.

In Por Ike can trigger aether on doors.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hector killed himself with a devil axe crit on a wall once

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04_vfmOszQE

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Endorph posted:

I dont use them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that song syncs perfectly somehow

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I'm going to pose a question brought up in the LP thread. Do people think Attack of Opportunity could work in Fire Emblem.

I'm in neither camp, I'e got experience with tabletops so in my mind it could definitly work.

An Attack Of Opportunity in this case is defined as an attack taking place on the opposite phase, due to movement THROUGH an enemies threat zone (not into) For example.

Bandit A is equipped with an Iron Axe, moving to Melee range with Cavalier A and attacking with an Iron Sword does not provoke an attack of opportunity. HOWEVER, moving next to Bandit A as you run past to Bandit B WOULD trigger an AoO as you have entered and passed through his threat range Ergo, Bandit A would attack Cavalier A as he rode past. HOWEVER a unit would only get 1 AoO per turn (and grey out after doing so) So moving Cavalier B the same way as A would not result in an AoO from Bandit A (who has already attacked Cav A)

This is how it essentially functions in Dungeons and Dragons and Pathfinder and a billion other Game systems. Ranged units typically don't get AoOs, but that's because in those games ranged units have a range of about 120 feet. so it'd be kind of powerful to have it without feats.

The way I think this could work is either

A. An intrinsic part of the core gameplay
B. A skill, perhaps attached to the Knight Class? If the former is true, perhaps the skill would increase the threat range, or allow for more AoOs?

Benefits - It drastically changes how movement flows, how the player acts, how the enemy acts so they can't just pound through your lines to attack your weak healers. It least to new defensive formations, new strategies, a new way to play the game.
Downsides - Fire Emblem is intrinsicly a simple game, and this encourages a slower pace in comparison to the usual game, not to mention includes a complex element that the player has to account for from now on. Also Movement can no longer function like it used to. Though the Movement Arrow would become more important than ever.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I really like the idea. It sounds like something that warrants testing. How easily could it be implemented?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think I'd like it as a skill attached to the knight class. Maybe on promotion to general it would actually stop their movement after the attack, too (this is the basis for a lot of tank builds in D&D).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Onmi posted:

Downsides - Fire Emblem is intrinsicly a simple game, and this encourages a slower pace in comparison to the usual game, not to mention includes a complex element that the player has to account for from now on. Also Movement can no longer function like it used to. Though the Movement Arrow would become more important than ever.

This is kind of what turns me off to it. I'd like to try it out at least, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It'd either be a straight upgrade to Vantage that every unit gets (if you can do that and attack on your phase), or it would be a worthless gimmick. Nothing is going to run past your one tile attack range unless you make a wall and force them to and you're sacrificing killing an enemy on your turn for (possibly, maybe, if they run past you) killing them on theirs, which is so incredibly niche that its use may as well not exist. It's a bad idea. It's especially a bad idea if overwatching greys you out on enemy phase and only allows you the one counterattack, as 90% of all fighting takes place on enemy phase. And if enemies can do it too, well, gently caress you I guess because that helps the AI waaaaaaaaay more than it could ever possibly help you. They could just overwatch their 40 units and suddenly on player phase you no longer get the first hit in. If only you can do it, that's bad design. This isn't like the shove mechanic.

For it to work at all, it'd have to be a skill tied to a specific class that wouldn't break the game otherwise. Archers would benefit, but only if they also get to attack on player phase because if not then you're just shifting their one attack to a worse, more dangerous moment. And enemies would have to be able to do it as well, making enemy archers a huge pain to deal with.

edit: Knights would be a really bad class to get Vantage since it ruins their whole point of existance (ie, taking a hit). It'd only be useful on a really weak melee unit, like a Thief, because they don't want to be eating a hit if they can avoid it. It'd also be worthless against stationary bosses, but make them infinitely more difficult to approach.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 22, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's especially a bad idea if overwatching greys you out on enemy phase and only allows you the one counterattack, as 90% of all fighting takes place on enemy phase.

This would never be the case anywhere ever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Onmi posted:

This would never be the case anywhere ever.

quote:

HOWEVER a unit would only get 1 AoO per turn (and grey out after doing so) So moving Cavalier B the same way as A would not result in an AoO from Bandit A (who has already attacked Cav A)

I didn't really think that's how you meant it, but it is implied here. It really depends on enemies running next to whatever unit has the ability and that's just not very useful. I just don't see any advantage to this at all. It doesn't help the core gameplay of Fire Emblem.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

It doesn't help the core gameplay of Fire Emblem.

Well no, but honestly nothing does. Fire Emblem benefits from being as simple as it can be. Everything they should add in has mostly already been kept. Height and Ledges really need to make a come back. I just spitball ideas like this cause it sounds interesting. Pair-Up looks to be the next thing they're going to try to make work, and honestly I want it to be like SRWL's Twin System, but I'm nowhere near sure how to make that 'Work' within the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Like, I'm not saying you shouldn't try it. I could definitely be wrong and that's fine. I just don't think it's a good idea.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

It would be a good skill for the Sniper class.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Yeah, I think limiting it to archers and knights--which already have a weakness on the enemy phase and are designed to hold choke points respectively--would be the best implementation of such a trick. Snipers getting increased range on the ability would make maneuvering around or closing with them potentially quite tricky.

Onmi posted:

Well no, but honestly nothing does. Fire Emblem benefits from being as simple as it can be. Everything they should add in has mostly already been kept. Height and Ledges really need to make a come back. I just spitball ideas like this cause it sounds interesting. Pair-Up looks to be the next thing they're going to try to make work, and honestly I want it to be like SRWL's Twin System, but I'm nowhere near sure how to make that 'Work' within the game.

What is this system?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

This sounds good on paper but, much like giving them more range, this would be hell to deal with when you're actually fighting against them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I think limiting it to archers and knights--which already have a weakness on the enemy phase and are designed to hold choke points respectively--would be the best implementation of such a trick. Snipers getting increased range on the ability would make maneuvering around or closing with them potentially quite tricky.

What is this system?

The twin system has you pair up your units in the intermission where they get a bonus determined on which of the units are paired up, for example Sandrock Custom is giving Mazinkaiser

HP + 500. A rank in land, Status Immunity
HP + 1000. S rank in land, Status Immunity
HP + 1500. S rank in land, Status Immunity

Depending on the Sandrocks level of Upgrades (You could equate this to support level)

While Mazinkaiser is providing Sandrock with

Armor + 150, Dodge + 5
Armor + 200, Dodge + 15
Armor + 250, Dodge + 25

Again, dependent on Upgrades. So by putting them together you get a rather tanky unit with more HP and Armor, with a bit more avoid. Also, since Sandrock has the ability to resupply, Mazinkaiser gains a 10% Energy regeneration, and if Sandrock could repair, it would be a health regen.

In battle, a single enemy on their own could target either your leader or the Twin, and similarly you could focus attack on an enemy twins leader and back up, or just face off your leader against theirs, your twin against theres.

The system isn't ever going to work 1-1 for FE, but it addresses my main desire. "If I'm going to have 77 units, I'd like for more than 15 of them to be deployed."

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Really, Onmi just wants to make FE: SRW Edition or vice-versa. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

FPzero posted:

Really, Onmi just wants to make FE: SRW Edition or vice-versa. :v:

He's not wrong.