Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Looks like I pulled a Knyteguy:

Not actually that bad since I'm getting a bunch back from the state but I have no idea why it's that bad. Presumably withholding not accounting for a bonus or something but I don't know.

How is everyone so bad at taxes on BFC? This poo poo ain't hard to figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Taco Box posted:

How is everyone so bad at taxes on BFC? This poo poo ain't hard to figure out.

Bonuses and poo poo are a drag. Between state and fed I get about 50% of the bonus withheld, if you/company is not willing to withhold that much it can add up real fast.
Last year I still ended up paying about $1k in state taxes, despite being (what I thought) super conservative and reading up about all of that.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Uncle Jam posted:

Bonuses and poo poo are a drag. Between state and fed I get about 50% of the bonus withheld, if you/company is not willing to withhold that much it can add up real fast.
Last year I still ended up paying about $1k in state taxes, despite being (what I thought) super conservative and reading up about all of that.

Yeah for me it's selling ESPP lots, plus $500/yr in repaying my 2008 home buyer's "credit". I just modified my W-4 down to zero allowances, but I'm betting I'll still owe a little bit.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Uncle Jam posted:

What. Withholding the extra 25% is a cop out by a lazy payroll department. Determine taxes for bonuses is simple. Publication 15, method 1-b details it clearly. If you run into troubles, it's because you have an income that requires additional withholding over the normal withholding amount - likely due to being MFJ and higher or largely different incomes.

It's not that hard to get your taxes very close to right. There are dozens of very very accurate calculators on the interweb.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
All I did was fill out the W-2 form as normal with correct information and somehow that ended up with 11k in underpayment for federal and 8k overpayment for state. I assume it had to be because there was an unexpected large bonus in August which earlier witholding did not account for, since bonuses are normally in the beginning of the year. I'm guessing they did not withhold sufficiently on that bonus and that's what did it but I don't know, and that still doesn't explain the state overpayment. I didn't have realized investment income except for a few dividends nor anything that shouldn't have been withheld by my payroll department(aka that one guy who does the paychecks.)

It's not a big deal or anything, just an unpleasant number to look at, though I don't normally keep that much in my checking account. It wasn't enough to have to pay a penalty or anything.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 15, 2015

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah my husband and I both have extra withheld in taxes from our paychecks and also both claim zero and we usually owe the IRS $100 or are owed $100, give or take a little bit, at the end of the year.

We used the IRS's calculators to figure the additional amount we should withhold and it seems to be pretty spot on.

Edit: and we both get a good size bonus that is always an unknown amount every year and our payroll people manage to do the withholdings correctly

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Woo now we can all pay the government together. :homebrew:

Couple quick notes (thanks for the power adapter DIY fixes and replacement advice by the way, I have some pretty thick copper speaker wire that I'm going to try to use): had a medical problem yesterday where my back seized up hardcore. I think it's from working at a desk job and not moving around enough, as back pain has been a constant thing. I waited 24 hours, but I went to Urgent Care this morning. After Urgent Care and the pharmacy it was $97. I accidentally used our debit card for the $25 urgent care appointment, but the pharmacy was through the HSA. I'll reimburse us from the HSA sometime in the next week.

After reading about some guy who got his bank account put on hold because a public judgement was put against him due to a debt collector, I've decided to take some of the advice in this thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974 . I'm trying to find the paperwork now that has a collection account way higher than it should be. They pretty much did debt*10 as our collection account. That's a violation of the FDCPA so we may be able to settle with the collection agency for some free money. Or at least not be liable for the debt anymore. There's also some inaccurate things on my report like my old credit union saying we still owe, when in fact I paid them off nearly a year ago.

I won't pay any of these collectors of course, but I'm writing up some dispute letters to send out because if it even one derogatory mark gets taken off then it will be worth it. I'm going to update the address of my account with my big hospital collection, so if they take it to court I'll be able to defend myself (and they may just throw it away if my experience is anything like the poster's thread I linked).

Anyway big scheme it may help it may not.

No baby yet. Due date is tomorrow, but I'm thinking another week. There's haven't been many pre-labor symptoms.

No word on the thermostat yet. Still waiting to hear back from the owners.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Good luck with the delivery! And your back. Also, please do not create a fire hazard in your house that will soon contain a baby just to save eight bucks.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Be prepared to receive an additional bill for your urgent care. On my old insurance I went in for a cut on my finger. Paid $50 copay and then got a ~$300 bill a few months later.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If it makes you/wife feel any better, I had no pre labor anything going on until the day I gave birth. Nothing, until I started having contractions on the day of his birth and 8 hours lady I had my son in my arms. :)

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I'd be wary of contacting any collectors if your bills are still within the statute of limitations. Don't draw attention to yourself unless you are planning to settle with them.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Knyteguy posted:

Woo now we can all pay the government together. :homebrew:

Couple quick notes (thanks for the power adapter DIY fixes and replacement advice by the way, I have some pretty thick copper speaker wire that I'm going to try to use): had a medical problem yesterday where my back seized up hardcore. I think it's from working at a desk job and not moving around enough, as back pain has been a constant thing. I waited 24 hours, but I went to Urgent Care this morning. After Urgent Care and the pharmacy it was $97. I accidentally used our debit card for the $25 urgent care appointment, but the pharmacy was through the HSA. I'll reimburse us from the HSA sometime in the next week.

After reading about some guy who got his bank account put on hold because a public judgement was put against him due to a debt collector, I've decided to take some of the advice in this thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974 . I'm trying to find the paperwork now that has a collection account way higher than it should be. They pretty much did debt*10 as our collection account. That's a violation of the FDCPA so we may be able to settle with the collection agency for some free money. Or at least not be liable for the debt anymore. There's also some inaccurate things on my report like my old credit union saying we still owe, when in fact I paid them off nearly a year ago.

I won't pay any of these collectors of course, but I'm writing up some dispute letters to send out because if it even one derogatory mark gets taken off then it will be worth it. I'm going to update the address of my account with my big hospital collection, so if they take it to court I'll be able to defend myself (and they may just throw it away if my experience is anything like the poster's thread I linked).

Anyway big scheme it may help it may not.

No baby yet. Due date is tomorrow, but I'm thinking another week. There's haven't been many pre-labor symptoms.

No word on the thermostat yet. Still waiting to hear back from the owners.

Did you send a debt verification letter?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

sheri posted:

If it makes you/wife feel any better, I had no pre labor anything going on until the day I gave birth. Nothing, until I started having contractions on the day of his birth and 8 hours lady I had my son in my arms. :)

Same here. Nothing until that night, and then we were driving to the hospital at 11 pm. This little lady didn't make her debut until the following afternoon.

Bellagio Sampler
Jul 2, 2007
Bitches don't know bout my additional pylons

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

YNAB is the Crossfit of personal finance.

Confirmed. I just found this ridiculous article:
http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/2015/how-budgeting-is-like-crossfit/

YNAB blog titled How Budgeting is like Crossfit posted:

(And with that, I promise to never write about Crossfit again. Because honestly, people who do Crossfit, HATE talking about it. This post was a real stretch for me. HA! I cannot and will not make any such promise. In fact, I’m already drafting my post about Julie working on her “double unders” every single day until she mastered them.)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

SiGmA_X posted:

What. Withholding the extra 25% is a cop out by a lazy payroll department. Determine taxes for bonuses is simple. Publication 15, method 1-b details it clearly. If you run into troubles, it's because you have an income that requires additional withholding over the normal withholding amount - likely due to being MFJ and higher or largely different incomes.

It's not that hard to get your taxes very close to right. There are dozens of very very accurate calculators on the interweb.

Yeah, using the calculator plus state comes out to about 48% so not far off.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Did you send a debt verification letter?

Got em written out and in envelopes for the one debt that is way too high. They claim we owe $550 but it was $50 originally. I'll probably leave the rest alone for now, until we're in a place to settle as Trillian mentioned.

Alright thanks for the delivery input. The past two days have been crazy. One false labor (and accompanying hospital visit until midnight) and last night we thought my wife was close and went for a walk at 3:30am. Drove around for a couple hours after that... and still no baby. It's going to be difficult to focus at work until this baby is here. My wife is on her maternity leave as of yesterday at least.

e: and thanks SMS. The back is good again; I'm going for x-rays shortly but I'm fairly confident it's just muscular. Crossing my fingers on the delivery.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 17, 2015

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

What's that, a Mormon that likes cultish groups with lots of proselytizing involved? I'm shocked.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Knyteguy posted:

Got em written out and in envelopes for the one debt that is way too high. They claim we owe $550 but it was $50 originally. I'll probably leave the rest alone for now, until we're in a place to settle as Trillian mentioned.

Alright thanks for the delivery input. The past two days have been crazy. One false labor (and accompanying hospital visit until midnight) and last night we thought my wife was close and went for a walk at 3:30am. Drove around for a couple hours after that... and still no baby. It's going to be difficult to focus at work until this baby is here. My wife is on her maternity leave as of yesterday at least.

e: and thanks SMS. The back is good again; I'm going for x-rays shortly but I'm fairly confident it's just muscular. Crossing my fingers on the delivery.

Waiting is the worst. I should know because I was due Feb. 10th and here I am still waiting. False labor is a cruel, cruel thing (had that too a few days ago).

Good luck, KG! Hope your little man (and mine) get here soon. :)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Lower your expectations big time. You're probably not going to get a big payday at all, and you're definitely not going to have the time to deal with dealing with this bullshit while having a baby. You'll send out the letter, they probably won't respond, and then you can have them take it off your credit report. Just make sure you mail it first class certified and pay the 3 bux.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Waiting is the worst. I should know because I was due Feb. 10th and here I am still waiting. False labor is a cruel, cruel thing (had that too a few days ago).

Good luck, KG! Hope your little man (and mine) get here soon. :)

Thanks Extrude. Yes it was pretty awful. Let's hope these babies get here soon.

Veskit posted:

Lower your expectations big time. You're probably not going to get a big payday at all, and you're definitely not going to have the time to deal with dealing with this bullshit while having a baby. You'll send out the letter, they probably won't respond, and then you can have them take it off your credit report. Just make sure you mail it first class certified and pay the 3 bux.

Good point. I'd be happy if the debt would just fall off. I'm just concerned about judgements going on that could put a hold on our money.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Thanks Extrude. Yes it was pretty awful. Let's hope these babies get here soon.

Good point. I'd be happy if the debt would just fall off. I'm just concerned about judgements going on that could put a hold on our money.

Knyte can you post your collections already?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Veskit posted:

Knyte can you post your collections already?

It's very true to form for this thread that we're almost 2 years in and still finding out about various accounts Knyteguy has in collections.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Alright it's a little embarrassing.

Equifax:

Transunion:

Dish Network: Forgot to turn in some equipment 2009-2010.
Energy: I thought the deposit would take care of the last fee ($99 deposit?). I'll pay this eventually.
Music: I'm a co-signer (lol). My wife forgot to pay the last payment for $50 during a move in 2013, and we were completely unable to get ahold of the person we needed to contact to pay the bill before they sent it to collections. We tried for weeks with no luck (she had really weird hours and inconsistent days off). The collection is actually more expensive than the thing we bought was and we made almost a year's worth of payments at $50/mo (no interest or finance fees).
Sprint: Don't remember but I think they made me mad and my credit was already terrible. And we were probably really broke.

Other than that it's medical debt.

e: oh and a quick update. Old Fart I took your advice and got our rent on bill pay through our credit union. That'll be nice, and it saves us stamps and more importantly we don't have to think about it everything month. I think everything else is already on auto pay.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 17, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
When you've thrown around the ambiguous "medical debt" before I was definitely thinking the amounts were a lot bigger than this. This isn't much.

ed: nevermind, just saw the one on the second that doesn't show up on the first.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

No company in their right mind outside of the hospital is going to go to court to get a garnishment to get their "five hundred dollars" that they feel you owe them. You zero worries about judgements going your way on any of these things. Go set aside 3 hours to write out debt verifications to each company, stuff them in envelopes addressed to each one, and pay the 4 dollars each for first class cerified letters. At the post office label each receipt you get from each one and wait 35 days.

You'll be really surprised how many dont even respond, but do yourself a favor and do them all at once.

I'm no expert on medical debt and how debt verifications work though, but if it's mostly the same, then I bet you could lower the bill substantially by holding them accountable.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Knyteguy posted:

e: oh and a quick update. Old Fart I took your advice and got our rent on bill pay through our credit union. That'll be nice, and it saves us stamps and more importantly we don't have to think about it everything month. I think everything else is already on auto pay.

Keep in mind that the check comes out on the day you specify. We did this for a bit, turns out the check was routinely getting there a day or two late, and the shady land lord just noted them all, and they came out of our deposit. He clearly knew what was happening, but never mentioned a word.

So if you do this, give yourself enough gap time so if it's over a weekend or something it doesn't burn you.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
So basically $1,500 to $2,000 in random debt and then another $21,000 in a serious medical bill.

I agree with Veskit that no one is coming after you over $50, but I'm surprised you've been able to "recover" your credit score so much with so many things in collections. Have you pulled a credit score from an actual website? I can get mine free from Capital One and it's 150 points different (for me higher) than what Credit Karma claims.

If it was me, and I was really trying to rebuild my credit, I would do as Veskit suggested and draft a debt verification letter to each of those companies and see who responds. Get any of the ones that don't respond kicked off your report immediately.

Following that up I would contact each debt holder and try and settle. For most of the smaller accounts you can "pay for deletion" where you pay them an agreed upon amount and they have it removed from your credit score. The medical debt is definitely going to be the hardest, but it will be on your credit report until 2019 otherwise.

People always talk credit score, but another huge deciding factor when you're taking out loans is monthly income and accounts in collection. Even if you have a 700+ credit score having ~10 accounts in collections is going to look like poo poo. Again I'm a little skeptical that your credit really is in the 600's with that many accounts/dollars in collections.

EDIT: Honestly though you have a baby coming and this probably isn't the right time to be trying to do this. For now it's probably in your best interest to just focus on staying on budget and get through the next year. If you've been on track you should have a hefty emergency fund/savings and can make the decision then.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 18, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Seriously knyte now that I think about it what did you do to higher your credit score? Actual steps taken by you.

Bugamol posted:

Following that up I would contact each debt holder and try and settle. For most of the smaller accounts you can "pay for deletion" where you pay them an agreed upon amount and they have it removed from your credit score. The medical debt is definitely going to be the hardest, but it will be on your credit report until 2019 otherwise.

The tricky part here is how much of a oval office you're willing to be, and well honestly for Knyteguy the answer is "biggest oval office possible". He needs to get back as part of the verification receipts, contracts, itemized bills, signatures, everything he can do to bug them to say gently caress it fine i'll delete it i dont want to bother with you anymore. He doesn't have the money to pay anyone anything. Quite honestly before he came to the thread he had little to no intent of paying back any of these things because he probably would be bankrupt so at least this way he's doing it legally.

For example, the big giant hospital bill will have to show each loving Tylenol spent on his verification to justify the numbers and if they dont, they have to fix it and if they don't fix it it invalidates the debt and you just keep going back and forth until one person settles for next to nothing. They will take the time to do that for the big hospital bill, but they won't for the 54 dollar sprint bill if they have it.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 18, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I edited my original post, but the biggest issue is that this really isn't something Knyteguy should be wasting his time on right now. He should be focusing on his wife and future child. Worry about your debts in 6 months to a year when things calm down.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

MrEnigma posted:

Keep in mind that the check comes out on the day you specify. We did this for a bit, turns out the check was routinely getting there a day or two late, and the shady land lord just noted them all, and they came out of our deposit. He clearly knew what was happening, but never mentioned a word.

So if you do this, give yourself enough gap time so if it's over a weekend or something it doesn't burn you.
Depends on the bank. My CU gets em out 3 days before specified and my dad (family phone plan) reports the check shows up a day before the date on the check, my 2 landlords confirm the same. When I was doing collection accounting a year ago, I saw this about 50% of the time with Billpay checks. Definitely widely varies, and I pay ahead of time anyway because why not. I've also had the USPS deliver (1) of (6) bill pay checks 7 days late... All in the same city. Fucksticks!

Bugamol posted:

I edited my original post, but the biggest issue is that this really isn't something Knyteguy should be wasting his time on right now. He should be focusing on his wife and future child. Worry about your debts in 6 months to a year when things calm down.
This is a solid point.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It's really not that much effort guys to handle something like this. Knyte would make the time to watch football and it's about the same amount of effort. I wouldn't stop him if he's motivated now because he could easily find himself unmotivated later.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You're talking about a guy who gets surprised when they run out of food.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Veskit posted:

It's really not that much effort guys to handle something like this. Knyte would make the time to watch football and it's about the same amount of effort. I wouldn't stop him if he's motivated now because he could easily find himself unmotivated later.

It isn't much effort, but it's still unneeded stress that doesn't need to happen *right now,* despite what KG's brain often tells him when he suddenly gets motivated to do something. First KG gets hyper "motivated" to do something and creates grandiose plans of all he is going to accomplish, the result has historically been a very unwise expenditure. The past few times he's actually been able to come to the thread and pare down his plans and control those impulses though. Attaboy KG! :golfclap:

The other component that makes the debt verification prospect difficult is that it seems KG is banking on the debt being cleared. Even if half of his creditors agree to settle for less than owed, that's still a lot of money with a newborn, wife on maternity leave, and brand new set of hospital bills.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
We've sent what I've already written up (one agency on both our credit reports), and I'll go at it again in a couple months. Plus I don't even have a printer at the moment and handwriting it all was annoying. Veskit I have no problem being a gigantic annoying rear end in a top hat to a collection company if it has a chance in hell of reducing liability (Especially with that hospital bill. What if it a judgement happens before we have that much in the bank?). Did you read about all of that methodology in that debt thread? Someone has brought up a debt forum twice in this thread. I'll start learning more about my rights and stuff. All of that medical stuff you posted sounds like really good advice.

No worries guys this will be put on hold once the baby is here; I'm just trying to focus on something else besides the wait. Plus like I said I too don't feel like we're in a position to settle any debt right now. I don't want to move forward with anything new until the emergency fund is done. Extrude any news for you? Hope you had your baby at least.

My mother in law is down staying with us to help out when the baby comes. The total stay will be 10 days since last Monday. I didn't plan for that in the budget. We ended up doing another grocery run, so we broke the budget there unfortunately. I'll see how much we have come Saturday (the 1st) and we can probably take much of the excess from March. We have (more than) a freezer full of stuff so there should be food for March anyway.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
So it's not all negative news:

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Do you not find it odd that for the past 3-4 months you've been saying your freezer is full and you'll have no need to buy groceries, and yet you seem to blow your grocery budget every single month?

Have you tried the "itemize your receipt into categories to see where the money is really going" idea?

It just feels like a broken record with you that you "won't need to buy groceries! hey we busted our grocery budget!". Just an honest question, not a personal attack or anything. I still think you're doing a pretty good job overall.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

what did you do to improve your credit you never explained it

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Do you not find it odd that for the past 3-4 months you've been saying your freezer is full and you'll have no need to buy groceries, and yet you seem to blow your grocery budget every single month?

Have you tried the "itemize your receipt into categories to see where the money is really going" idea?

It just feels like a broken record with you that you "won't need to buy groceries! hey we busted our grocery budget!". Just an honest question, not a personal attack or anything. I still think you're doing a pretty good job overall.

My wife and I both acknowledge that we suck at groceries. I dunno what to do except itemize everything and post it here for input, which I'll do to see if anyone sees some glaring issues with or something (which would be appreciated).

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

what did you do to improve your credit you never explained it

Oh sorry.

I think most of it is the secured credit card with a very low monthly reported utilization and having a really solid recent (few years) history of on-time payments for the loans I did have. Plus some old collection accounts fell off. Just getting accepted with the credit card jumped my score up. My official Equifax score from that secured credit card is 568, so grain of salt and all with Credit Karma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Wow you use less power than my server, fridge, and two lights left on for the cat use.

Hand written?! No printer at work?? Save $40 from your discretionary and buy one.

• Locked thread