Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Why do you have liberal guilt about playing a video game Jesus Christ go see a shrink or feed some kids in Ethiopia or something what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The game is called Total War. Expect some arseholery.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Wafflecopper posted:

Why do you have liberal guilt about playing a video game Jesus Christ go see a shrink or feed some kids in Ethiopia or something what the hell

Don't know how much of a troll you are, but a) I've already acknowledged my mental dissonance on this point, b) I come from the background of games where the protagonist usually exhibits the same dissonance by wiping out whole populations but then putting down their foot on some arbitrary and not always significant matter, c) for some reason you're allowed to be immersed in games in every capacity except empathy? d)

Mans posted:

Just pretend people are converting to your culture because you're such a good king. Run low taxes on all cities and build brothels on all of them. Let your family members in said brothel infested low taxed cities so they develop traits that turn them into drunken fratboys who just care about having fun with the commoners.

Peace through superior alcohol and booze.

I approve of this policy and will implement it asap.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

supermikhail posted:

Don't know how much of a troll you are, but a) I've already acknowledged my mental dissonance on this point, b) I come from the background of games where the protagonist usually exhibits the same dissonance by wiping out whole populations but then putting down their foot on some arbitrary and not always significant matter, c) for some reason you're allowed to be immersed in games in every capacity except empathy? d)

I approve of this policy and will implement it asap.

A big part of emotional maturity is being able to suspend disbelief and compartmentalize certain things. People who play shooters 'kill' 100s of people in a few hours but they aren't psycho mass murderers. I'd never harm anyone in real life but I can pull off sick headshots on campers all day everyday. I can also play a world conquering game as a conquerer without damaging my soul or feeling bad for the faceless pixel numbers going up or down. It doesnt make you better than anyone else, if anything it shows how stunted you are so dont play the whole "well I can exhibit empathy unlike some people" card over videogame pixels.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Ughhh. Okay, let's say something not as broad as empathy. You may have not noticed but I didn't say a single word about the real world. Actually I would greatly appreciate if I weren't treated as an inferior human being if I experienced videogames differently in this particular way.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

You should seriously consider games like Settlers series, or maybe Sim City. Total War series might be palatable for you only if you mod it to give your faction massive relationship boost with all the others and pursue cultural victory (it's possible in Rome 2). But then Paradox games are way better at that kind of stuff.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alex314 posted:

You should seriously consider games like Settlers series, or maybe Sim City. Total War series might be palatable for you only if you mod it to give your faction massive relationship boost with all the others and pursue cultural victory (it's possible in Rome 2). But then Paradox games are way better at that kind of stuff.

Ironically the victory conditions in Rome is so dumb that you'll need to conquer much more to get economic and cultural victories than military ones :v:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mans posted:

Ironically the victory conditions in Rome is so dumb that you'll need to conquer much more to get economic and cultural victories than military ones :v:

Total War doesn't like it when you don't total war.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I still hope someday they will do a 30 Years War game and call it Total War: Total War

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Earwicker posted:

I still hope someday they will do a 30 Years War game and call it Total War: Total War

Bundle all the games in the series together and sell it as "Total Total War".

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I look forward to the title centered on the competition between high-fiber breakfast cereal brands or, Total War: Total.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If pc strategy games were around back in the day maybe Hitler would've been posting on TWC about how Alexander the Great was Aryan instead of gassing jews.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Smoothrich posted:

If pc strategy games were around back in the day maybe Hitler would've been posting on TWC about how Alexander the Great was Aryan instead of gassing jews.

Seriously I wonder how many women are alive today because creepy weirdos stay inside obsessing about Fallout or something.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

supermikhail posted:

Oh, yeah. Some dissonance here, I guess. :downs: I'm totally for fightin and conquerin, but religious and ethnic intolerance doesn't stand with me.

Then do the ol' Warhammer strategy: Conquer Earth, destroy all places of worship, suffer a massive rebellion, die and then have the entirety of humanity worship you and your several doomstacks of Space Marines.

Actually, Warhammer (Horus Heresy era) really fits with Total War's playstyle. Big doomstacks (Legions) with great commanders (primarchs) who may get pissy and rebel at the most inopportune moment with not a care for the socio-economic side of things.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Seriously I wonder how many women are alive today because creepy weirdos stay inside obsessing about Fallout or something.

"Well, I've been meaning to make a suit out of human skin, but I don't know when I'll ever find time for it while I am berating online idiots who are using the wrong kind of sandals in my historical video game"

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
I forgot there were women out there on the streets.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Anybody hear anything new about Total War Arena? It sounds cool.

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
A batch of new alpha test keys where given out today, so i expect some NDA breaks spilling out tomorrow.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ScotchDK posted:

A batch of new alpha test keys where given out today, so i expect some NDA breaks spilling out tomorrow.

Oh, what's the thread's stance on NDA breaks? Maybe alpha keys have landed among us.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 18, 2015

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
GIVE ME MEDIEVAL 3.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

HonorableTB posted:

GIVE ME MEDIEVAL 3.

same

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

but that's not how you spell thirty years war???

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
It seems DarthMod actually made & released a game after his vow to never again mod Total War. Ultimate General: Gettysburg currently has "91% recommended this game" on Steam and it costs twelve bucks.

Anyone tried it?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Welmu posted:

It seems DarthMod actually made & released a game after his vow to never again mod Total War. Ultimate General: Gettysburg currently has "91% recommended this game" on Steam and it costs twelve bucks.

Anyone tried it?

It's basically a modernized Sid Meier's Gettysburg. It's a little barebones but it's fun and pretty easy to get into.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HonorableTB posted:

GIVE ME MEDIEVAL 3.

You'll get a pseudo dota and you'll be happy!

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Welmu posted:

Anyone tried it?

It's good, but also pretty short unless you get into multiplayer. No Star Wars crap in sight luckily, but that just might be because of copyright issues. The AI is miles beyond Total War.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

GIVE ME MEDIEVAL 3.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

but that's not how you spell thirty years war???

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I reinstalled Empire thinking "hey maybe it's not as bad as I remember". I started a Swedish campaign, got into my first battle against Russia, I've got a nice cavalry charge about to take out some Russians who'd tried to flank me, right as we're about to hit half of my cavalry unit is blown away and the rest of them route immediately. Why? Because my artillery inexplicably swung all the way around when I wasn't looking and decided to start taking wild shots at the Russian unit, they miss widely and instead destroy my own cavalry unit. I don't even know how they turned the cannons fast enough to do it.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Empire is my favorite total war game I have 5 times as many hours there than the rest combined there I said it.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Empire is my favorite total war game I have 5 times as many hours there than the rest combined there I said it.

I also love Empire. Maybe it's because I have a raging hard-on for the time period.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Imperial Splendour is still the best mod for it too.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think my favorite thing about Empire, other than the time period, is the crazy amount of popular resistance you face in conquered capital regions. It's nice to have a reason to try to make peace with enemies instead of just conquering the poo poo out of them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Since i'm poor and havent bought Attila yet can someone recommend me some good Dark Ages mods for Barbarian Invasion? Vanilla's fun, except for goddamn Paladin cavalry gently caress you Charlemagne. I've heard Viking Invasion 2 is really fun but also extremely tough. Any good recommendations?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I reinstalled Empire thinking "hey maybe it's not as bad as I remember". I started a Swedish campaign, got into my first battle against Russia, I've got a nice cavalry charge about to take out some Russians who'd tried to flank me, right as we're about to hit half of my cavalry unit is blown away and the rest of them route immediately. Why? Because my artillery inexplicably swung all the way around when I wasn't looking and decided to start taking wild shots at the Russian unit, they miss widely and instead destroy my own cavalry unit. I don't even know how they turned the cannons fast enough to do it.

Did you remember to turn off fire-at-will? All warscape artillery does that unless you turn it off.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I'm playing Shogun 2, and it is really cool. I don't quite understand how to use cavalry, though. I get that you should charge enemy units, and not let them get into melees, but I have trouble getting them to disengage and regroup.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I can't remember whether Shogun 2 has this, but you definitely want the 'guard formation' button on if the cav unit has one.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

DrankSinatra posted:

I'm playing Shogun 2, and it is really cool. I don't quite understand how to use cavalry, though. I get that you should charge enemy units, and not let them get into melees, but I have trouble getting them to disengage and regroup.

Just keep mashing right-click.

If you are planning to cycle-charge a unit, make sure there is a clear path for your cav to get in and out. Any unit that contacts another unit while it's "disengaged" will stop and start fighting again. It's not a death knell, but to get them out you need to sit there and right-click for a while. For this reason, it's better to cycle-charge exposed units rather than ones in the middle of an army.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly though, cav aren't worth it. Use light cav to run down units and stick to infantry. The amount of spears in the period means its almost impossible to use them properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

DrankSinatra posted:

Ideally, you should also tie down the enemy unit with a unit of spearmen or something else.