Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CronoGamer posted:

Thanks for this! I've seen it mentioned a few times and been really curious to try it out. Will have to make sure we go with a group then. Were prices about what you'd expect?

Prices were reasonable for size + quality. IIRC tax may included in the menu prices, which if true makes it even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
China Chilcano was pretty drat good. I ended up doing the Restaurant Week menu while my date had a few dishes that the manager checked on with the chef since she’s a special case (vegetarian with a garlic allergy whattup). The food is definitely a fusion between Chinese, Japanese and Peruvian cuisine, I think the most Peruvian dish I had was the ceviche which was pretty great. Lady friend started with fried plantain chips with a sweet potato/rocoto sauce (which had garlic so she couldn’t eat it), she had veggie dumplings (she used the remaining sauce as dip for the plaintains) and a salad. I also had a pork belly steam bun sandwich which was super delicious and had the Aeropuerto which is basically fried rice with 20 different veggies (it has the cutest baby carrots and there are also veggies shaped like planes so you can recreate 9/11 using your chopsticks and drink glasses!). For dessert I had a condensed milk custard with passion fruit and the lady had a pretty cool dessert from the regular menu, it was a fried cookie on top of chocolate with fried plantain and some really weird ice cream. It was yummy.

My favorite part of the night was watching a couple come in and try to walk-in without a reservation, told they could have a seat by the bar (it was full) and then try to sit on the table next to us only to have the hostess tell them that that table was not in fact by the bar. What makes people think that they can just go and sit at an empty table?

The atmosphere is interesting since there's like 4 different sections to the restaurant and they have their own theme. There were giant red lights on the ceiling and a giant red swirl kept reflecting off my glasses so that was a bit annoying. There was also a giant painted lady face on the wall, which took me a while to notice since I was seated right by the chin.

Overall a pretty great meal with two cocktails for about $65 each. It was a rare instance where the Restaurant Week pricing paid off since my food would have added up to around $50 by itself.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I'm a fat goon (but I repeat myself), what are some really good all you can eat options in DC? Friend has said Tony Cheng's is good, any opinions?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I'm a fat goon (but I repeat myself), what are some really good all you can eat options in DC? Friend has said Tony Cheng's is good, any opinions?

Dishes of India in Belle View Shopping center just South of Old Town is solid.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Dishes of India in Belle View Shopping center just South of Old Town is solid.

Yep. There's a similar Indian place in Fairfax right by the Courthouse. Forget the name, but I used to go all the time when I worked out there.

In the city proper? I dunno about buffets, but the Zengo brunch is unlimited small plates, which has saved my hungover self before weekend afternoon Caps games more than once.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Veritek83 posted:

Yep. There's a similar Indian place in Fairfax right by the Courthouse. Forget the name, but I used to go all the time when I worked out there.

Bollywood Bistro

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Veritek83 posted:

In the city proper? I dunno about buffets, but the Zengo brunch is unlimited small plates, which has saved my hungover self before weekend afternoon Caps games more than once.

OK, I need to do this next time I can drop that sort of money on brunch. That's awesome.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I just got back from a week in DC and I want to thank whoever first posted about DCity because I didn't know how much I was craving good barbecue until I went there.

sooooo good

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

ChickenArise posted:

OK, I need to do this next time I can drop that sort of money on brunch. That's awesome.

Great food - but my wife had her credit card number stolen there, FYI.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

El Miguel posted:

Great food - but my wife had her credit card number stolen there, FYI.

Good to know- I've been twice a few years ago and felt that it was a little overpriced but delicious. AKA typical price for DC. I wonder if any of the times I had my CC stolen was from Zengo; it happened a few times in the span of a year.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Any restaurant weeks horror stories or good experiences?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wachepti posted:

Any restaurant weeks horror stories or good experiences?

I was at District Commons on Wednesday and saw Joe & Hadassa Lieberman partaking. So I suppose that's a horror story.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I finally went to Sushi Taro happy hour yesterday.

Wow, that was really good. Uni black truffle ice cream is a bit strange.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ChickenArise posted:

I finally went to Sushi Taro happy hour yesterday.

Wow, that was really good. Uni black truffle ice cream is a bit strange.

Oh man I went there back in September, did the tasting menu and totally forgot to do any sort of trip report. The bottom line is it's some of the best sushi I've had, and the non-sushi items were equally as tasty. Decor kind of sucks, but the service was great.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Went there for the lunch special a few months back. It was good, but I wouldn't make it a regular visit. What was special about their happy hour?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

CronoGamer posted:

Went there for the lunch special a few months back. It was good, but I wouldn't make it a regular visit. What was special about their happy hour?

1/2 price on most sushi, some of the rolls, and most drinks. Downside: you need to line up before they open, probably 15-30 mins, if you want to get a seat for happy hour.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Hi -- I was wondering if anyone has reccomendations for good places to go for Valentines Day that won't be completely booked up.

Although I'm open to any sort of food, if they have really good biscuits and/or rare steaks that would be great.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

foutre posted:

Hi -- I was wondering if anyone has reccomendations for good places to go for Valentines Day that won't be completely booked up.

Although I'm open to any sort of food, if they have really good biscuits and/or rare steaks that would be great.
Just start waiting at Rose's Luxury at 12PM so you can get an 11PM seating imo.

Here's a handy guide. http://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/the-best-restaurants-in-dc-that-dont-take-reservations-2015.htm

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I realized I forgot to post a trip report from dinner with Patriarch a few months ago!

I chose Chez Billy in Petworth. http://chezbilly.com/

The website is kind of wonky.

The food was well worth the trip, though. It was kind of hipster/traditional French cuisine, but it worked. I had a great Old Fashioned while Mr. W and I waited for Patriarch to arrive. We shared the rillettes for an app, and I had the duck confit for my entree. Both were spot on. The only disappointment was the Tarte Tatin, which was an apple based dessert, but definitely NOT a tarte tatin.

Check it out if you're in the neighborhood

Fitzy77
Dec 26, 2008

So I know how hard it may be to get a table for Valentine's Day, but does anyone know of any romantic-ish places that have great gluten free options? My wife has a gluten intolerance, so it tends to limit our options. We live in Alexandria, so anywhere that's semi close to the metro line would be great.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Fitzy77 posted:

So I know how hard it may be to get a table for Valentine's Day, but does anyone know of any romantic-ish places that have great gluten free options? My wife has a gluten intolerance, so it tends to limit our options. We live in Alexandria, so anywhere that's semi close to the metro line would be great.

Bet del rey has a place that meets those needs but I cant think of any off hand.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Animale posted:

Just start waiting at Rose's Luxury at 12PM so you can get an 11PM seating imo.

Here's a handy guide. http://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/the-best-restaurants-in-dc-that-dont-take-reservations-2015.htm

Thanks, turns out Union Market (somewhere at the bottom of that article) is right near where I live, and it apparently has everything that I want in the world.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Any lunch gems in chinatown worth mentioning? My work just moved there recently and I'm still in the process of sorting through all the options

Obviously I have no problem eating at Panera/Cava/Chipotle/RFDs/Nandos/whatever but so far I've had good experiences checking out places like Mandu (amazing hh for chinatown), China Boy, Sundevich and the like. And I hit up Daikaya and Graffiatos every now and then, Graffiatos in particular is amazing when all you want is a beer and a pizza

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Chinatown Express?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

TheresNoThyme posted:

Any lunch gems in chinatown worth mentioning? My work just moved there recently and I'm still in the process of sorting through all the options

Depending where you are in Chinatown you might be able to walk to Sundevich, though it may be a hike. Great sandwiches though.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Wiseguy NY Pizza and Carving Room are at 4th & H on the first floor of that apartment building and are both solid imo.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

kedo posted:

Depending where you are in Chinatown you might be able to walk to Sundevich, though it may be a hike. Great sandwiches though.

Yea I mentioned them in my post as one of the good finds thus far. I'm by the chinatown metro so it's a bit of a walk but worth the occasional trip.

drgitlin posted:

Chinatown Express?

I've had bad luck with the chinese places right by the metro. I get the vibe that most of them are kinda tourist trappy, though maybe if you can recommend something good on the menu I'd give them another shot. China boy is legit though and I highly recommend giving them a try - Good signs were them having only two real menu items and half the people who go there speak Mandarin (according to yelp it's actually just a rice noodle place that sells lunch on the side). Best beef chow fun I've ever had

Veritek83 posted:

Wiseguy NY Pizza and Carving Room are at 4th & H on the first floor of that apartment building and are both solid imo.

Cool, hadn't heard of them before. I'll check em out

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

TheresNoThyme posted:

Yea I mentioned them in my post as one of the good finds thus far.

Doh, reading comprehension failure.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Veritek83 posted:

Wiseguys in particular offers some of the best slices I have ever eaten (speaking as a NY transplant)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's a different Wise Guys than the one littered around US college towns, right?

Like, the ones that don't even REALLY get into the groove until ten 'till midnight, let you order something called "the bigass" and 30 minutes later something shows up at your door that you have to turn the box sideways to get through...

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Hed posted:

That's a different Wise Guys than the one littered around US college towns, right?

Like, the ones that don't even REALLY get into the groove until ten 'till midnight, let you order something called "the bigass" and 30 minutes later something shows up at your door that you have to turn the box sideways to get through...

Correct. This Wiseguys only has one location

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

DARPA Dad posted:

Correct. This Wiseguys only has one location

Soon to be 2! :choco:

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Chinatown Express owns pretty hard, get the noodles.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Romantic places within walking distance of the orange line for this weekend? Vegetarian options a must (for her, I'll eat the gently caress out of a steak).

Please send help. I've already said "yeah I totally picked a place out" and now she's asking me how to dress.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Any metro stop preferences? Price range? Culinary preference? I'm a big fan of Liberty Tavern and Lyon Hall and both should have veggie options, but you could probably find a more 'romantic' place rather than just a good date place.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Any stop and price really. Within walking from the stop would be awesome but could always cab it a bit. Lyon Hall is great, could definitely do there. I was checking out Red Hen but it's sort of a hike and they already there's no way I'm getting a reservation for a Saturday night.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Central is pretty reliably good and is a short walk from Metro Center. I think it was in the top 10 of the Washingtonian's best list for 2014. I've never had a problem getting a reservation there, it's pretty big. If I remember correctly they have a few vegetarian entrees on the menu, but you can go wild with sides as well.

Whether or not it's romantic would depend on the person I suppose, but it's casual classy with a nice wine list and solid service and what have you.

kedo fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 17, 2015

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

internet jerk posted:

Any stop and price really. Within walking from the stop would be awesome but could always cab it a bit. Lyon Hall is great, could definitely do there. I was checking out Red Hen but it's sort of a hike and they already there's no way I'm getting a reservation for a Saturday night.

Founding Farmers is good, near Foggy Bottom. You've also got everything on Barrack's Row - I like Ambar and Tash, Belga Cafe is good too.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm a huge fan of Belga Cafe and need to get back sooner rather than later. Out west you also have Rustico and the recently-opened Kapnos Taverna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

internet jerk posted:

Conceivably, you could get to Red Hen when it opens and put your name down for a table, then go have a drink at Rustik or Boundary Stone or El Camino or Costa Brava (jesus I remember this neighborhood when you couldn't do any of that) until the table was ready. But the metro is a long walk in this weather.

In Capitol Hill there's also Beucharts.

• Locked thread