Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Skuto posted:

Yeah but did you have team picks like you do now? That naturally keeps the teams balanced provided the captains have *some* idea who's how strong.

Yes it has always had captains picks. My point was more that for a small regular playerbase like in goonmans you don't really need a matchmaking/rating system to have fair games. If you are randomizing teams then yes you would need the rating system.

quote:

Have to put a strong punishment on the abandon though, else this is gameable in the manner described a few posts ago.

The person that abandons has their rating adjusted by whatever amount the 5v5 loss would have been. As far as punishment goes I would rather see a dota style low priority queue for people that abandon rather than the cooldown we have in csgo right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

astr0man posted:

The person that abandons has their rating adjusted by whatever amount the 5v5 loss would have been.

In itself it doesn't help: if you play with a stack one player can sacrifice himself each time you're about to lose and the stack as a whole will lose rating slower on losses. The detriment is the punishment for the abandon, not the ratings loss (that would have happened anyway).

quote:

As far as punishment goes I would rather see a dota style low priority queue for people that abandon rather than the cooldown we have in csgo right now.

Fixed number of games instead of time and having to play with other quitters/griefers? Yeah, I agree.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
No matter what you do people are always going to find a way to game your ratings system. I think it is better to just go about separating the punishment from the ratings system, i.e. if you have a stack with an abandon then just send the whole stack into LPQ. Also, if you want a really fair individual player rating you shouldn't allow people to queue for ranked with a stack. Either you queue solo or with 5, and for stacks with 5 you only assign ratings to the entire team of 5 rather than the individual players.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

astr0man posted:

No matter what you do people are always going to find a way to game your ratings system. I think it is better to just go about separating the punishment from the ratings system, i.e. if you have a stack with an abandon then just send the whole stack into LPQ. Also, if you want a really fair individual player rating you shouldn't allow people to queue for ranked with a stack. Either you queue solo or with 5, and for stacks with 5 you only assign ratings to the entire team of 5 rather than the individual players.

It's infinitely frustrating that the dota team had this figured out from the beginning and we still haven't gotten it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Necc0 posted:

It's infinitely frustrating that the dota team had this figured out from the beginning and we still haven't gotten it.

I highly doubt that is coincidental. Valve are notorious for doing this kind of market testing. It is also plausible that there are not enough concurrent MM searches to cater to a low-priority queue. The number on steamgaug.es shows there are still about 10x as many people searching for DotA games, even if the unique player count is only 2x that of CS:GO these days.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Necc0 posted:

Dota2 still allows 2 & 3 stacks, just not 4 stacks for ranked (AFAIK). Which makes the whole solo/party MMR thing a bit strange.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Jeza posted:

The number on steamgaug.es shows there are still about 10x as many people searching for DotA games, even if the unique player count is only 2x that of CS:GO these days.

That's odd. You sure its always like this? It's actually almost 20x now which makes no sense.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I was top fragging on T on Overpass last night on sub.io, but managed to cost my team like 8 rounds on CT. I can't seem to figure CT side out. I die when I push and I die when I camp. Any words of wisdom or guides for overpass? I think the weirdness of the map throws off my game sense.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 17, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Skuto posted:

That's odd. You sure its always like this? It's actually almost 20x now which makes no sense.

Dota is way more popular across the globe and is at peak time in asian countries right now. Counter Strike isn't nearly as popular over there

e: vvvv that too vvvv

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Skuto posted:

It is not odd at all. DotA 2 only offers a MM service while CS:GO is still predominantly populated by private server hosts. Surf, DM, Public, every 3rd party MM service etc.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Necc0 posted:

Dota is way more popular across the globe and is at peak time in asian countries right now. Counter Strike isn't nearly as popular over there

e: vvvv that too vvvv

That might be true but I doubt you'd see 10x-20x the number of current players. Unfortunately http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ is down right now.

Edit: According to SteamCharts it's actually 900k Dota vs 300k CSGO, so 3x not 20x :-)

quote:

DotA 2 only offers a MM service

That's a great point. Also all the Casual CS:GO players don't count.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 17, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I was top fragging on T on Overpass last night on sub.io, but managed to cost my team like 8 rounds on CT. I can't seem to figure CT side out. I die when I push and I die when I camp. Any words of wisdom or guides for overpass? I think the weirdness of the map throws off my game sense.

Totally not avoiding working right now.

Overpass is a map where having good awareness pays dividends. The CT rotate is very short compared to other maps. Reading what the other team is doing and communication will help you anticipate getting to the right site before they even plant the bomb. Playing B is like playing most other CS bombsites - just hold your angles and use smokes. Holding A is where controlled aggression can really pay off in terms of gaining information - so pushing long A or stairs can tell you a massive amount about what the other team is doing, which on overpass is pretty game changing.

It's hard to give any magic advice that will help you. Trying to survive rather than challenge is a more valid tactic when defending a site on overpass because you are likely to be able to have a 4-5man retake if you can stay alive. That just isn't the case for a map like d2, for example, although you do see pro teams do it occasionally - falling back from mid and b and then 5 man retaking. Never gonna see it happen in a goonman though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

NiP v. fnatic BO3 starting now http://www.hitbox.tv/efragtv

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
The creator of Mirage has released the sneak peak of Mirage II. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmG76q-7CaE

It's for 1.6 and not GO

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Suran37 posted:

The creator of Mirage has released the sneak peak of Mirage II. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmG76q-7CaE

It's for 1.6 and not GO

What a wanky snorefest of a video. 10 minutes about a video game map. gently caress. Map looks super open, might be interesting.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Teams are up for tourney.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie. posted:

Have skins gotten exponentially more expensive or what?

I'm going through my inventory and seeing what they cost on the market and I easily have $1000 of guns and pistols (my ak alone is worth $300).

So I'm cashing out of CS:GO because lol all the guns are exactly the same skinned or not, and I'm getting a friend request per minute. I'm assuming these are all scammers trying to get me to give it to them off-market?

edit: In other news the first 4-5 skins have already paid for my summer sale money so woohoo.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Ernie. posted:

So I'm cashing out of CS:GO because lol all the guns are exactly the same skinned or not, and I'm getting a friend request per minute. I'm assuming these are all scammers trying to get me to give it to them off-market?

edit: In other news the first 4-5 skins have already paid for my summer sale money so woohoo.

If they are lvl 0 yes this is the case. They will try to send you a bitly link or something like that to download malware so they can take your account and skins. Even high level people you have to be wary of and search them on steamrep if you do want to do an offsite sales, but that typically is only needed for items over $400.

All the ones I have seen with long custom profile pages explaining who they are have been scammers as well, they have just a big block of text explaining their "conditions" for trading, and almost all will say you have to go first in a cash transaction.

Alighieri fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 17, 2015

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

Suran37 posted:

It's for 1.6 and not GO

someone should make a morrowind mod for cs that uses this music

or a cs mod for morrowind w/e

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Stumbletron posted:

a cs mod for morrowind w/e

And I thought I had trouble connecting my shots now

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Damage to CLIFFRACER 0 in 140 missed shots

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
"Someone boost me mid"
"Nah dude, just use these scrolls I found near Seyda Neen"

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
For the last few weeks or so, I've been unable to download the vast majority of MM replays. This goes for my friends in those matches too.

Anyone else having this?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Is Season not played?

lagcats
Oct 7, 2014

you know the deal

True and Real posted:

Is Season not played?

not as much since they updated the map, the old season was much better imo

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

40 OZ posted:

For the last few weeks or so, I've been unable to download the vast majority of MM replays. This goes for my friends in those matches too.

Anyone else having this?

Yup. Wanted to review a demo from a few days ago that had a guy playing real shady and I can't get it to download.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

lagcats posted:

not as much since they updated the map, the old season was much better imo

Agreed. The less bright ESEA one was perfect. That and the change to the trench in the new one drive me nuts

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hooray, I won a game where 4/5 of the other team were throwing to tank their MMR and I am apparently a silver 6 despite playing comp mode for all of 10 rounds in the past year and being really bad at Counter-Strike :shepface:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

All my keys have finally paid off! I just opened a top-tier item: a foil sticker :smugbert:

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

True and Real posted:

Agreed. The less bright ESEA one was perfect. That and the change to the trench in the new one drive me nuts

I thought I was the only one that hates the blindingly bright walls.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
1v4 clutch ace from mm tonight on season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsbbcwNYwMg

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Gristley Bear posted:

I thought I was the only one that hates the blindingly bright walls.

I sometimes have a hard time seeing where the corners are. Can't be the only one to have this problem, can I?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Got my first clutch tonight as well. 2v1 on T-side of...gently caress, what map was it? Tecron or something like that? I had good teammates who gave me really great position information and allowed me to kill the last two CT's though. Kinda wish I had recorded it.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
oh my god mirage2 why not make it for csgo :negative:

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 18, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

You guys are all wrong because Season is one of the few maps that does contrast right. Like the only possible sight line that I could ever find any issue with is maybe on lower B if you're trying to look at T-side upper that has a ton of visual noise from the tree leaves outside.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

The Jumpoff posted:

Got my first clutch tonight as well. 2v1 on T-side of...gently caress, what map was it? Tecron or something like that? I had good teammates who gave me really great position information and allowed me to kill the last two CT's though. Kinda wish I had recorded it.

If it was on goonmans, all matches are available on sub.io
If it was regular MM, you can open CS and goto watch > your matches to see your last 8 games

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

oh my god mirage2 why not make it for csgo :negative:
He started making it before CS:GO was even announced, and he decided he didn't have the time or motivation to learn a "new" level editor (despite CSGO Hammer still just being the HL1 Hammer with extra buttons and poo poo grafted onto its corpse).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Kins posted:

He started making it before CS:GO was even announced, and he decided he didn't have the time or motivation to learn a "new" level editor (despite CSGO Hammer still just being the HL1 Hammer with extra buttons and poo poo grafted onto its corpse).

I'm pretty sure you can just load GoldSrc maps in Source Hammer anyway.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm pretty sure you can just load GoldSrc maps in Source Hammer anyway.
Yeah, you can, but you'll need to replace and fix entities in some cases (a while back I recompiled a GoldSrc map for Garry's Mod and door brushes moved in the completely wrong direction!) which can be a bit of a hassle. And then you have to account for whatever minor changes there may be between the two games (bullet penetration, player height etc.) before delving into the terror that is the art pass.

It can be painful, but he probably could have gotten it into CS:GO in a greybox state in like, a month or two. Granted, that'd be a month or two of just fixing and updating poo poo with no actual progress on the layout etc., which might be a bit demoralizing...

I doubt he'll have trouble finding someone who can GO the map up for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksonAces
Aug 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

I doubt he'll have trouble finding someone who can GO the map up for him.

I'd do it. Be good practice, actually.

• Locked thread