Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

bug food is everywhere in expeditions gather the red and blue pine cone like things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Lot of vets in this thread should probably remember their first exposure to MH. I know I tried the FU demo way back in the mists of time and loving hated it for years afterwards. We're all godkiller experts now but MH is absolutely one of the most obtuse games out there, way more than Dark Souls, and if you're misunderstanding or you just don't know how some things work the game is just painful 'till someone teaches you.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think I killed Seltas in like eight minutes tops when I first fought him. I don't know how it could possibly take the full 50 minutes unless you're only hitting once every minute and half of the hits are aimed at a nearby Jaggi. Seltas is the bug! Definitely try changing weapons though. SNS is cool and I enjoy it when I use it, but without an element or status those quick tiny hits do not give the same level of satisfaction compared to any other weapon, IMO.

I had to make sure it wasn't Emalde posting this

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I died to a jaggi the first time i played it because i couldn't keep my guy facing him.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Mithross posted:

A few pages later, I have a possible solution. My brother and I had this same problem, and it was because he had set his friends list not to broadcast what game he was playing. As soon as he changed that back to the default, I could find him just fine.

Any idea where I set this?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

megalodong posted:

I died to a jaggi the first time i played it because i couldn't keep my guy facing him.

same, but it was a velociprey

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Nettle Soup posted:

Any idea where I set this?

did you check the setting in the 3ds friend list?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The first time I played Monster Hunter (I started with Freedom Unite) it took me ages to actually beat velocidrome. I think that was the first "real" monster in FU at least. Khezu destroyed me as well.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my first royal ludroth fight in 3u took like 40 minutes because i thought the hammer whirlwind attack was the best because it hit the monster the most times :downs:

my first peco brought me right up to the time wire since i was using hunting horn for the first time and again had no clue what i was doing

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Colapops posted:

The first time I played Monster Hunter (I started with Freedom Unite) it took me ages to actually beat velocidrome. I think that was the first "real" monster in FU at least. Khezu destroyed me as well.

I had 500 hours in freedom unite and at least 10 or 20 were me bashing my head against that loving khezu

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Downloading game off the eshop now. I mostly played with the lightbowgun in MH3U, but kinda want to try the Heavy Bowgun instead this time. Any general advice for HBG?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Well. In 3 minutes I'm going to run out of time...and I can't even find the thing right now. The paintball seemed to wear off quickly. I'll try a long sword next time, but I think I just suck. That was just aggravating as hell and now I'm going to fail the mission. gently caress.

Are you by any chance starting the mission from the guild hall? My first experience with Monster Hunter was Tri on the Wii and I jumped right into the multiplayer town and started trying to do missions solo and got frustrated and quit because it was taking 40+ minutes to kill anything.

Like 2 years later I gave Freedom Unite a try and realized I had been fighting monsters balanced for 4 players.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So are the Caravan quests like 3U where you have Low Rank and High Rank and maybe a single G Rank boss at the end?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Awesome! posted:

did you check the setting in the 3ds friend list?

Will do, we couldn't because we were still in game and it locks tabbing out to the main menu. Thanks for the help! (He's gone to bed now, will check in the morning)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sorry, I meant the first half of that post to be teasing before talking about the weapon, but rereading it it does sound mean-spirited. That's my bad.

A good friend of mine nearly timed out against Qurupeco the first time because he forgot whetstones and was using Hammer for the first time so he could barely hit it before it flew away again. The game can defintely be off-putting to newcomers. But once you find the weapon that clicks it quickly becomes a blast.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

guys im a vet at this series *tries to shock trap a gypceros*
Uhg loving games bugged, crapcom

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I was around ten years old when I played the original Monster Hunter game. Barely got past Kut-Ku and couldn't beat Cephadrome. When I played Tri, I pretty much got carried through low rank.

Had a much easier time with 3U but I still got stuck on Duramboros for a week.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm annoyed that leveling up your guild quests can make it so you can't even attempt them. When my Kirin quest hit 31 it went from HR3 required to HR8. It'd probably kick my rear end but it's my quest dammit so at least let me give it a try.

Colapops posted:

The first time I played it took me several minutes and all of my healing items to kill a bullfango.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I think I prefer MH as zoned instead of open world. Open World is cool for imagination, but poo poo for actual gameplay. I do not want to chase a loving rathian/rathalos around a giant zone--I want to kill it in carefully crafted arenas designed for doing so. That is more efficiently fun whereas open world sounds cool but is poo poo-tier in practice. I mean, I guess they could add vehicles too? But that's an entirely different experience at that point.

Also, I think I prefer drops the way they are too. If you got everything always just for breaking stuff they'd probably have to rebalance all of the gear around that. Might be fine in a game where you, say, used some other item to upgrade weapon stats and the monster drops were just skins or something. Or they'd have to make breaking stuff actually hard. As it is, I like the effort that goes into making gear and I think it's a good balance unlike, say, Frontier.

If you're "but my immersion!" about not getting every part every time, remember that you aren't just randomly going out and hunting monsters. That is actually called poaching and is never done (it's stated as a problem in some quest descriptions); you are always working for a client with a request sanctioned by the guild or engaging in guild sanctioned free hunts/expeditions. Both your clients and the guild are taking parts. I can also explain the "lol I got three hearts, heads and tails from the same monster!"--they don't constitute entire heads, tails and hearts but just the bits you'd want to use from them. You are sometimes allowed to take/find more usable bits of those pieces. All in all, I think Monster Poacher would be a worse game than Monster Hunter but if it's truly the game you want get a PowerSave or whatever. Then you can give yourself all the rare drops you want after every hunt wherein you break parts.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

megalodong posted:

guys im a vet at this series *tries to shock trap a gypceros*
Uhg loving games bugged, crapcom

I actually think this was pretty clever, because Gypceros' deal is that it's made of rubber. Same goes for its extending tail. drat good thing I brought both traps for that mission.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Decus posted:

I think I prefer MH as zoned instead of open world. Open World is cool for imagination, but poo poo for actual gameplay. I do not want to chase a loving rathian/rathalos around a giant zone--I want to kill it in carefully crafted arenas designed for doing so. That is more efficiently fun whereas open world sounds cool but is poo poo-tier in practice. I mean, I guess they could add vehicles too? But that's an entirely different experience at that point.

Also, I think I prefer drops the way they are too. If you got everything always just for breaking stuff they'd probably have to rebalance all of the gear around that. Might be fine in a game where you, say, used some other item to upgrade weapon stats and the monster drops were just skins or something. Or they'd have to make breaking stuff actually hard. As it is, I like the effort that goes into making gear and I think it's a good balance unlike, say, Frontier.

If you're "but my immersion!" about not getting every part every time, remember that you aren't just randomly going out and hunting monsters. That is actually called poaching and is never done (it's stated as a problem in some quest descriptions); you are always working for a client with a request sanctioned by the guild or engaging in guild sanctioned free hunts/expeditions. Both your clients and the guild are taking parts. I can also explain the "lol I got three hearts, heads and tails from the same monster!"--they don't constitute entire heads, tails and hearts but just the bits you'd want to use from them. You are sometimes allowed to take/find more usable bits of those pieces. All in all, I think Monster Poacher would be a worse game than Monster Hunter but if it's truly the game you want get a PowerSave or whatever. Then you can give yourself all the rare drops you want after every hunt wherein you break parts.

you have put too much thought into this

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Just got murdered by Jaggi for the third time, this game seems pretty bad with the clunky controls, the unsatisfying combat, the poor story, and the lack of visual information, the customizable UI while a nice idea doesn't help much when you need to read a small novel to try and comprehend everything. I'm curious how much of people's 100+ hours of play are just trying to suss things out about what they're doing or grinding dino rear end, and how much is fun gameplay.

Jaggi is the easiest monster in the game. Learn to read its moves. Monster Hunter is not a game that rewards tunnel-vision. And maybe actually pay attention to the tutorials. They literally explain everything you would ever need to know in a few brief sentences. The most complexity you're going to see from this game is stringing together switch-axe/charge-blade combos. Study the monster and strike when you have an opening.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 18, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nice seeing so many newbies out and about!

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Seltas. If you're new to the game, I can imagine it's pretty frustrating, too. Try a bowgun or vault-attacks with the Insect Glaive if it likes to play keepaway. Its ramming attack is annoying to deal with as a groundpounder melee until you realize that it can accidentally ram itself into a wall, leaving it stuck for five or six seconds--enough to get a good combo or charge-up GS slash in.

Don't get discouraged if you're just starting out! Study a monster's behavior and learn its tells. Don't be too aggressive when you first encounter a monster, always wait until you can identify some kind of opening before committing to an attack, because when you attack it is a commitment. Else you might find the Great Jaggi hipchecking you and slapping you with its butt and that's never a fun time. Also, when you do all the 1-star Caravan quests you get a bunch of training missions for different weapon types. These are actually super useful and interesting for a new player (or one returning after a long time away) as they're all easy fights that start off with quick tutorials on each weapon's controls and features. Every weapon has quirks and a deliberateness to its design philosophy.

For newbies, Greatswords are the perfect weapons if you want to study tells and attacks since it's a very simple weapon capable of hitting very hard, but you have to actually have an opening of a couple seconds to land that big hit. So this gives you exercise and practice with playing defensively and learning to understand the individual monster you're hunting. (In the previous game, I went from flailing and failing wildly against G. Jaggis to soloing G-rank Brachydios with a GS. To anyone new, Brachy is a big, mean, agile and aggressive dino the size of a bus and hits like one, too. It was super satisfying being able to do that.) The Hammer is similar, though it's got lower range it's slightly more mobile and therefore forgiving.

If you want to play more aggressively, the Dual Swords might not feel very strong with individual hits but you're fast and can potentially carve up monsters in no time. Sword and Shield is similarly very user-friendly despite appearing weak. However its signature ability, being able to use items with your weapons out, despite being incredibly useful is innocuous enough that you don't really appreciate it until you're more experienced and your pouch is absolutely laden with support items. The Long Sword seems to have taken a dip in popularity now that the new weapons have everyone's attention but it's a hard-hitting, fast-moving weapon that also suits aggressive playstyles. Also it's a katana, if that's your sort of thing.

Monsters that can be a pain for melee might be surprisingly simple to deal with as a ranged weapon user and vice versa, so don't be shy about giving shooting a shot too.

Most importantly, try out every weapon. Your first pick might not actually be the weapon you have the most fun with, and that's the most important thing when it comes to enjoying Monster Hunter. You don't necessarily need to commit to any one, and as mentioned above the Training Missions are perfect for anyone starting out.

DoctorX posted:

You can see here which quests are mandatory in order to move the story forward. You don't actually have to do every quest to get to the good ones.

When he mentioned "pillbugs" he was talking about hunting Konchus, which actually was an early Key Quest (Chip off the Old Blockade).

That was possibly the first time I made serious use of the "kick" button in the touchscreen.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
My first was the original Tri on Wii and I just remember Gigginox making GBS threads poison all over me and generally ruining my day

Khezu dont seem to be poo poo in comparison

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Awesome! posted:

you have put too much thought into this

I think it's around the level of thought the devs have put in, really. It's all in the quest descriptions/flavour text.

My one major complaint is no item trading above rarity 3--which can also be powersaved--but I also understand that as something that could turn the community more toxic and make the game less fun too. Nobody wants to deal with loot begging. Tying the ability to receive certain drops to the number of times you've killed a monster would be a decent-ish compromise, I think, but can understand just not bothering with it at all.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Man I'm glad I didn't go to far into high rank, the low rank advances quests out of no where have been a loving blast. This is my first exposure to tigrex and god he is the most belligerent monster ever

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Decus posted:

If you're "but my immersion!" about not getting every part every time, remember that you aren't just randomly going out and hunting monsters. That is actually called poaching and is never done

Both your clients and the guild are taking parts.

This thought occurred to me. I tend to think of it that by breaking off pieces in the field, your guy is pocketing what falls off and when the guild comes and goes "yo, we got horny old men in Moga lookin for that Diablos horn, where is it" you basically just go :shrug:

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

i don't mind (and in fact like) the grindy stuff in these games, because i'm not paying a monthly sub fee for something that's only like that to make me pay more money.

Also for people having issues with the bug, use flash bombs on him, he's really weak to them and they make him stay still for ages and fall out of the air. If you download the 1.1 patch off the eshop you can get a gift pack that's got like 30 flash bombs in it among other nice things.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

When he mentioned "pillbugs" he was talking about hunting Konchus, which actually was an early Key Quest (Chip off the Old Blockade).

That was possibly the first time I made serious use of the "kick" button in the touchscreen.

I remembered that was a Key Quest after I posted. Anyway, doing only Key Quests in early game can save you a lot of time if you just want to hunt large monsters as soon as possible.

There's something that's been bugging me. 3U was my first Monster Hunter game. When I hunted my first Great Jaggi, it felt like a challenge. Same goes for Qurupeco. It's not that I thought they were difficult, but they felt like "real" monsters compared to the small ones. Now I'm doing the offline quests in 4U and I've reached Congalala, and every single monster up until now has been very easy and quick. I was a bit disappointed when I killed Great Jaggi and Seltas in like 5 minutes. So I'd like to ask you guys if you think the first monsters in 4U are easier than the ones in 3U or if it's just that I'm a lot better at the game than when I played 3U. Is Great Jaggi really the same in both games?

I'm using a charge blade, if that makes any difference.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'd day it's about equal. Jaggi and Quru are supposed to be easy. And then out of nowhere it's Mr. Barroth. In 4 Najarla was my first true roadblock, I didn't expect something so big to move so fast. Rathian got a few new tricks too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DoctorX posted:

I remembered that was a Key Quest after I posted. Anyway, doing only Key Quests in early game can save you a lot of time if you just want to hunt large monsters as soon as possible.

There's something that's been bugging me. 3U was my first Monster Hunter game. When I hunted my first Great Jaggi, it felt like a challenge. Same goes for Qurupeco. It's not that I thought they were difficult, but they felt like "real" monsters compared to the small ones. Now I'm doing the offline quests in 4U and I've reached Congalala, and every single monster up until now has been very easy and quick. I was a bit disappointed when I killed Great Jaggi and Seltas in like 5 minutes. So I'd like to ask you guys if you think the first monsters in 4U are easier than the ones in 3U or if it's just that I'm a lot better at the game than when I played 3U. Is Great Jaggi really the same in both games?

It might be a skill thing, I can't remember how much or if I'd upgraded my weapons at all, but either way those two dropped incredibly fast and I was really surprised when they did. Kecha and Tetsu didn't take that much longer either.

That said, I have absolutely no problem with that. The fights themselves are still fun and toughish when you're still learning moves/weapons, they're just shorter. I really like being able to chain farm the early stuff for parts without them taking as long as they did. The real challenge starts in High and G rank, I don't really want to have to slog through easy monsters with too-big HP pools to get the parts on my way there. (I wouldn't mind if they dropped HP totals across the board honestly. I hated soloing G Rank Deviljhos and Duramboros and their oceans of HP in 3U.)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
It's really fun reading what I screamed about playing Freedom Unite but somehow powered through and still played and found enjoyment playing for a very long time.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Has anyone got some tips for being more mobile with a gunlance? I'm used to pointing the circle pad in a direction and rolling to dodge monster and get in a better position, but the dodging seems different for both lance weapons.

I know when I dodge right after an attack I can do a sidestep/backstop in the direction I want, but what about directional dodging without attacking? I can do the regular/long backstretch is fine, but I find myself trying to get dodge to a monster's side more than further away from it.

When I try a side dodge with a finance (without attacking), I'll hit left+B for example and turn that way and backstop to the right instead. Is that just something I'll have to get used to with this weapon? I love the weapon animations and attacks, I just keep jumping into the wrong places and getting my face beaten in instead of dodging attacks half the time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DoctorX posted:

That's what being an experienced hunter feels like. G. Jaggis really aren't a challenge unless you're new, but when you are new you keep getting booty-bumped by this stupid raptor and he's so annoying and there's all these other smaller raptors knocking you around and it's just a pain in the rear end. Once you get a feel for them they're not hard at all and really are just "those tutorial dinos."

Now combine that with the Charge Blade being capable of ludicrous amounts of burst damage and that's why G. Jaggis don't last more than a minute or so when you fight them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turtlicious posted:

NAh, I was pretty confident I was going to like it! I played a ton of Dynasty Warriors and Dark Souls and this seemed to be that but fighting dinosaurs.

It is, pretty much.

Turtlicious posted:

I mean yeah maybe I need to get good, but does no-one see any flaws in the UI, when you have all these weapons, or trying to figure out when a hit is supposed to mount or not with the IG? Or when you get a quest to kill 8 Konchu so you run around and kill random things, except you have no idea what a Konchu looks like so you're just screwed? Yes, I'm bad at this game and maybe I'm not giving a fair shot, but that doesn't mean it's the perfect game for every gamer ever to play.

Google Konchu? :shrug: Seriously that's what I did and it worked like a charm.

You don't have to mount anybody to kill them, its a new feature. Yeah its kinda ambiguous but again, not mandatory.

Stop doing boring quests and go kill some Jaggis and Tetsucabras online in co-op and you'll realize how fun this game is.

You can do co-op right now, you don't need to get to the 3rd village first. Go do co-op and kill big bosses and have fun. Then you can grind solo later once you're having fun and feel the effort is worth the reward.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

DoctorX posted:

You're just better. Back in Freedom Unite when I was still getting a grip on how things work it would take me ages to kill anything the first time. Four games later I can saunter up to a monster I've never fought and slap it around till it drops parts for me.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It might be a skill thing, I can't remember how much or if I'd upgraded my weapons at all, but either way those two dropped incredibly fast and I was really surprised when they did. Kecha and Tetsu didn't take that much longer either.

That said, I have absolutely no problem with that. The fights themselves are still fun and toughish when you're still learning moves/weapons, they're just shorter. I really like being able to chain farm the early stuff for parts without them taking as long as they did. The real challenge starts in High and G rank, I don't really want to have to slog through easy monsters with too-big HP pools to get the parts on my way there. (I wouldn't mind if they dropped HP totals across the board honestly. I hated soloing G Rank Deviljhos and Duramboros and their oceans of HP in 3U.)

I had upgraded my weapon, so maybe that's it. I don't have a problem with that either, I was just surprised. I'm looking forward to high and G rank, though, especially since I couldn't play online in 3U.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That's what being an experienced hunter feels like. G. Jaggis really aren't a challenge unless you're new, but when you are new you keep getting booty-bumped by this stupid raptor and he's so annoying and there's all these other smaller raptors knocking you around and it's just a pain in the rear end. Once you get a feel for them they're not hard at all and really are just "those tutorial dinos."

Now combine that with the Charge Blade being capable of ludicrous amounts of burst damage and that's why G. Jaggis don't last more than a minute or so when you fight them.

The Charge Blade really is great. I was planning on using Dual Swords Blades on 4U as they were my favorite weapon in 3U, but I wanted to try CB out and I just haven't stopped using it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This is my first exposure to tigrex and god he is the most belligerent monster ever

I love Tigrex. He holds a special place in my heart for being the motherfucker that taught me that this game goes beyond simple "dodge monster attack, then get a hit in" and straight into "gently caress dodging, figure out how to hit the monster while it is attacking " back when I was a newbie in Freedom Unite. I spent easily 10+ hours trying to kill the bastard for the first time, but by the end of it I was a way better hunter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ilifinicus posted:

And even then, by the arguably worst game in the entire series which should just have been part of Ocarina of Time and not its own game

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Toast King posted:

Has anyone got some tips for being more mobile with a gunlance? I'm used to pointing the circle pad in a direction and rolling to dodge monster and get in a better position, but the dodging seems different for both lance weapons.

I know when I dodge right after an attack I can do a sidestep/backstop in the direction I want, but what about directional dodging without attacking? I can do the regular/long backstretch is fine, but I find myself trying to get dodge to a monster's side more than further away from it.

When I try a side dodge with a finance (without attacking), I'll hit left+B for example and turn that way and backstop to the right instead. Is that just something I'll have to get used to with this weapon? I love the weapon animations and attacks, I just keep jumping into the wrong places and getting my face beaten in instead of dodging attacks half the time.

Don't try to dodge with a lance/gunlance. The sidestep/backstep can be used for dodging with its invincibility frames, but that takes a lot of practice to get used to. Your best defense is that giant shield. You don't need to dodge because that thing will stop almost anything. The R button is your best friend.

Try using the auto-guard charm when you're trying to get used to the lance. Your goal should be to get good enough with the lance to the point that you won't need it any more, but it's a really good tool for teaching yourself how the lance works because it can teach you what can and can't be blocked, and what sort of timing you'll need to block when you're doing it for real. Eventually you'll get to the point where blocking becomes reflexive and you can dump that charm for something much better.

ed: I should add that you shouldn't rely on the auto-guard charm while lancing--keep holding R to block attacks even when you have it equipped. It'll kick in for those windows where you could have blocked but forgot to, and that's where it comes in handy in teaching you the timing.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 18, 2015

• Locked thread