Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Decreasing weapon switch speed would be a buff to melee, not secondary. There are plenty of melee weapons that outperform good primary weapons. This is my problem with secondaries. They are the 3rd, sometimes 4th option. In my nyx, mag, and valkyr, I'd fall back on powers before secondaries. And by the time I run out of energy, I have primary ammo. Or I'd have thinned the waves enough to blend them with Zoren/Jat Kittag.

Secondaries lack punch, ammo efficiency, and take forever to pull out. I think the time problem is the most offensive purely because we're space ninjas. We can run on walls and fly through the air but switching weapons takes how long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Nasgate posted:

There are plenty of melee weapons that outperform good primary weapons.

[citation needed]

Seriously, even a Dakra Prime in stealth is going to be pretty awful dps compared to any top tier primary or secondary, and that's assuming you're starting at melee range and never miss with any of Crimson Dervish's wild over-dramatic swings.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's the melee weapon with the longest reach? My Prime Reach needs a new home. :unsmigghh:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Galatine, off the top of my head. Broken Bull combo, spin forever, make Guts proud :unsmigghh:

Edit: I should buy a Primed Reach off someone. Million credit trade tag be damned, I can always run a million billion towers to get it back.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 18, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Excellent, I was working on a Galatine already.

I have 0 cores left after bringing my Primed Reach to level 8 though. :smith:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Melee 3.0 is archwing melee, and it works tremendously well in space where all our guns are now total rear end to begin with. Dual Decurions, Corvas, Velocitus.... yeah anything but Imperator variants tends to be impractical compared to Centaur and spamming melee. If Archwing got some form of target locking or something that'd make things interesting maybe.

Also, I would consider using Orthos Prime instead of Galatine mostly because the arc on Orthos Prime and its maneuverability makes it better for clearing through crowds possibly.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Coldbird posted:

[citation needed]

Seriously, even a Dakra Prime in stealth is going to be pretty awful dps compared to any top tier primary or secondary, and that's assuming you're starting at melee range and never miss with any of Crimson Dervish's wild over-dramatic swings.

Everything late game is poo poo dps, primary and secondaries just poo poo out more ticks.

But for 90% of the other content my Jat and Dual Zoren keep up with my Soma prime. Of course that's without formas and only the Soma has a potato because I keep getting gorgons for login and single gold fusion cores in towers.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

To me, it just seems like secondary are just another flavor of weapon you can use. Mogamu put out a video griping about the lack of viability melee is at end-game, especially against hit-scan weapons, so that may need to be looked at too. DE does have a lot of edges that need to be rounded off for sure, and if I had to choose, I'd make the maneuverability easier to do, I still find it very finicky. It's just dumb that you're going into the running up the wall animation on waist-high ledges, completely lose your momentum if you vault over something because of the canned animations and poo poo like that. They need to streamline that so just holding down the sprint button down performs the movement stuff and keeps your momentum going. Titanfall does this really well and feels really good without you thinking too much about it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Hey tallgeese, our suspicion was right, apparently the system did indeed start just randomly trade banning people, even if they weren't loving playing. :de:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I just wanted to update the my list of non-prime weapons that are good investments and relatively easy to obtain, adding Phage and Twin Gremlins to the list. These weapons for the most part are also "easy to use" and don't have significant drawbacks.

Primaries:

Kohm (market bp) - possibly the best primary weapon in the game (mod it for ammo efficiency)
Quanta (clan tech bp)
Synapse (clan tech bp)
Amprex (clan tech bp) - can absolutely destroy groups of mobs if modded right, but it chews through ammo and there are better options for long missions
Phage (clantech bp)

Secondary:

Tysis (clan tech bp)
Nukor (clan tech bp)
Bolto (market pb) - nothing special or super high-end about this, but it's a solid secondary if you build it for pure damage and can be modded with a Bolto specific mod from the Sephalon Suda syndicate for explosion hijinx
Telos Akbolto (trade/buy for around 40-50 plat) - my favorite secondary
Synoid Gammacor (trade/buy for around 40-50 plat) - probably the best secondary
Vaykor Marelok (trade/buy for around 40-50 plat)
Twin Gremlins (bp dropped from Phobos boss)

Melee:

Tipedo (market bp) - possibly the best melee weapon in the game
Dual Zoren (market bp)
Atterax (market bp)
Dual Ichors (clan tech)
Galatine (market bp) - huge range, hits like a truck, spin to win
Jat Kittag (clan tech) - great crowd control with jump slam, arguably coolest melee weapon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYfWYrcySZE (note that the video is before the heavy weapons were buffed)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Jimbot posted:

To me, it just seems like secondary are just another flavor of weapon you can use. Mogamu put out a video griping about the lack of viability melee is at end-game, especially against hit-scan weapons, so that may need to be looked at too. DE does have a lot of edges that need to be rounded off for sure, and if I had to choose, I'd make the maneuverability easier to do, I still find it very finicky. It's just dumb that you're going into the running up the wall animation on waist-high ledges, completely lose your momentum if you vault over something because of the canned animations and poo poo like that. They need to streamline that so just holding down the sprint button down performs the movement stuff and keeps your momentum going. Titanfall does this really well and feels really good without you thinking too much about it.

There's an option to turn that off, you know.

Why are we talking about weapon switch speed and poo poo when we can be firing more guns that are cool and feel good to shoot? I don't understand the obsession with you goons getting eleventy bajillion DPS fucks out of whatever weapon. Even I only forma'd the opticor, like, once. And that was because spy missions made it easy to 30 again.

Most weapons that "need two or three forma" perform perfectly fine with just a potato or whatever, and will murder 99% of whatever you loving see.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

DelphiAegis posted:

Why are we talking about weapon switch speed and poo poo when we can be firing more guns that are cool and feel good to shoot?

swapping weapons is a pain in the rear end because it takes forever and that means you only ever really use one gun at a time, a short swap time means you could make badass gun combos and be awesome.

edit: it could make weapon-specific mobs viable while not meaningfully slowing down gameplay and like it was said earlier, melee would be buffed too. you could smoothly cut dudes then shoot dudes then cut dudes and it'd be awesome.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 18, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jimbot posted:

I'd make the maneuverability easier to do, I still find it very finicky. It's just dumb that you're going into the running up the wall animation on waist-high ledges, completely lose your momentum if you vault over something because of the canned animations and poo poo like that. They need to streamline that so just holding down the sprint button down performs the movement stuff and keeps your momentum going. Titanfall does this really well and feels really good without you thinking too much about it.

My gripe with the maneuverability is that I keep accidentally doing the air melee + ground slam instead of 'coptering, and I have no idea why. Also, when I was leveling up my Redeemer, my character would seemingly randomly stop sprinting. Really annoying.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

hooah posted:

My gripe with the maneuverability is that I keep accidentally doing the air melee + ground slam instead of 'coptering, and I have no idea why. Also, when I was leveling up my Redeemer, my character would seemingly randomly stop sprinting. Really annoying.

Depends on where you aim, if you aim downwards you slam, if you aim forward/up you copter.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

hooah posted:

Point your camera up. Like, >45 degrees up. From practicing Tipedoing the last few days, it seems like if you're either already in the descent of your jump, or pointing at the ground At All, even ground nowhere near you, it thinks "come on and slam" instead of welcoming you to the jam like you want. Now take flight.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Coldbird posted:

His specific suggestion was to quadruple reload times but add passive reload and cut switch speed.

Never said to cut switch speed, that would be horrible The only difference there should be is to make the weapon-switch mod slightly more useful. So a switch speed of 1 second that could be cut in half by the mod perhaps.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 18, 2015

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I'm against having a weapon switch mod at all since that is literally the reason we currently don't have a reasonable weapon switch speed.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

So it's safe to assume that this Seer pistol I built is a terrible piece of poo poo I should sell the second I get it to 30, right? Because god drat.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

So it's safe to assume that this Seer pistol I built is a terrible piece of poo poo I should sell the second I get it to 30, right? Because god drat.

I'm currently building an Akjagara and it's probably a better use of Orokin cells

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I'm finding the Seer to be a pretty hard hitting, ammo efficient secondary myself. Sure, it ain't no Brakk, but then what is.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Denzine posted:

Nervos were mobs?
Technically, yes, in the same sense latchers are now. I guess I could have said "Seekers prior to having their nervos taken away", but while I enjoy pointless pedantry as much as the next guy, I felt the point was made without it.

E: Man, this thread goes off on some real dumb tangents sometimes.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
The only answer to maneuverability is to immediately break your physics using the jump/pound/channel glitch and then just fly all over the goddamn place like an airplane.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I still want them to take coptering to the next level with a dark souls wheel skelly like melee weapon :v:

Static_Fiend
Jun 4, 2003

Who amongst us will have reached the end?
To the person who was requesting a Fang prime handle, I had one to give you but you logged out too quickly.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I too need a Fang Prime handle. drat Syndicates :saddowns:

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Helter Skelter posted:

Technically, yes, in the same sense latchers are now. I guess I could have said "Seekers prior to having their nervos taken away", but while I enjoy pointless pedantry as much as the next guy, I felt the point was made without it.

E: Man, this thread goes off on some real dumb tangents sometimes.
Fair enough though, let me amend.

Nullifiers are the worst thing they've ever added.

:colbert:

:v:

Nervos and Nullifiers are bad for the same basic reasons: They stop gameplay until they're dealt with. Also, you deal with nullifiers and nervos the exact same way as every other mob, so they're not even interesting. They're just a billion times more irritating.

Well unless you're using a launcher or other high damage, low ROF gun. Then you get hosed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What the gently caress's a nervo?

quote:

Nervos were small devices deployed by Seekers that latch onto players and stun them, dealing strong damage to shields. While attached, the affected player would hunch over in pain and become incapable of performing any action; only teammates could destroy the Nervo by attacking the victim. When any teammate had been struck by a Nervo, an overhead message would appear dictating the victim's name and something to the effect of "Go help him/her"; affected players would also appear as red, flashing crosses on the minimap, similar to incapacitated players.

JESUS CHRIST

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SynthOrange posted:

What the gently caress's a nervo?

JESUS CHRIST

:psypop:

I.... I'll just be happy that we only have nullifiers now.......

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So what happens if you're soloing and you get hit by one of those things, do you just die?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
They were not stunning you in solo play, or something like that. They were only getting dangerous when you were playing the co-op game in co-op... I remember that it was around that time I started playing mostly solo.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

Why are we talking about weapon switch speed and poo poo when we can be firing more guns that are cool and feel good to shoot? I don't understand the obsession with you goons getting eleventy bajillion DPS fucks out of whatever weapon. Even I only forma'd the opticor, like, once. And that was because spy missions made it easy to 30 again.

Most weapons that "need two or three forma" perform perfectly fine with just a potato or whatever, and will murder 99% of whatever you loving see.

Exactly! Not to mention the lack of challenge when you're just one shotting everything. Maybe that's why stuff starts feeling grindy?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

vOv posted:

So what happens if you're soloing and you get hit by one of those things, do you just die?
Pretty much, yeah. They quickly patched it so they didn't show up if you were running solo (you just got latchers instead), but that didn't really make them any less awful. Also the minimap liked to bug out a bunch back then and was not at all helpful in telling you where the teammate being tazed was located unless you were already in the same room, and the nervos themselves were a massive pain in the rear end to actually hit.

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

Have some datamined stuff from the ps4 version including stuff about the new focus system and what is probably the next trader cycle

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dQ9T9Ch6rgHSXRX2BgJjoa5DqGJ3K3ZQjIRnd-s4MPs/pubhtml

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

I'm in the market to buy a blind rage mod for plat, add me on steam (in profile) if you have one to sell, or just find me ingame as nwff. Not looking for a deal, I know this mod is pretty rare - can trade a cheap steam game or something if desired. :homebrew:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Terbulus posted:

Have some datamined stuff from the ps4 version including stuff about the new focus system and what is probably the next trader cycle

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dQ9T9Ch6rgHSXRX2BgJjoa5DqGJ3K3ZQjIRnd-s4MPs/pubhtml

"Elemental_AlliesOnFireDesc:" :allears:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I have a few extra Blind Rage mods but am busy with work and can't login for a while. Clan banks would be handy for situations like this but this is where we start to hear about hit and run bank robberies of clans.... oh god the drama would be so delicious.

Errazial
Aug 27, 2008

Terbulus posted:

code:
Grineer Twin Burst Pistols

Tigris Twin
poo poo, I just sold the Tigris and the Kraken a week ago.

Also, the Quanta Vandal not being in the Void Trader section suggests it's going to be a reward for some event, right?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Terbulus posted:

Primed Streamline :getin:

Edit: Also passive reload mods. Not that they serve a purpose the way things are but that one guy will be happy.
Again: No idea why but the profanity filter tab is hilarious to me.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 18, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Do we have any idea what's gonna be on the void trader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Errazial posted:

Also, the Quanta Vandal not being in the Void Trader section suggests it's going to be a reward for some event, right?
Vandal and Wraith items have historically been event rewards, so that assumption would seem reasonable.

Nalesh posted:

Do we have any idea what's gonna be on the void trader?
Updates are usually on Wednesdays, so we might have some idea later today.