Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

dogsicle posted:

So is this movie as good as it looks? Because drat. :eyepop:

It is kind of sort of immensely stupid, and not in a good way. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

dogsicle posted:

Watch the Abridged version of it.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Sadly, no. It's still great to see Takahiro Kagami animating something Yu-Gi-Oh! related again since Overlap.

The best thing to come out of the movie was Yami Yugis amazing reaction to Yusei synchro summoning a monster in the dub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l7hE9nQVRM

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

I mentioned it a few pages back, but one of the composers for the 5Ds dub uploaded some tracks to his site, and some of them are actually really good. They just tend to be drowned out on the show.

On a different note, the 5Ds dub is probably the only time I ever said to mayself, "wow, you know who's a really good actor in this? Jason Griffith!". Well, that and the Zetman dub he was in.

You didn't link it though!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Newest Arc V is out and the new kid is already incredibly suspicious his performapal-esque monster and similarity to Yusho can't be a coincidence so it looks like they might finally be progressing that plot line as well. Arc V's got so much stuff going on right now that I hope they manage to handle all these plot points well, they've still got Yuri and Yugo waiting in the wings to turn up at any moment as well. Also, Dennis's deck better be localised as Performagicians, it fits too well.

I also liked how they did the other tag duel where Gon was taken out by Halil and Yuzu almost defeated by Olga since it means that they still could have theoretically defeated their original opponents before it become a tag match. And the next episode is going to be great because Sora is back and so are his crazy faces. :allears:

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
The preview seems to show Dennis acting really sinister towards Yuzu, so yeah, don't trust him at all. He's giving me Rei flashbacks. Seems like the next episode is going to be packed with development, with that, plus confronting Shun, plus more Sora. Hopefully Sora doesn't just get chumped by Shun again.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Wheeeeere is this

No idea. He released them around when the dub was airing. He could have taken them down by now for some reason.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Newest Arc V is out and the new kid is already incredibly suspicious his performapal-esque monster and similarity to Yusho can't be a coincidence so it looks like they might finally be progressing that plot line as well. Arc V's got so much stuff going on right now that I hope they manage to handle all these plot points well, they've still got Yuri and Yugo waiting in the wings to turn up at any moment as well. Also, Dennis's deck better be localised as Performagicians, it fits too well.

I also liked how they did the other tag duel where Gon was taken out by Halil and Yuzu almost defeated by Olga since it means that they still could have theoretically defeated their original opponents before it become a tag match. And the next episode is going to be great because Sora is back and so are his crazy faces. :allears:

The Entermages/Performagicians though seem to be the most anti-burn archetype ever, and I really like that. Maybe thats what the Enterma*/Performa* archetypes will be all about, control.

This ep was quite good I'd say. Plenty good pacing, Gongenzaka being too Gon for his own good, Yuzu turning it around in a great way with a real blast from the past, de-fusion, Last time I saw it was GX.
Dennis is shady-as-gently caress, I'm happy that the Ryozanpaku Paradox Brothers are gone now, Yuya got over his dark dragon bloodthirst quite quickly which is a good thing, and YES GIVE ME MORE CRAZY EYES. CRAZY REVENGE EYES vs CRAZY INSANE EYES.

Also the animation and art quality is just getting better each episode! Which makes me real happy about it.
Is the series doing really well in Japan? Or is the card game getting a resurgence in popularity?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I love the implication that Duel Academy is such a sausage fest that they can only make 11 student boy-girl pairs :mmmhmm:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I really liked the music in the new episode of Arc-V. :)

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Entermages/Performagicians though seem to be the most anti-burn archetype ever, and I really like that. Maybe thats what the Enterma*/Performa* archetypes will be all about, control.

Maybe, but Yuya probably won't run a control deck. The whole "hot-blooded shounen hero" thing doesn't mesh well with a deck like that. .

Personally, I've had a good deal of luck running a Performapal beatdown deck with Cheermole at the center. It seems to piss a lot of people off to be beaten by cutesy-looking monsters.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kay Kessler posted:

Maybe, but Yuya probably won't run a control deck. The whole "hot-blooded shounen hero" thing doesn't mesh well with a deck like that. .

Personally, I've had a good deal of luck running a Performapal beatdown deck with Cheermole at the center. It seems to piss a lot of people off to be beaten by cutesy-looking monsters.

I wonder if we will get so much support of the archetypes, like the *HEROs.
gently caress me there's a shitload of HERO cards.

Yeah thinking about it Performapal is more beatdown with some ancillary support/summon effects.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 18, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

This ep was quite good I'd say. Plenty good pacing, Gongenzaka being too Gon for his own good, Yuzu turning it around in a great way with a real blast from the past, de-fusion, Last time I saw it was GX.
Dennis is shady-as-gently caress, I'm happy that the Ryozanpaku Paradox Brothers are gone now, Yuya got over his dark dragon bloodthirst quite quickly which is a good thing, and YES GIVE ME MORE CRAZY EYES. CRAZY REVENGE EYES vs CRAZY INSANE EYES.

The cheesiest win in old-school YuGiOh. They pulled that off something like 3 or 4 major duels in the last two season of Duel Monsters. I'm really not seeing how Sora gets anywhere fighting Shun again. It has pretty much been cemented that he's the super skilled rival that isn't going to lose until the main character beats him in a life-changing duel. :black101:

Also, with the new OP and ED, I have a sneaking suspicion that Yuto isn't actually gone, he just got slammed back to his dimension. Don't know how he'll survive without Dark Rebellion, though. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I wonder if we will get so much support of the archetypes, like the *HEROs.
gently caress me there's a shitload of HERO cards.

And yet we still haven't gotten any modern support for Vision HEROs or Evil HEROs or Destiny HEROs. :(

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Dexie posted:

And yet we still haven't gotten any modern support for Vision HEROs or Evil HEROs or Destiny HEROs. :(

The evil Masked Hero equivalent should be people in rubber monster suits, I will accept nothing else.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

The cheesiest win in old-school YuGiOh. They pulled that off something like 3 or 4 major duels in the last two season of Duel Monsters. I'm really not seeing how Sora gets anywhere fighting Shun again. It has pretty much been cemented that he's the super skilled rival that isn't going to lose until the main character beats him in a life-changing duel. :black101:

Also, with the new OP and ED, I have a sneaking suspicion that Yuto isn't actually gone, he just got slammed back to his dimension. Don't know how he'll survive without Dark Rebellion, though. :v:

Yuto is apparently just hanging out inside Yuya for now. If his vision before he got possessed is any evidence

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AlternateNu posted:

I'm really not seeing how Sora gets anywhere fighting Shun again. It has pretty much been cemented that he's the super skilled rival that isn't going to lose until the main character beats him in a life-changing duel. :black101:

Come on it's a forgone conclusion by now.
He's going to Duel Shun, because he's Sora and there's nothing he wants more. But he'll either lose again or get interrupted by Serena or Yuri.

Or something a bit more exciting, Shun will barely fight off the Obelisk Force and Sora comes in to deal the final blow and they'll get interrupted then.

quote:

What new OP/ED? They've been the same since before Yuto disappeared.
Well there's an OP 2 ver.2 that shows a cutaway with Yuzu and Serena and more clearly shows Yuri's face.
No other changes from that.

[e]:Motherfucker why do they have spoilers in the wiki. I went looking for when the OP first came and I accidentally came across spoilers for 45.
Well they're more like episode synopses but still.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 18, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

What new OP/ED? They've been the same since before Yuto disappeared.
Well there's an OP 2 ver.2 that shows a cutaway with Yuzu and Serena and more clearly shows Yuri's face.

Yeah, the OP changes a few times, and not all at once. There's also the scene from the Yuya vs. Sawatari duel getting replaced by a shot of Yuya and Yuto with their dragons.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

[e]:Motherfucker why do they have spoilers in the wiki. I went looking for when the OP first came and I accidentally came across spoilers for 45.

Because the Yu-Gi-Oh! wiki is lovely. :v: I know the guy who created it...he doesn't give two shits about the anime and, as such, it's not the best place to go for stuff about it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Don't look at the pages for the episodes that haven't been aired yet, then?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

dogsicle posted:

It's a gorgeous movie, the bit at around 2:32 in that video where you see Atem's face much more detailed is from a few keyframes Takahashi himself drew. The plot and the duel are ehhhh, it's a really 5D's centric story with the plot basically ending in "Watch 5D's for a year straight to the thrilling conclusion!" which ended up being garbage with just a mention of "oh and the movie's villain was there too, idk why he went off to do his own thing, tho"
The abridged is pretty fun, tho.

Speaking of gorgeous looking thing, in three months the Duel Art artbook comes out. Kazuki's art is pretty gorgeous nowadays

On Arc-V, gonna echo that the duels were pretty fun, fluid and fast, pretty exciting stuff, though I thought Gongenzaka was eliminated from the tournament and that made everything way more tense until I realized that was not the case at all. Dennis feels a bit like Rei and Aster, y'know? with his similar monsters to Yuya's.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

Funny you should mention Jack, because he is in fact, the best example of this.

He is actually not good at all in English, the accent is not even funny bad and it's just a worse version of Ted Lewis' Bakura voice.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why the gently caress is Yuma actively ignoring advice? How is this making him a fun character in any way? The fact that the loving alien spirit creature actively finding a way around the idiocy of the main character so he doesn't die is an insane conflict point.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I only watched a couple of Zexal episodes, because I like Chronomaly monsters and I wanted to see them in action, and holy sanctified poo poo is Yuma's dub voice terrible. He sounds like a six years old that inhaled helium.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
List of Good Characters
The Alien
Yuma's Sister
I guess Shark, I dunno his voice was funny

List of people I hate
Literally everyone else

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The fact that Dennis uses (presumably) the same monster archetype that Yusho uses seems to suggest that Dennis is going to be have at least some measure of plot importance; and characters with some plot importance usually use the cards that are going to be added to the main game.

With that in mind, Entermages don't seem to be that solid of an archetype. Protection against burn damage is all well and good against a burn deck, but it's not likely to come up enough to build your whole deck around it. Maybe they'll be a generic defensive archetype? With direct attack protection and whatnot?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 18, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

The fact that Dennis uses (presumably) the same monster archetype that Yusho uses seems to suggest that Dennis is going to be have at least some measure of plot importance; and characters with some plot importance usually use the cards that are going to be added to the main game.

With that in mind, Entermages don't seem to be that solid of an archetype. Protection against burn damage is all well and good against a burn deck, but it's not likely to come up enough to build your whole deck around it. Maybe they'll be a generic defensive archetype? With direct attack protection and whatnot?

The XYZ magician is already slated for release in the next set but there's been nothing about anything more as far as I know.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paradoxGentleman posted:

Nulling all burn damage is amazing.
You can use all the self-burn effects and just not give a poo poo.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Nulling all burn damage is amazing.
You can use all the self-burn effects and just not give a poo poo.

Apart from the Covenants, what else causes self burn and would benefit from these guys?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

List of Good Characters
The Alien
Yuma's Sister

List of people I hate
Literally everyone else

Yuma's sister is pretty awesome.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

List of Good Characters
The Alien
Yuma's Sister

List of people I hate
Literally everyone else

This is pretty much Zexal.txt. Txtal.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

List of Good Characters
The Alien
Yuma's Sister

List of people I hate
Literally everyone else

You know, watching the dub, I don't really mind Flip/Tokunosuke. That may just be because I had to suffer through his Japanese voice, which is the worst thing ever. Giving him a campy voice and having him act like a door-to-door salesman is definitely an improvement.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
I'm watching arc v since everyone in the thread recommended it, and it is surprisingly cool. That said, it's hilarious seeing people flip out when someone knows how to do basic rear end poo poo like fusion or xyz summoning. I was about to burst out laughing when Sora said everyone does fusions where he's from and Yuya is so baffled, like is this kid from another country :confused:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I like that they gave dub Mr. Heartland a very appropriate voice for how...flamboyant he is.

Why are the best Gundam villains campy? Okay Heartland isn't the best but Pegasus is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rent-a-Bot posted:

I'm watching arc v since everyone in the thread recommended it, and it is surprisingly cool. That said, it's hilarious seeing people flip out when someone knows how to do basic rear end poo poo like fusion or xyz summoning. I was about to burst out laughing when Sora said everyone does fusions where he's from and Yuya is so baffled, like is this kid from another country :confused:

I honestly like this. It's sort of silly, but it treats dueling more like a discipline and allows for cooler stuff like character development.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's really funny though, like it makes characters like Hokuto even better because he's like "LOL I'M SO MUCH BETTER BECAUSE I'VE MASTERED XYZ SUMMONING HAHAHAHHA!" and it's literally just "Two monsters of the same level stuck together."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Beef Waifu posted:

I honestly like this. It's sort of silly, but it treats dueling more like a discipline and allows for cooler stuff like character development.

It is really implied that performing certain combos is an extension of the person's force of will. So, to be able to perform special summons means you have the will to control that powerful a monster, and to perform multiple types is the equivalent of someone being skilled in multiple disciplines. Ever met that person who is just great at everything? That's pretty much how Reiji is being portrayed, which is why it is treated like such an oddity when he is able to control Pendulum summoning out of no where only for his pendulum cards to destabilize and pretty much lose him the duel.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Beef Waifu posted:

It's really funny though, like it makes characters like Hokuto even better because he's like "LOL I'M SO MUCH BETTER BECAUSE I'VE MASTERED XYZ SUMMONING HAHAHAHHA!" and it's literally just "Two monsters of the same level stuck together."

I'll be honest from trying to teach people who've never played how to play, they cannot grasp this poo poo, usual functioning adults go completely "HELP" from the concept of fusion, Xyz and Synchro. And ritual

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Though 5Deez ep41, lolling the entire time at Akiza's monologues and backstory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
One of my favorite things about 5D's was getting to hear Blaze the Cat talk about her weird psychic BDSM fetish