Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
gently caress all drivers, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Nitramster posted:

gently caress all drivers, really.

Seconded.

The commute today wasn't bad at all. My rain gear worked well, no one tried to run me over and I didn't even see any accidents. I did limit my lane splitting speed to 25mph so it took me about 10 minutes extra but better than sitting in a car for an hour and a half.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A pinlock visor sure would have been nice this morning.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I agree.

I also found out that the toes of my boots leak when it's pouring. Luckily I foresaw this happening and packed extra socks :) Will have to wrap some trash bags around them on the way home tonight.

People at work think I'm crazy for riding in. They sound just like the guys at my old job in NC when I used to ride my F4i to work when there was only powder on the ground.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I got caught in West LA as the storm was rolling in last night. Luckily I planned ahead that morning and packed the rain jacket that I used to wear like 50% of the time on the east coast. Unfortunately the matching pants didn't make the trip west :(.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Been pointing the fan on my desk at my gear for the last 3 hours. Almost dry enough to wear again.

Walking into the office with full gear dripping water always makes my boss crack up.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I'm waiting on a new clutch master for the 690SM, which is an excellent excuse to park the bike away and smash my beater Cherokee through every puddle I can find.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Avoided micro tragedy today. A buddy from Ireland rented a Harley, so we decided to hit up the canyons. Was a great time but we made it all the way up to Decker road, where it was still pretty washed out. Just as we got going I hit some dirt on the road and about lost my front end. I grabbed my clutch and the bike righted itself, probably the first time instinct conquered physics. Then I spent 10 miles panic braking every time is saw whitish dirt.

All in all, 120 miles of twisties this weekend, sore shoulders and all.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've got a the road trip bug big time lately and have been reading up on how awesome Death Valley is to ride through in the spring. Anyone ever ridden through?
I've never really put together a trip where I was literally in the middle of no where so I'm not sure how the hell you plan out days. I'm used to just stopping and filling up when I get tired but depending on where you go in the park that doesn't seem like an option a lot of the time.

Facts:
I have a bike that can go about 150 miles between fill ups. I am looking for the non CA tank that would give me another gallon so that would put me at 200 miles +/-
There seems to be tons of little roads and places to get lost out there.
There are ghost towns that I feel like I need to see.
It looks like hotels outside the park are around 350 miles from me so I can bomb there after work dump my extra crap, sleep and be fresh for exploring in the morning.
I should have no problem getting 4 days off for the trip.
I'm a city person and have no idea what to do if there isn't a 7-11 nearby.

How would you guys go about planning such a thing?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Furnace creek has a fuel station. Definitely check out artist drive.

I was actually there last night. 150mi is doable, My spouse rode it on a ninja 650.

E: Shoshone and beatty have fuel stations too.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Basically it comes down to this:
1) people out in the sticks need gas too, and
2) there really isn't any road in California that's more than 60 miles from a gas station.

I know you're gonna be doing "exploring" so running a lot of miles and not knowing where fueling stations are, but if you sprinkle towns (or major road intersections) into your meanderings you'll find gas.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

^^^there really aren't towns or major road intersections in Death Valley. It's pretty much just hundreds of miles of nothing. Seems like you could easily do more that 100 miles out there without seeing a fuel station depending on which direction you headed.

cursedshitbox posted:

Furnace creek has a fuel station. Definitely check out artist drive.

I was actually there last night. 150mi is doable, My spouse rode it on a ninja 650.

E: Shoshone and beatty have fuel stations too.

Nice! You guys just wing it or did you have a map of places you wanted to see, fuel stops, etc?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wing'd it. Might I add, He rode it on a ninja about a year and a half ago.

That night it was a jeep trip to see some mines and ghost town stuff.
it has the same fuel range as a bike :v:

we both plan to go back soon with the bikes

I'd say at the worst if you're riding something with a 2-3 gal tank carry a couple of those aluminum fuel jars.
Or ride with a buddy that has the exxon valdez for a fuel tank.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I so very badly want to do a Death Valley ride. I'd rather camp than do hotels, though. But then I worry about roving meth heads.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I would like to camp too but I've never camped before which leaves me with no gear AND an irrational fear of being killed by ghosts or whatever else is out there. I suppose a rational fear of meth heads as well. Maybe if I was going with someone who knew what they were doing I'd try camping but solo I'm thinking hotels only.

It sounds like I'm going to be ok fuel wise. My bike has a 3.6ish gallon tank and it gets mid-high 40's bombing down the freeway at 80 and significantly better when I'm puttering along. I just base it off worst case scenario and say a 150 mile range is as far as I'd comfortably go. I could probably squeeze it a good few miles further if it came to it and was babying the throttle for the whole tank.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Based on that nights experience we were the only ones on the road for a whiiile. didn't see any campers. I'd think the methheads would end pretty short north of baker.

It would probably be good to have a buddy along that knows what to do

E: I've yet to encounter anything down right pants shittingly scary in the desert.

I think the worst was stumbling upon a middle aged man boning a prostitute.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 7, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

Based on that nights experience we were the only ones on the road for a whiiile. didn't see any campers. I'd think the methheads would end pretty short north of baker.

It would probably be good to have a buddy along that knows what to do

E: I've yet to encounter anything down right pants shittingly scary in the desert.

I think the worst was stumbling upon a middle aged man boning a prostitute.

You mean how to hide the bodies?

Biggest reason I'd like to camp is I've heard nothing but horror stories about hotel prices there. Like 200+ a night for a lovely rear end room.

drat, now I want to do that ride. That or SD to Eugene, OR.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I found rooms to be around $65 in Olancha which isn't too far from the park. I figured I'd head up there after work and in the morning ride over to Stovepipe Wells for a map, fuel and to make a half assed plan for the day.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
San Diegoon checking in (just saw this thread). Live downtown but moving to North Park Feb 1st.

Ride a Triumph ST and a Honda CBR250.

Haven't ridden either in a month. Going to fix that today.

Stugazi fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 17, 2015

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I live in North Park off University on Iowa. I tend to only ride back and forth to work these days but have been planning fixes for that above.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I am moving and realized I only wore this jacket a few times. It's a really nice jacket but I tend to go Dainese Space Lord a lot more than practical, safe commuter in a super comfy jacket.

Anyone interested in this size S Mens? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10312/i/tour-master-transition-series-2-jacket

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
One of my fork seals is leaking apparently, any recommended shops for Kawasaki in the LA area? Bonus if nearish to Pasadena.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Tried Temple City Powersports? The old manager and the service writer both left. The 2 new guys they have running the service counter seem to be alright when I talked to them last week.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
They're swamped until tuesday, ended calling Holmes Powersports in Pasadena as well, they quoted a whole $10 less than temple city but being 1 mile away instead of ~15 certainly helped sway me. Anyone had terrible experiences with them or even heard of them?

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 31, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pull your fork legs and bring them in separately. I don't know what going rates are like in Cali but I generally paid $120-130 for having fork seals replaced like this.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Huh, Holmes is down the street from me but I've never checked them out before.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Pull your fork legs and bring them in separately. I don't know what going rates are like in Cali but I generally paid $120-130 for having fork seals replaced like this.
I was quote $150-170 with parts and labor from the two shops, and that's on the bike. With that said, I don't have another vehicle so that would be a bit tough, not sure Uber drives would like a nice motorcycle fork tube in their back seat.

Friend of mine highly recommended Holmes, we'll see how it goes. They had to order the seal so maybe Tuesday I'll bring the bike back.

Another Pasadena tip I didn't know, the Pasadena Yamaha actually sells a lot of parts/service tools. They had a can of cable lube and the little thing that helps you apply it for cheaper than I found it online.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah, you're talking for one fork tube. I was talking both. I'd have both done at the same time.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Ah, you're talking for one fork tube. I was talking both. I'd have both done at the same time.
Hrm, that may be a decent idea especially since the bike is now unridable until I order a new clutch cable, thing was frayed at both ends when I went to lube them today

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Gillingham posted:

Another Pasadena tip I didn't know, the Pasadena Yamaha actually sells a lot of parts/service tools. They had a can of cable lube and the little thing that helps you apply it for cheaper than I found it online.

Yeah I like Pasadena Yamaha for stuff like that. They've done some work on my 690 for me, and they're always nice - plus once you see them putting the bikes in back away for the night and their little shop dog leaping up on the seats to get rides, welll.... :3:

I take my tires there to get mounted too, because although it's $15 cheaper at Berts screw that place.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is the road like up to Big Bear? I'm doing SoCal supermoto on Monday the 9th and I can't think of anywhere cool to stay for the night that is close. May as well go up to Big Bear...

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

What is the road like up to Big Bear? I'm doing SoCal supermoto on Monday the 9th and I can't think of anywhere cool to stay for the night that is close. May as well go up to Big Bear...

Depends which road you take up. 330 and 38 are nice and twisty. More traffic on 330. Watch out for gravel/salt/rocks on the road.

Kastivich fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 3, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kastivich posted:

Depends which road you take up. 330 and 38 are nice and twisty. More traffic on 330. Watch out for gravel/salt/rocks on the road.

18 is also good and has a few lanes so you can get around the slow traffic. watch out for the locals, they rip through there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hmm, looks like I can't lose then. :) I'm taking my E30 since the 749 is on slicks now; I was mostly worried about snowy roads.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Hmm, looks like I can't lose then. :) I'm taking my E30 since the 749 is on slicks now; I was mostly worried about snowy roads.

You can check the snow report before heading up, the ski places keep their websites up to date with road conditions. However, it has been a pretty warm winter and there has only been a couple of snow days. I was up there this weekend and their is only snow on some of the trails at higher elevation. If you are just driving up to Big Bear City you should have no problems.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Los Feliz reporting in :c00lbutt:

I got a beater 2007 Ninja 650r from a redneck who "high sided it on some gravel" for $2k about six months ago. Mostly use it to go to and from work, but sometimes I coast up and down Highway 1.

It has a good side, and a bad side… this is the good side (apologies for instagram filter)

Didn't ride it for most of December, battery died. Went to throw a charger/tender on it and :wth:

Edit:

How did dirt even get in here?

If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid? :confused:

Is there supposed to be anything holding the battery in? After I undid this mess it pulled right out

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 17, 2015

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm withdrawing any recommendations I made in the past to temple city powersports. The new guys running the service department gave me a quote of 450 bucks for a set of dunlop q3s and 650 bucks for a maintenance job with a valve check on a zx6.

Sure, I'm busy most of the time, but for 650 bucks? I'll make time to do it myself. Fuckers.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If labor is 125 an hour plus an expectation of shims, oil, filters, plugs and perhaps coolant, that seems completely reasonable. 4 hours of shop time plus 150 in parts.

Same for the tires, really. CA shop time is expensive. 1 hour of shop time plus tires means the tires are around 325, which seems reasonable.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not really; I was able to get tires for like 270. The shop down the street from me quoted me 80 bucks worth of labor, which is still almost 100 bucks cheaper than getting them done from the dealer when everything is added up.

And the maintenance quote they gave me is a whopping 200 bucks higher than what the old manager did last time when I had a major job like this.

Moral of the story: do it my drat self and quit working so much :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Is there really no place on the east side or DTLA that has a decent gear selection. I would like to check out dianese gear in person without having to go to the west-side or OC. Burts doesn't seem to carry them and doing a yelp search says the closest to the east side is gonna be bev hills ducatti (lol) or there's a cycle gear in canoga park. I guess I've never been out to a cycle gear so maybe Ill just check that out or venture to the fullerton one since that will probably be less traffic.

My hands are oddly large/long so finding gloves that fit without trying on has been a nightmare thus far. Even when gloves fit over the normal width of the hand I end up cramping because they don't fit in other spots.

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 7, 2015

• Locked thread