Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Oh really? I still need to drop in and knit one of these days!

e: What stalls should I DEFINITELY go to?
http://www.knittinguniverse.com/downloads/StitchesWest2015.pdf

I was thinking MsBabs and YOTH? Is there anything really awesome?

jomiel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Word of advice? Hit up MsBabs first. Like as soon as you can. The last yarn festival I went to that stand was INSANE. Huge lines and filled with people. I couldn't even get close to it!

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Wandering Knitter posted:

Word of advice? Hit up MsBabs first. Like as soon as you can. The last yarn festival I went to that stand was INSANE. Huge lines and filled with people. I couldn't even get close to it!

What's so awesome about MsBabs? Everyone keeps saying the same things about how amazing it is, but no one says what's amazing about it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Valdara posted:

What's so awesome about MsBabs? Everyone keeps saying the same things about how amazing it is, but no one says what's amazing about it.

I honestly have no idea. I only found out about MsBabs because of the huge mob of people. When I asked my knitting group about it they all answered along the lines of "It's MsBabs! MSBABS!!!"

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

I made mittens! The pattern is Robots vs Downtown, and the yarn is Claudia Handpaints fingering. The yarn was actually pretty bullshit, there were three separate spots where one ply just disappeared so I had to break and rejoin it. Plus I know there's a break in the remaining variegated yarn somewhere, because it broke when I was winding it on. Screw you, Claudia.

Still, they came out really well. Now I'm casting on my big gradient handspun for a shawl. We'll see how that goes.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

MarsDragon posted:

I made mittens! The pattern is Robots vs Downtown, and the yarn is Claudia Handpaints fingering. The yarn was actually pretty bullshit, there were three separate spots where one ply just disappeared so I had to break and rejoin it. Plus I know there's a break in the remaining variegated yarn somewhere, because it broke when I was winding it on. Screw you, Claudia.

Still, they came out really well. Now I'm casting on my big gradient handspun for a shawl. We'll see how that goes.

Holy poo poo that is amazing :stare:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MarsDragon posted:

These are amazing!

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

MarsDragon posted:

Ohhhhh, I want that! :swoon:

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

MarsDragon posted:

This is why I want to learn coloration in knitting.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ms. Happiness posted:

This is why I want to learn coloration in knitting.

You and me both! One of my goals for this year is to learn colourwork and finish those socks. The first one is done! Just.......just one more to go....

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Mad Hamish posted:

You and me both! One of my goals for this year is to learn colourwork and finish those socks. The first one is done! Just.......just one more to go....

Colorwork is way easier if you can knit both Continental and English. With one color in each hand, it goes much more smoothly than constantly having to put one down and pick up the other. You have to be careful with floats in the back, but I taught myself English style specifically so I could do this.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
But like everything else in knitting, it's ultimately down to your preference -- so if you can't get the knack of English, no worries, it's still totally possible. I'm obsessed with colorwork mittens/gloves, and trying to hold the yarn in both hands drives me nuts -- I've never bothered. I also strongly prefer DPNs to magic loop, and a ton of people are the opposite. It's just about what works for you. Don't be intimidated, just go for it.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Somehow, I cannot for the life of me get the hang of holding the yarn in my left hand, but I've managed to teach myself to knit left-handed. Still working on getting the hang of some stitches, but I can garter like no one's business. Makes it a lot easier when doing things that have ridiculous short rows, like the ten-stitch blanket I have on the needles right now.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
I'm working on a first fair-isle project right now which was a gift from a non-knitter. I'm hopeless with my left hand but can just about purl with my thumb without getting the yarn tangled. After a knit row I still have to untangle everything though.

But I'm having fun, and the actual project looks awesome (to me) right now, and isn't that the main thing?

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Portuguese knitting seems amazing to me. Purling looks like a breeze. It's on my to-learn list.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I originally learned English and taught myself continental because it was faster, but everyone else I know who knits does English so now I have to remember how to do it if I want to show someone something.

Gonna teach my mom to cable if she can teach me lace. I can't even do yarnovers somehow because none of the tutorials I've found online explained it very well and apparently there are like six different kinds of yarnover? Ugh.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Anne Whateley posted:

But like everything else in knitting, it's ultimately down to your preference -- so if you can't get the knack of English, no worries, it's still totally possible. I'm obsessed with colorwork mittens/gloves, and trying to hold the yarn in both hands drives me nuts -- I've never bothered. I also strongly prefer DPNs to magic loop, and a ton of people are the opposite. It's just about what works for you. Don't be intimidated, just go for it.

Yeah, I never bothered to learn continental either. I've tried, but it's such a pain to relearn how to knit that I always give up again after a couple of rows. I did all of the mittens by picking up and dropping the yarn. (exception for the checkerboard bits, where I held both yarns in my right hand and used my index finger to pick between them) I also did them on DPNs, so!

If you want to start with something easy, it's hard to go wrong with checks, and it'll get you used to working with two yarns at once. Then you can move up to complicated charting. The most important part is just managing your floats and keeping track of your pattern, the rest is practice.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I originally learned English and taught myself continental because it was faster, but everyone else I know who knits does English so now I have to remember how to do it if I want to show someone something.

Gonna teach my mom to cable if she can teach me lace. I can't even do yarnovers somehow because none of the tutorials I've found online explained it very well and apparently there are like six different kinds of yarnover? Ugh.

I can't imagine there are actually multiple kinda of yarn over.

Literally all it is, is bringing the yarn over the needle between stitches, so as to make a new stitch.

The only difference I can think of is when you're making one between two purl stitches it might be slightly different than one between a knit and a purl or whatever, but it's really just an extra loop over the needle.

You can totally do it, is what I'm saying. :)

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes, this. I did not mean to imply there is One True Way to knit, just that this technique made it easier for me. I had to proctor a three-hour exam on a Saturday, so I took my needles and some yarn and used that time to teach myself English knitting. It was frustrating to feel like I couldn't manage my yarn or my fingers, but it got sorted eventually. One key I've found is to be ok with being awful at it for a while. It's really hard to go back to being a beginner when you're used to being fluid. Do it terribly, look at your work, and figure out what went wrong, then try again with some changes. This is a job for scrap yarn most of the time, so you can just keep going even when it's all hosed up instead of having to frog it back between tries.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Uhhh those mittens are amazing. Definitely queuing those up for an upcoming birthday present.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

The idea of doing colourwork with continental and English is really interesting. I sort of half-assedly taught myself continental after my girlfriend taught me to knit because I was tired of dropping the yarn, loop around needle, etc etc. This was, of course, slow and annoying so one day while working on a garter stitch project I just decided to loop it around my index finger and things went much better from there. Still can't figure out Norwegian purling, though!

On the weekend she was telling me that she never taught me to knit continental but she told me to hold the yarn on the left so clearly she did. It's all her fault, of course.

Right now I'm working on a boneyard shawl. I'm liking it so far but I think I'm probably going to have to block it to Hell and back to make it the shape I want. Here's a look at the work in progress:

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
It's pretty much a given that shawls have to be blocked to achieve the desired shape. It's worth it in the end though. Yours looks great so far!

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

Valdara posted:

I just came here from Ravelry after too long of looking for a pattern to use with a skein of Miss Babs, so...

It's the colors. Miss Babs has colors and combinations that no one else does. The fiber itself is nice, too. There are a lot of dyers out there that have unique colorways. Miss Babs is larger than most and a favorite of enough knitters/crocheters and pattern makers to get the name out more.

I want to make a shrug out of a skein of Yowza but would probably need more. The color I have is a Babette (unrepeatable colorway) so I can't just order another skein and there's no guarantee that any color would go with it. Which saves me from spending $40. For now. I'm going to look for another yarn to use with it. But I'll still be at Miss Babs at Stitches when it's in my neck of the woods.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

suddenly cats posted:

It's pretty much a given that shawls have to be blocked to achieve the desired shape. It's worth it in the end though. Yours looks great so far!

Well that gives me some hope. I've been looking at pictures of other people's versions of it and thinking 'my God, this is never going to look the same!' Pretty much everything I've made so far hasn't needed blocking so maybe I just have no clue as to how it works out. I'm glad it looks OK, it's been a fun and easy knit so far and this tweedy yarn is great to work with. And so soft! It's mohair and alpaca.

My girlfriend's learning to spin and holy crap am I excited about the yarn she'll be able to make me.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Mad Hamish posted:

Well that gives me some hope. I've been looking at pictures of other people's versions of it and thinking 'my God, this is never going to look the same!' Pretty much everything I've made so far hasn't needed blocking so maybe I just have no clue as to how it works out. I'm glad it looks OK, it's been a fun and easy knit so far and this tweedy yarn is great to work with. And so soft! It's mohair and alpaca.

My girlfriend's learning to spin and holy crap am I excited about the yarn she'll be able to make me.

I just finished and blocked a shawl about a month ago, and before blocking it had the same kind of hump shape in the middle. Granted, the type of shawl I did required an aggressive blocking, but it totally fixed it out nice and flat.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Devi posted:

I just came here from Ravelry after too long of looking for a pattern to use with a skein of Miss Babs, so...

It's the colors. Miss Babs has colors and combinations that no one else does. The fiber itself is nice, too. There are a lot of dyers out there that have unique colorways. Miss Babs is larger than most and a favorite of enough knitters/crocheters and pattern makers to get the name out more.

I want to make a shrug out of a skein of Yowza but would probably need more. The color I have is a Babette (unrepeatable colorway) so I can't just order another skein and there's no guarantee that any color would go with it. Which saves me from spending $40. For now. I'm going to look for another yarn to use with it. But I'll still be at Miss Babs at Stitches when it's in my neck of the woods.

Oh god I just checked out their webpage and all of their Babette fiber is on sale for $15. Sometimes I hate that I've memorized my credit card number. It makes it way too easy to order things.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Valdara posted:

Oh god I just checked out their webpage and all of their Babette fiber is on sale for $15. Sometimes I hate that I've memorized my credit card number. It makes it way too easy to order things.

I was horribly tempted by that too, but then I thought of the drat fleece I have sitting in my living room and closed the tab. I'm going to try not to buy anything until that's a sweater. (I'm going to fail)

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Enablers, the lot of you! I had started spindle spinning a while ago and have some lovely samples, but white and brown was getting ridiculously boring. Especially since winter here is so grey.

So I just bought a couple of lovely purple braids to jumpstart me back into things. :3:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Phishi posted:

Enablers, the lot of you! I had started spindle spinning a while ago and have some lovely samples, but white and brown was getting ridiculously boring. Especially since winter here is so grey.

So I just bought a couple of lovely purple braids to jumpstart me back into things. :3:

I may be a little biased, but we have a pretty bitchin' spinning thread

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Phishi posted:

One of us... One of us...

:kimchi:

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Tincanknits are having a Buy One Get One Free sale to celebrate their 5th birthday. Includes ebooks, excludes print books and a handful of patterns. Runs until March 8th I think? More details on their blog.

I was just going to grab a couple of patterns, but since it includes ebooks I think I'll go the whole hog, I love their designs.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

left_unattended posted:

Tincanknits are having a Buy One Get One Free sale to celebrate their 5th birthday. Includes ebooks, excludes print books and a handful of patterns. Runs until March 8th I think? More details on their blog.

I was just going to grab a couple of patterns, but since it includes ebooks I think I'll go the whole hog, I love their designs.

I bought four sweater patterns yesterday. For some reason, I really need an Antler sweater.

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014

left_unattended posted:

I just bought 2 ebooks. Thanks for the heads up.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Thanks! I love their patterns.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

left_unattended posted:

Ooooh...their sweaters are so pretty! Thank you for posting!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
You're all most welcome! I love their designs, and I was so happy when I saw it includes ebooks. I've had my eye on Handmade in the UK for aaaaages.

Stitch Bitch
May 19, 2005

Bitch I got that
:h:~fuckin swag~:h:
Hi knitting thread! I've been mostly a crocheter for a long time, but in the past couple of years I've been getting (back) into knitting, with a vengeance. Here's my latest project, a vest that I seriously can't wait to give to my 5-year-old nephew. :3:

Ravelry project page

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Stitch Bitch posted:

Hi knitting thread! I've been mostly a crocheter for a long time, but in the past couple of years I've been getting (back) into knitting, with a vengeance. Here's my latest project, a vest that I seriously can't wait to give to my 5-year-old nephew. :3:

Ravelry project page

Oh my god that's adorable. I really want to make one for my own 5-year-old nephew now.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Stitch Bitch posted:

Ravelry project page

That looks perfect. I love admiring knitting from afar rather than seeing all the mistakes I've made. Keep up the knitting since you're clearly good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
How difficult does this pattern look?

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTtorreyana.php?printOption=printNoImages

It's listed under their "hardest" level but it doesn't seem too terribly difficult. I've done a few shawls now but this will be a bigger project for me. I'd like to try the worsted size.