Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Servers involved are all under my control and nothing has changed. It is a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bit rot strikes again. :D

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
;) I wonder what actually did it, ah well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BlackMK4 posted:

Replying to myself, it turns out that somehow Filezilla started treating files ending in .sh as ASCII transfers, rather than binary. Because of this it was adding CR before the LF at the end of lines. How this happened... I have no idea. I didn't change any Filezilla settings other than moving to Active mode, which was months ago.

It sounds like you have a server autotranslating EOLs to the target system on "A" transfers.

Just set all transfers to binary. Unless you specifically need EBCDIC or ASCII translations, stick with binary transfer so your file does't change.

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!
Is there any referencing software for Pages that isn't EndNote? Preferably free or with a heavy education discount.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is there a Jdownloader replacement for YouTube video downloading, since JDownloader seems to given up being able to download YouTube stuff?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Malf posted:

Is there any referencing software for Pages that isn't EndNote? Preferably free or with a heavy education discount.

I don't think any of the free ones I know of (Zotero, Mendeley) are integrated with Pages. I think Papers has some sort of interface with Pages that lets you insert and format citations. I think there is a moderate education discount off of the $80 retail.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 17, 2015

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Malf posted:

Your best free option will be Zotero + the Zotquery workflow for Alfred: http://hackademic.postach.io/zotquery-an-alfred-workflow-for-zotero (I'm not sure if it requires an Alfred powerpack subscription or not, but powerpack is worth it and a better investment than an expensive citation manager.) I've moved through a number of citation managers during the course of grad school and now my career (Bookends, Sente, Papers, and Endnote), and I can tell you that Zotero is the best way to go. Also: You can try it for free.

If you use Zotero, I highly recommend the Zotfile plugin -- http://zotfile.com -- which can automatically rename and move your PDFs based on metadata. It can also extract highlights and annotations, so if you highlight an OCR'd pdf in preview, zotfile can extract those highlights and save them to a text file.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I don't think any of the free ones I know of (Zotero, Mendeley) are integrated with Pages. I think Papers has some sort of interface with Pages that lets you insert and format citations. I think there is a moderate education discount off of the $80 retail.
Papers 3 is terrible.

The last update this week made it ever so slightly less terrible, but it's still terrible.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Papers 3 is terrible.

The last update this week made it ever so slightly less terrible, but it's still terrible.

Last I played with was Papers 2 when my coworker bought it. We use Mendeley and Word, because at least Word is not Excel for Mac.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol at Office iOS getting more updates than Office for OSX. What a piece of poo poo.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol at Office iOS getting more updates than Office for OSX. What a piece of poo poo.

That's because there's no point in updating OSX Office until the 2015 version has been released. It's deprecated software that no-one cares about.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's because it never had any updates!

I finally changed to the Mac office suite after having to use PowerPoint and it just died every time I tried to play a presentation.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Last I played with was Papers 2 when my coworker bought it. We use Mendeley and Word, because at least Word is not Excel for Mac.
I actually rather liked Papers 2.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I use Papers 3 and it works fine for me -- I guess I just use it to hold all of my references and don't try to annotate or really integrate with Word or Pages, though.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

kapalama posted:

Is there a Jdownloader replacement for YouTube video downloading, since JDownloader seems to given up being able to download YouTube stuff?

I don't know what JDownloader is but youtube-dl is in homebrew and is good at downloading YouTube stuff. If you're looking for a browser extension or gui app though, I've got nothing.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

kapalama posted:

iTube Studio works pretty well, but isn't free.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

kapalama posted:

Do your updates in Jdownloader. It worked fine for me about 3 hours ago.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I have an interesting problem. I've been experimenting with Steam Home Streaming, and I found some bizarre behaviour. The stream could be completely perfect, but every 10 seconds it will stutter. It seemed like a networking issue so I confirmed by downloading a file from the Internet and watching the speed, and by transferring a file across the LAN and watching the speed. Indeed every 10 seconds the WiFi in my rMBP hiccups! Speed drops to 1-2MB/s from 18MB/s+. I timed it from the end of the disruption to the beginning of the next one, and outside of the error of a human operating a stopwatch it's pretty much exactly 10 seconds each time. So I watched my CPU% in Activity Monitor and indeed exactly when the disruption happens, airportd spins up and uses some CPU cycles! 4-6%. Then the disruption ends, airportd goes back to 0% only to be woken up in exactly 10 seconds. There's nothing relevant in the Console.

If I am streaming the video game in the background and I hear the audio start to stutter, if I sudo killall airportd then the stuttering immediately stops.

WTF is airportd doing?

edit: Found the problem. I logged in with a Guest account and couldn't get the issue to manifest, so I figured it was an application doing something funky. I closed any networked applications I had running and re-introduced them one by one. The culprit? Last.fm app. I don't know what it was asking the Airport to do, but just by starting and stopping the Last.fm scrobbler app I was able to create the problem and also make it go away. Funny, I never would have imagined such a harmless app would be disrupting my network every 10 seconds.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 18, 2015

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Nope, we rely on a file system watcher at work a lot. I'd know within a few hours of an update that broke it as everyone would be bitching. It particularly uses the OS X API FSEvents through the ruby rb-fsevents gem.

I'm definitely seeing this with a number of applications, including SourceTree (doesn't pick up changes to the current repo), WebStorms (doesn't update the project directory navigator when changes happen externally) and node.js (grunt does not pick up changes to assets).

All of these seem to be somewhat intermittent as well....No idea as to what's causing it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've been using my personal mid-2012 Macbook Pro at work lately (not the best idea, but it's that or a creaky Dell with a terrible screen). I created a second user account to keep personal and business stuff separate, but fast user switching doesn't appear to be working like I remember. If I switch from one user to another it acts like I just rebooted the computer, reloading all the previously open programs from scratch and rebooting anything in my start folder that I had already exited out of. Is that how it's supposed to work? I thought I remembered it running both users simultaneously or at least suspending the other user.

This is on 10.10.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Does anyone recall how to fix Classic apps (Mac OS 8, 9) that have been moved to a "non Apple" file system?

Their resource forks (or whatever) were stripped, and now the system no longer sees them as applications.

With OS X apps, it's as easy as "chmod +x", but that doesn't work with Classic apps.

I have some old scientific apps that I need to resurrect.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Xenomorph posted:

Does anyone recall how to fix Classic apps (Mac OS 8, 9) that have been moved to a "non Apple" file system?

Their resource forks (or whatever) were stripped, and now the system no longer sees them as applications.

With OS X apps, it's as easy as "chmod +x", but that doesn't work with Classic apps.

I have some old scientific apps that I need to resurrect.

You need to get pristine copies from another source. There is no way to repair apps damaged that way as the data stored in the resource fork is gone, not merely mangled.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

BobHoward posted:

You need to get pristine copies from another source. There is no way to repair apps damaged that way as the data stored in the resource fork is gone, not merely mangled.

Back in the old days I just used a tool like Filebuddy to set the resource fork on files that had lost their info. If you can find out what the resource fork is supposed to be (Ex: PICT for pict files) you might be able to find a tool to set it for you. Then the old OS will recognize the file type again.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I think you're talking about resetting type and creator codes.

If there was required data in the the resource fork (and I'm guessing for actual applications there always should be something in there) then the OP is SOL.

Macintosh Garden has a lot of "abandonware" Classic Mac apps, although I doubt they would have any obscure science apps like you imply.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

~Coxy posted:

If there was required data in the the resource fork (and I'm guessing for actual applications there always should be something in there) then the OP is SOL.

It's this. Classic Mac apps kept all text, picture, and layout data required for the user interface in the resource fork. 68K apps also kept actual executable code in the resource fork, so if it's a super old app it's really toast.

I suppose you could probably "repair" a PowerPC executable enough to get the OS to try to launch the app, but odds are excellent it'll just crash out on launch since it won't be able to read all the resources it's hard-coded to assume are present.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I have a somewhat complicated Networking question.

I want to create a network with my mac, run a virtual machine (through VMware), have the virtual machine have a static IP address, and then have several tablets connect to the virtual machine to download and upload data. All without there being an internet connection available. And probably no electricity either.

I found the option to create a wifi network with my Macbook Pro (retina, 13'), I just need to find a way to have the virtual machine have the same internal IP address all the time. This is a requirement to have the tablets connect properly.

I'm sure this must be possible somehow, I just don't know if it's possible with the built-in function. It's pretty low on settings.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

LPG Giant posted:

I have a somewhat complicated Networking question.

I want to create a network with my mac, run a virtual machine (through VMware), have the virtual machine have a static IP address, and then have several tablets connect to the virtual machine to download and upload data. All without there being an internet connection available. And probably no electricity either.

I found the option to create a wifi network with my Macbook Pro (retina, 13'), I just need to find a way to have the virtual machine have the same internal IP address all the time. This is a requirement to have the tablets connect properly.

I'm sure this must be possible somehow, I just don't know if it's possible with the built-in function. It's pretty low on settings.
Bridge the virtual machine's network card to your physical Wi-Fi adapter and then manually set the static IP inside the guest OS's networking options so it's on the same network range as your Mac is. I think VMware defaults to NAT/Shared mode which won't allow traffic back into the VM.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Any recommendations for a good blogging tool? Just needs to be able to connect to Wordpress.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

beefnoodle posted:

Any recommendations for a good blogging tool? Just needs to be able to connect to Wordpress.

Wordpress keeps a list here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Weblog_Client

I'm guessing just Googling those will be a good start.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Which of course I've already done. Now I'm in the 'ask people what they like' phase.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

beefnoodle posted:

Which of course I've already done. Now I'm in the 'ask people what they like' phase.

I use vim.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

beefnoodle posted:

MarsEdit.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Slowhanded posted:

I use vim.

I do too. Or rather I did once, and still can't figure out how to exit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

enMTW posted:

MarsEdit.

Yes, this one is pretty good if you want to manage everything from your desktop as opposed to the admin interface on the blog.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I have a question about Time Machine/a solicitation for advice on backups.

I have a MBP, and the SSD in here is a little cramped for media. My media drive has enough irreplaceable stuff on it - pictures, movies, etc - that I'd love to be able to keep it all backed up in case of drive failure. If I connect an external to my Airport Extreme as NAS for media, then plug a HDD into my mac via USB, can I set it to also backup the NAS? I know running backups off drives you actually have to remember to plug in defeats some of the convenience of Time Machine, but I'm not sure how else to run this.

In the alternative, can someone suggest a method of handling all this poo poo in a more seamless way?

This doesn't feel like a terribly uncommon situation, surely someone's figured out a decent way to do this.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 21, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boxman posted:

In the alternative, can someone suggest a method of handling all this poo poo in a more seamless way?

Buy an actual NAS, run RAID 5 or 6, Time Machine to the NAS, periodic automatic backup of really important stuff off-site (S3 or whoever is competitive in that space these days).

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Or use CrashPlan.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Depending on your size needs and internet speeds, cloud storage may not be the best. But if you're looking at, say, < 3 TB and don't want to bother learning about RAID best practices, I'd recommend a cloud backup, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Mercurius posted:

Bridge the virtual machine's network card to your physical Wi-Fi adapter and then manually set the static IP inside the guest OS's networking options so it's on the same network range as your Mac is. I think VMware defaults to NAT/Shared mode which won't allow traffic back into the VM.

Wow those were a lot of things I have never heard of. But a simpler problem for now: when I create the network on my mac it doesn't actually appear to work. It's not broadcasting a WiFi signal: none of my devices can find it. I was also surprised that there is no option to secure the network.