Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Made that tomato squash peanut stew someone posted way back when, pics have expired but has a link to the original.

Edit: wiki'd @ http://goonswithspoons.com/Peanut-Butternut_Squash_Stew

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

my insomnia was really bad and i couldn't sleep at all last night, so i made red velvet cupcakes to share with my class this morning

there were a few people who didn't want any, which is fine. but one of them was a girl who looked visibly repulsed by them. then when one of our later instructors came in he brought some standard safeway sugar cookies with sprinkles and she was all over those. idgi

also cooking red velvet anything makes your kitchen look like a murder scene

Recipe? I do not have a good red velvet in my book, these look great.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Korean short ribs about to go into the bath at 62C for 24 hours.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Olpainless posted:

And, because we're going out later for a valentine's meal, and having a few drinks, I figured I should prepare something for soaking up the alcohol later, so...

Chicken breast puff parcel stuffed with tarragon porcini butter, with black onion seed.
Should do the job nicely.

Please bring me some to soak up my alcohol later.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!

Nephzinho posted:

Recipe? I do not have a good red velvet in my book, these look great.

I think they're the same ones from a couple pages back. I saw Wheeze the roux post on her blog asking a question about it thats why I guess that. I also made these cupcakes last week and they are amazing. I used chicken eggs instead of the duck she did though.

Dale Meets Wall fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 15, 2015

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
I changed a couple things. for one I'd do significantly more salt (I doubled it to 2tsp and thought it could possibly use more). I used way less sugar and no vanilla extract in the frosting because I like it a lot more tart (but I did use neufchatel), wanted the pure flavor of the cheese, and wanted to keep it white and not yellowish for better contrast. I did a half cup of cocoa and used dutch process which worked out really well, I also used a higher ratio of cake flour. The recipe also says "1oz (3tbsp)" of food coloring but 1oz is 30mL and a tablespoon is 15mL, so I went with the full 45mL because RED. I also got really good results results by doing dry->wet->dry->wet->dry, but reserving the creamed butter in a separate bowl during that process and beating it in last. Also it worked just fine with a hand mixer instead of a stand mixer, since I've only got the former in my current apartment.

i did use the duck eggs but i'd have to make a 2nd batch with chicken eggs to see if i could tell a difference. i had them on hand so it was easy enough but i doubt i'd seek them out if it they weren't easily available. i miss living 5 minutes walk from pike market and being able to get any egg i could imagine at a moments notice. ostrich egg omelettes were hilarious to make for friends at a 90s night party where we watched jurassic park

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 15, 2015

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's basically a heart! Cooked a porterhouse for my valentine, along with SubG's asparagus/oyster mushroom balsalmic reduction recommendation, and some sweet potato fries because I almost made steak au poivre but my meat was maybe too good for that but I still wanted a potato-side.

For dessert that smitten kitchen red wine chocolate cake someone posted. Used an open bottle of Gun Bun in the cake then topped with some vanilla cream, raspberries, and a raspberry infused balsalmic. It was terrific!

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Quick and dirty pic of dinner tonite - tenderloin, spiny lobster tail and creamy new potatoes. Tenderloin was devoured but it was perfectly cooked which was a bit of a challenge as we just moved and only have a charcoal grill which I haven't done in a while.

The children had leftover spaghetti. Amazingly all the ingredients were from our fridge or freezer so no shopping other than wine (2010 Osoyoos Laroose le grand vin).

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 15, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
The table that food is on is HUGE.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

goodness posted:

The table that food is on is HUGE.

If you mean mine yeah, it's our new 9'x4' harvest kinda table. It's pretty big.

e: oh yeah. wine's better than i thought

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 15, 2015

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

squirrelzipper posted:

he was sarcastically telling you that your photo is breaking all the loving tables not actually commenting on your kitchen table

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

squirrelzipper posted:

e: oh yeah. wine's better than i thought

:D Your steak looks delicious though! I'll have to see if I can find some of that wine if it is that good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hed posted:

For dessert that smitten kitchen red wine chocolate cake someone posted. Used an open bottle of Gun Bun in the cake then topped with some vanilla cream, raspberries, and a raspberry infused balsalmic. It was terrific!

I always and forever recommend this cake cuz its so dang good

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
I told my GF she could pick anything she'd like for me to make her for valentines day.
She decided she wanted fish, and it had to be Scandinavian.

I made fiskesuppe with cod, lobster, and scallops.
Shellfish cream base, with a lot of dill, leeks, carrots, and lemon zest.

We used to make this cocktail together we came up with, called a norwegian elkhound.
It was, akvavit, grapefruit juice, sugar, and dill. But since I got sober we've not had it.
So, for dessert, I made grapefruit brûlée with caraway whipped cream (to mimic the akvavit) and dill.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Olpainless posted:

Chicken breast puff parcel stuffed with tarragon porcini butter, with black onion seed.
Should do the job nicely.

A delicious murder scene.

Please explain this and give a recipe.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

i'm guessing it was basically like a chicken wellington with porcinis used for the duxelles but if i'm wrong then yeah i'll take a recipe for that too

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Woof! Woof! posted:

I made fiskesuppe with cod, lobster, and scallops.
Shellfish cream base, with a lot of dill, leeks, carrots, and lemon zest.

That looks loving magnificent :love:

I've eaten :cthulhu:squid:cthulhu: plenty of times but never prepped or cooked it before. OH GOD THE HEADS AND BEAKS AND :cry:

Anyway, once the PTSD had settled in I made Yam Pra-Muek (a spicy Thai squid salad). Squid, obviously. Dressing is bird's-eye chillies, garlic, palm sugar, Thai fish sauce, lime juice. Salad itself is garlic, garlic chives, spring onions, banana shallot, plum cherry tomatoes, cucumber, mint, basil (had to cheat and use regular as couldn't find Thai):

Wasn't terribly confident in my squid-scoring abilities but oh hey look they're curling up nicely wok-ed in some ginger/veg oil/sesame oil. They look almost professional on the right once the dressing goes in...

Toss with the cold bits and:

Was really tasty and a fine effortdish to treat myself alone on vday :emo:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Leper Residue posted:

Please explain this and give a recipe.

As someone guessed, basically a chicken Wellington but i also butterflied the breasts and stuffed them with some tarragon butter mixed with a touch of dried porcini ground into powder.

Egg wash had a pinch of turmeric for an extra little bit of colour and earthiness.

They were devoured mercilessly.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

so a syncretic chicken cordon wellington. more or less

tha sounds cool

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

charliebravo77 posted:

Korean short ribs about to go into the bath at 62C for 24 hours.

Looks awesome!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

sweat poteto posted:

Made that tomato squash peanut stew someone posted way back when, pics have expired but has a link to the original.

This is my go-to for pot luck. It's loving awesome and I've had tons of people ask me for the recipe. Looks good!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I helped some, but these are largely my girlfriend's handiwork. I thought they turned out amazing, though, and I wanted to share. Lemon cupcakes:

Topping is just piped whipped cream; we adapted these from a recipe for a lemon cake, so it called for a lemon glaze, but we thought it would be too sweet, so we went with this instead. I also really liked the cup liners.

artichokeyou
Jul 1, 2010

Valentine's Day dinner I made for the husband and I. Rib eye medallion, scallops, sweet corn puree, and asparagus with a panko/parmesan crust.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eggless pancakes cuz I apparently dont have eggs in the fridge right now. Taste pretty good, a bit dense though. At least I know I can still pancake when I don't have egg around.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

got a great deal on some lamb and ground pork at the moscow coop so I decided to make meatballs. mixed the meat with garlic power, onion powder, smoked salt, oregano, shalllots, sumac, incanestrato, cayenne, chili flakes, olive oil, pimenton, pepper, and a few other things. before adding the egg + breadcrumbs (I have a bunch of great sicilian breadcrumbs from my old place of employment) i reserved some of the meat mix on the sign to make a greek-persian inspired pizza. made persian flatbread, parbaked it, then rubbed it all over with my good olive oil and sprinkled with seasalt, then topped with the meat and fresh ciligene mozz, finally topped with grated mizithra and oregano. whole process took <30 minutes and gently caress it's so good.

if I'd had olives and spinach on hand i would've put that in there too, plus some sherry vinegar or lemon juice would've been good to add to either the meatball mix or on the pizza but w/e. next time!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Casu Marzu posted:

Eggless pancakes cuz I apparently dont have eggs in the fridge right now. Taste pretty good, a bit dense though. At least I know I can still pancake when I don't have egg around.

Eggless pancakes are fine, I just make a thinner batter so they're almost like crepes. Wholemeal flour, lemon and raw sugar mmm

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Scallops over a warm brussels sprouts slaw with pancetta, a basic risotto, and artichoke and feta focaccia. Was all relatively simple and super good.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I made a low country boil for one, sans corn (which is seasonal, apparently). Yes I ate it all.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I made mapo tofu for the first time (first time I ate it as well)

incredible taste, way too hot, way too salty, but drat!!!....will definitely make again

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

paraquat posted:

I made mapo tofu for the first time (first time I ate it as well)

incredible taste, way too hot, way too salty, but drat!!!....will definitely make again

Mapo Tofu is the little dish that could. Such a simple thing but so amazing. It's the dish I use as a barometer for a new Chinese place, if they don't sell it then I don't eat there. If it tastes bad then I never go back.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Bunch of sous-vide poo poo for Valentine's Day dinner.

Mi-cuit salmon:

Glazed carrots and 135F ribeyes. Finished off by searing in butter and shallots.

Creme brulee. I should have put more sugar on and bruleed more. But the creme part was really good.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Scallops over a warm brussels sprouts slaw with pancetta, a basic risotto, and artichoke and feta focaccia. Was all relatively simple and super good.

I bet this was delicious but your plates are hilarious.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

wheez the roux posted:

got a great deal on some lamb and ground pork at the moscow coop so I decided to make meatballs. mixed the meat with garlic power, onion powder, smoked salt, oregano, shalllots, sumac, incanestrato, cayenne, chili flakes, olive oil, pimenton, pepper, and a few other things. before adding the egg + breadcrumbs (I have a bunch of great sicilian breadcrumbs from my old place of employment) i reserved some of the meat mix on the sign to make a greek-persian inspired pizza. made persian flatbread, parbaked it, then rubbed it all over with my good olive oil and sprinkled with seasalt, then topped with the meat and fresh ciligene mozz, finally topped with grated mizithra and oregano. whole process took <30 minutes and gently caress it's so good.

if I'd had olives and spinach on hand i would've put that in there too, plus some sherry vinegar or lemon juice would've been good to add to either the meatball mix or on the pizza but w/e. next time!

this looks really amazing and has inspired me to grind some meatballs later

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

:agreed:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Drink and Fight posted:

It was delicious and those are actually holdovers from when my girlfriend moved in with me. She's into flowery poo poo, whatever. We've been looking at getting some nice new ones but haven't found a set we agree on (I like square, she likes round).

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP
The plates actually rule.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pierat posted:

The plates actually rule.

Hilarious doesn't equate bad?

Unlike gravity's, which are eye-searingly bad.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Casu Marzu posted:

pajeon drunk snack

weisswurst and ultra crispy taters and roasted carrots

monte cristo madam with rye bread

Them some good pics.

There's a similar Japanese dish like pajeon right? God a recipe for yours, as well as whatever sauce you might dip with it?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Fried my first chicken in a cast iron! Mixed some flour with garlic powder, white/black pepper, cayenne pepper and dipped flour-egg-flour. Ended up buffaloing some in franks hot, Serrano pepper, a little ghost chili oil, and balsamic vinegar.

goodness fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey goodness, your pictures are huge.

In the url, in front of the .jpg, put a lower case L, so that you get i.imgur.com/XxDhqCEl.jpg. It will show a more manageable sized version of you photo.

Made lomo saltado. Far be it from me to tell the Peruvian people their dish sounds kinda stupid, but mixing french fries in sounds stupid, so I put potato wedges on the side.

edit: also if you happen to have a wok and a super hot burner, you might try doing this. It was invented by Chinese immigrants in Peru and would really lend itself well to a good wok stir-fry

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 18, 2015

• Locked thread