Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

PierreTheMime posted:

What you've posted has almost no chance to break QS save the Tyrant and Zoanthropes in Shooting or any MC getting into close combat (which likely won't happen). If you want to try getting some shooting to take it out, you could go with a Tyrannofex (though it's not a great buy), Hive Guard, or adding Venom Cannons to the Tyrannocyte. If you're going to field a Tervigon, you may as well go the extra 40pts and make it a Troop for ObSec, that way you can force your opponent to have to get their troops near your scary bug if they hope to score.

Thanks for the feedback!

As I said in my previous post, I'm only bringing the tervigon because it's the one tyranid model I've painted. I know it's not a great option in the HQ slot (a second flyrant would be significantly better and wouldn't be that hard to find points for). I'm not doing the 30 'gants because 1) I want to drop the dev gants in the pod to put overwhelming numbers of wounds on anything he has that isn't in a transport, and 2) I only own around 50 assembled gants so if the tervigon is going to spawn I want models on hand to use, for at least two turns.

I could drop the hormagants and give the tyrannocyte venom cannons; I had kept it with deathspitters to save on points and because having to do 5 blasts per shooting phase seems more tedious than fun.

I could probably get rid of the tyrannocyte all together and bring more hormagaunts and biovores, but I'm very limited by the models I have assembled (the full list of what I have can be derived from my previous post (link)).

Honestly, I'm expecting to lose and if he has 3 ghost arks I'll just try to get it over with quickly. If I wanted to win, I'd stack flyers since I know this guy doesn't have anti-flyer models yet.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
What models do you have? You asked for advice against AV13 and you keep saying you're going to add more units of things that cannot hurt it at all. Some Carnifices would do, Heavy Venom Cannons on either Harpies or a ground MC would be okay too. Biovores are good for nuking Warriors, but you have to get them out of their Arks first.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Just got my IA2 Second Edition and sIcaran today. Love the print quality of the book, but it's nice to see the usual FW quality at work - the Fire Raptor is missing its upgrade options and costs and the Sicaran is AV13 all over. (There's a FAQ, I know).

Also, the Sicaran was surprisingly easy to put together - no air bubbles or warping in that particular set, save for one of the barrels being slightly bent.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hey ghetto wormhole, any chance you could track down Inquisitor Rex?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
According the Hastings, Genestealer Cult is going to get the Harlequin treatment at some point this year. I really hope he hasn't gone senile..

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

According the Hastings, Genestealer Cult is going to get the Harlequin treatment at some point this year. I really hope he hasn't gone senile..

Already looking forward to the limousine/school bus dual kit.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

That's a dumb loving way of explaining a rule, holy poo poo.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The army I've been wanting official rules for since 4th. I predict no limos, no stolen guard tanks etc., no patriarch but some crazy formations. And I'll still buy the crap out of it if they release plastic hybrids with proper rules for all 4 generations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Mango Polo posted:

That's a dumb loving way of explaining a rule, holy poo poo.

It's probably a future USR, there have been a few things like that popping up in the past couple books.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

PierreTheMime posted:

What models do you have? You asked for advice against AV13 and you keep saying you're going to add more units of things that cannot hurt it at all. Some Carnifices would do, Heavy Venom Cannons on either Harpies or a ground MC would be okay too. Biovores are good for nuking Warriors, but you have to get them out of their Arks first.

I have the models I listed in the two posts I made with lists, plus most of a carnifex.

For convenience:
2 flyrants
1 tervigon (used to be magnetized so I could make a tyranofex but the basing makes that difficult now)
45-50 termigants, 19 devs the rest fleshborers
10 gargoyles
1 crone
3 zoanthropes
2 venomthropes
3 biovores
1 exocrine
3 warriors
30 hormagaunts
tyranocyte
A partially assembled carnifex with no arms.

Again, as I said in my original request for help I'm not trying to mop the floor with the new player, I just want to provide a close and enjoyable game for both of us. From the models above, if I wanted to have the highest chance of killing necron vehicles (with the models I have on hand) I'd go with the two flyrants, the carnifex with 2x devourers, all three zoanthropes, the crone and then filling in the rest with whatever best fit the points I had available. But this guy had said he doesn't really have an answer to flyers (I probably should have told him I didn't have an answer to quantum shielding) so I wanted to minimize those models.

If he only has one or two vehicles, I'd be fine with just the zoanthropes. Maybe they get rid of QS before they die, maybe they don't but the rest of his army can fight it out with my infantry. If he's just got 40 warriors in 4 ghost arks, then that's not going to be fun with anything I'm capable of bringing for tyranids and I'll just get the game over with and decline to play against him with that army again.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 17, 2015

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

It's 'doable' in that it is not a physical impossibility. The current framework of the rules, however, doesn't have provisions for what you're describing.

Given that FW crafted an entire set of new rules for the drill's movement and assaulting, "there aren't rules for that" rings as a rather hollow defense.

I like how hard they're pretending that rule will ever be used for any other model anywhere in the game ever again. It's not actually a bad rule overall, even if it's amazingly poorly worded, but Rex has had that for like a decade now and there's never been anything else with it; I don't imagine that will change anytime soon.

poo poo, they take two paragraphs to explain something that really only needs one sentence. Forge World, lemme clean that up for you:

Slayer (X): A model with Slayer (or that attacks using a weapon with Slayer) has the Fleshbane and Armorbane rules against models of the specified type- if no type is specified, it has these rules for all attacks.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Lungboy posted:

The army I've been wanting official rules for since 4th. I predict no limos, no stolen guard tanks etc., no patriarch but some crazy formations. And I'll still buy the crap out of it if they release plastic hybrids with proper rules for all 4 generations.

You'll get stolen tanks but they'll all be 11/11/10 and you'll need to roll every turn to see if one of the crew chews on something they aren't supposed to.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
please don't steal rules from Orks.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AbusePuppy posted:

poo poo, they take two paragraphs to explain something that really only needs one sentence. Forge World, lemme clean that up for you:

Slayer (X): A model with Slayer (or that attacks using a weapon with Slayer) has the Fleshbane and Armorbane rules against models of the specified type- if no type is specified, it has these rules for all attacks.

lmao why are they so bad at this?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

I like how almost all of his psychic powers will cause him to explode on any doubles.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Is he the one thats usually more wrong than right? I hope not since Genestealer cultists would own.

He did post about a brand new 30k plastic starter box the other day though.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Why don't they just say "Fleshbane (Daemon) and Armourbane (Daemon) instead of creating an additional rule for the same thing?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

It's probably a future USR, there have been a few things like that popping up in the past couple books.

Yes but not because

AbusePuppy posted:

I like how hard they're pretending that rule will ever be used for any other model anywhere in the game ever again. It's not actually a bad rule overall, even if it's amazingly poorly worded, but Rex has had that for like a decade now and there's never been anything else with it; I don't imagine that will change anytime soon.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Then why isn't fleshbane just poison 2+? Going to take a guess and say that some things have different effects to fleshbane or poison so they add something to get around it, war construct comes to mind.
Although that is all of what, 2 models?

E: i play Tyranids and I'm ashamed I forgot about the rerolls.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 17, 2015

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Poison lets you re-roll to wound if your Strength is higher than the target's Toughness.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So after looking at the possibilities, an Eldar CAD might benefit greatly from the Solitaire/Death Jester/Shadowseer formation.

The SS, equipped with the -2 LD item and infiltrating means it'll be in range for a fairly devastating turn 1 Psychic Shriek and/or an additional -1 from Terrify. Because of the formation special rules, the SS will likely have a 2+ cover save.

The DJ's Shrieker Cannon using the Shuriken line (S6 AP5 Assault 3, Bladestorm) will likely cause at least one wound to a unit, which results in a -2 LD and an immediate test in which the DJ determines the fall back direction.... at 24" there's a good chance the targeted unit will also be under the SS -2 bubble and will test at -4 or -5 (Terrify)

The Solitaire, can move 12" will benefit from a likely 2+ cover save and 3+ invuln and may charge any unit the DJ forces a break on.

Combining those three could destroy a squad each turn for ~300 points investment. They're also surprisingly durable with the Infiltrate/Shrouded/Stealth.

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 17, 2015

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

serious gaylord posted:

Is he the one thats usually more wrong than right? I hope not since Genestealer cultists would own.

When I read the full description it didn't sound quite so insane, since it was posited as a 30k/HH standalone game that happened to have plastic models that could be used in 30k. I'm still extremely skeptical, but not like it's something that's never been done.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Played a friendly 1500 point game against some new Necrons.

Not to get to crazy with point values, but I had 3 Pods, one carrying Calgar, Honor Guard, and Librarian(I was trying for endurance), one tactical squad, and a minimum strength sternguard with some combi-meltas. The rest of my force were some medium strength tacticals with razorback back-up, and finally a minimum strength devastator squad.

My enemy brought 2x Crpyteks with warriors(one via reserves with a nightscythe), deathmarks, monolith, wraiths, ghost ark, and annihilation barge.

I will say this game really went my way from the beginning. I seized the initiative and my lascannons exploded the annihilation barge, along with Calgar's boys and a tactical squad providing enough rapid fire power to destroy all of the wraiths. Using double tactical doctrine really just allowed me to devastate some of his deadliest units from the onset. His return fire put the hurt on the tactical squad, but overall I gave way harder than I received. Second turn the sternguard arrive and destroy the ghost ark, and while his deathmarks show up to do some damage they receive combined fire from the devastators, tacticals, and razorbacks.

We were playing kill points, which I handily won. I can see how things could of easily gone his way. Reanimation protocols providing a FnP special rule to an entire army of toughness 4 models is crazy. His crypteks used the solar flare and teleport abilities to great annoyance. In fact, with how the game started I thought I would table him, but my ignorance of Necron special rules led to me chasing after a Cryptek/Warrior squad only for it to teleport back to the monolith, which I really lacked effective firepower to kill. I only own 2 lascannons atm =(

I guess my main take away was, bring more sternguard, and Lascannons. They have always pulled their weight for me.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
E: Nevermind.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 18, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

I honestly think Hastings actually is an uncle who works at NintendoGames Workshop. He's been consistently accurate for about a decade.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 18, 2015

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hencoe posted:

Then why isn't fleshbane just poison 2+? Going to take a guess and say that some things have different effects to fleshbane or poison so they add something to get around it, war construct comes to mind.

The other relevant distinction between the two, even if it's not all that huge, is that Fleshbane works on Gargantuan Creatures whereas Poison does not (it only wounds on 6s.)

More generally speaking I would agree, though- Fleshbane and Poison seem like a needless overlap of rules. Sniper also tends to fall into the same category.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

What's this you ask? Nothing much but a very well known modeller , GMMstudios or Grey Matter Musings building a version of the Golden Throne with a life sized Mannequin as the base. It's going to be at Adepticon.

Here's his website, artist is Brandon Palmer.

http://www.gmmstudios.net/

Here's the Dakka build thread

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/635808.page#7594312

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 18, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Vondizimo posted:

My recent hobby work has consisted of:

1x Finecast Thunderfire
1x Forge World MKIVsquad
1x Plastic tactical squad.

The thunderfire and the MKIV marines were lovely to work with, the plastic was a total pain in the rear end in comparison. Felt like I was working with stuff sculpted out of wax. Infuriating.

I do not understand the hate on finecast now. It was terrible when it was first introduced, but now it seems pretty cool.

The older tactical squads were a little bit of a pain in the arse, but I was really impressed with the recut one that got released with the new codex. Agreed on the Mk IV marines, though. I have done 20 of them over the past few months to bulk up my World Eaters... and I plan to do a shitload more because that much blue and white would look amazing.

E: I'd be totally fine with a plastic 30k power armour box, because FW ain't a cheap way to build a legion.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 18, 2015

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I haven't seen the new box, how did they recut the sprues? I thought the old ones weren't bad really.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

panascope posted:

I haven't seen the new box, how did they recut the sprues? I thought the old ones weren't bad really.

They had to add a bunch of new bits, including the grav guns, combi weapons and a bunch of other options. There were some new hands/arms added too. Basically, the new kit is just a lot cleaner than the old one in terms of flash and has some deeper and better defined detail lines on the armour.

I mean the old tac squad boxes are far from the hardest kits out there, they just had a lot of mold lines.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really hope these rumours of Genestealer Cult are true. Everything I've seen of the Harlequin release leaves me pretty satisfied.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

This is the most amount of detail I've ever put into something that will probably never be seen by anyone.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I kicked myself for not buying a Jesus statuette from a thrift store and turning him into the cyber messiah. I came back to that same place a day later and it was gone. :(

Found the pic of the guy shutting down the White Scars player with a line of Kroot:

:smug:

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Drake_263 posted:

Just got my IA2 Second Edition and sIcaran today. Love the print quality of the book, but it's nice to see the usual FW quality at work - the Fire Raptor is missing its upgrade options and costs and the Sicaran is AV13 all over. (There's a FAQ, I know).

Also, the Sicaran was surprisingly easy to put together - no air bubbles or warping in that particular set, save for one of the barrels being slightly bent.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/i/IA2faq.pdf

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Drake_263 posted:

(There's a FAQ, I know).

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Missed that... so sorry.

Still a great freakin book.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 18, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You all know that picture is staged and fake right? Like that legitimately didn't happen.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It's a staged photo but it did happen. They played a for fun game afterwards to kill time before the next game.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
It's been a bit, but there was something about the Blood Angels codex I wanted to talk about: No build-your-own Chapter Master. I'm not complaining here, we still get Dante and Gabriel Seth (And Malakim Phoros), it just came as a bit of a surprise. I know the Dark Angels and Space Wolves don't have that option either, but they don't have Successor Chapters. Well, Dark Angels say they have Successor Chapters, but they act like a legion anyway. On the other hand, Blood Angels have successor chapters popular enough that they have 3 unique Chapter Masters. Between this and the move of Chapter Masters to the Lord of War slot, do you think the Codex Space Marines might lose the generic Chapter Master?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hey remember that time Hollismason toxx'd himself

• Locked thread