Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Also how are you getting hosed on exchange rates, doesn't the ATM give you the option of using

A) lovely atm owner rate
B) the default Visa/MC rate, which is usually decent

E: Or alternatively change bank because apparently yours sucks

Negligent fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Luffles posted:

I'll be looking for an apt in bangkok tomorrow, any suggestions? I have a few locals showing me around but everyone knows goonvice is the best advice.

If you live beyond On Nut, rent drops, but the BTS costs an exchange 10baht for the privilege of traveling through On Nut station.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hello, SE Asia Thread! I'm going over to Thailand and Vietnam for my job next month, however I'm going to be done with work on Friday and starting again on Monday (apparently people over there don't work on weekends, go figure...).

Flights are already set up, I'm flying from Bangkok to Hanoi in the late afternoon of Saturday, so I've got a whole day (Sunday) to kill in Hanoi and maybe half of Saturday in Bangkok, depending on whether my office can set up some meetings that day or not. Any suggestion on what to do? :)

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Mikl posted:

Hello, SE Asia Thread! I'm going over to Thailand and Vietnam for my job next month, however I'm going to be done with work on Friday and starting again on Monday (apparently people over there don't work on weekends, go figure...).

Flights are already set up, I'm flying from Bangkok to Hanoi in the late afternoon of Saturday, so I've got a whole day (Sunday) to kill in Hanoi and maybe half of Saturday in Bangkok, depending on whether my office can set up some meetings that day or not. Any suggestion on what to do? :)

I really liked Note Cafe in Hanoi. Order your coffee downstairs, but head up to the air-conditioned lounge, leave a note behind, and spend some time reading all the notes left by prior patrons in all languages. It'll also give you some handy practice crossing heavy traffic as a pedestrian in Vietnam. (The trick is to just walk, do not jump, do not freeze, do not run; be Neo in the Matrix. Be Zen. Be untouchable. Pretend you're a ghost. Whatever gets you through .)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QBe43tyVM

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Mikl posted:

Any suggestion on what to do? :)

Buy sandals and skip your return flight.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Negligent posted:

Also how are you getting hosed on exchange rates, doesn't the ATM give you the option of using

A) lovely atm owner rate
B) the default Visa/MC rate, which is usually decent

E: Or alternatively change bank because apparently yours sucks

I've never seen an option besides A. And this is apparently only option at all the banks I've talked to.

Thing is, I hate not being able to make the most informed decision possible. Accepted that I have all the knowledge I can at the moment though.

In Bangkok till Sunday afternoon. I'm staying out in the suburbs with friends right now. How would I go about finding a shadow puppet show or a muay thai bout? Just google and trust that?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
For boxing just go to Lumpinee Stadium any evening: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293916-d557923-Reviews-Lumpinee_Boxing_Stadium-Bangkok.html. It's dual pricing but whatever, it's the premier venue for that worldwide (except big money matches usually happen in Japan).

The shadow puppet thing is dead as far as I'm aware. They might have shows like that at that Joe Lewis puppet theater located on the edge of Lumpinee Park but I don't know. I asked some Thai people about it one time and they said they hadn't seen one on offer anywhere since a temple fair when they were small.

raton fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 12, 2015

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame

Negligent posted:

For finding housing in bkk last month:

thanks. I got delayed by SriLankan airlines and put in a hotel but this will come in handy when I actually arrive.

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
I'm leaving for Vietnam next weekend, 3-week trip. Nothing planned besides our flights (enter hanoi, exit ho chi minh). I've visited thailand 2 years ago and the most fun we had was staying in Chiang Mai for five days, rent a scooter and just explore the countryside all around Chiang Mai (up to Doi Inathon, Sam Kaephang, Mae Sa-Samoeng loop, ...). Will I be able to do something like that in Vietnam? I have no international drivers license, only a european, and I've heard some stories about vietnam traffic...

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Valiant Pudding posted:

I'm leaving for Vietnam next weekend, 3-week trip. Nothing planned besides our flights (enter hanoi, exit ho chi minh). I've visited thailand 2 years ago and the most fun we had was staying in Chiang Mai for five days, rent a scooter and just explore the countryside all around Chiang Mai (up to Doi Inathon, Sam Kaephang, Mae Sa-Samoeng loop, ...). Will I be able to do something like that in Vietnam? I have no international drivers license, only a european, and I've heard some stories about vietnam traffic...

Having been to Vietnam a little under 2 weeks ago and being reasonably confident driving a moto in Cambodia outside PP I would be at least be very careful in Vietnam. My experience is pretty limited but the vietnamese seem to be kind of homicidal when it comes to driving.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I believe the operative phrase is "armed with a belief in reincarnation and little else..."

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Oh come on, like it's any better in Thailand or Cambodia.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I've driven in Bangkok traffic and while not pleasant its not too bad. I come from a country that already drives on that side of the road though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

Oh come on, like it's any better in Thailand or Cambodia.
It's a regional thing, though I've never met anyone who disagrees with the notion that - as in most affairs - the Vietnamese tend to take things up a notch in intensity (Thai people usually remark on the number, and behavior of motos in Vietnam).

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Vietnamese driving is very zen. I found the drivers there to be way less assholish about driving than Malaysians. Just take your time and you'll be okay.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

After checking out 8 apartments, I've made a few thailand discoveries.

High speed internet means between 5-10 mbps shared among tenants. "Fiber optic" is code for 15 mbps shared.

Google maps and compare the ads location to bts because "near bts" is code for "you can take a motorcycle taxi to bts"

You can spend 5k baht/month and get a pretty nice place as long as you don't mind being like 20-30 minutes away from everything.

I'm going to give in and spend the 15k-20k baht to get a nice place with 'good' internet just so I don't keep spending nights in lovely hotels with shittier free 'wifi'.

I splurged on a true sim for like, 700 baht for 3 GB of data and access to the true wifi. I get free 2g internationally with t-mobile which is cool but it's so loving slow the $25 or whatever to be able to make local calls and texts was definitely worth it.

I'm in love with street food here and siam paragon is amazing.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, internet and living arrangements here are a fraught topic because of all the bullshit. When it comes to the internet, old sperglords love to sit around posting their "speed tests" (lol) but these are highly irrelevant to international internet life, so I tell people to just go and try to stream video or perform syncs or something that you normally need to do and see what happens over a range of time. As always, you're best off with your own dedicated connection and any shared connection is going to gently caress you royally somehow at some point unless you're very lucky.

On living arrangements, if you're willing to live a bit of a hike from the BTS then you can basically get down to sub-3,000. Problem is that the amenities, as you have concluded, won't be what you want. Given that I classify reliable, high speed shared internet access alongside the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus I'm ignoring that part, but you should be able to get accommodations that are baseline acceptable for 7,500+ in the right areas. I'm in Ari and a very nice place just went up for rent here for 9,000 a month - and this is considered an up and coming, hiso part of town (I don't care for it, but it's where I live). If you want to jump over to the MRT in particular you can get quite low and still serviceable.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The thing with Internet is to go to True as soon as possible and get yourself a dedicated router the first chance you get. You might have to have a work permit to do this, I can't remember.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

oh yeah bois. posting from my new bkk apartment on the sixth floor with a view of dilapidated tenements.

EIGHT WHOLE MEGABEANS of DEDICATED INTERNETS

a FRIDGE that costs 300 baht a month and comes with a 1,200 baht deposit

all in, 11k for rent and 500 for internets and 300 for fridgerent.

ten minutes walk from siam paragon, which is pretty killer tbh.

i was about to lose my poo poo about internet speeds and the testing thereof before i realized i forgot to shut my vpn off

Luffles fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 17, 2015

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

they wanted 1,400 for sheets and pillows per month and i asked how amazing they were and she smiled and shook her head like she didn't understand me or the cameras watching for her to upsell me were on

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Luffles posted:

oh yeah bois. posting from my new bkk apartment on the sixth floor with a view of dilapidated tenements.

EIGHT WHOLE MEGABEANS of DEDICATED INTERNETS

a FRIDGE that costs 300 baht a month and comes with a 1,200 baht deposit

all in, 11k for rent and 500 for internets and 300 for fridgerent.

ten minutes walk from siam paragon, which is pretty killer tbh.

i was about to lose my poo poo about internet speeds and the testing thereof before i realized i forgot to shut my vpn off

not bad

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

They are probably loving you on the utilities as well, if it's not included in the rent.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Still, ten minutes from Paragon for ~11k isn't too bad.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Negligent posted:

They are probably loving you on the utilities as well, if it's not included in the rent.
Yeah, this is a common thing. Negligent is right. I forget what the government electric rate is, but it used to be around 7 - and then slumlords and people who owned foreigner-rented places would charge like 12, heh. There is some argument to be made for charging a fraction more to deal with the fact that you have tenants who are difficult to recover lost expenses from, but not, you know, 71% more.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Leaving Thailand in less than a month now... I will miss it here greatly. That's what I said 5 years ago when I left the first time too.

Surat's a pretty nice little town. I definitely could've lived in worse places the past two years. There's a Central Plaza now... with a McDonald's and Starbucks.

I posted in the China thread, and caberham kindly responded, but I figured I'll post here as well. I'm thinking of going to Hong Kong for a few days next month to see if I can find a job. I've heard that it'll be much easier to find a job in person. Does anyone know a good place to start? Maybe a good location to be in? I only ask because there seems to be a little cross-pollination with the China thread occasionally. I'll check out Hong Kong jobsdb like caberham suggested.

So if anyone passes through Surat in the next 3 weeks, I'll be happy to meet up. Otherwise, I'll be in Bangkok some time after that.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Well, trip report from Sukhumvit: The new supposed ban on alcohol advertising I read about hasn't changed a single thing. I asked some people about it, and they didn't understand what on earth I was saying. Good people watching on Soi 4 as usual, prices estimated 10% up from last year. 50 Baht extra fee on top of meter price for taxis from the airport. Taxi drivers seemed much more keen to use meter in general than on my last trip, though.

I also went to Phnom Penh for the first time, which I found really nice. It looks like a primitive hole in the ground when you appear, and my agoda-booked hotel was a construction site when I arrived; at first I thought a bomb had gone off... the taxi driver spoke to some guy there, then took me to a nearby hotel with the same owner. It was kinda crappy (Queen Wood Hotel), but had the basics, so I survived. PP is really nice to walk around in I think, and there are so many areas to eat, drink and enjoy nightlife. It is also by far the easiest city to navigate by foot due to the street numbering system. I love how 99% of restaurants and bars have outdoors tables. Friendly people, English as good (meaning bad, but passable) as Thais, and I didn't get scammed nor robbed even though I as usual walk around at night drunk alone with lots of money in my pocket. I guess the only time I felt in a biiiiit in a shady situation was when the tuk tuk driver drove through a day market, where it was almost completely dark, and I could see stall owners sleeping and fussing around in their stalls - I guess they live there or stay in order to ensure their goods don't get stolen?

Weird downer: Heart of Darkness in PP is apparently now a gay disco - it was like 80% cambodian gay men, 10% westerners, and 10% Khmer hoes. Pontoon disco across was "normal", and pumpin'.

I then went to Saigon in Vietnam. Great city to walk around in during the day, pretty and plenty of things to look at, many places to eat, but boring alone during the night. Probably a nice place with friends. Lack of outside serving culture was a bummer though, I hate sitting inside when I'm on vacation over there except for when I feel I just gotta have some aircon. I found the viets abysmal at English, and thoroughly uninterested in other people than their own. Prettiest women I've ever seen, but what good is it. Laughed at the girls driving around on scooters dressed as if it were winter.

Finished in Phili where I met my friend.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Pilsner posted:

I then went to Saigon in Vietnam. Great city to walk around in during the day, pretty and plenty of things to look at, many places to eat, but boring alone during the night.

I... I can't... What? How? In which area were you?! There are bars and restaurants open all night everywhere in District 1!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Senso posted:

I... I can't... What? How? In which area were you?! There are bars and restaurants open all night everywhere in District 1!
I was on Thai Van Lung street, and walking around nearby it just seems like you have to hunt quite a bit to find some places, unlike other cities that have concentrated fun, so to speak. Isn't there a policy of closing early in general? The city seemed rather dead after midnight, but I'm sure you just have to know the right places, and they aren't as outdoorsy.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Pilsner posted:

I was on Thai Van Lung street, and walking around nearby it just seems like you have to hunt quite a bit to find some places, unlike other cities that have concentrated fun, so to speak. Isn't there a policy of closing early in general? The city seemed rather dead after midnight, but I'm sure you just have to know the right places, and they aren't as outdoorsy.

You were like 2 minutes walk from Apocalypse Now, which can be fun. But yeah, the area that never sleeps is Bui Vien/De Tham/Pham Ngu Lao - a not-too-short walk from Thai Van Lung. But that's where people drink on the sidewalk, you've got a few clubs and bars that close at 5-6am, etc. You can eat and drink all night long, that's where it's at. You'll know for next time! :)

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Pilsner posted:

Weird downer: Heart of Darkness in PP is apparently now a gay disco - it was like 80% cambodian gay men, 10% westerners, and 10% Khmer hoes. Pontoon disco across was "normal", and pumpin'.

How times change, those ratios were basically reversed when I was last in there like 3 years ago. Pontoon seems to be the only club here that does consistently well (although it's nowhere near as fun as it used to be IMO). Most other places seem to become super popular for about a year, then die a death when somewhere new opens up.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
That's how nightclubs work everywhere dawg.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Pilsner posted:

Had a similar experience 3 weeks ago and ended up slumming it at the backpackers bars. I actually ended up liking Hanoi significantly more.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Well it looks like fire season came and left early in my district, just north of Thap Lan National Park. I was lucky even to see it, everyone expected the burn months after I'm scheduled to leave. And now two big storms have come and greened up the bamboo grass, likely meaning the end of wildfires this year. I'm sorry I'm leaving before the charred areas sprout. My friends and I got some good pictures though!

Although hunting is illegal here, you could hear gunshots echoing from all directions when this photo was taken. The fires are often set by local villagers to clear away bad spirits, the fact that barking deer and serow are also driven from cover is just a bonus.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Heading to Myanmar very soon for a few weeks. What should I check out?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hope you guys had fun in BKK. I flew Malaysian airlines and survived.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Heading to Myanmar very soon for a few weeks. What should I check out?

Uh... besides making sure your visa is set up in advance?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
It took less than one day for the Visa to come through online at: evisa.moip.gov.mm/NewApplication.aspx

So that's all good. Anything else I should know about or definitely visit?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Squalid posted:

Well it looks like fire season came and left early in my district, just north of Thap Lan National Park. I was lucky even to see it, everyone expected the burn months after I'm scheduled to leave. And now two big storms have come and greened up the bamboo grass, likely meaning the end of wildfires this year. I'm sorry I'm leaving before the charred areas sprout. My friends and I got some good pictures though!

Although hunting is illegal here, you could hear gunshots echoing from all directions when this photo was taken. The fires are often set by local villagers to clear away bad spirits, the fact that barking deer and serow are also driven from cover is just a bonus.
The main reason you hear so many shots going off during burning season is that the farmers set a shitload of rudimentary shotgun traps in the woods that are triggered by tripwires. When the tripwires burn, BOOM. We've heard the same thing in places like Khao Keaw when they do the annual burning too. It's quite something to hear for sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I did the normal Yangon(+Twante)-Inle Lake-Mandalay-Bagan loop, plus Pyin U Lwin and Hsipaw.

Ride the circle train around Yangon. It's really slow and rocks back and forth, and people will sell you betel nut.

Take the train between Pyin U Lwin and Hsipaw, there is a 115-year-old bridge (Gokteik viaduct) that is quite impressive given the general state of infrastructure in the country.

Bicycle and hike around the countryside whenever possible. Hsipaw and Pyin U Lwin have some nice waterfalls, and the weather is more bearable there since you're up in the hills.

Burma photos