Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Have they ever followed the TARDIS during dematerialisation on the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MikeJF posted:

Have they ever followed the TARDIS during dematerialisation on the show?

No, the closest I can think of is Jack clinging to the TARDIS in Utopia.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
That VFX shot is just so slow. And the landing, why the dull thump, why not fade the rapidly-rotating forest in so we gradually get to perceive it as it slows down?

Neat vortex effects, though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

After The War posted:

That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

EDIT - Despite how it looks, Peter Davison isn't necessarily the thread's favorite Doctor, he just makes for good avatars.

Also someone stopped buying me BRCTs

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Also someone stopped buying me BRCTs

This is why I'm still Tom Baker. Nobody is angry with me anymore.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yeah but my one's now like 3 years old

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

After The War posted:

Seriously, though, let us know how you like your Doctor Who and we will lovingly craft you a playlist. If you're considering listening like me and Bicyclops (everything*, in release date order), please hang up and and dial 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.

* Within reason. I'm not touching Bernice Summerfield or Iris Wildthyme outside of the main range.

I am currently rewatching all extant TV episodes of Doctor Who, starting with the pilot. Just finished Pyramids of Mars. (Started about a year ago. It's a long-term project.) Soooo, yeah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

idonotlikepeas posted:

I am currently rewatching all extant TV episodes of Doctor Who

Not enough of a man to watch the reconstructions, eh? :clint:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Not enough of a man to watch the reconstructions, eh? :clint:

The reconstructions bore more. I just listen to the soundtracks instead.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

idonotlikepeas posted:

I am currently rewatching all extant TV episodes of Doctor Who, starting with the pilot. Just finished Pyramids of Mars. (Started about a year ago. It's a long-term project.) Soooo, yeah.

I did that, and then went back and watched the repros. Make sure you have some alcohol on hand for the Pip and Jane Baker stories.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Davros1 posted:

The reconstructions bore more. I just listen to the soundtracks instead.

The narrated soundtracks are an infinitely better experience than recons.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I actually really like the recons, as long as you can find one with good animation or transitions through the stills well. The narration makes it feel like its the wrong medium to me, but I think it's just a matter of taste.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm telling you people, puppet show based reconstructions would be the way to go.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm telling you people, puppet show based reconstructions would be the way to go.

All we need is this, but with Hartnell and Troughton puppets.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 18, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I did that, and then went back and watched the repros. Make sure you have some alcohol on hand for the Pip and Jane Baker stories.

A few years back I watched them all in order over the period of roughly 9 months or so - it's amazing how the 60s stuff holds up better than the 80s stuff.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Season 9 has to step up. Another show tonight had a pissed off telepathic gorilla.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

A few years back I watched them all in order over the period of roughly 9 months or so - it's amazing how the 60s stuff holds up better than the 80s stuff.

I think it took me about 9 months to get through them all too. It's really a shame the bad shake Colin got, because he seems to take a lot of delight in the sort of humor that was present during most of Tom's era. I'm really glad that Big Finish is doing a regeneration story for him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Season 9 has to step up. Another show tonight had a pissed off telepathic gorilla.

Oh poo poo I gotta catch up on that :neckbeard:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

Is Flash (and Arrow) actually good? Please tell me it's actually good I need good live action super hero stuff on tv I need this please don't lie to me please God I hate Smallville SO MUCH

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Burkion posted:

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

Is Flash (and Arrow) actually good? Please tell me it's actually good I need good live action super hero stuff on tv I need this please don't lie to me please God I hate Smallville SO MUCH

The shows are great, go ahead and watch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

They're both really ridiculous but a lot of fun. Flash is more joyfully embracing of its ridiculous roots, while Arrow tries to be a little more grim about things which can get a little trying at times, especially with the way they try to keep certain characters involved with the main cast when it makes zero sense to do so.

Don't get me wrong, they're hardly great writing but for the most part they're very aware of how silly the source material is and tries to have some fun with it (Flash especially).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really happy to hear that actually. I got into Smallville hoping that it would embrace the fact that it was a Superman series and then it just didn't. For ten years.

Had lots of bullshit happen, but in the worst ways possible.

So when Arrow came on, I was very skeptical. Flash put a big dent in me wanting to watch it though because he had an actual honest to God super hero outfit on and not a glorified hoodie.

And now the Grodd revelations...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Arrow's doing Batman Begins but scaled down for TV, which is pretty fitting for the character since he started as "Batman, but with a bow". It's building up to the big comic book stuff, rather than starting with it from scratch.

Also Stephen Amell cares a lot about the show, which is a big change from Tom Wellings.

E: If you tolerate Who's failings and you're interested in Flash and Arrow then you should absolutely give them a look.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 18, 2015

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
New 52 really soured me on DC poo poo, but oh my dear sweet baby jesus if Gorilla Grodd exists on a live-action network tv show :swoon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I finally got around to an audio I've been anticipating for some time, Trial of the Valeyard.

It's a tough concept to tackle: how do you address The Valeyard? (The Brickyard? The Backyard? The Knackers Yard? Any Other Kind of Yard?) As a concept he's pretty divisive. Some fans are all for bringing him back, some got sick of people bringing him up as we approached the 13th Doctor that they were hoping he'd be ignored, silently decanonized like the Morbius regenerations or "Half human on my mother's side."

Moffat, not being one to let things go and always eager to piss people off, did the following:

1) Gave us an extra Doctor

2) Informed us that 10 counted 2x, therefore making Smith Number 13

3) Regenerated Smith into Capaldi without turning him into the Valeyard

4) Still namedropped The Valeyard, thus leaving him in play and in canon

Of course, the Money Shot for true Who nerds is having the Doctor turn into the Valeyard. A Dark Doctor, in his last life, with all the memories of all the other Doctors, a man who IS the Doctor. But evil. In my now decanonized head canon, I pictured the 12 Doctor getting ready to regenerate, kicking his companions out of the TARDIS, knowing what was coming, and then...MUAHAHAHAHA

However, Trial of the Valeyard is in a pickle: how can it give us the Money Shot, knowing that Smith got a new cycle and became Peter Capaldi, who while a bit rude, is no Valeyard. Not to mention with a whole new cycle and at least The Curator in his future, he has a lot less need to break the laws of time and steal regenerations from his earlier self. And of course due to LEGAL REASONS, BF can barely even allude to events on the new show (to the point that when the Valeyard was tantalizingly describing the 6th Doctor's future regenerations in this audio, he was interrupted before he could get to War or 9 :jerkbag: )

What they do manage here is to come up with an alternative theory, which to my mind is a lot less satisfying, of The Valeyard instead NOT being a true future Doctor with all his memories, but a clone. This is then of course revealed to be (probably) a big ol' lie told by The Valeyard. We also get a glimpse of an also revealed to be fake "13th Doctor" who is mad as a hatter, old, and if you squint your ears, sounds like a higher pitched cross of Hartnell and Smith at his most manic. The end sets up a possible future continuation of the story.

So if you're coming here for some sort of definitive answers on the Valeyard (unlike the other "definitive" answers we've gotten in novels and whatnot before), you're out of luck. However, if you're here for an hour of a sequel to the best parts of Trial of a Timelord with Michael Jayston, Lynda Bellingham, and Colin chewing the gently caress out of the scenery, you're in for a treat because it delivers in spades. Jayston sounds a bit older, as does Lynda, and sadly she won't be back due to her untimely death, but they still bring it as if it was 1986. Colin is in rare form, the indignant Trial Doctor back on the scene.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Timey Wimey. The Valeyard was a possible future. At some point the Doctor's present diverged from the Valeyard's past, without causing a universe ending paradox. The Doctor remembers the Valeyard, but will never become him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always remembered the Valeyard as being a personification of the Doctor's negative aspects that he deliberately shunted off from himself inbetween regenerations. That's why the Valeyard was living a half-life, and why he wanted to steal the Doctor's future regenerations to give him an actual life/identity of his own.

It's been awhile since I watched Trial, but I'm pretty sure they outright say this, and people tended to just simplify things into the erroneous "He's a future regeneration of the Doctor" idea?

Edit: Yep, here we go:

The Master posted:

There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you. The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If I had a fiver for every 100 words that was spent back in the day arguing over how "...somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation" jives with the 13-regeneration limit, then a week from today I'd be on my way to my own personal tropical island.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Trin Tragula posted:

If I had a fiver for every 100 words that was spent back in the day arguing over how "...somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation" jives with the 13-regeneration limit, then a week from today I'd be on my way to my own personal tropical island.

If Ten was really Eleven and Eleven regenerated once back into Eleven making that his Twelth life then DildoDoctor is the Valeyard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

I always remembered the Valeyard as being a personification of the Doctor's negative aspects that he deliberately shunted off from himself inbetween regenerations. That's why the Valeyard was living a half-life, and why he wanted to steal the Doctor's future regenerations to give him an actual life/identity of his own.

It's been awhile since I watched Trial, but I'm pretty sure they outright say this, and people tended to just simplify things into the erroneous "He's a future regeneration of the Doctor" idea?

The Master posted:

There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you. The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation.

I really don't see why anyone's getting up in arms over the thirteen-regen limit on the Valeyard anymore. It clearly says between the twelth and final regeneration, which frankly could be any time between now and when the sun actually goes into heat death.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, Dolldoc is totally the Valeyard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

I finally got around to an audio I've been anticipating for some time, Trial of the Valeyard.

The Valeyard talking about the Black Houses on Gallifrey, where they sent Time Lords whose regenerations go wrong, was absolutely horrifying, in the best possible way.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

This is pretty explicitly what Trial is about. (Well, that and the meta-narrative about the program itself being produced on a trial basis, etc.) For whatever reason, be it cut off alternate time like a la Klein, or semi-formed aspect of the Doctor's personality or whatever, his motivation is he ain't all there. That's why he set up the Trial, killed Robert Holmes, suggested Pip & Jane Baker for script editors, etc. It wasn't that the Doctor was on his last life and got grumpy at the concept of mortality - look at the Master of that era, having a blast with no regenerations and a hijacked body. Even then, I doubt anyone was imagining that, should hell freeze over and they get to make one more season let alone see new Doctors appear in future decades, that Doctor 11 (Patrick McGowan) would keel over and wake up as Michael Jayston.

If you need a fan theory, here's one: the Valeyard was the aspect of Ten that drowned babies and casually condemned sentient beings to nightmare worlds beyond time because they annoyed him, shunted off when he became the decidedly-less evil Matt Smith. There, done.

I'll get to Trial of the Valeyard eventually.

EDIT:

Davros1 posted:

The Valeyard talking about the Black Houses on Gallifrey, where they sent Time Lords whose regenerations go wrong, was absolutely horrifying, in the best possible way.

Now I'm excited. This is exactly the kind of thing that Big Finish excels at - specific enough to include in a story, but vague enough that it doesn't become limited and silly. I loved the idea of the Anomaly Vault in Gallifrey.

After The War fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 18, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

After The War posted:

This is pretty explicitly what Trial is about. (Well, that and the meta-narrative about the program itself being produced on a trial basis, etc.) For whatever reason, be it cut off alternate time like a la Klein, or semi-formed aspect of the Doctor's personality or whatever, his motivation is he ain't all there. That's why he set up the Trial, killed Robert Holmes, suggested Pip & Jane Baker for script editors, etc. It wasn't that the Doctor was on his last life and got grumpy at the concept of mortality - look at the Master of that era, having a blast with no regenerations and a hijacked body. Even then, I doubt anyone was imagining that, should hell freeze over and they get to make one more season let alone see new Doctors appear in future decades, that Doctor 11 (Patrick McGowan) would keel over and wake up as Michael Jayston.

If you need a fan theory, here's one: the Valeyard was the aspect of Ten that drowned babies and casually condemned sentient beings to nightmare worlds beyond time because they annoyed him, shunted off when he became the decidedly-less evil Matt Smith. There, done.

I'll get to Trial of the Valeyard eventually.

EDIT:

Now I'm excited. This is exactly the kind of thing that Big Finish excels at - specific enough to include in a story, but vague enough that it doesn't become limited and silly. I loved the idea of the Anomaly Vault in Gallifrey.

The oubliette of infinity was pretty great as well, even with explanation. A device that totally obliterates people from the entirety of history - fortunately they've never had to use it! They've used it loads of times, it's just no one remembers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

The oubliette of infinity was pretty great as well, even with explanation. A device that totally obliterates people from the entirety of history - fortunately they've never had to use it! They've used it loads of times, it's just no one remembers.

Isn't that the same as the De-Mat gun?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

There was an implicaiton in Neverland that sometimes they threw TARDIS's in as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Aren't we due a new thread or something to cope till August? Or at least change the title?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CobiWann posted:

But Doctor, that's impossible!

Just reverse the polarity of the region encoding chip. How is this hard? :rolleyes:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Aren't we due a new thread or something to cope till August? Or at least change the title?

This thread is wearing a bit thin. Wake me when I'm John Hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm waiting for a bit more information to leak out about the upcoming series so I can do an OP worth having.

• Locked thread