Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M. Morgan
May 9, 2012

Catalina posted:

By the way, is it possible on Twitch to view older broadcasts? http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep/profile/past_broadcasts only shows the last two, and I want to show my sister (who works as a Spanish-English translator) Sheep's reaction to the Engrish letter from Chiharu in TMGS1.

I'd also be interested in this, since I usually can't stay up late to watch them live. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
So I voted for Harry, because for some reason or another, he reminds me of Mikorin. In the way that they are both total dorks.
I dunno if it's just me, but that's how I see it. Still gonna love reading this LP no matter which boy the goons choose for.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

alcharagia posted:

We went with Homura who was a terrible member of the council, so clearly the actually good member is the optimal choice. Let's put a stick up our own rear end and be buds with Helmet-kun! :toot:

(Barring that, I guess Harry is okay too.)

i was the biggest nerd who ever nerded in high school and i'm pretty sure i would've shoved that guy into his locker

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Is chuunibyou a real thing or some amplified and distorted look at rear end in a top hat middle-schoolers? Maybe I've been blessed but I don't remember any of the jerks I've ever known thinking they were magicians or some poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I had a friend who would sometimes claim that Naruto was based on his own life.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
New page, so here's a reminder that the poll is still open:

Which boys should Siren hang out with for her first year?

sleepy.eyes posted:

Is chuunibyou a real thing or some amplified and distorted look at rear end in a top hat middle-schoolers? Maybe I've been blessed but I don't remember any of the jerks I've ever known thinking they were magicians or some poo poo.

I still have my D&D notebook from when I was in 8th grade and high school. I may not have thought I was a magician, but holy crap.

Catalina posted:

By the way, is it possible on Twitch to view older broadcasts? http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep/profile/past_broadcasts only shows the last two, and I want to show my sister (who works as a Spanish-English translator) Sheep's reaction to the Engrish letter from Chiharu in TMGS1.

Twitch deletes archives after like 15 days, unless they turn into highlights (which I've been slacking on!). I do have all of my videos archived locally, but I'd have to go digging for that.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 17, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mors Rattus posted:

The ascot's not that weird, it's just kinda rare to see.

Ah, I guess I can't register an Ascot unless it happens to be orange and involved in solving mysteries :downs:

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

sleepy.eyes posted:

Nobody in my school thought we were rock stars, but my classmates decided I was a witch (welcome to the South) and I... may have occasionally gone along with this idea.

I mean c'mon could you resist casting curses at people if they were already making signs of the cross at you when you were ten?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

M. Morgan posted:

I'd also be interested in this, since I usually can't stay up late to watch them live. :(

Same. I want to listen to the voice acting too.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Not middle school, but the aborted D&D/Gaming club at high school's co-founder was a guy who believed magic was real and he could curse people and that werewolves were real. There were the odd Wiccans in middle school though they tend to drop the overt witchiness once they realized magic didn't work like it did in The Craft

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

When I was in elementary school I 60% convinced myself that I was a witch and a mermaid who would awaken when she turned 10.

Also there's this thread.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I have a sister who's only a year-and-a-half younger, which is a built-in playmate to make up stories about characters, dolls, and figures and half pretend that they're real. That lasted longer than I'd care to admit. (Why yes, we did end up buying those Japanese/Korean customizable ball-jointed dolls later on.)

I...try to forget that thread exists.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

sleepy.eyes posted:

I had a friend in high school who was just an inch short of full on Dark Flame Master. Almost got arrested for his shenanigans on at least one occasion.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

There were the odd Wiccans in middle school though they tend to drop the overt witchiness once they realized magic didn't work like it did in The Craft

Magic's all fun and games until you accidentally summon Andras.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there something particularly creepy about Shota's route that isn't evident yet? Because it seems like there's a lot more :gonk: going on than you'd expect from a one-year age gap.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

When I was in elementary school I 60% convinced myself that I was a witch and a mermaid who would awaken when she turned 10.

Also there's this thread.

I just went through like 30 pages of that thread and I have to say that it's one of the most disturbing things I've ever read in my life. :stare:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I just went through like 30 pages of that thread and I have to say that it's one of the most disturbing things I've ever read in my life. :stare:

I'm on page 60, and I just can't help myself. It's a masterpiece of WTF-ery (and my -god-, do I want to give noodles one of the biggest hugs ever, if I ever get to meet her.) I've spent the last 2 hours, clicking in sheer fascination.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SorataYuy posted:

I'm on page 60, and I just can't help myself. It's a masterpiece of WTF-ery (and my -god-, do I want to give noodles one of the biggest hugs ever, if I ever get to meet her.) I've spent the last 2 hours, clicking in sheer fascination.

I'm on page 90. :smithicide:

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

sleepy.eyes posted:

It definitely happens in real life, though usually not to the extent portrayed in some anime. As people have said, it usually manifests in real life as people thinking they're Witches/Wiccans, supernatural creatures in disguise, or having powers like their favorite video game character. I'm pretty sure it springs from the adolescent desire to be :sparkles: unique :sparkles: and stand out from your peers. And then of course there's THAT thread, which is a fascinating maelstrom of insanity.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Awwh yeah, Arisawa is back! :getin:
Best character forever. Even though you don't see her much, gotta vote with my heart!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Jenner posted:

Awwh yeah, Arisawa is back! :getin:
Best character forever. Even though you don't see her much, gotta vote with my heart!

I was wondering about that. I guess she's not a high schooler anymore by now?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The Chuu2 anime actually opened with a pretty good definition of chuunibyou: it's when middle schoolers try to act more mature or special than they really are, for whatever that means. Usually it's drinking coffee black despite hating the taste or reading novels with complicated titles that you don't actually understand. There are of course the people who convince themselves that they have magic powers too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Who doesn't use hand signals when they bike?
everyone but me

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

HellCopter posted:

The Chuu2 anime actually opened with a pretty good definition of chuunibyou: it's when middle schoolers try to act more mature or special than they really are, for whatever that means. Usually it's drinking coffee black despite hating the taste or reading novels with complicated titles that you don't actually understand. There are of course the people who convince themselves that they have magic powers too.

That sounds a lot like what students in the U.S. tend to do once they hit about fifth or sixth grade. Act like they're not into video games any more, pretend they were never into the series/figures/etc that they were so nuts over just a year previous, and how anyone still into any of those things is "so childish and beneath them". So, kind of the polar opposite of Yumi from the first game, then?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

mycot posted:

I was wondering about that. I guess she's not a high schooler anymore by now?

Officially, Tokimemo Girl's Side 2 takes place two years after the end of the first Girl's Side - Motoharu starts the game in his first year of college, and Shiho is a year older than he is.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Is there something particularly creepy about Shota's route that isn't evident yet? Because it seems like there's a lot more :gonk: going on than you'd expect from a one-year age gap.

I don't remember if I ever played all the way through his route, but the gist of his character is that he puts on a sweet charming face to attract lots of girls, when in reality he's a huge douchebag who just likes to manipulate people for giggles. Iirc, he does this to the protagonist when he gets to :) friendliness, and if she keeps hanging around him being a shitbag long enough he probably has some emotional revelation about how it was real with her but he never felt real feelings before!!

In a word, he's a creep who is not worth our time, which isn't drastically different from guys like Saeki or Hazuki from GS1, except he's really blunt and unapologetic about seeing other people as his playthings. (I wouldn't consider this a spoiler since it's just kind of an archetype, but it's your call sheep)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I'm mostly just reading around uglynoodles' posts, but it's still rather out there.

Haven't had this much fun since one of the bigger E/N blowups a couple of years ago.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

I don't remember if I ever played all the way through his route, but the gist of his character is that he puts on a sweet charming face to attract lots of girls, when in reality he's a huge douchebag who just likes to manipulate people for giggles. Iirc, he does this to the protagonist when he gets to :) friendliness, and if she keeps hanging around him being a shitbag long enough he probably has some emotional revelation about how it was real with her but he never felt real feelings before!!

In a word, he's a creep who is not worth our time, which isn't drastically different from guys like Saeki or Hazuki from GS1, except he's really blunt and unapologetic about seeing other people as his playthings. (I wouldn't consider this a spoiler since it's just kind of an archetype, but it's your call sheep)

That sounds a lot less gross than the thread was making it out to be. Unless they're just reacting to his name. :v:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
That thread reminded me that I actually did know someone like that. Chick I went to high school with swore she was a wolf in spirit or something. She howled at the moon, would snarl when you did something she didn't like and did the weird gait when she ran. I guess I blanked it out because it was astoundingly awkward to interact with her.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I knew a kid like that in high school too. He also did the whole howling and barking thing. I asked him one time what was up and he was all "I'm a wolf."
"You mean like your fursona or something? There's another guy here who's a furry, he's in my Role Playing club. He's pretty nice, have you guys met?"
He got angry and didn't really talk much to me from then on. It was awkward enough that I still remember it clearly. :saddowns:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah i knew one chick who literally felt she had an invisible tail and would go OUCH and jump away if you sat next to her sometimes. then she'd get really pissed at you because you sat on her tail. one time she cut a hole out of her belt line for it.

horrific mental disturbances: more common than you think

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Eh, I recently did Shota's route, and he's doesn't turn out to be THAT sociopathic. His character archetype is probably what you would call Haraguro. That is, a character who is kind and friendly on the outside, but actually dark and scheming on the inside. His reveal is more like, in middle school he got lots of positive attention from doing the adorable boy shtick, and now that he's confused because his got that's gotten mixed up with his real, repressed personality. When he gets comfortable around you (at :) affection and up) he shows you both sides of his personality.

The reason I find it creepy is that when you look at the character design and dialogue, Shota's route was very obviously was written to be a "high school girl goes after middle school boy" route, they just hand-waved it by claiming he's a year younger. The name Shota is also to be the least-subtle joke on the fact he's for the the fans who like them young. (It's entirely intentional - there's also "secret" character with a joke name, too: a Hikikomori named Komori.)

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Coolguye posted:

horrific mental disturbances: more common than you think

I went to a high-functioning special ed program, so he wasn't even the most outre guy there

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Who doesn't use hand signals when they bike?
everyone but me

It may be lost on foreigners just how strange wearing a helmet for everyday biking is in Japan. Apart from kids in seats on their moms' bikes, the only people I have seen wearing helmets here in Japan were the Mormon missionaries in the town where I used to live in Saitama.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, I admit I was confused as to how Siren's acting like Model Student was going to school in body armor.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Catalina posted:

Eh, I recently did Shota's route, and he's doesn't turn out to be THAT sociopathic. His character archetype is probably what you would call Haraguro. That is, a character who is kind and friendly on the outside, but actually dark and scheming on the inside. His reveal is more like, in middle school he got lots of positive attention from doing the adorable boy shtick, and now that he's confused because his got that's gotten mixed up with his real, repressed personality. When he gets comfortable around you (at :) affection and up) he shows you both sides of his personality.

Nozaki-kun joke that's not in the anime adaptation: http://imgur.com/a/1oO8m It's the funniest chapter in the whole manga.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Terper posted:

Nozaki-kun joke that's not in the anime adaptation: http://imgur.com/a/1oO8m It's the funniest chapter in the whole manga.

God, I kinda forgot how great Nozaki-kun is

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

Terper posted:

As usual Nozaki-kun hits the nail right on the head, I really need to finish watching the anime and pick up the manga.

Shofra
Dec 19, 2012

Wait, you're not into this sort of thing, are you?

vibratingsheep posted:

Image used to remind you that this game really went overboard with the touching.

Oh Sheep...we haven't even gotten to the skinship during dates. Or the skinship that sometimes occurs after dates...

Putting in my votes for Waka-chan because :science: and reasons, and Saeki because he does the main boy/Shiori route thing way better than Hazuki did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that noone will have an ending as amazing as Serika's. It wasn't easy.

• Locked thread