Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AirRaid posted:

The Rocket car with literally no steerability is actually Vlad's Annihilator. gently caress that thing.

Vlad's car has sucked since the very first game and yet it keeps coming back in every game. I just don't get it. It blows up at the slightest breeze, you can't steer it... the only thing it's good for is accelerating in a straight line which is the least important thing in a Carmageddon game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Back To The Future, the delorean car. I haven't seen the driver yet, so I didn't know if he looked like Marty McFly or The Doc.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

IUG posted:

I don't think they were even built for that. I went head-on with that BttF looking car in the first level (I'm still not making any money to get off this map), and I explode, he drives on like he hit a speed bump. I'm spending all my money on me being wasted by backing up into a building, and it takes me 5 minutes to destroy Val.

If you mean the Delorean, it's worth noting that unlike the older games, vehicle weapons actually matter. Since it has a row of spikes on the front of the car, it's a bad idea to go head to head with it because you'll come off a lot worse. Take him out from the sides or the back where he's completely defenseless, and he's a pushover.

Other things worth noting is that Val Hella's boudicca spikes will severely damage tyres and wheels, and the blades on Kutter, Eagle/Hawk and other vehicles will slice up pedestrians on contact.

I think everyone should try doing at least one event in the Anhiliator as a rite of passage. It's the most frustrating experience ever :v:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

the only thing it's good for is accelerating in a straight line which is the least important thing in a Carmageddon game

I dunno, Carmageddon's always been about loving around. I have a vivid memory in the first game of combining it with the Hotrod and Jupiter gravity powerup, and managing to get up to 800mph on a long straight before absolutely cunting myself.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

IUG posted:

Back To The Future, the delorean car. I haven't seen the driver yet, so I didn't know if he looked like Marty McFly or The Doc.

I think that guy is actually one of big kickstarter backers, and doesn't look like Marty McFly or The Doc.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

AirRaid posted:

Know what car has hilarious handling? Siamese Dream. I was all ready to strap into this loving rocket car with no steerability whatsoever and make an intimate acquaintance with whatever was in a direct straight line from the starting line, but actually it also has poo poo all for grip and you can just use the power to steer it in hilarious huge drifts which is totally awesome. And it goes like poo poo off a shovel to boot. Way more controllable than I envisaged.

The Rocket car with literally no steerability is actually Vlad's Annihilator. gently caress that thing.
The thing to realize about Siamese Dream is that because of how it accelerates and is set up, if you punch the gas without putting in any steering input it will automatically and dramatically stabilize itself and go exactly strait in the direction you hit the gas. This means that you can charge a turn at a million miles an hour, brake sloppily through the turn itself and veer all over the place, then let off the stick and floor it and he will happily lock in and go shooting off, strait and true. He will also automatically stabilize after hitting most peds and small stuff so its actually better to touch nothing since he is really easy to over steer in. Complete crap on any maps other than the two cities and the chem plant, but hilarious fun on those three.

David Pratt posted:

I dunno, Carmageddon's always been about loving around. I have a vivid memory in the first game of combining it with the Hotrod and Jupiter gravity powerup, and managing to get up to 800mph on a long straight before absolutely cunting myself.

Everyone needs to take either Vlad or the Siamese Dream and do the Bleak City Financial District classic carma map that unlocks at level 10 or so. The course consists of four long straightaways and you can approach the top speed of Vlad or the Dream. Buy jupiter gravity, mega turbo, and wall climber is you want complete insanity. Do it in reverse with one of the solid granite car powerups you can get off the top of the L-Train in the area and turn the other cars into a fine mist.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Flannelette posted:

How come after 18(?) years slow motion replays is still something they haven't been able to grasp? Unless I'm missing something (no jumping frame by frame is not slowmotion).

Actual 'slow motion' would tend to confuse the physics engine, so most people go with a replay. Same poo poo happens when you 'speed up' some games.

CitrusFrog posted:

Is it just me or are the tyres made of some form of perpetually suppurating KY jelly causing even the slightest weave to turn into a spin?

I keep fishtailing the eagle around, so I'd suggest that they need some work on handling.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

IUG posted:

I don't think they were even built for that. I went head-on with that BttF looking car in the first level (I'm still not making any money to get off this map), and I explode, he drives on like he hit a speed bump. I'm spending all my money on me being wasted by backing up into a building, and it takes me 5 minutes to destroy Val.

Best tip I can give for money making in Classic Carma maps is: Completely ignore the AI at the start of the race. Go murder some peds and pick up some powerups and collect upgrade tokens and then go back to the AIs once theyre spread out and not bunched up in the same area. Makes it easier to kill them one by one and you'll have a bunch of decent gear to do it with. The AIs will never ever win the race in Classic Carma so you're only limited by your timer, which fills nicely enough from peds and yellow pickups.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo pinball mode is annoying. It completely destroys the already lovely performance and it turns into a slideshow while you rocket away 500 feet in the air. If you hit something, you may as well recover and sit in a corner until it's done.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you don't find pinball mode the greatest thing ever I don't think this game is for you

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

In one of the Magnuchem races there is a pinball mode right next to an invulnerability in an indoor area. I wrecked 3 AIs without touching the controls :v:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
While we've been doing a bit of VladTalk I've tried to put together some footage to convince people to give him a try.

I had to put other footage into it to justify it :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy7uIcZFwKY

Also I think this is the most frustrating pedestrian I've ever come across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9FVR5j_8nA

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I'm not as big of a fan of the levels in the game save one so far. Compared to the previous games the levels in reincarnation just seem bland and empty. The previous games either had completely ridiculous levels like hell in the first game or the theme park level from TDR, where you had either crazy visuals or lots of landscape features like loops to play with. Other levels like the desert from Carma 2 and the Back of Beyond from TDR which had lots of things going on and places to explore to find weird stuff, all spread across huge environments which still managed to not feel empty.

By comparison the current game just feels very bland and lacking in many landmarks, especially ones that give the maps real character. The iceberg and chem plant levels are probably the best, having a good combination of crazy visuals and equally crazy things to drive on. Bleak city and the countryside are definitely the worst offenders though. Plenty of space, but not much going on in it, and pretty bland and realistic features.

As a personal thing, I also wish that we could get some of the armed peds from TDR back as well. I miss them uselessly banging on my car, and how they would hug a wall when you came their way just gave them more personality and made them more a part of the experience than just some random thing I ran over when I needed some more time.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

Nyyen posted:

I'm not as big of a fan of the levels in the game save one so far. Compared to the previous games the levels in reincarnation just seem bland and empty. The previous games either had completely ridiculous levels like hell in the first game or the theme park level from TDR, where you had either crazy visuals or lots of landscape features like loops to play with. Other levels like the desert from Carma 2 and the Back of Beyond from TDR which had lots of things going on and places to explore to find weird stuff, all spread across huge environments which still managed to not feel empty.

By comparison the current game just feels very bland and lacking in many landmarks, especially ones that give the maps real character. The iceberg and chem plant levels are probably the best, having a good combination of crazy visuals and equally crazy things to drive on. Bleak city and the countryside are definitely the worst offenders though. Plenty of space, but not much going on in it, and pretty bland and realistic features.

As a personal thing, I also wish that we could get some of the armed peds from TDR back as well. I miss them uselessly banging on my car, and how they would hug a wall when you came their way just gave them more personality and made them more a part of the experience than just some random thing I ran over when I needed some more time.

Yeh that's something I've definitely felt, I want to play older games because my happiest carmageddon memories are from that like fairground level, or the one from some game that was outdoors and canyon'y.

I also feel like maybe there should be more vibrancy in some places? The grimdark urban stuff from the other games was darky, and the vibrant bits were brighter. Some of the 90's/early 2K charm has been lost somewhere.

Also want to mod the old soundtrack in.

Game seems really solid, hoping the physics/driving feels a bit better when it's more optimised. I think mostly it's the speed that feels a bit less, the control was kinda bad in the old ones. Needs to feel faster.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I found an annoying bug. I had the mutant tail thing and fragile car at the same time and I ended up in a loop where I would wreck myself over and over and then the option to cut the tail off went away and I couldn't get rid of the thing. Also there's no optimization at all.

Any word on if they were going to bring back the driver cams?

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
I pitched in on the kickstarter but only started playing it when they added multiplayer. fwiw the multiplayer performance is much better than single player at this point, so there's no reason not to play the gently caress out of multi.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Speaking of which, whats up with car selection in multiplayer? It seems that the host can select whomever they like, but other players can only start as the car they last selected in career mode, and any attempt to change reverts them back into the Eagle R.

Also, if anybody needs someone for a race, hit me up in the steam group as "The Homosexual Agenda".

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
From my small amount of hosting you can select the cars you want allowed and select between the cars the client have unlocked or the host, either or. If the host is using a car you want to use you should be able to use it afaik.

Its all visible in the host menu so just poke around

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
What else are they planning on doing between now and release? It's been worth my $30, now if only they would make a new Road Rash i could really feel like a kid again.

Erostratus fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 18, 2015

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
How many multiplayer games are available when you look up games? When I do it I get maybe one game an hour, and it mostly just stays empty.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nyyen posted:

How many multiplayer games are available when you look up games? When I do it I get maybe one game an hour, and it mostly just stays empty.

When I was playing earlier there were always 1 or 2 with slots available. If there aren't any you'll get an option to host which you should do. I hosted yesterday when no hosts were available and got 3 people in 15min. ymmv

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

meat CRime posted:

When I was playing earlier there were always 1 or 2 with slots available. If there aren't any you'll get an option to host which you should do. I hosted yesterday when no hosts were available and got 3 people in 15min. ymmv

I hope more people pick up this game because the current player base seems pretty small so far.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nyyen posted:

I hope more people pick up this game because the current player base seems pretty small so far.

Me as well. This is a great game with tons of fun in multi if you don't get retards trying to pretend you're supposed to race smdh.

I really hope they add dedicated server support because a lot of this 'waiting for matches' bullshit would be solved.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Nameless Dread posted:

What else are they planning on doing between now and release? It's been worth my $30, now if only they would make a new Road Rash i could really feel like a kid again.

I think dedicated servers like CRime just said are definitely on the way. They are also adding mod support which will be awesome. They have already ported in the stages and cars from the first game, and there are even some well done custom cars as well, and that's all without any real mod support.

I'm pretty sure we will also get a few more cars like Hammerhead and King Merc as well. A lot more polish and optimization too.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Nyyen posted:

I think dedicated servers like CRime just said are definitely on the way. They are also adding mod support which will be awesome. They have already ported in the stages and cars from the first game, and there are even some well done custom cars as well, and that's all without any real mod support.

I'm pretty sure we will also get a few more cars like Hammerhead and King Merc as well. A lot more polish and optimization too.

I just want the flower plower back

:allears: So dreamy

Nothing else captured that "I'm driving a V-8 powered jellybean" feeling quite right.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Songbearer posted:

I think everyone should try doing at least one event in the Anhiliator as a rite of passage. It's the most frustrating experience ever :v:
I once did an event in the Fraud Broko, the impossibly lovely SUV driven by "OK Stimpson" ("Juicy Jones" in the US version and the mobile ports) in the original game. It has built-in jelly suspension!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 18, 2015

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nameless Dread posted:

You are looking for Road Redemption. (Also early access)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Road Redemption has guns, vertical jump jets and the grappling hook from Just Cause 2. That's fun and all, but it doesn't really resemble Road Rash too much.

I'll just stick with the 3DO version (the best version) of RR :corsair:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've been playing this from time to time since they started the alpha as I baked the kickstarter (I paid 25$ iirc so I could get all the classics too).

My biggest concern and I think it's common, is optimization. They keep updating and patching the game regularly since they started the alpha but holy poo poo, the game never ran smooth even with mid-low settings. My pc runs BF4 on medium nicely and this game isn't anything great graphically. Still a beta and still a lot to improve tho.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Well, I beat all the races, unlocked all the cars. The CU:NT is hilariously bad to drive. I can imagine an MP match with only those would be hilarious.

The Subpressor isnt actually that hard to beat. I had to wreck the drat thing 3 times to unlock it, because the first two times I had already stolen a car that race and you can only unlock one car at once :argh: Strategic use of Opponent Repulsificatior, Slaughter Mortar and Anvil Launcher make it a lot easier. If you can pick off it's wheels with mortars and kinda disable it then it's a doddle.

I think what the game really needs is more locations. There's only 5 maps really, plus a couple of small arenas, and it gets a little samey, even with different routes (who actually follows the routes?)

And obviously lots of optimisation work. The game runs smoothly enough for me to begin with (i5 2500k, GTX970), but does slow down after a while once there's a lot of destruction on the map.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 18, 2015

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I've been playing this from time to time since they started the alpha as I baked the kickstarter (I paid 25$ iirc so I could get all the classics too).

My biggest concern and I think it's common, is optimization. They keep updating and patching the game regularly since they started the alpha but holy poo poo, the game never ran smooth even with mid-low settings. My pc runs BF4 on medium nicely and this game isn't anything great graphically. Still a beta and still a lot to improve tho.

Unfortunately they stated (back when early access launched) that optimization will be one of the last phases in development. I posted some stuff on the official forums, criticizing the state of the game and saying Stainless should've waited and made a build that people can actually play and test, and I basically got shouted down by a million people yelling "don't you understand what pre-alpha is?!". They were happy they could play the game at 15-20 fps on low settings and a low resolution.

I can run the beta on high/max with acceptable framerates, but I do see a lot people complaining about bad performance on relatively powerful rigs. I also played around with settings and toning stuff down had very unnoticable effects. The tropical island map runs a lot better than the bigger ones, so I guess physics and the map size/assets play the biggest role or performance right now. Gained no frames by disabling PP effects or lowering details.

The game's superfun now that it's finally come together, but man was the past year a lovely Early Access experience.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, don't even try to talk about performance on their forums or steam's because a million of retards will shut you that their rigs run the game @ 120fps and everything is lollipop rainbows and sunshine. I know what is an alpha and beta release but saying what is wrong is the whole point of it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
For me it runs fairly well on medium(I got i7-930/6gb ram/2gb GTX 670), but big collisions with multiple cars cause lag spikes and the pinball mode absolutely kills performance to 1 FPS or less, so physics stuff is definitely the thing for my config.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Karrahad posted:

The game's superfun now that it's finally come together, but man was the past year a lovely Early Access experience.
Yeah, while I've tried to be patient and stay positive it was looking pretty rough at points, especially towards the latter half of the year when the updates and communication stopped and we were stuck with that lovely build for months. I'm glad things seem to be back on track now. :unsmith:

Honestly, I probably should have waited until now to post this thread instead of making it immediately after the first the pre-alpha was released. At the time I wanted this to be a place for us old Carmafans to bullshit about the original games while waiting for Reincarnation to come together (hence "Megathread"), but that didn't really happen.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ok, fraps on screen I can say the performance is pretty bad in my pc. 4770K@3.9ghz, 16gb ddr3, amd 290x with a factory OC, and at very high details it moves at 24-30fps. I have 50fps on Dying Light or 60 fps on Evolve at maximum details, mind you. And the comparison of graphics isn't favorable.
I tried to turn off some stuff like AA, motion blur, dof, AO, lowered the quality of particles and reflections to medium and still with all that I only gained 5 fps more.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

AirRaid posted:

Well, I beat all the races, unlocked all the cars. The CU:NT is hilariously bad to drive. I can imagine an MP match with only those would be hilarious.

I hope we get some crazy game modes similar to that a bit down the road. Having a cat and mouse game where all but one person drives a CU:NT and tries to stay alive while being hunted by someone in the plow would be stellar.

On another note, what do you guys think about the cars and balance for multiplayer? At the moment certain cars like Crazor are strait up better than the first 5-6 cars in every way. And while the heavier vehicles can still be out raced by the a starting cars, just getting tapped by an unupgraded plow is enought to destroy the eagle. Againt the AI that doesnt seem so bad but online it tells me that only a few cars wil ever be seen because they will be the only ones to survive.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well, I finished the career mode. Sort of, as I completed the final event (a fantastic Carma 1 throwback) but haven't done all the other ones. I guess that's why I didn't unlock the cop cars yet.

Got the Subpressor, though. :getin: Here's some hot Subpressor on Subpressor action:

Thanks to the powerup instant selector and the fact the Subpressor shows up in several levels, it's a lot easier to get this thing than it was to steal the Suppressor in the original. It only showed up in Blood on the Rooftops (and one of the Splat Pack levels) and that was it, and you didn't have purchasable Solid Granite Cars and repulsificators to help you.

edit: I think the Caddy Fat Cat might be slightly overpowered, as it managed to survive several direct hits from my Subpressor in the last event, including getting sandwiched between me and a wall a few times.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 18, 2015

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Caddy fat cat has an incredibly strong chassis, it takes hits like a loving champ and doesn't explode. Similar to Towmeister and Plow in that respect. Makes Otis an utter oval office in checkpoint or ped game modes.

Crazor is the best car for MP I think by a long shot. It's fast and strong as hell with it, and has pretty stable handling too. I did see one crazy brave bastard bring an annihilator into an MP match. He didn't make it.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'd be happy to play multiplayer or play at all, but it doesn't really run on my system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
They need to do something about money. You can make more in two minutes on Isle Of Plight than fifthteen on the other levels.

• Locked thread