Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It doesnt cure poo poo.

Remulak posted:

Also a great diarrhea cure!

I'd say it does cure poo poo. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Opium doesn't really make the symptoms go away though. They're there but you just stop giving a gently caress.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

Opium doesn't really make the symptoms go away though. They're there but you just stop giving a gently caress.

No, it's an actual cough suppressant, and it does indeed stop diarrhoea. You also stop giving a gently caress, but that doesn't mean it doesn't fix the symptoms.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

C.P.A.N. posted:

Welcome to you're "Doom!"

Welcome to you are doom? And why the quotes? Is this some kind of ironic doom?

Next time send a postcard to Strunk and White, idiot!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm so glad someone caught that. :allears:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DigitalRaven posted:

No, it's an actual cough suppressant, and it does indeed stop diarrhoea. You also stop giving a gently caress, but that doesn't mean it doesn't fix the symptoms.

Oh right which is why we get tcc stories of no making GBS threads for days followed by bowel-tearing shits that'd clog the headworks of a small poop factory.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DigitalRaven posted:

No, it's an actual cough suppressant,

It's also about the only cough suppressant that actually works. All the OTC ones are no better than placebo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Nonsense, an entire bottle of exlax makes an excellent cough suppressant.

You'll be afraid to cough.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

It's also about the only cough suppressant that actually works. All the OTC ones are no better than placebo.

Theobromine works, but you can just eat dark chocolate rather than going to a pharmacy.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

They really are not better than jolly ranchers. You could probably get the same effect out of a menthol cigarette (I don't think that'd help your cough much :v:).

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
IIRC from my college psychopharmacology class, opium/heroin is also one of the best drugs for relieving the anxiety that arises when you can't breathe (due to lung disease or lung trauma).

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible
Regarding alcohol's medicinal use, a friend had kidney stones. When he couldn't afford surgery (which was deemed more risk than reward, anyway), a legit MD "prescribed" beer and sex. His wife was there, and she confirmed the story and was more for the idea than he was.

The beer was for diuretic effect. I think the sex was for endorphins, but it may have had a purpose beyond that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's one helluva prescription.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Eye surgeons have cabinets of medical cocaine for surgical purposes. I've always wondered if seized cocaine winds up getting used for that...

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Eye surgeons have cabinets of medical cocaine for surgical purposes. I've always wondered if seized cocaine winds up getting used for that...

The BBC did a good series on the history of drugs and medicine about a year ago, called Pain, Pus and Poison. In it, the medical journalist, Dr Michael Mosley, cheerfully partakes of drat near every painkiller he can get his paws on. He huffs some ether, puts cocaine in his eyeball, has some chloroform and then tops it off by getting completed rat-arsed on sodium thiopental. And that's only in the first episode, in the second one he toddles off to Atlanta to see if he can have a gander at their smallpox sample.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01f51s5/episodes/guide -it's getting repeated over the next couple of weeks, I'd strongly advise people looking for a well-presented overview of the history of medicine to watch it on the iPlayer once it becomes available.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Old medicines, tons of fun.

Asthma cigarettes, not recommended for children under 6.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Random Stranger posted:

All medicinal cocaine in America is made via an extraction of coca leaves in St. Louis by Mallinckrodt.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Using seized cocaine for medical purposes seems like it would be an accident waiting to happen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

All medicinal cocaine in America is made via an extraction of coca leaves in St. Louis by Mallinckrodt.

Well you're no fun.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gobbeldygook posted:

The de‐cocainised leaves are then used to flavour Coca‐Cola.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Feb 17, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Random Stranger posted:

Well you're no fun.

You'll find that Gobbeldygook actually works for Mallinckrodt and is in reality loads of fun.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

All I know is that quite a few doctors who use in drug addiction health care have tried most of the stuff at least once, just so they can imagine what the addict is feeling.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
So I was making pieces for a comicon costume and I needed to make some metal look rusted. I tried a simple mild acid (vinegar) and (30%) H2O2 solution after using a household degreaser on the metal. It worked fine on the first piece but the second piece refused to rust. I ended up using stronger acid with the same concentration of H2O2 and I apparently ended up making piranha solution. Fun stuff until it started trying to eat my pants.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

fallin1 posted:

So I was making pieces for a comicon costume and I needed to make some metal look rusted. I tried a simple mild acid (vinegar) and (30%) H2O2 solution after using a household degreaser on the metal. It worked fine on the first piece but the second piece refused to rust. I ended up using stronger acid with the same concentration of H2O2 and I apparently ended up making piranha solution. Fun stuff until it started trying to eat my pants.

Where'd you get nitric acid?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Rabbit Hill posted:

IIRC from my college psychopharmacology class, opium/heroin is also one of the best drugs for relieving the anxiety that arises when you can't breathe (due to lung disease or lung trauma).

or from opiate overdose

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Over in another thread, I learned that there's currently clinical trials for using Ketamine (vet tranquilizer-turned-rave drug) to combat severe depression in humans.

e: found the link:

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Feb 17, 2015

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

ArcMage posted:

You can get it at garden supply stores. It's used to change the PH of soil.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

ArcMage posted:

I used virgin sulfuric.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ArcMage posted:

Piranha solution is sulfuric acid and H2O2, not nitric acid. I've used it for REALLY stubborn drain clogs where the sulfuric alone couldn't handle it.

Edit: Beaten :doh:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Over in another thread, I learned that there's currently clinical trials for using Ketamine (vet tranquilizer-turned-rave drug) to combat severe depression in humans.

e: found the link:

I found this study a couple months ago. At John Hopkins, they are studying "Effects of Hallucinogens and Other Drugs on Mood and Performance".

quote:

Twenty volunteers between 21-50 years old will each participate in 16 total sessions, including sessions for: screening, preparation, experiment/drug, immediate follow-ups, a 1-month follow-up and 1 post completion urine collection. On each of five experimental session participants will orally ingest capsules of either a placebo or varying doses of one of 18 different psychoactive compounds.
Hallucinogens: DMT, 4-phosphoryloloxy-N-diethyltryptamine, dipropyltryptamine (DPT), ketamine, dextromethorphan, mescaline, PCP, psilocybin, salvinorin-A, LSD, d-lysergic acid amide (LSA), MDMA, cannabis

Sedatives/anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, secobarbital, temazepam, triazolam, zolpidem

Antihistamines: diphenhydramine, chlorpheniramine

Stimulants: d-amphetamine, caffeine, ephedrine, methylphenidate, diethylproprion

Opioids: heroin, morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, methadone, codeine

Other: alcohol, scopolamine, nicotine

Each volunteer will receive a hallucinogen on at least one of five sessions. More drugs are listed than will be administered to increase the degree to which volunteers are "blind" to the drugs being studied. It is important that the volunteer and research staff be blinded to specific drug conditions to minimize confounding the results with expectations about the nature of drug effects.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gobbeldygook posted:

I found this study a couple months ago. At John Hopkins, they are studying "Effects of Hallucinogens and Other Drugs on Mood and Performance".

Somewhere in the world, someone is genuinely attempting to use PCP to treat depression.

Godspeed you crazy scientists.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Un chien andalou posted:

You can get it at garden supply stores. It's used to change the PH of soil.

What concentration? Nitric acid's a big reagent when it comes to this thread.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Somewhere in the world, someone is genuinely attempting to use PCP to treat depression.

Godspeed you crazy scientists.

A study somewhere showed that LSD actually helped treat depression and chronic pain quite well but I'm damned if I can find it now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ArcMage posted:

I was surprised how easy it was to get a carboy of conc. nitric recently. I was expecting to sign a bunch of paperwork and explain what we needed it for (clean some machinery) and go on a register and so on and so forth. Instead it was "Wednesday OK?".
The fact that we buy other chemicals from them all the time probably helped, but I still expected it to need more than a phone call.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's not hard at all to get chemicals. The huge companies tend to only sell to university and registered research labs, but if you do a quick search you'll find a lot of smaller online stores that sell lots of stuff to anyone.

In most countries there are several levels of restricted chemicals, though. Common acids such as nitric tend to be not on it, but things used to make illegal drugs or explosives are. If you want to buy stuff that's on a list, they'll at least ask what it's needed for and send your information to the government. For more serious stuff you need to get a government permit first, which I know nothing about because I never had to order stuff like that.

This can lead to some weird things, though. There's quite a few "amateur chemists", which are basically people with more money than brain, that set up an entire lab in their basement and start synthesizing stuff (often not even drugs, just random chemicals) as a hobby. I don't really like the idea of people doing that in residential areas, but unless they order loads of restricted stuff or blow themselves up, nobody is going to stop them. I heard a story from a Norwegian amateur chemist who was questioned by the police because he happened to buy from a small chemical supplier who had also sold stuff to child-murderer Breivik.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

In most countries there are several levels of restricted chemicals, though. Common acids such as nitric tend to be not on it, but things used to make illegal drugs or explosives are. If you want to buy stuff that's on a list, they'll at least ask what it's needed for and send your information to the government. For more serious stuff you need to get a government permit first, which I know nothing about because I never had to order stuff like that.

Some seemingly innocuous stuff is on the DEA's radar. For example, it's practically impossible to buy iodine now because of its use in the HI/P synthesis of methamphetamine.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Common acids such as nitric tend to be not on it, but things used to make illegal drugs or explosives are.

Nitric acid is a precursor for... pretty much any explosive you care to name.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Drone_Fragger posted:

A study somewhere showed that LSD actually helped treat depression and chronic pain quite well but I'm damned if I can find it now.

Yeah, but even then, there's a pretty big gulf between LSD and angel dust.

The only way PCP is curing depression is "if I'm depressed, how can I fist-fight all these people?"

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

The only way PCP is curing depression is "if I'm depressed, how can I fist-fight all these people?"
PCP has an undeservedly bad rep. Ketamine was developed and sold as a replacement for PCP in anesthesia. They're very similar in their mechanisms of action, so it wouldn't surprise me if PCP was also an effective treatment for depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

pcp is not actually terminator juice, though yes, it is a far cry from LSD, which is one of the physically safest drugs out there. As far as medical efficacy, well...

A single dose of LSD seems promising for depression. The first LSD study in 40 years found that coupled with psychotherapy it is effective at improving the quality of life of terminal patients: article

Studies from the 60s seem to imply it is also effective at treating alcoholism after one dose: report (the article is behind a paywall so this is a bbc report link)

Finally, LSD has anecdotally been observed to be insanely effective at completely alleviating cluster headaches (report), which are one of the most fuckoff painful things a human being can endure. In fact, for many people, psychedelics seem to be the only thing that works on them - and nobody knows why (or even if this is anything other than placebo effect, though even for a self reported study, the level of efficacy is very promising), all while the drug prohibition stonewalls research into that. Shame.

dex_sda has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Feb 18, 2015