Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Welp. How many ssr dudes will make it to the finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Dear Howard Stark, I have a leetle question for you: Why did you design a piece of armour that is unable to be removed?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Well it wasn't built to explode, that's why Stark kept it away from people.

Origins of Damage Control!

If a world without Reed Richards, you need someone to build doomsday weapons in their spare time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Um what

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Oh what the hell now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man these guys are dicks.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Oh god. it's the rage virus

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh poo poo, rage

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This seems a lot like a petty act.

Holy poo poo its Kingsmen!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Angrymaker.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Freebird!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh my God

It's a Kingsman device

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your cheapass husband saved your life alright lady

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

That must have been one terrible movie!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Funny timing with Kingsman having just come out.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Well okay but what's their end goal?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

Funny timing with Kingsman having just come out.

Well, originally Kingsman was supposed to come out last September, this is just an odd coincidence.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That explains what happened in Russia.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Xtanstic posted:

Well okay but what's their end goal?

Weaponizing a rage gas would have plenty of uses. Have enemy soldiers tear themselves apart, have whole cities tear themselves apart, possibly rework it to strengthen your own soldiers.

Prerequisite to The Hulk.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something tells me that they have more than just one canister of Freebird.

It's also kinda what Red Skull did in Uncanny Avengers when he had Professer X's brain.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 18, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

During Peggy's interrogation, when Jack was in the shadows, leaning against the mirror, he looked like Ward. When I said that, my kid agreed.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, that was just a test to make sure it was still viable, he said as much when Dottie picked him up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Poor Douley. If only he'd been wearing his hat, fedoras are proof positive against mind control rays.

I really liked his nonchalant approach to police work. "You think there's a vicious foreign assassin hiding in the other building? Take the cripple and a bunch of mooks and go check it out. Don't even hide that you're coming, just kinda cruise in there like you own the place instead of taking any appropriate countermeasures. If you could split up like it's a Scooby-Doo caper and search one man per floor in a ten-story building, that'd be great...And definitely don't establish a perimeter or anything. Waste of time. Women can only take out squads of highly-trained agents if they're British."

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It's a madbomb!!!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Little Mac posted:

It's a madbomb!!!

That's... actually not a bad guess. It was a sonic device in 616, but I suppose that's a pretty minor liberty to take.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yeah madbomb was a sonic but I mean Dr. Faustus wasn't Russian and yet this guy is pretty much Dr. Faustus.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Stark is kind of evil, inventing all of these terrible weapons, huh? Jeez.

Also, I still don't understand what the end goal for Leviathan is. I thought it would have been Steve's blood, but they didn't even grab any of the crap they could have from the room, despite them having stolen blue prints earlier. So I guess they want to gas some more people, but how is that necessarily better than anything else they could have grabbed? Were they even interested in those super imploder bombs from before? I feel like I remember the dude saying he was selling them on his own because they didn't want them?

Fun episode though, outside of the Chief dying. Jarvis had better be in more Marvel stuff in the future.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Next year, for the Winter Break, we need The Adventures Of Peggy And Jarvis. Just those two, going on missions together.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

During Peggy's interrogation, when Jack was in the shadows, leaning against the mirror, he looked like Ward. When I said that, my kid agreed.

Does your kid think that Ward shot the dog? This is important.

ToastyPotato posted:

Jarvis had better be in more Marvel stuff in the future.

Give us more Agent Carter :argh:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Little Mac posted:

Yeah madbomb was a sonic but I mean Dr. Faustus wasn't Russian and yet this guy is pretty much Dr. Faustus.

No, I mean, he's definitely MCU Dr. Faustus. I doubt he'll be called that here (though he must have used the Faustus name at some point, as he was namedropped early in SHIELD S2), but he was holding a copy of the Marlowe play that was conspicuously in the middle of the frame.

Anyway, I really enjoyed that episode. I'm still kinda disappointed that Ivchenko/Faustus and Dottie are going to be the main antagonists for the finale; they're fun characters, but they feel like secondary villains to me, given that whoever's pulling their strings at Leviathan HQ remains perpetually offscreen. Oh well, hopefully we'll at least get a better sense of what their ultimate agenda is next week.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I think the whole thing about captain america's blood was a misdirection to everyone and that Leviathan was always after that rage gas in the first place. It would make sense that the battle they keep talking about happened when a mass quantity of the gas was leaked onto the battlefield and everyone killed each other. The US general probably wanted to weaponize it but Stark was so opposed he quit on the spot. I don't think Leviathan have even said a word about the blood at all.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Working out this timeline...

Stark invents a weapon that is used on Russian soldiers at the battle of Finow. There's a massive cover-up as to what really happened at the battle. This leads to Stark having a what-have-I-done moment and he basically breaks off weapon sales to the US military. The US military is, to probably put it mildly, displeased.

Leviathan, as a covert Russian intelligence agency, knows that something new was used on their soldiers and presumably after some intelligence gathering, figures out that Stark has some new weapon and that this new weapon is in his vault of undesirable inventions. They send one of their agents, Leet Brannis, to break into Stark's vault and steal his weapons. Unfortunately for Leviathan, Leet Brannis ends up deciding to go his own way and starts selling Stark's inventions on the black market for his own profit. He hires Jerome Zandow to guard the boat full of Stark weapons while he sells the rest. He finds Van Ert and works out a profit-sharing partnership where Brannis supplies the formula and Van Ert makes the Nitramene bombs. Then, Brannis finds buyers in people like Spider Raymond (and others).

Stark's inventions start showing up in enemy hands, and he's called to Congress to testify and answer testy questions from Congressmen. When he disappears, SSR is called in to find him.

Meanwhile, Leviathan notices their agent just went rogue (fairly obvious with Stark weapons showing up) so they send Sasha Demidov to track down Brannis and probably kill him (for his disloyalty) after finding where the Stark weapons are. Demidov keeps running into more and more issues as he tries to find Brannis, including one Agent Carter that he specifically requests further orders on. I would imagine that given the existence of Black Widows, the Russian side is a bit more savvy re: competence of female spies and would have a dossier on Agent Carter in specific with her war records and high profile relations with both Steve and more relevant to their current line of inquiry, Howard Stark. Given that background, they dispatch Dottie Underwood right away to stealthily get into a good position near Carter where she can gather information, support Leviathan operations in the area, and neutralize a good agent on the other side when ordered to.

By the time she gets there, Demidov is explosively dead, as is Brannis, so she just gets into a good position and waits for further orders. Finding Stark's inventions in the boat did not seem like a small or quiet operation so Dottie knows the SSR has, at least, Brannis' boat and Jerome Zandow. She waits for a good time then kills Krzeminski because he's a witness and Zandow for knowing about Leviathan (or at least Brannis) to start containing info on their organization and methods. (Can't talk about Leviathan if you're dead.)

But Dottie's location in the Griffith means she's not in a good position (and, Agent Carter aside, the right gender) to know what's going on inside the SSR. Leviathan uses a combination of the typewriter message to draw the SSR to the location then the Baby Widow to make sure they get far enough into the facility where they can find Dr. Ivchenko to create a scenario where they can insert a man on the inside. Meanwhile, Dottie cases Carter's room and finds proof in a photograph that SSR has the Stark goods they're looking for. This means Dottie doesn't have to interrogate Carter for information. While Dr. Ivchenko does his information gathering, she acts as support. She also gets her next order to kill Carter, which ends up not working out when SSR agents arrive before she gets to do so.

And this last episode is the two Leviathan agents causing chaos and acquiring and testing said Stark weapon.

... So, maybe this was a long way to say that Leviathan seems a bit angry over Stark's weapon being used on their soldiers. :v:

Katreus fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 18, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man I'm really enjoying this show, is next week the finale?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
The chief died like Segata Sanshiro threw him, I just about choked on a glass of water when that happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lCF8O2N50&t=236s
(3 minutes 56 seconds)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Barry Convex posted:

No, I mean, he's definitely MCU Dr. Faustus. I doubt he'll be called that here (though he must have used the Faustus name at some point, as he was namedropped early in SHIELD S2), but he was holding a copy of the Marlowe play that was conspicuously in the middle of the frame.

Anyway, I really enjoyed that episode. I'm still kinda disappointed that Ivchenko/Faustus and Dottie are going to be the main antagonists for the finale; they're fun characters, but they feel like secondary villains to me, given that whoever's pulling their strings at Leviathan HQ remains perpetually offscreen. Oh well, hopefully we'll at least get a better sense of what their ultimate agenda is next week.

It sucks this is going to get canceled despite glowing reviews for the most part. At least it was built with a contained story in mind from the start.

ToastyPotato posted:

Stark is kind of evil, inventing all of these terrible weapons, huh? Jeez.

Remember a lot of them were invented by mistake, then just kept because they did something.

Maybe the rage gas was intended to get an entire party high off their rear end in one hit, seems like something Stark'd do.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 18, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Remember a lot of them were invented by mistake, then just kept because they did something.

I actually really enjoyed his refreshingly honest explanation in the first episode for why he created a lot of them - he can't stop his brain from coming up with ideas, and his curiosity means he can't resist trying to see if he can make it work.... and then when it's done he knows it is too dangerous so he locks it up in a vault, but he could never destroy any of them because they're things HE made.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Right but hear me out: what if he just doesn't do that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Right but hear me out: what if he just doesn't do that.

You might as well ask Stan Lee not to make cameos.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That was a good episode. drat, this show picked up steam towards the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know one thing I like about the show's aesthetic (and am going to miss) is just how dark it gets. It'll be rolling along all light hearted, and then feature scenes of people gouging each other's eyes out and exploding. And yet, it doesn't feel insane.

• Locked thread