Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Why is the HTC One not a recommended phone? Is the OP still up to date?

I think the omission of the One M8 is an oversight. Its tradeoffs aren't as bad as the S5's or the G3's, according to most of us (and most online reviews) anyway. OP's also missing budget phones and dosen't actively discourage ppl from getting the OnePlus. Basically I'm gonna quote myself:

Web Jew.0 posted:

We should maybe have a goon recommendation blurb in the OP like:

Flagship:
1. Sony Z3 ~ Droid Turbo
2. Moto X (2014) ~ HTC One M8
--
n. OnePlus One

Phablet:
1. Nexus 6 ~ Galaxy Note 4

Small:
1. Sony Z3 Compact

Value:
1. Moto X (2013)
2. Moto G 4G (2013) ~ Moto G 4G (2014)

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I finally updated Facebook messenger on my N6 and it's improved battery life dramatically. Good catch whoever it was that spotted that.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I found a weird nexus 6 thing! It sometimes... Reboots? Except it doesn't. The at&t jingle/boot sound plays out of nowhere (it's happened.. 3 times and all 3 the phone has just been sitting). When I check it, the screen is black and won't come on. I hold down the power button and it starts booting. Not sure what it's doing.

Completely different subject, but turbo charging is goddamn amazing. If you are looking to buy a new phone and it doesn't have turbo charging you should probably look at a different phone. It's seriously amazing.

hotsauce posted:

(ya'll may be happy to learn I've moved on from the griptape stunt...)

Moved on to what?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5, and it updated to Lollipop and now the light to indicate I have notifications no longer works. How do I enable that again?

Settings -> Display -> LED Indicator

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Desk Lamp posted:

Settings -> Display -> LED Indicator

LED Indicator is turned on. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I said come in! posted:

LED Indicator is turned on. :(
Okay then Phone -> Garbage -> Don't buy a Samsung

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Okay then Phone -> Garbage -> Don't buy a Samsung

This advice actually worked. Thanks. :homebrew:

In all seriousness, I would not have bought Samsung if it wasn't for the great deal I got on this phone, and Sprint only carries Samsung and iPhone.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

I said come in! posted:

This advice actually worked. Thanks. :homebrew:

In all seriousness, I would not have bought Samsung if it wasn't for the great deal I got on this phone, and Sprint only carries Samsung and iPhone.

A Samsung and on Sprint? You done hosed up, son.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whizbang posted:

A Samsung and on Sprint? You done hosed up, son.

Should have kept my 2012 Moto X.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

I said come in! posted:

Should have kept my 2012 Moto X.

That came out in late 2013 (unless you mean Droid X or some such nonsense)

Anyway on my LG (which has similarly lovely software) there is a tickbox under Display - Notification LED - Downloaded apps that you need to check to allow non-LG apps to use the LED so have a hunt through the menus for anything that looks similar. Also Lollipop's 'Do not disturb' mode seems to stop the LED from working so make sure that's switched off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dissss posted:

Anyway on my LG (which has similarly lovely software) there is a tickbox under Display - Notification LED - Downloaded apps that you need to check to allow non-LG apps to use the LED so have a hunt through the menus for anything that looks similar. Also Lollipop's 'Do not disturb' mode seems to stop the LED from working so make sure that's switched off.

Sorry, 2013 Moto X. The first gen one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

This is good advice.

More good advice might be to see if Light Flow can do anything for you. Try the free version before plunking down money for the paid, much better structured version.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Hey guys, my gf got a Samsung s5 because apparently it's cool to not have an iphone now.

Anyways every now and then she gets into a screen she can't get out of, like looking at a photo sent by SMS.
It's happened a couple of times on various apps and annoys the poo poo out of me, there is no 'back' button and all manner of swiping, pressing and screaming doesn't fix it.

What am I missing?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Chadzok posted:

Hey guys, my gf got a Samsung s5 because apparently it's cool to not have an iphone now.

Anyways every now and then she gets into a screen she can't get out of, like looking at a photo sent by SMS.
It's happened a couple of times on various apps and annoys the poo poo out of me, there is no 'back' button and all manner of swiping, pressing and screaming doesn't fix it.

What am I missing?

The back button

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

bronin posted:

The back button

Thanks mate.

There is no back button. there is rotate, save, set as.., nothing else. None of the physical buttons on the phone help.
Why am I such a failure at life?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Chadzok posted:

Thanks mate.

There is no back button. there is rotate, save, set as.., nothing else. None of the physical buttons on the phone help.

Might be immersion mode? Try swiping down from the top of the screen.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Chadzok posted:

Thanks mate.

The back button is the capacitive key to the right of the home button - it is pretty much impossible to see if the backlight is off for some reason.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

It seems like tapping the bottom of the body of the phone (samsung 5s) goes back to messages. There is no indication that this is a button or even sensitive to touch.
Why they turned a user interface into a loving game of Where's Wally, I'll never know.
Thanks for the help Android thread, and rest assured I will never buy this product for myself or others.

EDIT: Yeah, guy above nailed it. Cheers.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
You got Samsunged

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yep mixing two capacitive buttons with a physical one was pretty stupid but it's pretty much Samsung's trademark now so I doubt they'll change it.

I think there is a setting somewhere to keep the buttons lit while the screen is on, but once you know they're there it's kinda pointless.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

edit: How do I change the folder which camera saves images to? (Lollipop)

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 18, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stoat posted:

edit: How do I change the folder which camera saves images to? (Lollipop)
If you're referring to the stock Google one, you don't.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
My Galaxy S3 died, should I just get an S5 or are some of the other phones better?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Boz0r posted:

My Galaxy S3 died, should I just get an S5 or are some of the other phones better?

Get a Sony Z3

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Boz0r posted:

It depends on how much you care about having a good camera. If that's your top priority, the S5 is your best option but even then the Sony Z3/Z3c is a probably still a better choice. If you don't need the camera to be top of the line, then you should consider the Nexus 6, the Moto X, or the Motorola Droid Turbo (if you're on Verizon) instead.

What carrier and how much do you care about the size?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I hooked up to a bluetooth device on my Nexus 6, and now I can't stop getting pairing requests from it.

The device is a Nyrius BR-30 audio link (http://nyrius.com/product/Songo_Link.eng-19-videos-88.html), and every 30 seconds or so I get a pairing request from it. I've tried accepting the request, and forgetting the device, as well as clearing data for Bluetooth Share in the app settings.

What else can I try?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

LastInLine posted:

It depends on how much you care about having a good camera. If that's your top priority, the S5 is your best option but even then the Sony Z3/Z3c is a probably still a better choice. If you don't need the camera to be top of the line, then you should consider the Nexus 6, the Moto X, or the Motorola Droid Turbo (if you're on Verizon) instead.

What carrier and how much do you care about the size?

I'm in Denmark, so I have TDC. They don't have Motorolas, but the do have Samsung, Nokia, Sony, Huawei and LG.

I though the Galaxies were a fine size.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Boz0r posted:

I'm in Denmark, so I have TDC. They don't have Motorolas, but the do have Samsung, Nokia, Sony, Huawei and LG.

If those were my choices I'd pick the Sony Z3 or Z3c if you prefer a smaller device (an S3 would be solidly in the "a smaller device" camp). They've got great cameras, outstanding battery life, and pretty good software. They're also waterproof.

BoyBlunder posted:

I hooked up to a bluetooth device on my Nexus 6, and now I can't stop getting pairing requests from it.

The device is a Nyrius BR-30 audio link (http://nyrius.com/product/Songo_Link.eng-19-videos-88.html), and every 30 seconds or so I get a pairing request from it. I've tried accepting the request, and forgetting the device, as well as clearing data for Bluetooth Share in the app settings.

What else can I try?
Did it ever work? Are you rooted?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

LastInLine posted:

If those were my choices I'd pick the Sony Z3 or Z3c if you prefer a smaller device (an S3 would be solidly in the "a smaller device" camp). They've got great cameras, outstanding battery life, and pretty good software. They're also waterproof.

How durable are they? I've smashed two galaxies.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Boz0r posted:

I've never seen one in person but I might recommend you buy a case.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I had the annoying "I'm not really going to update all the apps" thing today, and now the "update all" button is unresponsive. I tried backing out of the Play Store app and then swiping it away from the app switcher, no luck. I then did those and also went into the Settings -> Apps and force stopped the Play Store. Still no response from that drat button! I guess I'll update these two apps by hand.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Boz0r posted:

They are the least durable flagship phone. Sony goes for looks over function - although everyone has adapted a similar style since so the looks aren't as unique anymore either.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

They are the least durable flagship phone. Sony goes for looks over function - although everyone has adapted a similar style since so the looks aren't as unique anymore either.

It won't shatter if you look at it wrong. My Z1 has suffered quite a few drops with a very basic case (one of these) and its all perfectly intact.

If you ever drop your phone, you should really just get a case for it no matter what you buy. It makes all phones as durable as each other (though depending on the case quality too).

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I love my rooted HTC one m8.

I almost got the Sony Z3, but I figured Sony's proprietary stuff would annoy/break on me if I modded it much. Assuming Sony didn't lay mines and cantrips on the path of modding/customisation.

Sony's "ecosystem" annoys me almost as much as Apples. (Am I wrong?)

Also I probably won't get ps4 ever or until it's like $150

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Boz0r posted:

How much are you willing to spend on a phone? You can get an unlocked Xiaomi MI4 (a chinese phone running MIUI - Android 4.4.4) from $369.99 from http://www.xiaomishop.com/28-eu-direct

It can be had in either a 16GB or a 64GB version.

Got one myself for roughly DKR 2500,- including shipping.

A really good phone - but I sold it when we at work got a Samsung Note 4.

E: Any particular reason you're on TDC? If not, you should change company to something else, TDC is just too expensive.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Did it ever work? Are you rooted?

Yeah, the dongle worked fine, but I'm done with it, and my co-worker's using it now.

I am also rooted, yes.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

galahan posted:

I love my rooted HTC one m8.

I almost got the Sony Z3, but I figured Sony's proprietary stuff would annoy/break on me if I modded it much. Assuming Sony didn't lay mines and cantrips on the path of modding/customisation.

Sony's "ecosystem" annoys me almost as much as Apples. (Am I wrong?)

Also I probably won't get ps4 ever or until it's like $150

EDIT: This is probably rooted-thread talk but since it's instrumental in determining a purchase for many people it probably also belongs here:

Pretty much everything rooting-related involves checking XDA for factory image availability (and workarounds to put back useful subroutines that got deleted just because you unlocked the bootloader, Sony) these days, because Lollipop changed the update model so it'll abort updates directly if literally anything is off about partitions like /system that are ostensibly not user-accessible.

Yes, you should probably do this before ever ordering the phone.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 18, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Qualcomm announced new 4xx and 6xx range chips.

This graphic is hillarious to me. Enjoy your pathetic 150Mbps DL, "curious explorer" plebs.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

EDIT: This is probably rooted-thread talk but since it's instrumental in determining a purchase for many people it probably also belongs here:

Pretty much everything rooting-related involves checking XDA for factory image availability (and workarounds to put back useful subroutines that got deleted just because you unlocked the bootloader, Sony) these days, because Lollipop changed the update model so it'll abort updates directly if literally anything is off about partitions like /system that are ostensibly not user-accessible.

Yes, you should probably do this before ever ordering the phone.

Sony factory images (or FTF's) are readily available the same time OTA's roll out. Getting root without unlocking the boot loader on my Z3C was tedious, but not particularly difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If everyone knew how to find all that out we wouldn't need a rooted thread.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Qualcomm announced new 4xx and 6xx range chips.

This graphic is hillarious to me. Enjoy your pathetic 150Mbps DL, "curious explorer" plebs.

They put a fifty-meg upload chip higher than a hundred-meg one.

Even though 300 down is already local-storage-tier.

It's disingenuous as poo poo is what it is. (Actually more than; actual poo poo doesn't really have pretenses.)